PDA

View Full Version : Daly up to more dirty tricks

Charlie Tuna
11-15-2010, 02:15 PM
http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Devils-in-the-details-for-sailing-agreement-107818444.html

BobJ
11-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Did you guys read this? There is NFW this is going to happen:

"Many of the obligations The City would agree to involve persuading other government agencies to help — at no cost. It’s not clear how much power The City will have over the actions of these other entities. Under the agreement, within 180 days of being chosen as the host city, San Francisco officials must do the following:

Water space: The City must persuade the U.S. Coast Guard to grant exclusive use to space on the Bay, between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. on race days — which could be more than 50 days over three years. Ferries and shipping vessels would have to operate outside those hours.

Air space: Also between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m., for more than 50 days over three years, the event would require an exclusive, 6,000-foot-tall air space in an area above the event and extending a half-mile laterally in all directions. The City must convince the Federal Aviation Administration to grant this approval.

National parklands: The City must attain approval from the U.S. Park Service and others for use of their waterfront areas in San Francisco.

Duty free event: The City must attain federal and state approvals to import event-related things without paying duties, taxes, fees or bonds.

Immigration help: The City must help foreigners who work for a racing team attain visas to work in the U.S.

Channels of communications: Authorization from the Federal Communications Commission to use 150 frequencies for the event, to be used for radio, television and Internet broadcasting and other communications.

Free weather services: Persuade the National Weather Service to install land stations and buoys within 25 miles of The City, and provide real time data to the event authorities, free of charge."

war dog
11-20-2010, 10:00 PM
4 out 7 of those were brought up at the -RA awards thingamabob..........ifin I was a betting man I would bet on....??????

IOR Geezer
11-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Did you guys read this? There is NFW this is going to happen:

"Many of the obligations The City would agree to involve persuading other government agencies to help — at no cost. It’s not clear how much power The City will have over the actions of these other entities. Under the agreement, within 180 days of being chosen as the host city, San Francisco officials must do the following:

Water space: The City must persuade the U.S. Coast Guard to grant exclusive use to space on the Bay, between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. on race days — which could be more than 50 days over three years. Ferries and shipping vessels would have to operate outside those hours.

Air space: Also between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m., for more than 50 days over three years, the event would require an exclusive, 6,000-foot-tall air space in an area above the event and extending a half-mile laterally in all directions. The City must convince the Federal Aviation Administration to grant this approval.

National parklands: The City must attain approval from the U.S. Park Service and others for use of their waterfront areas in San Francisco.

Duty free event: The City must attain federal and state approvals to import event-related things without paying duties, taxes, fees or bonds.

Immigration help: The City must help foreigners who work for a racing team attain visas to work in the U.S.

Channels of communications: Authorization from the Federal Communications Commission to use 150 frequencies for the event, to be used for radio, television and Internet broadcasting and other communications.

Free weather services: Persuade the National Weather Service to install land stations and buoys within 25 miles of The City, and provide real time data to the event authorities, free of charge."

Yep, and if early explorers sailed to the west, they would fall right off the face of the earth.

"Can't, never did nothing"

BobJ
11-21-2010, 05:04 PM
That's the City of San Francisco getting seven different Federal agencies to cave for a yacht race and do it on a schedule. I think finding a face of the earth to sail off of would be easier. However, I'll also suggest that once SF is picked and the wheels are in motion, some of these "obligations" will be forgotten. I wonder what Larry's recourse is under the agreement(s) if the City can't deliver.

Sanity Check
11-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Others no doubt have more knowledge of this than me, but I take what is written in the Examiner with more than a bit of NaCl.

When I read "Water space: The City must persuade the U.S. Coast Guard to grant exclusive use to space on the Bay, between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. on race days — which could be more than 50 days over three years. Ferries and shipping vessels would have to operate outside those hours," it calls into question notions I've got about the supremacy of maritime law and inspires me to consider a comparison of the millions spent on AC racing with the potentially greater financial harm to shipping companies and shippers if they are forced to keep - say - several container ships full of crap from China waiting.

(Well, this isn't going to be blocking the Deep Water Shipping Lane anyhow - is it? Maybe the southern part of Anchorage Nine?)

