PDA

View Full Version : IOR Rendezvous in Port Madison Washington

Ballard Sailor
12-23-2010, 10:43 AM
I posted (http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=113687) this idea back in September over on SA (http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=113687) and the idea seems to be gaining some traction. Could just be a fun weekend rendezvous with some cool old boats. Do a race Saturday with IOR ratings if we can, learn how to fly that old Blooper - find out what a Big Boy really is - and I'll bet simply have a great time having a BBQ/potluck at the clubhouse saturday night.

Who would be interested in joining in on an IOR weekend in Port Madison? If your boat was built with the rule in mind your in. If we can find some Certs we could do some good old IOR racing and get those (mostly now cruising boats or houses, but some are still racing avidly...) off the dock and get together for a weekend.

Anyone got a good list of certs? I'm betting Bob P does.....

Starting to look at June 11th or July 2nd as open dates, with two other possibilities of june 18th or July 9th if it wouldn't conflict with something the YC is already doing....

IOR Geezer
12-23-2010, 11:17 AM
I like it! You will too, pushing water can get quite exciting!

Ballard Sailor
12-23-2010, 06:38 PM
July 2nd is the date!

Ballard Sailor
01-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Ok, it's on, the YC board has given approval and it's time to get some boats and sponsors together for the Rendezvous.

Here (http://nw.moore24.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/IOR-Rendezvous-announcement.pdf) is a link to the Rendezvous announcement!

Ballard Sailor
01-13-2011, 10:52 AM
and now we have a guarantee of great pictures, Jan's Marine Photography will be out shooting the event.

soling2003
02-27-2011, 11:28 PM
anyone needing a cert just let me know and I'll see what I can do. You have your stability tested recently? LOL

Ballard Sailor
02-28-2011, 06:42 AM
Tested it on Saturday night after a bottle of Linnie.

Ballard Sailor
05-24-2011, 08:48 AM
IOR Rendezvous July 1st & 2nd 2011

IOR, the International Offshore Rule sailboat measurement system drifted out of the limelight almost 20 years ago, but many of the well built seaworthy (and not so seaworthy) boats IOR created are still out sailing, both cruising and racing, on a regular basis. This weekend’s for you and your boat!

This Rendezvous isn’t for just one brand of boat, or for boats built by one particular designer. This rendezvous is a celebration of a now defunct measurement system that produced some incredible, some crazy, and some downright fast racing and cruising sailboats. “Am I eligible to attend?” you say - well let me clarify it for you. If you answer yes to any of the following questions we expect to see you at the IOR rendezvous 2011.

Does your boat have an IOR certificate?
Does your boat have speed bulges?
Does your boat have a bustle?
Did your boat come with a Blooper, Big Boy, or Tall Boy?
Do you describe your boat as a fraction between mini and 2 followed by the word tonner and get quizzical looks from those listening?
Do you describe racing your boat as “moments of sheer terror followed by sailing upwind?”
Is your IOR boat one of these: Supper Apple, Lobo, Sachem, Lady Bug, Golden Apple, Strider, Mustard Seed, Chiron, Zoo, Zap, some SC50's, Anomaly, Kirby 30's, What? A Tripp!, Santana 20's, Shoot the Moon, CC 1/2tons, CC 34, Cat. 38 of that era, Hagar, Aurora, Kentucky Woman, Charisma, Is. 40's, Heather, Buchaneer 33's, Buchaneer 30's, Mo Betta, Tyrone Shoelaces, Tomahawk, Bigwig, Impact, Wall St. Duck, NY 36's, Wisp, Chimera, Ganbare 35's, Delecate Balance, Counter Balance, Tsunami, Oz, Airpower, Union, Crescendo, Madam X, White Lies, Katrinka Finklesplat, Absolutely, Christopher Robin, Rogers 32, Rogers 39, Drako, Phoenix, Primises, Irish Rose, Brigadoon, Windy Feat, Peterson 35's, Pixie, Vantage, Baggins, Snook, Northair, and Pendragon, Challenger, Aquilla, Sly, Obsession, Neptune's Car, Cheeky, Mad Max, Candyman, Fast Break, Chaos, Dirigo, Quantum Leap, San Juan 24’s and 30’s

These are just some of the criteria that will make you eligible to attend this incredibly fun gathering of some of the worlds finest racing and cruising yachts. If you answered “YES” to one or more of the questions above, your in!

