PDA

View Full Version : Butyl tape- where?

Ajax
11-20-2010, 05:19 AM
I'm having a hell of a time finding butyl tape for bedding hardware. What other names might it go by, and who commonly carries it?

So far, I've tried Ace and the big box hardware stores (yech). From what I understand, butyl tape's appearance is a roll of sticky white tape that vulcanizes or dissolves into a gooey white mass that seals up around hardware penetrations.

The closest thing I found, was brown caulking in roll form.

Advice?

viktor
11-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Try an auto glass place,they use it to install windshields ect. Good luck

Charlie Tuna
11-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Try Googling " white butyl tape", I did and came up with lots of locations, sun roof installers, janitorial suppliers, Hengs, Nextag etc!

Good Luck!

Sanity Check
11-20-2010, 11:24 AM
CT, what meanest thou by this odde term "Googling?"

I bed-in deck hardware using Boatlife polysulfide caulk by coating each surface and letting it just start to set up, then put the pieces together and lightly tighten the hardware to avoid squeezing all the material out of the seam. Only after it has completely set-up is final torquing done.

Shife
11-20-2010, 01:16 PM
Auto Value parts stores carry it. They may only have the 5/16in round in stock, but they can order all the sizes both round and flat. If you go too big, you will be forever scraping off the ooze that will continue to seep out of the joint. Too small and she'll leak. Auto Value is a jobber that supplies auto body and service departments, as well as Joe Public, so they carry all the oddball shit like stik-it paper and butyl tape that AutoZone doesn't.

Phantomsailor
11-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Try an RV Parts supplier. Got a roll of 1/8th X 3/4" light grey butyl tape at the local RV store here in SF Bay. RVers use the stuff to bed windows, etc.

Ajax
01-12-2011, 05:56 AM
Cool, thanks guys. Sorry I've been so absent from the forum!

Mad
01-12-2011, 06:44 AM
Try a glazing (window) company.

Jack Fate
01-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Not a fan of Butyl. Tends to get compressed out after the hardware works a bit. I would suggest silicone rubber caulking. I would also suggest you slightly counter sink the holes in the deck so that the silicone can form a sort of O ring seal around the fastener. This works a charm to prevent deck leaks.

Shife
01-12-2011, 05:18 PM
If used properly silicone rubber is great for sealing things. Problem is, nobody ever uses it correctly. The part gets tightened down before the sealant cures and leaks form after light use. Don't fully tighten the fasters when using silicone. Wait until the product cures and then fully tighten.

Don't forget to tighten the nut and hold the bolt steady. Otherwise the fastener holes will be a guaranteed leak point.

That said, I prefer butyl. It's messy but it works.

The Flash
01-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Looks like McMaster.com carries it - but then - what don't they carry?