PDA

View Full Version : 15 Teams Entered As Deadline Closes and AC World Series Venues Named

PD Staff
04-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Entry Period Closes, AC World Series Venues Revealed

The new era of America’s Cup racing has attracted 15 teams from 12 countries who will begin their quest for the Cup with 2011 America’s Cup World Series stops in Cascais, Portugal; Plymouth, England; and San Diego, California.

As the entry period closed at midnight on March 31, 14 challengers had filed applications for the 34th America’s Cup to be held in San Francisco, September 2013. Twelve of these have been validated while the remaining two teams will be checked against the qualifying requirements in the coming days. With ORACLE Racing previously accepted as the defense candidate, a total of 15 teams could be confirmed.

“Fifteen teams promises an exciting America’s Cup World Series, Louis Vuitton Cup Challenger Series and ultimately 34th America’s Cup Final,” said Iain Murray, Regatta Director and CEO, America’s Cup Race Management (ACRM). “The new wing-sailed, multi-hulled yachts will be fast and physically demanding, keeping the racing dynamic and interesting until the finish. We are looking forward to seeing these teams on the AC World Series circuit later this year. It is time to go racing.”

The current list of vetted and accepted competitors is a geographically diverse field: ALEPH EQUIPE DE FRANCE (France), Artemis Racing (Sweden), China Team (China), Emirates Team New Zealand (New Zealand), Energy Team (France), Mascalzone Latino (Italy), ORACLE Racing (USA), Team Australia (Australia), and five undisclosed teams.

America’s Cup Event Authority (ACEA) revealed the inaugural AC World Series would begin in Europe in August of 2011. Formal announcements will be made with officials in each individual city.

2011 AC World Series Schedule

Event One:
Cascais, Portugal
August 6 -14
The Cascais press conference will be held April 4 at 3 p.m. local time at the Casa de Santa Marta, near the Marina, in Cascais.
Event Two:
Plymouth, England
September 10-18
The Plymouth press conference will be held April 1 at 11 a.m. local time at the Holiday Inn, Armada Way in Plymouth.

Event Three:
San Diego, California
Dates TBD, to be set between mid Oct. and early Dec.

“We have selected venues that reflect both the prestige of the America’s Cup, as well as can bring the action on the water to those on land,” said Richard Worth, Chairman, ACEA. “Similar to San Francisco, all of the inaugural AC World Series venues enable spectators to watch the racing live, which will help expose this great sport to more people worldwide.”

The AC World Series is a regular circuit of regattas that will bring America’s Cup-level racing and experience to top international venues. Televised to expose millions more fans to the sport of high-performance sailing, the AC World Series will feature both fleet and match racing at each event. At the end of each AC World Series season, a champion will be crowned. These events provide the fans the only opportunity to see all of the America’s Cup competitors racing together. The schedule for the second half of the inaugural AC World Series circuit will be revealed by October of this year.

ACEA is making significant progress on broadcast partner and sponsorship discussions, backed by a robust commercial offering that includes a high level of AC World Series events in the years leading up to the America’s Cup Finals, a new CSR program and a full broadcast and online strategy. The first broadcast partner will be announced in the very near future.

The first official partner of the America’s Cup, Louis Vuitton, announced last November the continuation of its long association with the oldest sailing trophy. The Ameria’s Cup Challenger Series is once again called the Louis Vuitton Cup, recognizing the brand’s long partnership with the America’s Cup. In addition, Louis Vuitton is Official Timekeeper for the America’s Cup World Series competitions.

“We are thrilled to continue our 30-year partnership with the America’s Cup,” declared Yves Carcelle, Chairman and CEO of Louis Vuitton. “We are delighted to welcome these challengers from all over the world and we believe that the 34th edition will be the best America’s Cup yet.”

“With the modern multihull, we can expect a fantastic show in the main venues around the world for the AC World Series in 2011/2012 and the next America’s Cup in the bay of San Francisco, where sailing is both a tradition and a passion,” said Pietro Beccari, Executive Vice President, Louis Vuitton.

bowline
04-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Pretty good turn-out with 12 challengers confirmed and 2 in the vetting process.

Should be front page material guys...

PD Staff
04-06-2011, 09:24 AM
For the first time in its 160-year history, a challenge has been made by a South Korean Yacht Club for the America’s Cup, the oldest trophy in international sports. The Sail Korea Yacht Club, represented by Team Korea, has been officially accepted as a challenger for the 34th America’s Cup.