Here are the Particulars:

When: July 1st and 2nd 2011
Where: Port Madison, Bainbridge Island, Washington
Hosted by: Port Madison Yacht Club
Sponsors: Jan’s Marine Photography, Pressure-drop.us, Ballard Sails, NorthWest Rigging, Ullman Sails Seattle, POSSIBLY OTHERS?????
Event Itinerary: Reach over impromptu race on Friday July 1st. Racing in greater Port Madison Bay area Saturday afternoon July 2nd (hopefully utilizing IOR numbers, bloopers encouraged). Potluck dinner at Port Madison Yacht Club’s shoreside club house after racing Saturday. Sunday head off to whatever 3rd and 4th of July festivities you where planning with your friends and/or family. Many boats will be going on the Poulsbo for the 3rd of July raft up.

Descriptive information: The tides are LOW in the middle of the day at -2.4 area, which should not be a problem out in the greater bay, but if your leaving a boat anchored in Hidden Cove make sure you have enough water, are anchored more towards the middle of the bay. But for the evening some boats will be able to tie up in the PMYC guest moorage area as there will be enough water for the evening’s tie up. There is not room for more than a few boats so if you have a dinghy or don’t mind borrowing someone else's, plan on anchoring out and rowing in. There is great protected anchorage/large rafting space very close to the yacht club. Contact me if you think your boats draft is too deep for Hidden Cove, I have other options.

For Saturday after racing, we will gather at PMYC’s shoreside facilities for drinks and a potluck dinner (A thru M bring Side Dish, N thru Z bring Appetizer or desert, plan on your own main course right now, more to come on this....). A full kitchen with stove/oven is available along with BBQ’s on the deck to prepare food and drink.

Sunday your free to head your own way, meet up over in Poulsbo for their 3rd of July fireworks or hang out in the tranquil Hidden Cove for another night, whatever your fancy is.

We’re looking to each of you to help make this event a success, talk it up with some of your crew, help locate some of those great IOR boats that seem to just sit at the dock and get them to come out. Dig out those old ratings, get them off your floppy disc and share with the world! Let us know if you need help in any way, have any questions, or just want to make fun of us and the old boats we love and enjoy.

Hope to see you there!
Ben Braden - benjaminbraden@aol.com

soling2003
06-24-2011, 11:34 PM
It's almost here! It will be fun talking about the old days of IOR. Bloopers and all. I just pulled mine out of the storage locker today. Got to teach the crew how to use it. LOL

IOR Geezer
07-06-2011, 04:27 PM
http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/content.php?1561-I.O.R.-LIVES!

Nice work!

Ballard Sailor
07-07-2011, 08:46 AM
and check out these (http://www.flickr.com/photos/75869001@N00/sets/72157627135304890/) Great photo's....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75869001@N00/sets/72157627135304890/

IOR Geezer
07-07-2011, 05:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w3QwJdzwsE

IOR Forever

SC27Hero
07-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Where were the IOR boats? Looks like two, maybe two and a half.

Whatatrip: Peterson 37; Yes, IOR boat
Hagar: Holland 3/4 Ton; Yes, IOR boat
Anomaly: SC50 with minor mods to rate better; Not IOR
Dance: Santana 525; Not IOR
Vanadis: Wasa 38; Not IOR
Wild Rumpus: SANTA CRUZ 27; Not IOR. GREAT BOAT ANYWAY.
Kilo: Not IOR
Uno: Sierra 26; Not IOR

Four Six Meters: Not IOR

Better luck next year. There are enough boats up there to have a great turnout. How will you entice them?

Buzz Light Beer
07-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Ya can't make an omlet without cracking a few eggs, maybe a 70's dance theme tribute band and cases of "Billy Beer" is the ticket?

Ballard Sailor
07-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Where were the IOR boats? Looks like two, maybe two and a half.

