PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Yacht Club Grand Prix Invitational

Ballard Sailor
01-11-2011, 11:01 AM
http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/40008076924785082554.jpg

The Seattle Yacht Club’s Grand Prix Invitational Regatta is a fixture of the Seattle and Pacific Northwest yacht racing scene. Over the years the regatta has gone through various incarnations. When Men wore Line 7's Grand Prix was organized as a Friday distance race with boats racing up, down and across the sound till the wee hours of the night - finishing over at the Port Madison outstation of Seattle Yacht Club. Boats then Buoy raced on Saturday at or near greater Port Madison Bay and on Sunday the fleet sailed a distance race with the finish back over in Seattle.

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/03518102504336593018.jpg

As the boat type and fleet congregation changed the regatta evolved into a Shilshole based sailboat race bringing together many of the top finishers of the year’s races (only those boats finishing 1st, or in the top 3 of some races, are invited to compete). The racing format changed into a Friday afternoon mid distance race finished at or near sunset off Shilshole marina. Buoy racing on Saturday off of Shilshole Bay and concluded with a mid to long distance race on Sunday, taking up most of the day.

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/99704847185622557555.jpg

This past year the format has changed into a mid distance race on Friday afternoon followed by Buoy racing on Saturday and Sunday - reflecting the type of racing that most boats are doing to qualify for the invitational event. The weekend’s racing is topped off by dinner and awards at the spectacular Seattle Yacht Club facility over in Portage Bay.

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/86222462177175484405.jpg

This year Seattle Yacht Club is trying something new in order to promote more boats to enter the regatta and to encourage boats that previously didn’t enter into making it out racing this coming October against the best of the best the Pacific Northwest Sailing scene has to offer. The Yacht Club is offering a $20 discount for boats registering for the Grand Prix Invitational Regatta within 2 weeks of their qualifying race (or before January 31st for currently qualified boats).

Below is a list of boats that are currently invited to the Grand Prix Invitational Regatta and if they register before January 31st they are eligible for the $20 discount on registration. If this is your boat click HERE (http://www.seattleyachtclub.org/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=286513&ssid=164159&vnf=1) and scroll down to Grand Prix to find the registration, NOR, and other pertinent information.

Absolutely, Astral Plane, Blackfoot, Blue Lightning, Bodacious, Bravo Zulu, Brio, Cherokee, Dark Star, Dos, Dragonfly (Rondar 21), Duke, Flash, Flying Circus, Freda Mae, Gaucho, Grafix, Icon, Illusionist, JAM, Jubilee, Karma, Kiwi Express, Kotuku, Madame Pelle, Madrona, Makika, Moore-On, More Uff Da, My Tai, Neptunes Car, Shockwave, Shotime (Olson 25), Shrek, Sidewinder, Sly D Away, Snake Eyes, Something Special, Sputnik, String Theory, Sugar Magnolia, Swan, Tachyon, Tantivy, Teaser II, Teddy Bear, Trophy Wife, Vitesse, What? A Tripp!, Wild Rumpus, Wildflower.

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/74705973164145647521.jpg

Hope to see you out sailing this coming October!

ishtarsdog
01-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Brian talked me into this at the Sloop Christmas party. Guess I buy the idea that the more boats sign up early, the more will be there come race time. Now, if we could only convince a few others...

Ballard Sailor
01-12-2011, 04:49 PM
So you signed up already?

Ballard Sailor
01-12-2011, 04:52 PM
You, Yourself, and no one else. Did Brian talk with anyone else about this?

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/75087091869388389890.jpg

Ballard Sailor
01-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Updated list of Qualified Entry's below. You have until January 31st to enter at the discounted price, that's a case of beer for entering early! Currently there are 61 boats qualified for Grand Prix 2011 from Grand Prix 2010, Round the County 2010, Winter Vashon 2010 & Duwamish Head 2011. After January 31st only new boats to qualify will have 2 weeks to enter at the discounted price. So if you're already on the qualified list below January 31st is your last day to enter at the discounted price. I don't work for SYC, but don't say I didn't tell ya!

