PDA

View Full Version : 34th AC - San Francisco AC Venue

bowline
09-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Just received word tonight that the meeting with the city and LE went well. Looks like things are on track to host the 34th cup on the SF Bay.

EVK4
09-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Gotta admit, it sounds like a good business deal {disclaimer: I only say this based on headlines}. Fix the pier and make a lot of money off of it for the next 20 or so years.

bowline
09-05-2010, 10:42 AM
LE did state he didn't want money from the city, just the land to support the teams.

I don't have any first hand information, but from what's been disclosed they've already had several encouraging meetings with large potential corporate sponsors - I believe that will play an important part in SF pulling this off.

The three key advantages SF has are driven by sponsorship - guaranteed wind machine, very spectator friendly, and LE's backyard.

Despite the environmental regulations, I think SF has a good chance of pulling this off. With the potential benefits so huge, I don't think anyone wants to be associated with stopping this from happening, which is why we've seen such broad support to date from all groups.

Capo
09-05-2010, 07:59 PM
If its confirmed, thats great. A two day drive or 4 hour flight will be in my future.

bowline
09-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Nothing's confirmed as yet - but it seems to be on the right track at this point to get an acceptable proposal in by the end of the month.

I expect it to be very carefully scrutinized, and I'm sure much speculation will follow in the upcoming months.

In regard to some of the potential objections, I think CA income tax of the teams is a total non issue with respect to the advantages SF has to offer to potential sponsors - which all teams benefit from.

In terms of the alleged financial incentives Valencia and Italy are offering, I think they are moot relative to LE's interests in hosting it here, but we'll see in the upcoming months. Personally I think he's going to look for a fairly high level of assurance that the environmental and regulatory agencies involved will support the event, which they've openly stated to date, and more importantly, will fast track the approval processes involved.

I don't think anyone involved locally wants their fingerprints on "why SF didn't secure the 34th AC" , and all the benefits that come with it.

Kris O
09-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Personally, I think some of the biggest hurdles for the event will be the Sierra Club....They were responsible for shutting down building the YMCA on pier 29 AND the teams finding housing for crew and their families. Crews are used to being housed by the team in close proximity to the base....so think about it...each team is going to need about 100 apartments....The DogPatch,& Hunters Point just went WAY upscale if this goes through....

bowline
09-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Personally, I think some of the biggest hurdles for the event will be the Sierra Club....They were responsible for shutting down building the YMCA on pier 29 AND the teams finding housing for crew and their families. Crews are used to being housed by the team in close proximity to the base....so think about it...each team is going to need about 100 apartments....The DogPatch,& Hunters Point just went WAY upscale if this goes through....

Good point - hasn't the Sierra Club endorsed or agreed to support this event ?

Kris O
09-07-2010, 11:03 PM
no the sierra club only did not put on a full frontal opposition because there was not a request for environmental overides, so they agreed only to let it move forward....It does not mean they wont make it real difficult to build. The whole reason the port is letting the piers fall apart is that its cheaper to let them fall into the bay than deal with the sierra club to rebuild them. The Sierra Club says they are about access but they are really about look don't touch.....thus, look at the water, don't use the water...but maybe I'm biased after 4 years of hearings with them and the city of sf trying to help the ymca to build a new rec center with sailing and kayak access.