Whatatrip: Peterson 37; Yes, IOR boat
Hagar: Holland 3/4 Ton; Yes, IOR boat
Anomaly: SC50 with minor mods to rate better; Not IOR
Dance: Santana 525; Not IOR
Vanadis: Wasa 38; Not IOR
Wild Rumpus: SANTA CRUZ 27; Not IOR. GREAT BOAT ANYWAY.
Kilo: Not IOR
Uno: Sierra 26; Not IOR

Four Six Meters: Not IOR

Better luck next year. There are enough boats up there to have a great turnout. How will you entice them?

Thanks for the support!...

What? A Trip - 1 ton
Hagar - 3/4 ton
Anomaly has an IOR rating and bloopers (cert is on the boat still)
Vanadis (not an IOR boat? Are you HIGH?) 1 ton
Wild Rumpass has an IOR rating and blooper not built to the rule but many raced IOR in the day
Dance - 1/4 ton

and yes the others where not built to IOR, but they got ratings from a US Sailing certified Measurer for this event. Now I'm sure you've heard of boats being built that where for speed only, got IOR ratings (not very good ones) and raced IOR in the day - lets see, all of the SC boats, Many of the early sleds, the Moore 24 rates 22.5 and many many others.

and if you had come out you would know that the 6 meters raced in their own class, one design, they did not race IOR...but you knew that right?

SC27Hero
07-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the support!...

What? A Trip - 1 ton No, it was not

Hagar - 3/4 ton

Anomaly has an IOR rating and bloopers (cert is on the boat still) most any keelboat in the '70s, '80s, '90s could pay for a measurement and get a certificate. that does not make them IOR boats

Vanadis (not an IOR boat? Are you HIGH?) 1 ton I'm not high and a WASA 38 was not an IOR boat.

Wild Rumpass has an IOR rating and blooper not built to the rule but many raced IOR in the day any boat could get measured. Did not make them IOR boats. A SC27 is not an IOR boat. Saying it is is offensive.

Dance - 1/4 ton not then, not now, never will be

and yes the others where not built to IOR, but they got ratings from a US Sailing certified Measurer for this event. Now I'm sure you've heard of boats being built that where for speed only, got IOR ratings (not very good ones) and raced IOR in the day - lets see, all of the SC boats, Many of the early sleds, the Moore 24 rates 22.5 and many many others.

and if you had come out you would know that the 6 meters raced in their own class, one design, they did not race IOR...but you knew that right?

At the Wednesday night races we have boats like the Serendipity 43, Peterson 49, Rogers 39, J34, Ericson 35, C&C33, Peterson 34, C&C34, and Cal 9.2. Those were all real IOR boats.

I wouldn't count all the other boats that could have had IOR ratings like the Express 37, Olson 40, Schock 35, Soverel 33, Peterson 30, and Santana 35. They were not IOR boats.

Why are you mad at me? You tried to put on an IOR event and nobody came. We get 5 times as many IOR boats in our Wednesday night races as you got for your IOR event. That's not my fault.

Ballard Sailor
07-08-2011, 09:36 AM
At the Wednesday night races we have boats like the Serendipity 43, Peterson 49, Rogers 39, J34, Ericson 35, C&C33, Peterson 34, C&C34, and Cal 9.2. Those were all real IOR boats.

I wouldn't count all the other boats that could have had IOR ratings like the Express 37, Olson 40, Schock 35, Soverel 33, Peterson 30, and Santana 35. They were not IOR boats.

Why are you mad at me? You tried to put on an IOR event and nobody came. We get 5 times as many IOR boats in our Wednesday night races as you got for your IOR event. That's not my fault.

Well two things - first it's always good to support all events that have to do with sailing so more people come out.

Second - What? A Trip and Vanadis are both original 27.5 rated IOR 1 tons. And have the transoms and bulges to prove it, along with the bloopers. Moot point though.

I think many people are confused about the difference between a boat that was built to capitalize on the IOR measurements and one that has an IOR rating. No boat is an "IOR boat" as a type of boat. All boats can have an IOR rating.

