PDA

View Full Version : AC Discovered: 55 A Must Watch! AC 72 Foiling

Photoboy
09-16-2012, 09:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxioOWSwCx8

"To fly or not to fly? This week's Americas Cup Discovered focuses on the latest technology as the hydro-foiling 72 foot wing-sailed catamarans become a reality. The secrecy around all the teams and their boat design has been rife, but we were there the moment ORACLE TEAM USA's AC72 '17' went on the water - including the instant it all went wrong - join us this week for unseen footage of what has forced the team back to the drawing board."

Editors note: Attended a presentation by Artemis Racing's CEO Paul Cayard last night following the day of youth team match racing at EYC. One of the points made during the talk was that the reason for the long delay in repairing the daggerboards for Oracle, is that you are by rule only allowed 5 pair, 10 total daggerboards. Obviously what didn't work needed to be reassessed, no point in having 4 spares which could fail accordingly. Time frame to construct foils is 4-8 weeks, depending.

When asked whether the cantilever daggerboards will be employed in the AC72' ala l'hydroptere, the reply, a rather detailed one with lots of technical jargon seemed to
imply that l' hydroptere's sophisticated correctional mechanics which offset the forces created by by the articulating daggerboards are not allowed by rule.

familysailor
09-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Wow! Thanks for that PB!
Any more info about the yute team stuff at EYC?
Were they AC yutes?

familysailor
09-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Okay--
Just found the info on the racing at EYC. The Artemis Kids that have been here recently raced in FJs against some college and high school teams on the Estuary in a match racing format.
EYC does have a mention of the event on their youth program calender, but I could not find any other information on the EYC website.
It does not appear that any of the local AC Youth teams were involved.
Information regarding results are limited and mentioned in a news blurb found on Artemis' AC web page: http://artemis-racing.americascup.com/news/2925

Photoboy
09-16-2012, 12:07 PM
It was just recently added in a co effort of Artemis Racing and the EYC...pretty cool prizes for the winners..will have more later...

fototaker
09-16-2012, 06:12 PM
thanks for all the great info!! yes, i have previously read about the practice days and equipment limitations, and i can see what would result in this case of one important piece of equipment failing, then what to do with the AC-restrictions in effect? appreciate your research, details and sharing of information. re: Artemis Racing' Youth Program, they've been pretty consistent in posting info, pixs on twitter and did post something about the EYC race last week. however, in thinking the RB-AC YP is for these same youths to sail AC45s next year on a AC45, i thought it strange to see Artemis allowing the YP participants on the AC45 last week but seemingly in a observatory and not active role. how does a young sailor learn to sail a AC45 by just watching and sitting/standing to one side?

Photoboy: maybe we'll bump cameras again during the upcoming AC-event in a few weeks! i'll have a scooter in the following days, and wondering if i can scooter over to get my pixs. at least i won't be bathed in sweat after pedaling for 20mins with 30lbs on my back!! see ya and again: thanks and appreciate your work!

fototaker
09-16-2012, 07:11 PM
hahahaa the above episode of ACD is airing on local bay area channel 41!!! am watching it now!! ;)

Buzz Light Beer
09-16-2012, 09:37 PM
It's on right now on nbc 11