Team Korea will be known as the ‘White Tiger Challenge’. The White Tiger, or ‘Baekho’ in Korean, is one of the revered ancient guardian gods in Korean mythology, ferocious and potent, a fitting image for a team from one of the world’s major industrial nations with long term America’s Cup ambitions.

Founder of Team Korea is Dong Young-Kim, an accomplished sailor and the organizer of one of the biggest prize money sailing events in the world, The Korea Match Cup. In launching Team Korea, he intends to boost public interest and knowledge of the America’s Cup and hopes to attract new people to take up sailing as their support for the team grows.

In announcing the team he said, ‘’The America’s Cup is not only the world’s oldest sporting trophy, it is one of the most celebrated, with a tradition, glamour and attraction like no other. Some of the most famous people in world history have competed in this event trying to win this coveted trophy, enjoying the honor of taking part and representing both club and country.”

“Now it is Korea’s turn to enter this famous competition for the first time, at the start of what will prove to be one of the biggest changes the Cup has ever seen, with these new high speed, radical, wing-sailed catamarans, designed to appeal beyond those already interested in sailing. This is a unique opportunity for us to create excitement around the sport in Korea, and introduce newcomers to the events through the awe-inspiring TV images we expect to see.’’

He continued, ‘’As a new team we do not have the experience and legacy of others involved, and so we are realistic about building together a group of people for this challenge, and setting ourselves sensible targets with our first competitive challenge. We see this America’s Cup campaign as a learning experience which we can build on for the future, while improving through the regatta series this year. We have discussions ongoing presently which we hope will provide the necessary resources, sponsorships and long-lasting commitments we desire, and aim to make more announcements shortly in what is proving to be a very exciting time in the ongoing evolution of the America’s Cup.’’

The inaugural 2011/12 America’s Cup World Series begins this summer with three regattas to be staged in Portugal, UK and USA. A further series is planned for 2012/13, before the Louis Vuitton Cup for all the Challengers in San Francisco in 2013, followed by the 34th America’s Cup match itself. Racing begins in new AC45 catamarans, which are then replaced by giant 72 foot wing sailed ‘monsters’, potentially capable of over 40 knots speed, competing in a combination of both fleet and match racing.

“One of our major goals for the new America’s Cup is to enable teams to be sustainable sports franchises, so we’re excited to see Korea enter the America’s Cup for the first time, with sights set on building a team for the future,” Chairman of the America’s Cup Event Authority, Richard Worth said.

‘’Having a country such as Korea enter the America's Cup adds to the global impact of our event, so we’re very pleased to welcome Team Korea to our growing field of international competitors.”

Team Korea becomes the ninth Challenger accepted, together with two teams each from France and Italy, one each from China, Sweden, Australia, and New Zealand, plus the Defender from the USA. There are three additional challengers who have yet to announce and two more are in the process of having their challenges vetted, making a total of 15 teams set to compete in the 34th America’s Cup.

Old Codger
04-06-2011, 01:48 PM
I suppose for most of you this whole transition to multihulls for the AC is ho-hum boring stuff. For some of us old guys it's bloody amazing stuff. The last AC rang a big bell that couldn't be ignored. About as subtle as a 2x4 across the forehead... Multihulls are here!
Now 15 teams and how many boats potentially on the water racing at the same time... 15, 20. Going to be something to see.
Doing a search every few days on that Youtube thing for AC45 and it's great what comes up.
Searched today and up came this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBaNMmeoCic
Sweet mother of the ultimate water walker, these things haul ass. AND then some footage of the Moths.
Wonder if there is a higher voltage battery option for my pacemaker..

Kris O
04-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Me thinks the city of SF is in for a bit of a shock when all these teams and their families take up residence....remembering back to Auckland where whole apartment buildings and multiple floors of hotels were booked as housing for the teams.....watch out South Beach and Dog Patch.....

bowline
04-10-2011, 09:25 AM
I think that's the idea and part of how we get to $1.2B in revenue for the city - that and tens of thousands of spectators that will fill the restaurants, streets, beaches, etc.

My guess is that a great majority of the public have no idea the impact this will have on SF. Once the first AC72 hits the water, all hell will start to break loose.

bowline
04-12-2011, 06:44 PM
It looks like the final tally will be 12 confirmed challengers (3 unannounced) and the defender.

