PDA

View Full Version : Long Island Sound Racing

Jack Fate
07-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Time to get on with it folks.
Here are some upcoming events for handicap boats.

July
13-14 Sat/Sun 115th Annual Larchmont Race Week

13 Sat Lloyd Harbor YC – 41st Annual Stratford Shoal Distance Race

20-21 Sat/Sun 115th Annual Larchmont Race Week

25 Thurs Sea Cliff YC Around Long Island Race 37th Annual

And One design events.

July
3-9/11 Weds Harlem YC – J24 Fleet 61 Wednesday Night Summer Series
J24

13 Sat American YC – Queens Cup (LIS Women’s Champs)
Ideal 18

13-14 Sat/Sun Larchmont YC -- 115th Annual Race Week
Vanguard 15, IOD, Shields, S-Boats

14 Sun Larchmont YC -- 115th Annual Race Week
Ideal 18

20-21 Sat/Sun Larchmont YC -- 115th Annual Race Week
Viper 640, Etchells, IOD, Shields, S-Boats

20-21 Sat/Sun Larchmont YC – LIS Challenge Cup
Ideal 18

BobJ
07-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Is Mort Weintraub still racing?

Jack Fate
07-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Not that I am aware of.
Jamie A. now owns Troubie, from what I understand.

BobJ
07-04-2013, 10:58 AM
That's too bad - Mort was a real help when I bought his J/33 out here. I hope he's okay.

familysailor
07-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Isn't the thread title still wrong?

I thought Lonnngguyland was all one word.

Jack Fate
07-04-2013, 12:23 PM
No. It is only pronounced like that by people who are not originally from Long Island.
In fact, before a whole bunch of NYC types moved out east, the east end and particularly the north fork had a yawky accent. Think Massachusetts if you are wondering what a yawky accent is..

familysailor
07-04-2013, 01:15 PM
My life has been spent almost completely on the left coast.
Been to New York twice waiting for connecting flights. Never left the Airport.
The first time a had to take a leak. I managed to arrive at the men's head just in time to witness a mugging.
The second time my connecting flight from the Caribbean to the west coast was delayed because of a blizzard. Naturally I was dressed in shorts topsiders w/o socks and a Hawaiian shirt.
Coldest day in my life...

Jack Fate
07-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Funny. Never been mugged... not even witnessed one. Brooklyn born but grew up on LI. Actually, when I was a kid, there were potato fams about a mile from our house and we were only a mile from the Queens )NYC) border. A lot has changed but please don't judge the center of the universe by our airports!

BobJ
07-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Jack (and others from LIS), here's a bit more about Mort and the great LIS-based J/33 "Troubador" - from an old e-mail:

Bob,
I have bored hundreds of people with the Troubador story. My family, crew, friends, suppliers, strangers on planes, all have pleaded for surcease as I regale them with the smallest details of the incredible nine season saga. What follows are some of the bigger details.

Troubado(u)r J-36, was destroyed (fully insured) in a storm during the first half of May, 1989. We had just started our third season. The first two were not very successful. The third had started out the same. My main crew guys persuaded me to NOT get another J-36. The J-35 was the hot class at the time, but it was riven by contention and contentious people. So the 33 seemed a good idea. At the time hull #14, If Only (the brochure boat) was for sale. The owner wanted a lot of money, I was about to give him what he wanted. The insurance claim had been approved in full.

In those days, The NY Times carried a lot of boat ads on Sunday. I was up early, about 6AM, and saw a 33 listed. I waited until 7:30 and called the number. It was Hoodlum, which I had seen at BIRW the previous season. They had finished 2nd to If Only. They had done KWRW in Jan 89 and had won in class. (The boat was a Shore project platform) The owner had decided to not do that anymore. As we chatted the owner mentioned his price. It was far below the If Only number. The boat was in a marina in Annapolis. I said to the owner, “I’ll meet you at the boat at 1PM. If everything is as you say, We have a deal.” My youngest son and I took the shuttle to DC, rented a car and drove to Annapolis. The seller met us. We looked at the boat thoroughly and made the deal, subject to survey. The survey was done Wednesday. The seller moved the boat to Cape May, NJ over the next weekend. On the next Thursday five of my guys went to Cape May and sailed the boat to New York. They arrived at South St. Seaport Friday afternoon. We had a cocktail party on the boat. I slept on the boat at the Seaport that night. The next morning we went up the East River on the flood tide ; hit Hell Gate perfectly at slack, and rode the ebb tide to Larchmont, practicing as we went. The perfect timing of the tide was a harbinger of the great karma that the little red boat brought to the program.

Five days later we went to BI. Tony Rey, a high school buddy of my son, now an ACC type, drove and we were 13-1-2-1-2. We had won BIRW. What a great thrill. We have had plenty since, but none like that. In the nine seasons we sailed the 33 we won: BI three times and in the money 4 other times. Three times for the Spring Series. Four times for the Fall series. In the money at every NOOD. (one first) One win and one second in two tries at Buzzards’ Bay. And one season title. We won a few distance races. (not our forte). And one woman’s regatta! There were other lesser things . . ."

I can't find Mort's other e-mails (it was 12-13 years ago) but they describe how superstitious Mort was and some of the great karma that the "little red boat" seemed to bring to every race. Troubadour was intentionally misspelled "Troubador" because of the bad luck he'd had with the J/36 (who's name had been spelled correctly). Its hailing port (on the transom) was "Graceland." Mort requested a sail number that if assigned to the letters in the alphabet spelled out "Weintraub" - and on it went.

