PDA

View Full Version : Can o' Whoopass Sailors named L-38's sailors of the month!

PD Staff
04-29-2011, 02:26 PM
In the last few years, Richard vonEhrenkrook (right) and Paul Sutchek have put up a string of division and overall wins that would be the envy of many racers. They extended that streak in April, taking overall honors in the 70-boat, nine-division doublehanded fleet in the Singlehanded Sailing Society's Corinthian Race aboard vonEhrenkrook's Cal 20 Can O' Whoopass. They did it despite the fact that Sutchek was sailing with a broken finger and swollen spleen suffered when they launched off a wave in Island YC's Doublehanded Lightship the month before.

"When he hit the boat it sounded like Gallagher hitting a watermelon with a hammer," vonEhrenkrook said. "All I saw was his finger at a 60 degree angle from where it should have been. He calmly put it back in line and kept going, but I could tell he was hurting."

"I still made all the jibes on the way back in," Sutchek said. "They weren't fast, but I completed all of them."

http://www.latitude38.com/YRASchedule/sailorofthemonth.html

Buzz Light Beer
04-29-2011, 03:39 PM
"revenge of the COW ass"

congrats guys!

war dog
04-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Kudos to the COW Ass........

Phil MacFarlane
04-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Congrats Guys!

Sanity Check
04-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Congrats. Well deserved. Anyone who has sailed against them on a boat even owing them well over a minute per mile has probably had them as a thorn in their side at one time or another... or many times over. Really cool name too.

I remember the crewed Farallones race - in 2006 I think - Whoop Ass was right along side the O30 I was on... bucking a building ebb off Point Bonita in extremely light air... bad news that neither boat was going to make it in before the 24 hour curfew.