PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed! Cruising questions for next summer...

Ballard Sailor
11-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Ok, I need your (an east coaster's) opinion of our plan for next summer. We are going to head east a purchase a small sailboat in the March/April time frame and then spend 6 to 7 months cruising the East Coast.

My question is where do we start. Do we purchase a boat up in Maine to Boston area and cruise south and then west around Florida to the inside or would it make more sense to start in say Alabama and work our way down around Florida and then up to Maine?

What's the pro's and Con's of each - any help or input would be great as I've never sailed on the east coast and don't know the normal wind patterns for the spring/summer.

Single Hander
11-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Logic tells me boats would be cheaper and more plentiful in Florida, and you would use the Gulf Stream to sail up the coast
where it gets warmer later. Plus you would avoid the hurricane season in all likelihood and season progresses.

Must be nice.

Ballard Sailor
11-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Yeah, we're leaning towards this great circle cruise thingy, maybe getting a boat North of Mobile and working South then around and up. It's hard to figure out the bridge clearance thing though, looks like 52' but I'd have to find some charts to make sure.

buster_hymen
11-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Curious, how large of a boat are you planning on purchasing and what will you do with it at the end of voyage?

Ballard Sailor
11-10-2011, 08:43 AM
We plan on getting something that will cost us a total of $10,000 to go sailing. So say $5,000 to $7,000 on a boat with some money to make a few upgrades if needed. All depends on the boat. That said I'm guessing something in the 25' to 30' range will fall in that price. Say an old 1/4 or 1/2 tonner, a MORC boat, a Cherubini 27, 30, or 33, a C&C, etc....something with an outboard or diesel, no atomic fours...

What we do with it at the end is dependent on where we get to and how much fun we're having. If we are done at the end of the season up north it will get put on the hard and sold, given to my Father-In-Law for his first boat or passed on to another sailor for their adventure. If we're having too much fun maybe we'll store it for a few months and come back next season. We really hadn't gotten the ending figured out fully, still working on the beginning and it sounds like starting down south is the way to go.

Charlie Tuna
11-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Call me a pestimist, but a $ 7,000 investment in an unknown boat your are trusting your life to in unfamiliar waters
for a 6-7 month voyage doesn't sound very prudent. I'm invisioning many suprises and unexpected and expensive
layovers along the way. That said, I wish you all the luck and hope you keep us all posted as the adventure progresses.

Ballard Sailor
11-13-2011, 09:02 PM
gotta take some risk somewhere....

Ballard Sailor
12-20-2011, 01:08 PM
So the plan is coming together, leave from the Chesapeake area in early April, follow the temp. North...

doghouse
12-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Not a bad call. Missing out on Florida and warm blue water is kind of a bummer, but given budgetary constraints, not a bad idea. You going outside the Bay or inside?

Ballard Sailor
01-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Sorry, guess I've been away from this thread too long. We don't have a definite plan yet, I just learned about the inside canal to the delaware last night so who knows which way we'll go!

Question though; How welcoming are east coast yacht clubs to cruising from the West Coast? Way to far away for our club to have reciprocals but I'm hoping some will extend it to us...

Just 5 weeks away...

doghouse
01-30-2012, 12:32 PM
That is a good question, that I honestly don't have an answer to. Here on the Bay, should be no problem, we are a hospitable bunch. In the Northeast? Well, I'll just let that be....

Ballard Sailor
02-17-2012, 09:30 AM
It's getting closer, time to start packing - we leave March 3rd.

Silverbullet
02-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Did you nail down a boat yet?

Cassidy
02-17-2012, 03:46 PM
It's getting closer, time to start packing - we leave March 3rd.

Hey! That's the day before March 4th!

Ballard Sailor
02-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Nice, you got it! Yep, the day before March 4th.

And no, we haven't nailed down the boat yet but have a bunch of options - We'll check them out when we get there. Leaders in my mind are a Ranger 28, a San Juan 30, a Cal 9.2, a Soverel 27, and a Cherubini 27. It's a hard debate over sailing ability vs. creature comforts. I seem to lean towards a good sailing boat with a bunk - we'll see what the wife likes. She's pretty hard core, but who knows.....

Here is the current short list of Boat Options.... (http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/entry.php?75-Boats-Boats-Boats)