PDA

View Full Version : Worlds most clueless narrator

Charlie Tuna
01-19-2011, 09:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNoARJ-TbKQ&feature=player_embedded

Antony
01-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Boy does that bring back memories.

I was tossed from Glama! (philosophical differences with the team) the day before this happened.

Bad deal for Doug as he ended up in the hospital as a result of this accident.

I really miss Kenwood Cup...one the the great regattas on the planet.

DaveK
01-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Who's Glama?

And the boys should of been inside the boat instead of kicken it out on the starboard side..... ha ha.

Antony
01-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Who's Glama?

And the boys should of been inside the boat instead of kicken it out on the starboard side..... ha ha.

Glama! was the boat that hit Zamboni in this video sequence. The film was taken during the 2000 Kenwood Cup. I think it was either the second or third day of racing around the cans.

familysailor
01-19-2011, 02:21 PM
What kind of boat is/was Glama?

Antony
01-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Glama! is now called Boomerang (I believe) and lives in Hawaii.

She is a Bashford/Howison (now Sydney yachts) 41.

hobot
01-19-2011, 09:37 PM
At least Mr. Clueless called what side of the boat properly, that would have been embarassing.

Ballard Sailor
01-19-2011, 10:51 PM
What the hell where they doing hiking out like that anyway?

Mad
01-20-2011, 06:56 AM
Jeez, seen and been involved in some t-bones before that were bad, but never seen the helmsman get spat across the cockpit like that before.

Antony
01-20-2011, 06:58 AM
Jeez, seen and been involved in some t-bones before that were bad, but never seen the helmsman get spat across the cockpit like that before.

It was actually worse than it looked. Doug got about 10 stiches in his forehead and a major concussion.

Doug was sown back up and the boat was shipped to Carrol Marine to get fixed. She's now called White Knight and lives in SoCal.

Mad
01-20-2011, 07:04 AM
It was actually worse than it looked. Doug got about 10 stiches in his forehead and a major concussion.

Doug was sown back up and the boat was shipped to Carrol Marine to get fixed. She's now called White Knight and lives in SoCal.

Looks like our helm was lucky, he just went through the wheel (aluminium, so at least not speared on carbon) only problem was we were on the start and when we span round 180 we left the bowman standing in mid air for a secound with no boat under him until gravity took over and he went for swim.

Shortest race ever.

Sanity Check
01-22-2011, 12:25 AM

Does look serious indeed... now I'm thinking of a possible need for airbags on boats...

As for the White Knight/Zamboni connection, I saw that was intimated in the comments of the above video and directions were given to find footage of a similar crash, but the boat in that second video seems a bit less beamy (might be the video I suppose) and the White Knight pictured there definitely doesn't have the magnificent wheel steering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WtT56A3q4w

Antony
01-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Sanity Check,

White Knight IS the old Zamboni.

DaveK
01-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Sanity Check,

WTF? That boat is a t-bone magnet!!

Sanity Check
01-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Sanity Check,

The boat did get relieved of her wheel steering that's for sure. Perhaps the way the old wheel threw the helmsman face first into the boom has a part in that decision? ... then again the ricochet off the boom might have kept him from landing in the water... though where he did end up was certainly less soft.