I have worked hard to promote every kind of sailing and to create fun events that people come to - we had 9 boats racing and 18 boats total at the dock with a huge dinner potluck keg sponsored by 3 different businesses. Could more boats have come? Yes. Did no one come? Obviously not as we went through $200 of food, a keg of beer and 30 dunginess crab. Remember this was an IOR Rendezvous - not the Kenwood cup.

IOR is measurement system, not a builder, just like PHRF. Some boats are built to capitalize on a measurement system, some are not. My Wasa 38 was built to the original IOR 1 ton rule before they changed it and has a rating of 27.5, it also has a PHRF rating, and I'm guessing has an IMS rating as well. Those are all ratings not a "type" of boat. I am upset because you are putting down an event that 18 boats had a hell of time at because you think that your wednesday night PHRF rated racing has more boats built to capitalize on the IOR rating system than where at the IOR rendezvous. REALLY? Don't get me started on the 3 boat classes at the CYC seattle wednesday night racing - I won't do that here - as I want to see CYC succeed even if it's not the type of racing I like to do. No event should fail as we need all of them to be fun and exciting to help get more boats out.

Instead of putting it down, how about you make an effort to make it a more attended event the next time around and get all of your Wednesday night PHRF racers to show up? First year of an event and you get 18 boats, with 9 racing (plus 4 6's), I would call that a huge success. Look at the history of races and check out their entry numbers on the first year of the event, usually around 20 boats.

I have created or recreated 3 events this year to get more boats out. The SBYC/PMYC Challenge Cup, the 3 Buoy Fiasco, and the IOR rendezvous - what have you done to get more boats out this year? I suggest working on the positive rather than the negative.

war dog
07-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Ballard Sailor
07-08-2011, 09:54 AM
You gonna tell me this isn't a transom built to the IOR measurement rule for some rating benefit?

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/91784756893181989060.jpg

Buzz Light Beer
07-08-2011, 09:55 AM
What I wanna know is what happened to WD's broken stick?

war dog
07-08-2011, 10:28 AM
What I wanna know is what happened to WD's broken stick?

See update in the tread……..Now back to the IOR boats

soling2003
07-09-2011, 02:12 PM
I can assure you What? A Tripp! Is an IOR style boat, bulges and all. Not an early 70's pinched stern IOR boat like my first one, mull 3/4 ton Christopher Robin. Alum. Boat with tons of tumblehome, but an early 80's style designed right before they changed the 1ton rule so the boats would be bigger to meet min. size for Admiral cup.
And V is an older 1ton too. Maybe not a mainline Peterson etc, but old IOR boat nonetheless.

Glad you get lot's of old IOR warhorses out for your wed night races. Wish we had more, but he'll, we had some great sailing, sun as well as Baker and Rainier were out, and the food, beer, crab and hospitality by PMYC were fabulous. I'm glad we made it.

Next year instead of bashing our fun, help us get all of those old IOR boats you have there out for it. And while you are at it, talk them into coming up to whidbey too! Maybe we could get n IOR start.

SC27Hero
07-10-2011, 07:38 PM
I can assure you What? A Tripp! Is an IOR style boat, bulges and all. Not an early 70's pinched stern IOR boat, but an early 80's style designed right before they changed the 1ton rule so the boats would be bigger to meet min. size for Admiral cup.
And V is an older 1ton too. Maybe not a mainline Peterson etc, but old IOR boat nonetheless.

I said Whatatrip was an IOR boat. One of the two IOR boats that showed up. It was not designed as a 27.5 rating 1 Ton. The Wiggers 37s rated a foot higher than 1 Ton.

You people chased it for 6 months and were only able to get 2 IOR boats out for your IOR regatta. So obviously you didn't do what was needed to succeed. If you don't admit you failed you probably won't succeed next time. Out of about 30 IOR boats in the area that were targeted only 2 showed up. A different approach is needed.

I'm sure you had fun sailing your 9 boat PHRF race. You had a lot of fun at the BBQ.

You didn't have an IOR regatta.

Photoboy
07-10-2011, 09:32 PM
http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/92591771267508819411.jpg

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/51041476297356035427.jpg

A brief moment of truce...here's some IOR sexyness from SF Bay on Saturday...I know nuthing about
the boat, it's origins or it's current status...only that it probably make a very nice, peeling wake when
it's moving water out of it's way off wind......