Hopefully the unannounced teams will disclose their entries soon - maybe this week.

IOR Geezer
04-13-2011, 03:21 PM
I'm just happy it was South Korea entering and not North Korea.

SC27Hero
04-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Does anyone know how many teams have purchased their 45 footers yet?

It has been reported the defender has theirs AND are using the Challengers boat because the Challenger can't afford it. So that is ONE.

It has been reported ARTEMIS has purchased their boat. That is TWO.

There is a lot of speculation regarding the TNZ boat. They are using it. Some are saying quietly that it might not be paid for.

What about the remaining challenger hopefuls? Have any of them placed orders yet? When will they take delivery?

bowline
04-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Does anyone know how many teams have purchased their 45 footers yet?

It has been reported the defender has theirs AND are using the Challengers boat because the Challenger can't afford it. So that is ONE.

It has been reported ARTEMIS has purchased their boat. That is TWO.

There is a lot of speculation regarding the TNZ boat. They are using it. Some are saying quietly that it might not be paid for.

What about the remaining challenger hopefuls? Have any of them placed orders yet? When will they take delivery?

Not sure I agree with all of your speculation. Participation in the ACWS events requires an AC45 so this will sort itself out prior to the first event in August, and the people that do know are not obligated to report who has ordered what, they are leaving announcements up to the teams.

The boat must be paid for to take delivery, so TNZ is covered. Inaccurate speculation/dock talk is easy to come by.

Like most teams, ML continues to work on funding so they are trying to conserve cash and have chartered their boat to OR.

I think the most likely French challenge, Energy is also in this position but have announced plans to purchase two boats.

Team China is supposed to take delivery on the 25th, and Cookson is now running two shifts to keep up, so that should indicate something.

Three teams are still unannounced, so I would say we'll have a more accurate picture in May or June.

Be patient, good things take time to come together.

SC27Hero
04-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Not sure I agree with all of your speculation. Participation in the ACWS events requires an AC45 so this will sort itself out prior to the first event in August, and the people that do know are not obligated to report who has ordered what, they are leaving announcements up to the teams.

The boat must be paid for to take delivery, so TNZ is covered. Inaccurate speculation/dock talk is easy to come by.

Like most teams, ML continues to work on funding so they are trying to conserve cash and have chartered their boat to OR.

I think the most likely French challenge, Energy is also in this position but have announced plans to purchase two boats.

Team China is supposed to take delivery on the 25th, and Cookson is now running two shifts to keep up, so that should indicate something.

Three teams are still unannounced, so I would say we'll have a more accurate picture in May or June.

Be patient, good things take time to come together.

I have not made any speculation. I am asking if anyone knows any facts. It seems obvious you know no more than I do and you are speculating.

You claim the 45 must be paid for to take delivery. That seems like speculation on your part. Do you have proof this has happened? This would not be the first time TNZ has received help from a Defender.

The charter of the ML boat seems like an excuse for the Defender to simply give a 45 to their poodle at no actual charge.

The French may have announced their plan to purchase two boats. So far it appears they have purchased none. When my son was 5 or 6 he announced his plan to be a race car driver.

It has been weeks since the TNZ boat was launched. If the production was on schedule there should be at least one, probably two boats ready for any team to pick up and assemble. So either production slowed due to lack of orders or there are parts in stock but no buyers.

You say China is supposed to take delivery in about a week. Weren't they about the 8th team to challenge? If so, why would they be the 4th team to receive a boat?

The Defender needs participants or they are going to lose a lot of money based on guarantees they have made. At a million USD per it is not a big expense for the Defender to carry the boat cost for teams that will agree to participate in the 2011 events.

Single Hander
04-17-2011, 08:43 PM
You would think that the un-named challengers could at least name their YC affiliation by now.

bowline
04-17-2011, 10:32 PM
I have not made any speculation. I am asking if anyone knows any facts. It seems obvious you know no more than I do and you are speculating.

You claim the 45 must be paid for to take delivery. That seems like speculation on your part. Do you have proof this has happened? This would not be the first time TNZ has received help from a Defender.

The charter of the ML boat seems like an excuse for the Defender to simply give a 45 to their poodle at no actual charge.

The French may have announced their plan to purchase two boats. So far it appears they have purchased none. When my son was 5 or 6 he announced his plan to be a race car driver.

