PDA

View Full Version : Installing a new holding tank....help!

Tigger
11-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Getting the hoses onto the fittings is proving to be a bit of an ordeal. Does anyone have any helpful hints to make this easier?

Mad
11-16-2010, 12:17 AM
Getting the hoses onto the fittings is proving to be a bit of an ordeal. Does anyone have any helpful hints to make this easier?

Have you tried the old hot water trick?

Buzz Light Beer
11-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Vaseline always make my hose fit where it's tight.

Tigger
11-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Vaseline always make my hose fit where it's tight.

Surprised it took this long for that comment. In all seriousness, I take it that vaseline will not over time have an adverse effect on the hose?

If I finish this project without contracting cholera I'll consider it to be a success.

Buzz Light Beer
11-16-2010, 12:22 PM
In all serious, I would say yes, the make special wire pulling lube you can buy at any home depot which would also work, just more expensive.
Its soap you have to watch out for as it will dry out lines. The hot water tip is good too, do both and you will feel like John Holmes!

Sanity Check
11-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Soap dries out lines? How about dish detergent? I remember being advised to use dish detergent for installing a new windshield - I didn't notice any rapid deterioration of the seal over the following 10 years I owned the vehicle. Could have been bad advice because it didn't come from a automotive glass pro.

When having difficulty with smaller sized hoses I use a technique involving long-nosed pliers: inserting the pliers and then pulling apart on the handles. You might be able to figure something like that out to stretch the hose, like two beefy screwdrivers and a fulcrum the right size.

hobot
12-18-2010, 08:26 PM
You did try a heat gun, right?
Works everytime.

Ballard Sailor
12-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Heat gun is it, just pull it away before it catches the hose on fire.

Old Codger
12-20-2010, 06:40 PM
If it's the clear fibre re-enforced hose don't use a heat gun. Vaseline and/or a small pot of very hot water is about as far as you want to go with that pipe.

Shife
12-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Syl-Glyde and careful application of a heat gun. Substitute the heat gun for boiling water for less risk of damaging hose with heat. The boiling water part can be tricky in a cramped boat though. Syl-Glyde poses no risk of degrading the hose which can happen with petroleum products like Vaseline.

Sanity Check
12-20-2010, 08:13 PM
... oh yeah... now I remember... "my" trick of using long-nosed pliers inside small hose to stretch it scales up nicely with Channel-Lock (R) pliers for larger-sized hose.

Old Codger
12-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Perhaps knowing exactly what kind of hose would help determine the best course of action.

Shife
12-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Perhaps knowing exactly what kind of hose would help determine the best course of action.

I made the assumption of a waste holding tank, in which case the hose selection is pretty limited unless you enjoy smelling poo fumes. A fresh water tank opens the door to a few more hose choices, but any that would be that stiff during install would benefit from the same treatment as stated before.

Sanity Check
12-20-2010, 09:16 PM
it wasn't an assumption... the mention of sewage-borne disease came up early in the thread.

Shife
12-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Yummy

hobot
12-21-2010, 12:38 AM
better to work on in the wintertime than the summertime.

Shife
12-21-2010, 06:57 AM
I've got some stories about a frozen shitter tank, a shower, and a toilet brush, but I don't wanna make anybody sick.

Bob Hughes
12-21-2010, 08:06 AM
I've got some stories about a frozen shitter tank, a shower, and a toilet brush, but I don't wanna make anybody sick.

I can only imagine.....

Ishmael
12-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Hot water and a smear of Teflon grease works a charm and won't affect the hose.

Tigger
01-01-2011, 12:44 AM

What is it about boats and poo?

My nautical waterloo was a holding tank that wasn't quite reassembled tightly enough after transport.

Some things one learns the hard way, like double checking work that you would think had been done correctly...