PDA

View Full Version : Double Handed Lightship

Ballard Sailor
03-28-2011, 08:08 AM
Did I see the 'Can O'Woopass' in third place?

Pictures linked from norcalsailing.com

http://www.norcalsailing.com/entries/2011/03/26/2027bonitatop.jpg

http://www.norcalsailing.com/entries/2011/03/26/1958tatianaperigranfalcon.jpg

http://www.norcalsailing.com/entries/2011/03/26/1995lumps.jpg (http://www.norcalsailing.com/entries/2011/03/26/dhl-start.html)

Ballard Sailor
03-28-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm hearing stories of confused seas, drop outs and a broken eye orbit socket.....sounds like a beating! Top picture shows an E27 heading back in...

Photoboy
03-28-2011, 02:11 PM
"The Boat goes up , the boat goes down ,,, 13 foot swell's and on one of the up parts , I went up some more when the boat went down.... cracked sum rib's pretty good , also had a pinky bent 30deg. to the left .... had to pop that sucker back in by myself ...

"It's a steep learning curve ,,, also ,,, The Gulf of the Farrallon's IS as dangerous as they say it is..."

Paul S

Nathalie Criou had to bail after slipping and bumping her eye on the winch(?) Sergie
Zavarin was waiting at the StFYC to do some RC training and saw Elise coming in early and detected something was wrong. He gave Nat a lift to the haospital to get it check out....

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/37723030297994603707.jpg

Nat's Nasty Knot

"I slipped and fractured my eye socket bone so we bailed out early, about 2 miles past Bonita when we turned around but I slipped right after the gate. Total idiot, not even rough or anything...we turned around when I started acting bizarre, have a headache and golf ball by my eye..."

Seymour Dodds offered up this interpretation of the day that was:
Click Here (http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/showthread.php?1521-Weekend-Roll-Call%E2%80%A6..-What-cha-doing-this-weekend.&p=14559&viewfull=1#post14559)

Ballard Sailor
03-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Nice update, Thanks Eric!

Photoboy
03-28-2011, 03:03 PM
http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/51595847125687048294.jpg

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/87683787604336147403.jpg

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/54114114448755125493.jpg

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/56357375366341639463.jpg

The impressive thing that will stand out for the next few weeks is the outflow of rivers
feeding into the Sacramento and Creeks into the SF Bay. Most if not all lakes and reservoirs have reached capacity and are dumping water to make room for addional rainfall or snowmelt....aA reported 4 knots of hull speed and 12 knots on the GPS going out Saturday...

http://www.dreamflows.com/flows-canv.php

aA
03-28-2011, 10:08 PM
it all started like any other race day, only it didn't. see getting up at 6 am for a local race isn't the norm and neither is the 20 knots and pissing rain on the way to the boat. but the south bay didn't look so bad and off i went to run up the east bay to the club. it was at hwy 80 interchange that i looked over at the wind sock on the shite plant and saw what i'd expected...straight flying angry flag. then the berkeley shoals looking almost calm and serene. we all know the look "aww it aint that bad out there, it's flat and smooth" but then you know you just saw the angry sock and you shake that false sense of security. 80 at golden gate fields should have been a big fat warning sign of the day to come, kind of like that little kid swinging the banjo like a train crossing warning sign from the rope bridge as the boys start their canoe trip in deliverance (wait, let me make this very clear...no one squealed and no sodomy occured), but the overturned big rig sprawled across three lanes grinding the highway to a halt for 20 minutes was more annoying and nerve racking than anything. oh well i thought, i'm not making the 7-7:15 boat call. quick call on the cell to carbontech "stuck in traffic, be there as quick as possible" and the answer was "no worries, i'm a little behind too".

