View Full Version : 2012 Formula 18 World Championships

09-10-2012, 09:38 PM


Long Beach, CA
September 10, 2012

For the first time ever in the US, Alamitos Bay Yacht Club in Long Beach will host the Formula 18 World Championships, which will begin Tuesday September 11th, and run through September 15th. Fifeteen countries are represented, and over 120 boats are registered to race. Several World Champions, National Champions, Olympic Medalists, and an America’s Cup skipper for Oracle Team USA, are scheduled to attend.


The Formula 18 is a strict one-design class catamaran, meaning that it must adhere to certain design constraints. The hulls are 18 feet long, and boat weight, crew weight, sail size, and hull size, as well as materials and appendages are strictly regulated. Each boat must be weighed and measured by class certified measurers before being allowed to to compete. The highly maneuverable F18s can reach speeds approaching 30 knots, which makes for exciting racing. Because of its Formula designation, the class is open to multiple manufactures, as long as their boat fits into the Formula rule.


The Hobie Factory Racing Team of Greg Thomas and Jacques Bernier, were born and raised sailing catamarans. Greg generally drives, while Jacques sheets the main and trims spinnaker. As youth, Greg, a native of San Diego, and Jacques from Daytona Beach Florida, spent their summer vacations travelling around the county racing Catamarans. Greg progressed through the Hobie 18 fleet, eventually taking the National Championship title in 1991, and Jacques took his first national title in the Tornado class in 1999. Sailing together beginning in 2000, it was natural for the two outstanding sailors to join forces aboard the F18. They placed in the top 5 at the 2005 Hobie Tiger Worlds, which was sailed off of the beach in Santa Barbara. Greg and Jacques naturally meshed and became an unstoppable force in the fleet, winning multiple other US F18 championship titles.


Greg and Jacques will be sailing the Formula F18 Worlds aboard their Hobie Wild Cat. Jacques is excited to have the F18 Worlds close to his home on the west coast of California, and explains, “With all of the traveling that we’ve done over the years with the F18 Fleet, it’s nice to have this event at our home club.” The Class has been primarily a European Based Class, so it’s nice to have them here. It’s a great venue.”

Greg echoes Jacques’ excitement, “I’m happy to have the F18 Worlds in my home waters again. It’s been seven years since we’ve had a World Championships here in California, and we’re going to make a run for it like we did last time.”

Races will start at 11:55am each day, and can be viewed from the beach just south of the Long Beach Harbor.

Jeremy Leonard

09-13-2012, 10:07 PM


French take over lead with consistency

Take Olivier Backes' word for it: Winning isn't everything.

But it helps.

The French sailor and crew Matthieu Vandame from Marseille took over first place from Switzerland's Billy Besson and Jeremie Laguarrigue Thursday in the GLOBALTECH Formula 18 World Championship with a relatively modest scoreline (1-3-(6)-6-3-2-1-3-4) but no finish worse than sixth, one of which he discarded.

Backes, who won the F18 Worlds off his native shores in 2010, said, "Our goal is to be consistent. Winning races is not our goal."


All Photos © Christophe Favreau Photography (http://christophefavreau.photoshelter.com/)



Still, they are one of only two entries among 118 from 16 countries in the event hosted by Alamitos Bay Yacht Club
to win two races, along with Besson and Laguarrigue, who dropped four points off the pace after finishing 24th in
the day's last race, a result they tossed to count a seventh place Wednesday.

The second throwout kicks in with the 11th race Friday.

Thursday's noon start was delayed a few minutes as competitors searched for the course in a
thick layer of fog off Seal Beach, but then the curtain lifted to open a show of strenuous sailing
marked by several capsizes in the choppy seas of 4 to 5 feet churned up by two days of southwest winds to 15 knots.

It was a day to test the best monohull sailors on the globe. After two days of six qualifying races,
the fleet was divided evenly into Gold and Silver groups for the final nine races through Saturday.

"We like medium wind," Backes said, "although it was a little stronger than medium today."


The French made their move in the first race around the 1.5-mile long trapezoid course challenged
only by the Swiss, who finished about 30 meters behind.

Mischa Heemskerk and crew Bastiaan Tentij of The Netherlands are in third place 14 points off the pace,
while defending champion Darren Bundock and crew Jeroen van Leeuwen are another point back after a so-so 5-5-9 day.

"The French had a great day," Bundock said. "It seemed a lot bumpier out there today."

It was the first day the contestants were split into Gold and Silver fleets with separate starts,
based on their results over the first two days. Bundock liked it what way.

"It's always better when you're in the Gold fleet because you know who you're racing against," he said.


He knows he's racing against Backes, who placed fourth in the Tornado class in the 2008 Olympics,
although the 39-year-old electrical engineer isn't a regular on the F18 circuit.

"I sail maybe 30 days a year," Backes said. "That's it. I need to work most of the time."