Ballard Sailor
07-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Well thank god you're here to let us know we failed. We did spend a good 6 months trying to promote this idea online at two sailing blogs, I guess the lack of support shows either it was a terrible idea, or that there are very few people actually active on these sites for our area, or that these people simply are not active enough to get out. We know it wasn't a terrible idea as there where about 100 people there having a great time so it must be one of the others.

I got a question for everyone....What is the definition of an "IOR Boat" and what is the definition of a "PHRF Boat"?

IOR Geezer
07-11-2011, 09:24 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Offshore_Rule

The IOR concentrated on hull shape with length, beam, freeboard and girth measurements, foretriangle, mast and boom measurements, and stability with an inclination test. Additionally, the IOR identified features which were dangerous, or it couldn't fairly rate, and penalized or prohibited them. The measurements and penalties were used to compute the handicap number, called an IOR length, in feet. A typical IOR 40 footer (a one tonner) rated 30.55 feet.

The IOR rule encouraged wide short boats with limited natural stability. The crew weight was to provide the stability. This developed into the situation about 1977 when the boats winning in most IOR categories were dinghies with centreboards. The managers of the rule realised that this was not a suitable direction for seaworthy yachts and heavily penalised boats with rising keels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performance_Handicap_Racing_Fleet

The process of determing the PHRF for an individual boat begins with the regional PHRF rating, then adjustments are made for the individual attributors of the boat such as: modifications to the rig, the size of the largest fore sail (jib or genoa), the size of the spinnakers, type of keel (full, fin, wing etc.), the number of blades on the propeller, and the style of the propeller (fixed, folding, feathering). Significant modifications to the mainsail can cause penalties.

A variant of PHRF racing is called a "pursuit race", where boats start in reverse PHRF order with the starting times staggered based on the PHRF ratings. In theory, all boats will arrive at the finish line at the same time, which can make for an exciting finish. This means that the boats cross the finish line in order of placement in the race.

PHRF tends to be viewed as extremely political since rating values are perceived as very subjective and not based solely on empirical data. It is not an uncommon belief that the PHRF officials strongly influence ratings of their own boats to their favor. In reality, decisions are made based on review of history and when there is a conflict of interest the PHRF official is not part of the decision process.

Design characteristics of boats yield different performance characteristics in various seas and winds. PHRF does not address these differences. The result is that it is not difficult to predict which boats have a better chance of winning based on conditions during a race. This is especially true where design characteristics are extremely different. An example would be a light displacement, planning hull verses a heavy displacement non-planning hull.

Where design characteristics are similar, PHRF is skewed to favor larger boats with longer waterlines

hobot
07-11-2011, 11:25 AM
http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/92591771267508819411.jpg

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/51041476297356035427.jpg

A brief moment of truce...here's some IOR sexyness from SF Bay on Saturday...I know nuthing about
the boat, it's origins or it's current status...only that it probably make a very nice, peeling wake when
it's moving water out of it's way off wind......

Ericson 39?

SC27Hero
07-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Ericson 39?

Close. It is a 46.

It is an early IOR design by Bruce King.

SC27Hero
07-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Well thank god you're here to let us know we failed. We did spend a good 6 months trying to promote this idea online at two sailing blogs, I guess the lack of support shows either it was a terrible idea, or that there are very few people actually active on these sites for our area, or that these people simply are not active enough to get out. We know it wasn't a terrible idea as there where about 100 people there having a great time so it must be one of the others.

I got a question for everyone....What is the definition of an "IOR Boat" and what is the definition of a "PHRF Boat"?

I guess you learned that most of the owneres of the old IOR boats are not reading your blogs. Maybe you need to try something new this time. Lat 48 might be a good place to start? Start word of mouth early, like now? Personally contact as many of the owners as you can early so they have time to get the old rigs into condition to go out?

You had a list naming 30 or more IOR boats. Don't pretend you don't know the difference. How many of those people were personally contacted? Why didn't they show up?

What you don't understand is I am on your side. It isn't a terrible idea. I would like to see you succeed. To succeed you have to find out why you failed this time and work a new process that will give you a better result.

