PDA

View Full Version : Sell or Trade my Zap 26

DaveT
08-21-2014, 08:28 AM
after sailing the boat over the summer I have determined that it is just a bit too much for me to handle. Remember, I'm a paraplegic and this has some power.

Ballenger made a new mast and there are quite a few new things on board.
I think this boat would make a Great Single handed boat. Off the wind in a breeze with the flat bottom she will get up and go. In tight air the low wetted surface makes for quick acceleration.

If you want to get some professional opinions, Call Ron Moore and ask him about the boat as he did some work on it or Ask Ballenger about the mast.

I am considering selling or trading for a good Moore 24 or maybe a well kept J 24.
Here is a link to an online folder with lots of good photos.
http://www.webbdawg.com/zap/images/

I think the boat would be an excellent fit for the bay area.

dave@webbdawg.com

DaveT
08-25-2014, 06:50 PM
I'm guessing that the 90 some odd views are from bots.

I find it hard to believe that no one would be interested in a boat designed by Bruce King after the ULDB revolution and may be the Mother of the Modern Sport Boat.

Just look at the lines.

BobJ
08-25-2014, 07:41 PM
It's a nice-looking boat Dave, but it's a non-OD race boat. Those can take a LONG time to sell because they interest a tiny segment of an already-small market. A local, long-time industry pro told me that racing is only 10% of the sailing activity on SF Bay (for example), and that includes OD racing.

Maybe market it outside the sailing community and offer to include lessons, or set up a partnership and sell shares, etc. - it may take some creativity to get your money out of it. BTW, most sellers just keep cutting the price. Unless it's truly overpriced I don't think that's the issue. The handful of buyers who are watching are happy to wait while you bid against yourself, and then they come in and "steal" a good boat.

Photoboy
08-25-2014, 09:46 PM
Maybe if you put it where it belongs, the FREE space dedicted to selling shit?

http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?14-Yard-Sale-Help-Needed

DaveT
08-26-2014, 10:50 AM
It's a nice-looking boat Dave, but it's a non-OD race boat. Those can take a LONG time to sell because they interest a tiny segment of an already-small market. A local, long-time industry pro told me that racing is only 10% of the sailing activity on SF Bay (for example), and that includes OD racing.

Maybe market it outside the sailing community and offer to include lessons, or set up a partnership and sell shares, etc. - it may take some creativity to get your money out of it. BTW, most sellers just keep cutting the price. Unless it's truly overpriced I don't think that's the issue. The handful of buyers who are watching are happy to wait while you bid against yourself, and then they come in and "steal" a good boat.

Make reasonable offers, I have not priced it yet but I know I will not get top dollar. I've been around boats long enough to know the value.

These guys that single hand race the Olson, Express, SC and Moore should really take a look at this boat. In light and heavy air it will walk away. The low wetted surface bottom shape allows for extended high speed surfs. In light air it is not sticky.

I wish I had my legs because I would do it but the boat has too much performance for my broken body.

I'd really be interested in a trade to something I can have a bit of an easier time sailing like the Moore. I can reach everything and I don't need headroom (LOL). I'd love to get out to Santa Cruz Island for a weekend by myself.

The Flash
08-26-2014, 02:41 PM
If it's a power thing, why not go for a smaller, flatter sail plan?

Looks like a nice boat, but I'm not in the market for a smaller boat these days with a wife and 2 girls all wanting private space.