The veteran race jury is led by Ralph Roberts of New Zealand, joined by Don Becker and Bill Stump of the USA,
Noel Allen of Australia and Francisco Jauregui of Mexico. Most of the submissions so far have concerned requests
for redress, not the usual protests.

The racing is being tracked on the Kattack website by courtesy of the title sponsor.


Results (http://www.abyc.org/upload/2012_F18_World_Championship2.html)

09-17-2012, 05:18 PM

A short video showing aerial shots from some of the 2012 Globaltech F18 worlds run in Long Beach (California - USA) and organised by the Alamitos Bay Yacht Club.

Images and editing by Christophe Favreau
More on www.christophefavreau.com

F18 5150
09-19-2012, 06:44 PM
2012 GLOBALTECH Formula 18 World Championships

Daisy and I loaded up the dogs, boat, and the truck for the trip to Long Beach California early Friday morning. We left Eureka and in Fortuna we stopped for breakfast about 20 minutes in to the trip saw everyone set to travel. I was counting on about 13 hours of driving but like a lot on this trip I was in for a surprise. Two hours later we were stopping for fuel and a dog walk in Willits, Ca. after 134 miles. We used up the Safeway $0.50 fuel discount and got back on the road. We proceeded to make the downhill run to Hwy 20 and headed East, to avoid Bay Area traffic. After driving past several fire areas causing us to slow considerably we came out into clearer area to hit I-5 and make some time South.
Pleased to see clear traffic lanes we made our way to Woodland for some late lunch. We then continued south to Sacramento where there was some traffic but we still were making decent time rarely going below 50 Mph. Just south of Sacramento traffic began to open up and I tucked in behind a 18 wheeler and rolled south at about 60 Mph. We stayed behind the same truck till we got to Lost Hills, Ca. and after 400 miles we stopped to fill the fuel and empty our bladders. It was getting late but there were miles to go and we proceeded on.
Driving at night the traffic was very light and we covered the last 166 miles to get to Long Beach, Ca. at about 2:30 am. We proceeded to Alamitos Bay Yacht Club where we put the boat into the parking lot and went to our Hotel. At our Hotel they were full for the night and we couldn’t check in early. We grabbed a bite to eat at the local diner and drove back to ABYC. We drove into the parking lot and just crawled into the back for a nap. 16 hours on the road and, after a couple hours sleep there was commotion in the lot and I got up to see what was going on. A quick Bathroom trip and then looking at some of the new boats on the lawn and I saw some familiar faces driving in. Jasper and Peter drove in and after getting them the sails they had chartered we talked about going for some breakfast. We went for croissants and donuts with some coffee and went back to begin the process of check-in.
Saturday we got the boat off the trailer and got all the pieces and parts ready to be measured. Having never had the platform certified it was a long process and took most of Saturday to get done. There were several volunteers doing this instead of tuning and sailing their own boats. This meant getting the whole sail boat weighed then removing everything and having the bare platform weighed. We then had to have the individual pieces weighed and recorded. After the Daggers, rudders, poles and sails were stamped I then had to take my sails to the measurement pile. It was late in the day so we stood the mast and got the boat ready other than the sails. We found a nice spot on the grass and made our way to our Hotel for the night. Sunday we got in to the sail measurement area and saw a pile of sails to be measured in. The measurement team was working hard to get the sails done, again being all volunteers giving up time to help others. Daisy and I helped out for a while and after the pile of sails was done we took our sails and put them on the boat. Now that the boat was all legal we went to registration and filled out all the paperwork. We got all the paperwork done and put the boat in the water and sailed over to the beach. We decided to call it a day and went to walk the dogs at the park.
Monday we got the boat together and put the sails up. After some adjustment to the dagger pockets we went out for the practice races. After several tacks down the channel we were in the Pacific and ready to start the practice races. Our boards were still shifting in the pockets as we were on the long tack out to the course so as we met the fleet at the start area we decided to turn back and fix the problem. The winds were light and shifty so we weren’t missing much and wanted the boat in optimal shape for the morning. We hit the beach and changed the boards to a stock set and took the extra padding out of the wells. All was set and we were prepared to begin racing. We went in for the dinner and opening ceremony. Food and beverages were on the patio at ABYC and everyone settled in to hear from our hosts and sponsors. A good time was had and then it was off for some sleep.
Tuesday morning saw a warm calm condition in the area. We made our way to the race area and the wind was light and shifty. The race committee got three races in and we struggled in the light conditions. With the 4 fleet set up we got to race against everyone in the qualifier. Our scores were 56, 53 , 53 which had us back in 106th place. Not a great result but we were not dead last so we sailed on and worked to do better and learn from the poor results. After racing we went back to the Yacht Club for a sponsored dinner and drinks. There was an event every night after racing and the yacht club was a wonderful in making sure everyone was taken happy and relaxed.