Charlie Tuna
07-11-2011, 01:25 PM
You guys should work together and strive for the positive. Sounds like a cool event, but events like that take time.

Good work!

Ballard Sailor
07-11-2011, 05:18 PM
The event was advertised in 48 north and NW yachting in the rendezvous type section, because it wasn't intended to be "serious" racing. I was too busy with Van Isle 360 to do any promotion and generally the CYC crowd doesn't want to do "fun" type events instead looking for for "serious" type racing so I didn't chase that down. Part of this was creating some enthusiasm at PMYC for doing non-member keel boat events - they seem onboard and should be into something for next year. I am only one person and can only do so much promotion on a 0$ budget.

But back to my question - What is the definition of an "IOR Boat" and what is the definition of a "PHRF Boat"?

IOR Geezer
07-12-2011, 08:47 AM
But back to my question - What is the definition of an "IOR Boat" and what is the definition of a "PHRF Boat"?

I thought the basics were described in post 26, but I will try to make it simpler.

IOR= a series of designs created mostly in the 1970's with elegant lines, wide hips and a narrow transom and fin keels which gracefully
moved water from it's path and rolled gently back and forth until reaching the point of no return, where the crew could not release lines
quickly enough to produce spectacular slow motion crashes which would go on for an eternity. A large fore triangle and short boom completes
is almost essential. Designers made a living attempting to cheat the rule a much as possible, spurning a generation of custom yachts, well built
and durable, even though today. The generous interiors made conversion to cruiser much easier.

PHRF= handicap formula for the masses. Production boats could race each other without putting 5 exactly same boats on the line. A fluid rule which
can be bent or modified an need be. Increased desire to be on PHRF committees so members could rate their particular boats more favorably. In general,
favors water length.

Ballard Sailor
07-12-2011, 09:04 AM
So a PHRF Boat is one with a long water line. A IOR boat is one with a short boom, pinched transom and wide hips. So what about those boats that I thought where IOR boats like Absolutely or Snook or Pendragon? They don't have the IOR Boat traits you type about....?

Ballard Sailor
07-12-2011, 09:13 AM
So the Commodore liked the event so much he is already putting it on the Calendar for next year. I'm thinking of a Cow Bay type event with Camping at the club grounds. IOR, PHRF, OD classes with a before WIRW time format. Same Potluck/BBQ/Crabfest dinner format with some great local sail industry sponsors. Pick a weekend with low tides during the day. Should be a hoot.

Thoughts?

war dog
07-12-2011, 09:19 AM
So a PHRF Boat is one with a long water line. A IOR boat is one with a short boom, pinched transom and wide hips. So what about those boats that I thought where IOR boats like Absolutely or Snook or Pendragon? They don't have the IOR Boat traits you type about....?

I think this thread needs a “time out” come on guys we all would like to see the same thing happen in the sport we love…………………More boats on the line and out of the slips! Right? BS attempted a new and novel idea to get more old boats out and playing. It didn’t have the stellar results some would like to see but it was a successful first outing. Let’s build on that and talk about how to make the next attempt even more successful instead of sniping at each other.

I will say it again because Oddball was a prophet………………What’s with all of the negative vibes man? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

IOR Geezer
07-12-2011, 09:40 AM
So the Commodore liked the event so much he is already putting it on the Calendar for next year. I'm thinking of a Cow Bay type event with Camping at the club grounds. IOR, PHRF, OD classes with a before WIRW time format. Same Potluck/BBQ/Crabfest dinner format with some great local sail industry sponsors. Pick a weekend with low tides during the day. Should be a hoot.

Thoughts?

Great work! Keep in mind most of the traditional, custom IOR boats of yesteryear have found a 2nd life as cruisers, so more of a rally format than a race might attract
larger numbers.

Ballard Sailor
07-12-2011, 09:23 PM
Great work! Keep in mind most of the traditional, custom IOR boats of yesteryear have found a 2nd life as cruisers, so more of a rally format than a race might attract
larger numbers.

Definitely, we had 9 boats show up that didn't race. 50%, not bad.