PDA

View Full Version : Lipton Cup 2010 SF Bay

war dog
07-15-2010, 11:30 AM
WD and Caca Cabeza will be among the crew representing the RYC any others PD’ers coming out to play this weekend??

Cassidy
07-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Does it involve drinking tea?

war dog
07-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Does it involve drinking tea?

No but the call for more Rum has alread- been made b- Caca and it is 0730 the morning of the first race...............last time I was on tbhis boat m- Dad and Gar- Mull were both on on board and I was just out of the Arm-...........the- are both gone and I am a bit older................This could be EPIC!!!

Slackwater_SF
07-17-2010, 06:58 PM
What time is the start on Sunday?

PD Staff
07-17-2010, 08:50 PM
No but the call for more Rum has alread- been made b- Caca and it is 0730 the morning of the first race...............last time I was on tbhis boat m- Dad and Gar- Mull were both on on board and I was just out of the Arm-...........the- are both gone and I am a bit older................This could be EPIC!!!

Somebody get WD a new keyboard already!

How was the racing? Try to report without using "y"s.... :)

war dog
07-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Sunda- Frist start 11:00...........

1st race -_ucca,tuplo,Spindrift,then others............2nd race Tuplo,-uca,Spindrift then others..................or the other wa- around!!!..........WD needs moving boxes not a ke-board......WD jr would just eat the - ke- again..................Caca,WD's Bro and J from Fresno are doing a great job of ridding the world of Rum!!!...................I expect a full report from Caca after detox!!

Oh -ea toda-s sailing t-pical summer wind #1 for 1st race #3 for 2nd.

enzo
07-20-2010, 12:18 AM
4 divisions 12 boats?
PICYA does Rip Van Winkle.
Wake up guys..oh wait - you still don't get the "tubes"
20th century got you confused?

But this:
"There will be drinking" !!
OK then.

Buzz Light Beer
07-20-2010, 12:15 PM
The liver is evil and must be punished!

Big Brass Balls
07-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Just some minor tea-bagging!

Slackwater_SF
07-22-2010, 10:40 AM
4 divisions 12 boats?

July is supposed to be for a vacation from boating.
Take the family to a baseball game?

26 boats - YRA 7/10/10, hosted by the Bay View Boat Club
27 boats - InterClub 7/10/10, hosted by the Treasure Island Yacht Club

Caca Cabeza
07-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Here is my saga about a crewmember, Charlie Mike. Sorry for the delay in reporting. Because of the rum leak, I had to go to some, um, 'meetings'.

OK, Here we go. Last weekend sailed in a championship regatta. The kind where each yacht club gets to select a boat and loads it upwith local hot sailors in an attempt to win the prize for which yacht club has the best sailors. We'll call it the "Tea Cup". OK, so granted it's a Hawaii race year so a lot of the fastest boats are on their way to the tropics, but still we were on a decent boat representing the local YC. About half of the crew has sailed with each other for 20 or so years and the other half are very godsailors in their own right. Between us there are probably about a dozen or so Hawaii races, tens of thousands of offshore racing experience, Big Boat Series out the ass and so on. In short, we're all pretty good sailors.

So, along comes "Charlie" the local know how from the yacht club who rings up the owner and says you've been selected to represent our club in the Tea Cup.... And I'M going to be the tactician. OK.That does create some awkwardness because among the crew is a sailor who is very knowledgeable on sailing, tactics and, um, hydrology. Yeah, we'll call it hydrology to protect the innocent. He's pretty good a tit, too. In fact he has given hundreds of talks and lectures on the subject of the local sailing area's hydrology. But he is a really low key guy and it's OK with him just to be along and help where needed. Let's call him Jake. He's been in the game a long time, is pretty damn good, and has the Rolex to prove it.

Charlie comes aboard and professes his excellence and mastery of all things sailing. He also tells us in no uncertain terms that no one is more humble than he. No one. As we go out on the course, the first thing we all note is that he is keenly aware of what a lousy bunch of guys are on board and with every tack, maneuver, trim, suggestion, he tells the crew how piss poor that tack was, or that the main looks like shit, or why on earth are you putting the spinnaker gear on that way, WE quit doing it like that in the 80's for God's sake! You get the picture.

OK, the other 10 of us on board politely take Charlie's abuse and go about doing our jobs the way we always have and there are no screw ups. We just sail a damn good rave and place well. On interesting thing on the first day of racing is that Charlie only has two jobs. Tactics and the runners.At almost each tack, Charlie proclaims the shittyness of the trim of the main,and each time the main trimmer politely says "maybe it would look better with a bit of runner on". It usually takes two or sometimes three requests for runner before Charlie quits bitching about sail shape and realizes that in addition to criticizing everybody else his job is the runner. Charlie then tells the trimmer about the theory of aerodynamics and how to optimally trim the main. At one point Jake is on the rail next to the main trimmer and quietly (and politely) says "you know on my boat (identical to the one we're on),we trim the backstay a bit more frequently that today. How about trying that? OK". Sure so the main trimmer gets more aggressive on the backstay and boat speed improves. Nice. Except when Charlie forgets the runners.