Remember entering early doesn't only get you $20 off, it motivates others that may want to race against you, motivates a one design class into getting out and can motivate the YC into spending more on the event if they know they have a bunch of boats a way's out from the event date....

Currently Qualified and Eligible for the discount:
Absolutely, Astral Plane, Blackfoot, Blue Lightning, Bodacious, Brio, Cherokee, Dark Star, DOS, Dragonfly (Rondar 21), Duke, Falcon, Flash, Flying Circus, Freda Mae, French Kiss, Gaucho, Giant Slayer, Grace E, Grafix, Icon, Illusionist, JAM, Jubilee, Karma, Kiwi Express, Kotuku, Lunch Box , Madame Pelle, Madrona, Makika, Melange , Moore-On, More Uff Da, My Tai, Nefarious , Neptunes Car, Shockwave, Showtime (Olson 25), Shrek, Sidewinder, Sly D Away, Snake Eyes, Something Special, Sputnik, String Theory, Sugar Magnolia, Swan, Tachyon, Tantivy, Teaser II, Teddy Bear, Terremoto, Trophy Wife, Vitesse, What? A Tripp!, White Cloud, Wicket Wahine, Wild Rumpus, Wildflower

61 boats qualified and only one boat entered? I thought Sailors where cheaper than that, we're talkin' about $20 here!...:p

Ballard Sailor
02-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Qualifed Boats Eligible for the Discount until February 12th:
Bravo Zulu, Tenacious, Tuesday, Whistling Swan (qualified from the STYC Iceberg Race) (http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/content.php?1071-Iceberg-A-Bruce-Kinda-Day).

Qualifed Boats for SYC Grand Prix:
Absolutely, Astral Plane, Blackfoot, Blue Lightning, Bodacious, Bravo Zulu, Brio, Cherokee, Dark Star, DOS, Dragonfly (Rondar 21), Duke, Falcon, Flash, Flying Circus, Freda Mae, French Kiss, Gaucho, Giant Slayer, Grace E, Grafix, Icon, Illusionist, JAM, Jubilee, Karma, Kiwi Express, Kotuku, Lunch Box , Madame Pelle, Madrona, Makika, Melange , Moore-On, More Uff Da, My Tai, Nefarious, Neptunes Car, Shockwave, Showtime (Olson 25), Shrek, Sidewinder, Sly D Away, Snake Eyes, Something Special, Sputnik, String Theory, Sugar Magnolia, Swan, Tachyon, Tantivy, Teaser II, Teddy Bear, Tenacious, Terremoto, Trophy Wife, Tuesday, Vitesse, What? A Tripp!, Whistling Swan, White Cloud, Wicked Wahine, Wild Rumpus, Wildflower

Up to 65 qualified boats! and still only one boat taking advantage of the discount....

ishtarsdog
02-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Put the heat on Bravo Zulu to sign up for GP. I really do think it helps the quality of the event to get folks to sign up early.
Great write up and photography for the Iceberg Regatta, too!

Ballard Sailor
02-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Thank you, and I did pressure Denny and agree on the early registration if you know your going to do it. We just can't decide if we'll be around for it yet....

vaughangd
02-02-2011, 09:35 PM
BRAVO ZULU just registered for Grand Prix. Thanks for the reminder Ben. We will use that SYC $20 to good use at the Sloop.

Ballard Sailor
02-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Bravo Zulu Entered, Thanks ishtarsdog!

ishtarsdog
02-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks to you guys for entering! I like the idea of putting that extra $20 to good use.

Ballard Sailor
02-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Qualified Boats Eligible for the Discount till February 28th
Carpe Diem, Dulcinea, Gardyloo, Jack Rabbit, Kaitlin, Skookum Too, White Squall (Toliva Shoals Race)

Up to 72 qualified boats, if you want to see who qualified in what race and how many times each boat has qualified - take a look HERE. (http://www.seattleyachtclub.org/files/SYC%20Grand%20Prix%202011%20Qualifying%20Boats.pdf )

Go here (https://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_club_events.php?CLUB_ID=444) to Register.