pull into the club and it's pretty much raining 90 degrees, down to the end of the lot and there's carbontech just jumping out of his ride. in the time it takes him to trot 20 feet for a dock buggy and back i can see his jeans are already soaked. half considering turning back towards the club and using the shower to change i think better of it as wee're behind already and just park it, grab my gear and run for the boat. emptying the buggy and climbing aboard i'm now dripping wet and thinking "yeah this is fun". ct grabs the sails we aren't going to use while i put on three layers of tops, 2 of bottoms and my wife's gill top (unlike my musto, it has a hood which i thought prudent. and the color goes well with my eyes). ct comes back right about the time i'm putting on my harness and i say "so let's hit it and i'll rig while we go" and he says "cool but let's get the jack lines on first" so i get the main going while he grabs the jack lines and before you know it we've rigged the whole boat not really thinking about much beyond the wet and a reef with the number 4. a quick run to the head (which is no longer quick with all that gear on) and we are off the dock at 8:15...uh oh. with a 9:15 start we are now pretty sure we're late, but hoping that the massive ebb and big breeze helps us pull off a miracle. needless to say, even though we made blunt in record time, the breeze shifts 90 and dies leaving us to shake a reef, change to a 3 and tack for the start almost making alcatraz as our class goes off. "well it's a long race ct..." i say kicking myself for not kicking myself into gear quicker back at the dock. now comes the bonehead move of the day; (which i would usually never admit, but ballard will have the hardest laugh about this and when he laughs i laugh because he's funny...) in all the wet, early, windy and then lateness, i did not read the si's. so when we crossed the line at ggyc in a strong onshore flood, we agreed to crack off for deep ebb and get back in the game. out in the channel and abeam of st fancy our radio pipes up with "umm...guys? the starting line is off saint francis". well it looks like i picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue!!! so to add to our spotting the guys almost 30 minutes, we spot them a little more and head back in to that onshore flood because, you know, it was so much fun the first time around.

so finally crossing the line, we head back for the deep water and the river flow. some crazy tide lines in some not so normal places and a close eye on the gps tells us we've got the right idea. not much more than 4's on the speedo but the geeper goes from 6 to 9, cross one line and drop to 7 then up to 9, 10, 11, 12. at 12 sog we're almost to bonita and the swell goes from steep and short period to steep, short period and majorly confused from three directions. our speedo is saying 3.5 but we're still doing 10 over ground. there's porpoise everywhere and while the sun isn't shining, at least it's no longer raining and the reef and 4 aren't needed... honestly it's comfortable dh 3 weather. we tack away from the north side looking for more push as we notice three express, a tri, and an unidentified big boat heading back in. starboard tack is a lot more unstable than port and we get knocked by a couple breaking sets. we're halfway to the bucket when the rc comes on the radio to report the coast guard buoy tender is parked at the mark performing maintenance to make repairs and to give them a wide birth. i kept asking ct how he was feeling and every time he said he was good, and knowing his resume for the ocean i'm calm as a cucumber. but the lumps from all directions just don't stop and with about 5 miles left to the mark, he says "i think we'll turn around now". being as far behind as we were, wanting to use this as more of a shakedown for our future dh stuff, and being that it's his boat i'm not disagreeing. so we turned tail, headed for the north side and started back. this gave us a good opportunity to discuss our work list for the systems that need to change, the parts we need to fabricate, the safety gear, provisions and food choices, and everything else we will do in prep for next years race. back inside the gate, we popped the kite and the beers and had a great sail back.

while not the ideal day for what we really wanted to do, we accomplished a lot of things i don't think we would have had we sailed the whole course and in the end we were both pretty happy with what we did get out of it.

Ballard Sailor
03-29-2011, 08:17 AM
No keener - oops!

IOR Geezer
03-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Nice write up, aA.

Glad no one squealed.