IOR Geezer
11-22-2010, 09:37 AM
My understanding is the majority of ferries and shipping companies have already signed on to working with BMWO and the City to make these things happen.
The USCG, can at will, shut down any commercial traffic in and out of SF Bay, and did so in the days immediately following the events of 911, rerouting or delaying
arrival and departure of container ships and tankers is completely achievable, and with advanced notice, the large commercial shipping companies can alter their
timing accordingly.

The FAA flight limit is, I assume standard with any open arena major sporting/concert event, of which the the Bay Area hosts 200 plus every year.

mjr
11-23-2010, 04:18 PM
the FAA flight limit seems a little stricter than it would be for most events such games at SBC, Cal, the 'stick... obviously not as strict as fleet week is. i could be wrong though

im def gonna try to make the meeting next week. will there be public comments allowed?

PD Staff
11-23-2010, 08:32 PM
It took some pawing through the port website, but I found this:

San Francisco Port Commission

Rodney Fong, PresidentKimberly Brandon, Vice PresidentAnn Lazarus, Commissioner Monique Moyer, Executive Director Amy Quesada, Commission Secretary
Phone: 415-274-0400; Fax: 415-274-0412 Phone: 415-274-0406; Fax: 415-274-0412

AGENDA
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 30, 2010
9:30 A.M. OPEN SESSION
PORT COMMISSION HEARING room, SECOND FLOOR
FERRY BUILDING, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94111

PLEASE NOTE THE TIME OF THE MEETING

The Port Commission Agenda as well as Staff Reports/Explanatory Documents available to the public and provided to the Commission are posted on the Port’s Website at www.sfport.com. The agenda packet is also available at the Pier 1 Reception Desk.

If any materials related to an item on this agenda have been distributed to the Port Commission after distribution of the agenda packet, those materials are available for public inspection at the Port Commission Secretary’s office located at Pier 1 during normal office hours.

1. CALL TO ORDER / ROLL CALL

2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES - October 26, 2010

3. ANNOUNCEMENTS

A. Announcement of Prohibition of Sound Producing Devices During the Meeting
Please be advised that the ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers, and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the Chair may order the removal from the meeting room of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic device.

B. Announcement of Time Allotment For Public Comments
Please be advised that a member of the public has up to three minutes to make pertinent public comments on each agenda item unless the Port Commission adopts a shorter period on any item.

4. EXECUTIVE

A. Executive Director’s Report
San Francisco Giants – World Series Champions
Crab Season – November 2010 to June 2011
Pier 70 RFQ Responses extended from November 18, 2010 to December 13, 2010

5. PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT

A. Resolution approving the Host City and Venue Agreement among the City, the America's Cup Event Authority and the San Francisco America's Cup Organizing Committee for the 34th America's Cup, authorizing and urging the Mayor or his designee and the Port to execute the Host City and Venue Agreement; and authorizing the Executive Director of the Port and such other City officials as appropriate to take such steps and execute such additional agreements as are consistent with the Host City and Venue Agreement to bring the 34th America's Cup to the San Francisco Bay. (Resolution No. 10-73)

6. REAL ESTATE

A. Request Rescission of Port Commission Resolution 08-61 approving a First Amendment to Lease No. L-12090 with Darling International, Inc., for premises located at Seawall Lot 344 and Pier 92 (Resolution No. 10-74) and Request Approval of Modified First Amendment to Lease No. L-12090 to expand the permitted uses to include construction and operation of a biodiesel production facility in compliance with a Port-approved Operations Plan and adopting California Environmental Quality Act findings. (Resolution No. 10-75)

7. NEW BUSINESS

8. PUBLIC COMMENT

Public comment is permitted on any matter within Port jurisdiction and is not limited to agenda items. Public comment on non-agenda items may be raised during New Business/Public Comment. A member of the public has up to three minutes to make pertinent public comments before action is taken on any agenda item and during the new business/public comment period. It is strongly recommended that public comments be submitted in writing so they can be distributed to the Commissioners for their review. Please fill out a speaker card and hand it to the Commission Secretary. If you have any question regarding the agenda, please contact the Commission Secretary at 274-0406.