In the second race, the skipper asks about boat placement on the run to the leeward mark. We just happen to be going past a steel ball. Charlie proclaims that there is a huge ebb going on and we should go to the shore for relief. "It's a classic ebb situation" he proclaims.

Jake politely says that slack water is in about 15 minutes and the middle is OK, in fact preferred because of the shorter distance to the mark. Charlie maintains we have near bay of Fundy tidal conditions at which point Jake points to the buoy with no wake and says "I disagree" and is politely back in his crew position. Charlie prevails and we sail the extra distance to shore. Net result: 3rd place. 5 seconds out of second and 15 out of first.

After the race I overhear the owner talking to his girlfriend "... yeah, Charlie worked out about the same as I figured, a royal asshole pissing off everybody on the boat..."

The final day of the regatta finds some of the core crew below huffing acetone. Oops. That was a slip. I mean they were cleaning the carbon number one in advance of patching a hole poked the day before. The crew spends about 45 minutes doing the best that they can with the materials available. (I mean if the Mythbusterscould make a boat of that stuff surely they can fix a sail, right?) Charlie comes aboard and rips them a new one before asking what's going on. The crew politely explain the tear and the materials available. Not good enough for Charlie.

He demands to know if the patch was trimmed of square edges (yes), was it thoroughly cleaned (yes again) and then tells the crew that they don't know what they are doing and how on the many Admirals Cup and KWRW boats he has been on he has never seen a repair done like this. Oh well. The buzz from the acetone made it all good.

Now, out on the water. Charlie only has two jobs. Tactics and runner. At the 5 minute gun the main trimmer start's the timer. Charlie goes on a rant wanting to know if anyone has a god damned watch to count down with. The main trimmer points Charlie in the direction of the running display and says "in anticipation of the gun, I made sure we had a running timer for you." Charlie responds with varied criticism of the trim and demands to know how the fore deck is rigged and who is doing mast, etc. Meanwhile the skipper is asking which end of the line is favored and how do the wind conditions look to weather in case the sail repair doesn't work.

BOOM!

The starting gun goes off. The owner asks "what's the course?" Charlie replies "I didn't get it". That is fucking unbelievable. Charlie has one prestart job. Get the fucking course. Instead he has expanded it to be the Siskel and Ebert of the boat critiquing everyone else and telling them that he knows a better way. One of the crew leans over to me with a shit eating grin on his face and says "I can't believe that he just delivered so us all well. This story about the in your face tactician missing the course is going to last for generations. This asshole is so busy telling everybody what a crappy job they are doing and he does a major crash and burn by not getting the course." Another crew says to the owner "Hey skipper, I don't think we should go for the lead today, because we don't know where we're supposed to go after the first weather mark." All of this seems to be going right past Charlie.

One of the crew says "I think we ought to call him"Charlie Mike". "Why?" says another. "You know, 'Charlie Mike', C M. It's short for 'Course Monkey'". [now you know why we decided to call him Charlie] Beautiful! It sticks. After a while of playing follow the leader, we still can't decipher the course from a list of probables. The owner is pissed. Near the half way point of the race, Charlie starts busting the main trimmer about the crappy shape (no runners on yet). The main trimmer says "Hey, instead of telling me how to do my fucking job why don't you put on some runner and tell the skipper what course we're on Course Monkey. Oh yeah, you were telling the foredeck how to do their job when the course flag was up."

So that's how the regatta went.

Anybody else ever sail with Charlie Mike? Any stories?

buster_hymen
07-22-2010, 09:24 PM
charlie sounds vaguely familiar, is he from san ramon?

Caca Cabeza
07-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Not sure where Charlie is from. It turns out no one really wanted to get to know the guy after the first 15 minutes went by.

war dog
07-23-2010, 11:19 AM
He has been seen on a J boat but they may be “Blind”

bowline
07-23-2010, 01:31 PM
I've heard several similar stories about a specific individual, I'll just call him John, that has raced on several different boats - none for very long, like one regatta each. Alienates the entire crew while sucking up to the owner - also known to advertise on local crew listings and has a sailing website.

Sound familiar ?

war dog
07-23-2010, 08:16 PM
I am assuming that -uo are talking about J Navas...............nope not him I would have walked awa- from the boat!!!! If an- of -ou ever get the chance please kick him in the nuts for me and if -ou are reading this JN.............lets get frogg- bitch!!!!

Sorr- about the hijack.....

Charlie Tuna
07-24-2010, 09:36 PM
It wasn't me!

war dog
08-01-2010, 07:55 AM
OHH shit................................he is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!