Buzz Light Beer
03-29-2011, 09:04 AM
it all started like any other race day, only it didn't. see getting up at 6 am for a local race isn't the norm and neither is the 20 knots and pissing rain on the way to the boat. but the south bay didn't look so bad and off i went to run up the east bay to the club. it was at hwy 80 interchange that i looked over at the wind sock on the shite plant and saw what i'd expected...straight flying angry flag. then the berkeley shoals looking almost calm and serene. we all know the look "aww it aint that bad out there, it's flat and smooth" but then you know you just saw the angry sock and you shake that false sense of security. 80 at golden gate fields should have been a big fat warning sign of the day to come, kind of like that little kid swinging the banjo like a train crossing warning sign from the rope bridge as the boys start their canoe trip in deliverance (wait, let me make this very clear...no one squealed and no sodomy occured), but the overturned big rig sprawled across three lanes grinding the highway to a halt for 20 minutes was more annoying and nerve racking than anything. oh well i thought, i'm not making the 7-7:15 boat call. quick call on the cell to carbontech "stuck in traffic, be there as quick as possible" and the answer was "no worries, i'm a little behind too".

pull into the club and it's pretty much raining 90 degrees, down to the end of the lot and there's carbontech just jumping out of his ride. in the time it takes him to trot 20 feet for a dock buggy and back i can see his jeans are already soaked. half considering turning back towards the club and using the shower to change i think better of it as wee're behind already and just park it, grab my gear and run for the boat. emptying the buggy and climbing aboard i'm now dripping wet and thinking "yeah this is fun". ct grabs the sails we aren't going to use while i put on three layers of tops, 2 of bottoms and my wife's gill top (unlike my musto, it has a hood which i thought prudent. and the color goes well with my eyes). ct comes back right about the time i'm putting on my harness and i say "so let's hit it and i'll rig while we go" and he says "cool but let's get the jack lines on first" so i get the main going while he grabs the jack lines and before you know it we've rigged the whole boat not really thinking about much beyond the wet and a reef with the number 4. a quick run to the head (which is no longer quick with all that gear on) and we are off the dock at 8:15...uh oh. with a 9:15 start we are now pretty sure we're late, but hoping that the massive ebb and big breeze helps us pull off a miracle. needless to say, even though we made blunt in record time, the breeze shifts 90 and dies leaving us to shake a reef, change to a 3 and tack for the start almost making alcatraz as our class goes off. "well it's a long race ct..." i say kicking myself for not kicking myself into gear quicker back at the dock. now comes the bonehead move of the day; (which i would usually never admit, but ballard will have the hardest laugh about this and when he laughs i laugh because he's funny...) in all the wet, early, windy and then lateness, i did not read the si's. so when we crossed the line at ggyc in a strong onshore flood, we agreed to crack off for deep ebb and get back in the game. out in the channel and abeam of st fancy our radio pipes up with "umm...guys? the starting line is off saint francis". well it looks like i picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue!!! so to add to our spotting the guys almost 30 minutes, we spot them a little more and head back in to that onshore flood because, you know, it was so much fun the first time around.

so finally crossing the line, we head back for the deep water and the river flow. some crazy tide lines in some not so normal places and a close eye on the gps tells us we've got the right idea. not much more than 4's on the speedo but the geeper goes from 6 to 9, cross one line and drop to 7 then up to 9, 10, 11, 12. at 12 sog we're almost to bonita and the swell goes from steep and short period to steep, short period and majorly confused from three directions. our speedo is saying 3.5 but we're still doing 10 over ground. there's porpoise everywhere and while the sun isn't shining, at least it's no longer raining and the reef and 4 aren't needed... honestly it's comfortable dh 3 weather. we tack away from the north side looking for more push as we notice three express, a tri, and an unidentified big boat heading back in. starboard tack is a lot more unstable than port and we get knocked by a couple breaking sets. we're halfway to the bucket when the rc comes on the radio to report the coast guard buoy tender is parked at the mark performing maintenance to make repairs and to give them a wide birth. i kept asking ct how he was feeling and every time he said he was good, and knowing his resume for the ocean i'm calm as a cucumber. but the lumps from all directions just don't stop and with about 5 miles left to the mark, he says "i think we'll turn around now". being as far behind as we were, wanting to use this as more of a shakedown for our future dh stuff, and being that it's his boat i'm not disagreeing. so we turned tail, headed for the north side and started back. this gave us a good opportunity to discuss our work list for the systems that need to change, the parts we need to fabricate, the safety gear, provisions and food choices, and everything else we will do in prep for next years race. back inside the gate, we popped the kite and the beers and had a great sail back.

while not the ideal day for what we really wanted to do, we accomplished a lot of things i don't think we would have had we sailed the whole course and in the end we were both pretty happy with what we did get out of it.