Wednesday morning there was a nice fog bank on the water and that meant there would be wind. Daisy and I geared up and made the push off to get to the course. With the wind up it was a quick trip to the race area. Winds were about 12 to 13 and gusting a bit higher but very manageable. Daisy and I began to find our groove and we managed to complete all 3 races in the building breeze. The first race we missed the set-up but began improving from there. A 57th place finish was followed by a 53rd then a 46th place leaving us in 110th place over all but feeling good about doing better as the day went on. We left after racing and a shower to go have dinner with friends.
Thursday morning there was a call for more wind and bigger seas. The fleet was split into Gold and Silver fleet already so we were set to race for the best of the rest. Daisy and I got the boat rigged and made our way out. It was obvious there was going to be more wind and waves. Race one we did well and got a 36th place finish. The big waves were knocking us hard and I lost my footing a few times but we kept the boat going. Several boats were already on the beach so we knew if we kept sailing our positions would keep improving. The third race we were really driving hard. We had every setting perfect and the boat was really going upwind well. We completed the upwind, downwind, upwind , reach and turned down for the bottom gate. The wind was at about 14-15 and gusting to 18-19 knots, with 4 to 5 foot waves and a few rollers at 6 to 7 feet. We were doing about 16 knots downwind when we got into a gust line. We managed to save the boat 2 times but the third time the waves turned the boat sideways. We were in 46th place after missing the last 2 races in the day. We were in 25th place when we flipped so we were doing good but that’s life.
The boat immediately flipped sending Daisy through the main.
In the water Daisy got separated and the boat and I drifted off. I managed to call the race committee safety boat and got our boat righted. The boat flipped right back over on me and then this happened again. I decided to wait for the safety boat and they helped me get the boat back upright after picking up Daisy from the ocean. She was about ¼ mile away when they got to her. We tried to transfer her back to our boat but missed twice and then I began to sail back with her on the safety boat. She was transferred to a different boat and then to our boat just inside the channel to the bay. We got the boat back to the beach and started to access the damage. The main sail was damaged and my shoulder was in serious pain. Team Trapout helped me get my boat up the beach and the sails down, Thanks guys you were a big help.
We got cleaned up and talked to the Glasers about repairing the sail. They agreed to fix the sail and I washed it off and laid it out to dry. After another wonderful meal we went chatted with our friends and decided to call it a night. We stopped by the park to walk the dogs and have a relaxing evening. With my shoulder out of socket and in a lot of pain we went back to the hotel with some icepacks and a sling to help me get through the night.
Friday morning I again filled my icepack and put my arm in the sling. We went to ABYC and I informed race committee we were not going to be on the race area for the day. Daisy was asked to again look at some injured people and she did as she had all week long. With me being too torn up to sail anymore we decided to take the boat down and get ready to leave. Mark Jones helped Daisy and I take the mast down and get it to the trailer lot. We got the boat disassembled and ready to go on the trailer. Hugh Styles and Alain Sign from team GBR 7 helped me put the boat on the trailer. Daisy and I then finalized the tie down and covers and we took it easy the rest of the day. We had a nice meal and then went back to the hotel for the night.
Saturday morning we went back to ABYC and said our goodbyes to our friends. We wished everyone well and got on the road. Daisy and I learned a lot and had fun while it lasted. We ended up in 52nd in silver fleet after missing the last six races. Hopefully my shoulder will be back to normal soon and we will be back using what we learned. Thanks to GLOBALTECH, ABYC, ZHIK, HOBIE, NACRA, KAENON, SAIL REVOLUTION, and all that made this a wonderful event.

09-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Thank you for the write-up. You have my best wishes for a good shoulder recovery. I trust you made it home safely.

The Oman team injury was also ~sad, resulting in a withdrawal from the series.

ref: Oman Sail 9/12/12 (http://www.omansail.com/news/2012/9/12/Omans-f18-team-win-opening-race-of-their-first-ever-world-championships)

Oman’s f18 team win opening race of their first ever world championships

"Racing in tricky slightly misty conditions with light seven to nine knot breezes the Omanis took their first group race honours ahead of the top French team of Olivier Backes, the Netherlands team of Coen de Koning, Swiss Billy Besson and Carolijn Brouwer who has been dominant at championships this year and is leading the event overall after three races."

“They were leading again in Race 2. But just 200 meters from the windward mark Musab and Ahmed were coming from the right side of the course, five boat lengths in front of Carolijn Bouwer approaching from the left when Musab's trapeze line failed.

“While falling and trying to grab what was remaining he injured his hand,” said Oman Sail national catamaran coach Paul Wakelin who was out on the course following the race."


F18 5150
09-21-2012, 12:00 AM
There were several injuries. Shoulders, knees, ribs, backs, several cuts, broken nose and a concussion, and a few more. There was one Doctor competing and they would be seeing at least one person before and after racing.