It has been weeks since the TNZ boat was launched. If the production was on schedule there should be at least one, probably two boats ready for any team to pick up and assemble. So either production slowed due to lack of orders or there are parts in stock but no buyers.

You say China is supposed to take delivery in about a week. Weren't they about the 8th team to challenge? If so, why would they be the 4th team to receive a boat?

The Defender needs participants or they are going to lose a lot of money based on guarantees they have made. At a million USD per it is not a big expense for the Defender to carry the boat cost for teams that will agree to participate in the 2011 events.

You are obviously not keeping up with things.

It is fact that in order to take delivery the boat must be paid for. It may seem like speculation to you, and you can speculate about a lot of things if you really want to, but they wouldn't have the boat unless it was paid for. Go talk to Ian Murray if you need to get it from the horses mouth.

Team China ? it is what they said. As I stated earlier, pay attention to the teams announcements. They'll be sailing the ACRM 45 tomorrow and taking delivery of their own 45 on the 25th. They will take delivery of the 6th boat built. The order received was based on an agreed upon drawing, not the order entry date, but you probably knew that.

Regarding the ML boat, It's pretty difficult to give a boat to someone that you don't own, which is why you would charter it instead, don't you think or can't you figure that much out ?

Please provide specifics on the "guarantees" the defender has made, because I'm positive that's 100% pure speculation, you're wrong, and you have absolutely no facts to back up your assertion.

Seems like you need to take your flawed glass half full arguments back to SA.

SC27Hero
04-18-2011, 11:57 AM
You are obviously not keeping up with things.

It is fact that in order to take delivery the boat must be paid for. It may seem like speculation to you, and you can speculate about a lot of things if you really want to, but they wouldn't have the boat unless it was paid for. Go talk to Ian Murray if you need to get it from the horses mouth.

Team China ? it is what they said. As I stated earlier, pay attention to the teams announcements. They'll be sailing the ACRM 45 tomorrow and taking delivery of their own 45 on the 25th. They will take delivery of the 6th boat built. The order received was based on an agreed upon drawing, not the order entry date, but you probably knew that.

Regarding the ML boat, It's pretty difficult to give a boat to someone that you don't own, which is why you would charter it instead, don't you think or can't you figure that much out ?

Please provide specifics on the "guarantees" the defender has made, because I'm positive that's 100% pure speculation, you're wrong, and you have absolutely no facts to back up your assertion.

Seems like you need to take your flawed glass half full arguments back to SA.

It is obvious you have no more info than I do. You are a bigger windbag.

You have no idea whether TNZ have paid for their boat. I noticed you tried to play like a polititian and say the boat must have been paid for. I guess that gives you an out if it turns out Larry paid for it.

I wonder if you can point us to a list of the draw that shows the order people should be in line. Did Artemis draw the #1 spot for the Challengers? Did TNZ draw the #2 spot? Seems like quite the coincidence!

If Vinny has not paid for his boat how can he charter it to his friend Larry? If The Big Fella still owns the boat why would the charter fee go to the Rascal?

If Larry paid for the boat via phony charter fees so the Rascal could remain his viable poodle that would benefit Larry. This is how to give a boat to the Rascal free of charge.

I wonder why armchair nobodies like you get so worked up to the point you feel the need to defend Larry regardless of how silly you look?

bowline
04-18-2011, 09:40 PM
It is obvious you have no more info than I do. You are a bigger windbag.

You have no idea whether TNZ have paid for their boat. I noticed you tried to play like a polititian and say the boat must have been paid for. I guess that gives you an out if it turns out Larry paid for it.

I wonder if you can point us to a list of the draw that shows the order people should be in line. Did Artemis draw the #1 spot for the Challengers? Did TNZ draw the #2 spot? Seems like quite the coincidence!

If Vinny has not paid for his boat how can he charter it to his friend Larry? If The Big Fella still owns the boat why would the charter fee go to the Rascal?

If Larry paid for the boat via phony charter fees so the Rascal could remain his viable poodle that would benefit Larry. This is how to give a boat to the Rascal free of charge.

I wonder why armchair nobodies like you get so worked up to the point you feel the need to defend Larry regardless of how silly you look?

It looks like you still can't read the teams announcements, and your response is loaded with nothing but "ifs" and no facts, which shows you know nothing and only speculate about the negative. Name calling is good though, it makes your post more credible. Please keep it up.