*no animals where harmed or pleasured in the making of this report*

Rainier
03-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Aa shopping list:
1. Louder alarm clock
2. Extra Strength vagisil

Nice report dude. Sounds like it was a crazy day.

buster_hymen
03-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Aa shopping list:
1. Louder alarm clock
2. Extra Strength vagisil

Nice report dude. Sounds like it was a crazy day.

flannel jammies for the ride home

PSutchek
03-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Hell's Ya ,, I'll take that THIRD place with a smile ,,,

We on the C.O.W Left Petaluma at 6am , Picked up beer at 7 ! and hit the boat by 730 ! ,,, It was in the water and had almost a grand of new " safety " gear on it .... Not that we would EVER need it ... so I thought ...

It was pissing on us pretty bad on the way over from the SFYC , got there early and said hello to a few and tried to figure out why some wouldn't even wave. I got the clock set at the warning and did a single pirouette to kill 30 seconds... started at the pin and headed for the Ebb ! We did well on the way out and kept up with quite a few boats , made it past the South tower and tacked to stay in the center for max velocity !
Things started getting steep around Point bonita ! , but not too bad, We saw boats tack South and just a few go further north into the potatoe patch... We did a couple extra tacks and then AFTER everybody had made their run for the Lightship ,,, We tacked because the north bar was just about breaking and we didn't want none of it in our Cal20 !
With a Southerly swell competing with the Westerly , The Can came up against new conditions... of which it had never encountered before....
Steep , Pointy swell's.... Now , some of you in bigger boats would say ,, " it wheren't so bad " , but our Cal20 was just about LEAPING off the top of the swells and free falling and slaming down at the bottom ! We must have had about 3 or 4 full keel drops....
And on one of them , because I am a novice ocean racer , I was thrown upwards , while the boat dropped out from under me.... My guess is that i dropped 7 foot and landed on the corner of the cockpit seat as the boat was heeled over ! Crunch went my ribs and left pinky !.... All the wind knocked out of me ... Richard really wanted to know if I was all right but ,, I couldn't talk !
I just held my finger out , pointed to it , grabbed it and straightened it out ... Then it was about another 30 seconds before I took a breath and told him, Were STILL RACING DAMMIT !
So We tacked toward the Lightbucket as late as possible ,,, and we had a progressive lift to the mark ... Made it from like 4 miles out ! Got really close and tacked twice more to round ,, frikken beautiful , on our final approach we had seen boats come back up from the South and Green Buffalo come back down from the North, and We were WITH 85 % of the fleet !! Hell yah !
We Passed E27 Great White Twice ! Rounded the Coast Guard tender and Richard was pissed off cause I didnt have the chute set up ! So we set , I'm almost crying in pain and the wind starts going away .... What was 20 knots at our rounding is now like 8 to 10,,, or less , when we would go down swell the main would try to jibe and the chute would cover the forstay... This does not bode well for our division standings...
Were looking around , I'm in serious pain , and sea sick to boot ! ( What do you use to stop that ? ) Sitting hurts , standing hurts , twisting and pulling sheets hurts ... Rich asks if I want him to call the CG... No I say ,,, We got a race to finish , but the sea is still tossing us around and we don't want to go over either bar , so because of the time ( tide book say's Flood ) we head back to center channal looking to get flooded back in quickly ,, BUT its not to be... We see the others go toward Seal Rock and Mile Rock , but their not moving that quick ... But we are moving Less ! Passing the last Red bouy ,, were doing 5 over the water and more like 1.5 over the ground ,,, and those bouy's are BIG !
Richard asks if I wan't to drive , but I am unable to push or pull with my arms ,,, I do continue to jibe the spinny , but it's at about 1/4 of my regular speed ! We burn up our lead in the perma Ebb that continues to come out the gate.... But we were also staying safe !