I bought the boat in 2000 and raced it for a couple of seasons. We did well in every race we entered, including winning the OYRA shorthanded season championship in 2002. It was a special boat and not hard to sail to its rating if you were careful. I sold it to a gentleman from Kaneohe - as Mort had done, the buyer showed up with 4-5 crew and they sailed it from here (SF Bay) to Hawaii, where it lives and races to this day. If you finish a Pacific Cup and back in along winners' row, you'll see a bright red J/33 across from you - that's Troubador.

After the J/33, Mort bought an Express 37 and like he had done with the J/33, had it tricked out at Custom Offshore. I don't know if he ever won as much with the E37 as he did with the little red boat.

Jack Fate
07-04-2013, 04:15 PM
He did well with the 37 but it was a tough group. We often exchanged positions on the podium... sort of like musical chairs.

familysailor
07-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Oh, I haven't. Not sure about the center of the universe thing.
The mugging could have been staged for the tourists.odpo

Ballard Sailor
07-04-2013, 06:45 PM
I did some fun racing in Manhasset on Sonars when we were cruising the East Coast last summer. Had a great time and met some new friends! Didn't get to race again until we got up to Marblehead on an 8 meter - but Long Island Sound looks like it could be a great place to race. Hope to hear more about it.

Jack Fate
07-05-2013, 05:28 AM
"Center of the Universe" is a reference to Tom Wolfe's book Bonfires of the Vanity. What the "Masters of their Domain" called NYC.
I do know when ever I am not around NYC, it is like watching the grass grow. So Wolfe might have been onto something

Jack Fate
07-05-2013, 05:30 AM
Ballard, it is a different place to sail. Lots of local anomalies in the wind and current. Makes distance racing very challenging.
It is not too uncommon for two boats to be headed in opposite directs, 100 yards apart, both running in a moderate breeze.

BobJ
07-05-2013, 08:38 AM
So Jack, 'splain something about LIS racing to this West Coaster. From the threads "over there" it sounds like the EBYRA, City Island (etc.) crowd take smack-talk to a whole 'nuther level. To quote Snags, "You guyes our licke sibbings allwayes fiteng!!"

Is it a New York thing (like trampling each other to get on the subway) or is it that group of sailors, or what?

Jack Fate
07-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Yes.

Eastchester Bay the EB in EBYRA is between Throggs Neck and City Island. That is Bronx County and as such has a healthy dose of The Bronx in its genes. Some say it is inbreeding, some say it is the CBS radio and TV antenna and some say it is the water, but it is not uncommon for the locals to sport bumper stickers that say things like "Get the fuck off my island!" or "City Island Native".
EBYRA is made up of 4 yacht clubs all located on City Island. The Morris, CIYC, Harlem YC and Stuyvesant YC. However, the population of CI is not big enough to justify 2 yacht clubs, let alone 4. So the membership of these clubs are made up of folks not really from the area. It is more a haven for sailors who wish to sail in LIS but that live away from the water, NYC, northern New Jersey and some parts of Westchester County. I think it should also be noted that because there are 4 clubs in a very small community, that they fight for members. As such their dues and initiation fees are kept low and that attracts some less that desirable people.
It is also interesting that Eastchester Bay is quite shallow. A boat with a 7 foot draft is hard pressed in the mooring field. As such there are very few boat over say 33-37 feet in length. The average is probably right around 30 feet. The rest of the western sound I would say the average is closer to 37-40 feet. So there is an element of big fish in small pound going on.
Don't get me wrong, there are some very nice people who sail out of City Island. The clubs all look out towards the NYC skyline and it has great potential. But like anything you tend to hear the loudmouths of the bunch and associate that with the greater community.

Christian
07-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Yes.

Eastchester Bay the EB in EBYRA is between Throggs Neck and City Island. That is Bronx County and as such has a healthy dose of The Bronx in its genes. Some say it is inbreeding, some say it is the CBS radio and TV antenna and some say it is the water, but it is not uncommon for the locals to sport bumper stickers that say things like "Get the fuck off my island!" or "City Island Native".
EBYRA is made up of 4 yacht clubs all located on City Island. The Morris, CIYC, Harlem YC and Stuyvesant YC. However, the population of CI is not big enough to justify 2 yacht clubs, let alone 4. So the membership of these clubs are made up of folks not really from the area. It is more a haven for sailors who wish to sail in LIS but that live away from the water, NYC, northern New Jersey and some parts of Westchester County. I think it should also be noted that because there are 4 clubs in a very small community, that they fight for members. As such their dues and initiation fees are kept low and that attracts some less that desirable people.
It is also interesting that Eastchester Bay is quite shallow. A boat with a 7 foot draft is hard pressed in the mooring field. As such there are very few boat over say 33-37 feet in length. The average is probably right around 30 feet. The rest of the western sound I would say the average is closer to 37-40 feet. So there is an element of big fish in small pound going on.
Don't get me wrong, there are some very nice people who sail out of City Island. The clubs all look out towards the NYC skyline and it has great potential. But like anything you tend to hear the loudmouths of the bunch and associate that with the greater community.

You forget to mention that the extreme levels of heavy metals and PCB's in the water (Thanks IBM and GE) does reduce IQ over time due to exposure. This does certainly to some degree explain the childish behavior of the EBYRA folks. Unfortunately some of these pollutants also greet the rest of the sound (albeit in somewhat more diluted form), which is why the cesspool behavior spreads a bit into the middle LIS area.

BobJ
07-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Jack's last sentence is what I've always assumed, but the rest is good background - thanks. I correspond with Thin Man through our Owners' Forum (it's also a J/92). He races with them but appears to avoid them on SA.

Jack Fate
07-05-2013, 02:40 PM
TA is a great guy. Sailed with him on TM and other boats. He used to mix it up with Espo on SA but came to realize that Espo will say anything, do anything, to win. So as TA once said, "You can't win that argument."