FYI, China's entry was predicated on the fact that they would be the 8th entry. If you had any cultural background you might understand why, but you obviously don't.

Maybe you can prove TNZ did not pay for the boat instead of making baseless claims ? Didn't think so. Go read the protocol or ask Ian if you want the facts, but I guess you don't.

Where are all the specifics on the "guarantees" you claim LE provided ? More bullshit, eh ?

You seem to be the one without any facts that is worked up over what you don't know and can't back up.

Seems like you're nothing but a troll that got lost. Go back to your home on SA.

SC27Hero
04-19-2011, 02:17 PM
FYI, China's entry was predicated on the fact that they would be the 8th entry. If you had any cultural background you might understand why, but you obviously don't.

Maybe you can prove TNZ did not pay for the boat instead of making baseless claims ? Didn't think so. Go read the protocol or ask Ian if you want the facts, but I guess you don't.

I already mentioned China being the 8th entry. No one is disputing that. Why would you bring up this crazed non-sequiter? You seem to be losing it.

It does make us wonder why they didn't wait for the 8th hull to be produced if it is so important.

Of course you are not able to point to the listing of the outcome of the draw. I know the NBA and NFL drafts publish the draw far in advance of their drafts. Why doesn't a professional sporting organization like the AC Defender post the results when they have a draw?

You comment about reading the protocol is another laughable non-sequiter. If Larry wants to supply boats for selected teams to make his event seem more viable the protocol has nothing to do with it. TNZ pried cash out of Alinghi in the early days of 32. Dalts is no fool.

You should spend time hanging out at the SDYC bar. Many people there in the know. Much being discussed.

bowline
04-19-2011, 08:12 PM
I already mentioned China being the 8th entry. No one is disputing that. Why would you bring up this crazed non-sequiter? You seem to be losing it.

It does make us wonder why they didn't wait for the 8th hull to be produced if it is so important.

Of course you are not able to point to the listing of the outcome of the draw. I know the NBA and NFL drafts publish the draw far in advance of their drafts. Why doesn't a professional sporting organization like the AC Defender post the results when they have a draw?

You comment about reading the protocol is another laughable non-sequiter. If Larry wants to supply boats for selected teams to make his event seem more viable the protocol has nothing to do with it. TNZ pried cash out of Alinghi in the early days of 32. Dalts is no fool.

You should spend time hanging out at the SDYC bar. Many people there in the know. Much being discussed.

Hey lightbulb, let me help you with your own posts.

"You say China is supposed to take delivery in about a week. Weren't they about the 8th team to challenge? If so, why would they be the 4th team to receive a boat?"

Apparently you're unable to distinguish the order of challenges, which is public info, with the order entry for AC45's, which is not public, and you are also apparently unable to count to 5, which any pre-schooler can do. China is the 5th team to receive the 6th boat built, not the 4th team as you incorrectly stated. But that's ok, I'll keep count for you in case you can't keep track.

For reference, Artemis, TNZ, OR, and ML received the first 4 AC45's after ACRM, and if not publishing the draw is a real negative, please send your complaint to the OR mailbag - I'm sure it will receive priority and an immediate response as thousands of fans have all shared the same concern, probably because the design has received such horrible reviews across the board from everyone that's stepped foot on it. Still with me ?

I guess you can't come up with all the commitments LE made to SF which you incorrectly claimed, or did you conveniently overlook my first two requests ?

Maybe they're only being discussed at SDYC, and word hasn't yet filtered up to GGYC. But not many at GGYC are in the know about these types of things as they're only the defending club, why would they know anything ? Please do keep us informed with all the hot G2 out of SDYC. If you're so well informed at SDYC maybe you can tell us who the last two teams are that didn't make the cut ?

And speaking of which, your beloved TNZ just flipped their AC45 on the gulf. Maybe they'll divert all funding to the ugly fire engine red VOR boat and sail lead mines instead.

Good luck trying to extort LE for money when they're 85% funded with a $100M campaign. Sure thing pal - business is certainly not LE's strength and the cup would surely collapse without TNZ. I think the exact opposite is true, and it doesn't take a member of the equations club to figure that out.

Please do keep up the name calling and keep us informed of all the inputs from SDYC so I can keep the folks at GGYC informed :).