We got pooped once from a following wave , but the boat stayed straight and our half hatchboard held up well ! Entering the Gate , The watchman up on the bridge say's he see's up and about 10 minutes later the RC askes if there is anybody behind us ,, We tell them two boats are behind us and they say thanks , we were looking for the last two !
We had a tough division , and I'm happy with a third place ,, but we also got something like 6th overall ( out of like 30 or... ) and didn't give up either !

This was a BIG eye opener for me ...and being a bay bouy sailor for five years DID NOT even get me ready for off shore sailing... I'd like to do it again god willing :)

Cheer's ,, Paul

Ballard Sailor
03-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Nice write-up Paul, and great job. Hope the ribs heal well!

There is another good write-up over on norcalsailing.com (http://www.norcalsailing.com/entries/2011/03/28/dhl-wrap.html)

Photoboy
03-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Winner of the DH Light Bucket Ray Lotto talks about conditions in last weeks race and his strategy to deal with the beast that was!

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/15016685557069186228.jpg

Ray Lotto and his Express 27 El Ratton is no stranger to the wild variety of conditions
served up off shore in Northern California, shown here in the 2007 Crewed Farallones

Sailing the Lightship race this year was quite an experience. Steve Carroll and I had anticipated that the race would have been in the Bay because weather reports indicated seas from 15 to 18 feet and winds from 15 to 25 knots. Then just an hour or so before the race the forecast was that the winds at 9:00am would be 10 - 15 knots. When the race began we were a minute late for the start, but quickly sailed out to the current and was the second Express to reach the bridge. The first two miles were quite nice in that we had large rollers but few breaking waves. It then got interesting in that there was a 3 - 4 knot current which was predicted, but with the added runoff due to the recent heavy rains, the current was closer to 6 knots. It was like a river.

When it hit the bar with the large rollers coming in, the seas quickly turned to 10 - 15 feet, short duration, very steep waves from different directions. We got several feet of green water over the bow which completely filled the cockpit and we considered turning back. Even though we were only making 4 to 5 knots through the water, we were making 10 - 11 knots over the ground.

The waves were so steep that we would set up an angle to go up a wave and because of our forward speed aided by the current we would literally free fall 10 - 12 feet and slam into the next wave. We have been in similar conditions but never with waves so steep and so close. Again, this was a result of the 6 knot ebb running into a large sea. At one point there was a wave with approximately four feet of white water breaking towards us and we just barely got past it as it broke under the boat and we could hear the wave crash behind us. It was quite an awesome experience.

We decided that since the current was the dominating factor it was more important to head for the mark instead of increasing boat speed through the water by bearing off. These conditions continued until two miles from the Lightship buoy. The waves were strong but not as threatening, but as we got near the Lightship, and by the way it was a real Coast Guard ship, the wind increased 15 - 20 knots.

We stayed pretty much in the middle of the channel which required several tacks and went around the Lightship with a catamaran and did not see spinnakers flying in that the wind was off our port beam. Heading back after rounding the mark and a mile from it the winds were relatively light with continued confused seas. In order to escape the current which was still ebbing and to increase our speed we set our spinnaker and
reached up coming to land one half mile north of Point Bonita. This move created a separation between us and the other boats. We jibed at a good wind angle to Point Bonita. We passed Point Bonita and jibed back into the shore and sailed along the north shore and near the GG bridge we jibed again and headed towards the finish line.

After coming under the bridge we headed up and found a reverse current going towards the finish line. It was considerably less windy and being fearful that the wind would die completely, we stayed pretty close to shore so that at least the current would take us across the finish line. After getting into the Club we were told by the race committee that it had been flooding all day in front of the Club. I suppose that this is a condition created because of the extreme ebb in the runoff from the rains which created a back eddy along the shore!

Steve Carroll and I have been double handed racing for years and he is a great sailor. Also, the Express27 boat is excellent for both Bay racing and ocean racing.