PDA

View Full Version : 47th annual Congressional Cup.......wort watching??

war dog
03-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Worth

Lill bit O help here……………..I have to be in Long beach this weekend for a work meeting and now I see this…….Looks like it could be a fun way to spend a day watching some good sailing. anyone have any info I have about 2 hours to change my flight on Fri from night to morning and that would give me a whole day (on the clock) to check this out………………..is it worth it??

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top ranked skippers from around the world will compete in the 47th annual Congressional Cup held March 22nd – March 26th in Long Beach, California. This is one of the most prestigious Match Racing events in the world and you have the opportunity to view the action up close right off the Veterans Memorial Pier located in the Belmont Shore area of Long Beach.
The Congressional Cup is internationally known as the “Ladder to America’s Cup” and many America’s skippers have sailed this event in the past. Ted Turner, Dennis Conner, Russell Coutts (BMW Oracle), Ed Baird (Team Allingi) and Dean Barker (Emriates Team New Zealand) are just some of the world famous skippers who have sailed Congressional Cup through the years. This year is no exception! Skippers and sailors competing in this year’s Congressional Cup will be the same names you will be seeing in the 2012 America’s Cup. Take advantage of the opportunity to watch this world class group of athletes perform astonishing boat maneuvering so close to the pier that you can practically touch the masts!
Racing starts at 12 pm each day and runs until approximately 5 pm. Admission is free.

http://www.thecongressionalcup.com/about-the-race

Kris O
03-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Yes, Match racing is far more interesting and challenging than bouy racing. Get down to the club and see if you can volunteer for an RC boat so you can be close to the action.

war dog
03-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Good call Chris….. I watched some of the match racing when they had the Acts here years ago………..So anyone want to get together for a beer in Long beach Friday afternoon???

Angry Dolphin
03-22-2011, 02:39 PM
I do. Will you buy me a ticket?