Qualified Boats Already Entered
Flash, Bravo Zulu, Kotuku

Ballard Sailor
02-23-2011, 12:15 PM
I just checked with Brian W. and everyone qualified has until February 28th to enter at the discounted rate! So get in there!

soling2003
02-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Good. I got an email from Brian the other day. We are now registered.....got to buy more rum with that $20!

Ballard Sailor
02-28-2011, 06:39 AM
Nice work!

Ballard Sailor
03-25-2011, 12:15 PM
A bunch of new boats have qualified for GP this month - if you still in time get entered for the discount! Remember these are un-official check with SYC to verify as their qualified list has not been updated...

Blakely Rock Light
Artemis
Banshee
Different Drummer
Tahlequah
Corvo
Delirium
Last Tango
Slick
Muffin
Blue Martini
Kowloon
Rubicon
Invader
Express
Trllium
Freda Mea

Scatchet Head
Wasabi
Ballistic
Finale
Cool Beans
USAWI
Here & Now
Selchie

RVYC VORC Opener March 19th
Gem
Recidivator
Scimitar
Through
The Shadow

Islands Race
Jeopardy
Special Purpose
Xiphius
Les Cheavaux Blanc
Superfriends
Koosah
Relief
Ichi ban
Rival
Pyxis
Integrity

SSS Final Class Standings
Danger Zone
Pax the Space Spider
Ruf Duck

113 boats are now qualified for GP this year, and only 6 boats taking advantage of the discounted rate....

Ballard Sailor
10-17-2011, 08:08 AM
So it's coming up quickly and only 22 boats are shown on the entry list, anyone else? Maybe some small boats?

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/44375342888369253751.jpg

Bcam
10-24-2011, 07:50 PM
A fine weekend of sailing. definitely Wasabi and Car's wind on Saturday. Flash's wind on Sunday. We only broke things that could be fixed in a hurry.

With TOT scoring, we were sure that Car was the winner in Class 1. Nice surprise to go to the party and find out that we got them by 1 point.

I thought that Brian and the RC did a great job. The postpone on Saturday seemed to go on and on, but they were proved right when it filled.
I appreciated the dock postponement on Sunday. Once again, a nice reward for patience.
I also really liked the new buoy race layout. Keeping the racing to weather of the RC boat was a good move. I know a couple of boats got a close up of Wasabi, but that was not a problem with the course. The committee did a nice job of using their tools to keep racing moving. The way they handled the one glitch for Class 1 was well done. They dropped the "P" flag a minute early, quickly went to the "AP" and back to a new sequence in quick order. Brian had pretty square line and had the mark set guys doing a good job.

Having said all that, it seems obvious that SYC needs to re-invent Grand Prix. It's not hard to see why numbers are down, the race format was pretty much what we had two weeks ago at PSSC. I'm sure there would be interest in the reasons that people choose not to come.

Ballard Sailor
10-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Our reason for not attending was 3 fold - 1). we had things that needed to be done that weekend. 2.) when I looked online at the registered boats monday before racing there wasn't any boats rating less than 135 entered. As my boat rates 168 that didn't sound like fun. 3). It was 2 high priced regattas really close together. The Moore's had chosen PSSC for a one design race so I was committed to that even though I would rather do the SYC event, Brian has been doing a great job of making sure it's fun.

Keeping the buoy racing to weather of the start/finish line is a great idea - I tried to push this at CYC meetings 5 or so years ago and got laughed out of the building. I'm glad Brian has grasped onto this. The winds sure materialized for this weekend as 3 distinct days for the 3 different day's of races. It was great to watch the results change from Friday/Saturday scores to who actually won after Sunday's Buoy racing.