PDA

View Full Version : A letter to an anonymous person who helped a couple of Finn masts go missing

Nick Salvador
09-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Some numbskull walked off with two carbon fiber Finn masts that he'll never be able to use.

"I am writing to advise you that two of our Finn masts (ex Finn Gold Cup charter, 2010 production) have been stolen from a secure enclosure at Encinal Yacht Club. This event happened between September 7th September and 11th September. The masts are carbon fiber HIT masts, one is probably still in blue padded mast bag and the serial numbers are 13282 and 13216. "

Here's the deal. The Finn class measures ALL masts prior to each regatta, so anyone showing up with one of these masts is going to be facing criminal prosecution. Whomever took them can't sell them, can't sail with them, and unless he's going to use them to hold up an awning in his backyard, just can't freaking use them. So if you're the guy, and you happen to read this, just take them back and drop them where you found them...or on the lawn at the club...we don't care we just want them back.

BTW, you're not going to be able to re-label them either, because HIT is fully aware of the situation and will refuse to issue new labels. In addition, the bend numbers are recorded, so every FINN sailmaker will also be on the lookout for a sail order with those numbers. It's in YOUR best interest to just return the damn things. Do the right thing.

Buzz Light Beer
09-14-2010, 11:48 AM
If I'm not mistaken, those Finn masts only work on Finns, don't they?

Nick Salvador
09-14-2010, 07:05 PM
You're not mistaken, which is why the "appropriation" of said masts is so goddamn stupid.

familysailor
09-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Think someone took them thinking they could make a few El Toro masts?

Really sucks Nick.
Yours?

Nick Salvador
09-15-2010, 01:54 AM
No amigo, they're not mine. They were, however, misappropriated from my club's dry storage area. So I'm helping to get the word out in the hope that the person or persons responsible will see the light and return them. At this point, every FINN sailor in NA knows about this, so the masts can't be sold, and sure as hell can't be used at any FINN regatta where measurements take place. FINN masts are also pretty distinctive, so it isn't like you're going to stick one on a Wing Dinghy for shits and grins.

doghouse
09-15-2010, 06:18 AM
Fuckin ghey.

Nick Salvador
09-15-2010, 05:22 PM
doghouse, I think you meant to post that over on the other site.

Rumor has it that our two masts are on their way to being safely returned this evening. I'll let you all know when and if it actually happens.

doghouse
09-15-2010, 06:13 PM
doghouse, I think you meant to post that over on the other site.

Rumor has it that our two masts are on their way to being safely returned this evening. I'll let you all know when and if it actually happens.
Nah, I meant it here. I seriously am not ok with theivery. Very happy to hear they are on the way back.

Nick Salvador
09-17-2010, 11:14 PM
We should have the missing masts back shortly. Once we have them in hand, I'll give everyone the rest of the story. What a fucking pathetic mess.

Nick Salvador
09-20-2010, 11:14 AM
The two missing masts were returned to the Encinal YC on Saturday by a "fellow" Finn sailor and occasional poster on SA. He "claims" that he received a call from "another" Finn sailor that there were two Finn masts in Richmond. He hasn't said where in Richmond or who the other Finn sailor was. So, he says that he went to Richmond, rescued the masts and put them in his backyard for safekeeping. Then, upon learning that there were two missing masts from the EYC dry storage yard, he contacted Suntouched to tell them that he had found them. I know that I'm the only Finn sailor that lives in Richmond, and I know the masts weren't at the Gold Cup facility or at the RYC.

Here is what we DO know:

1) The masts were transported from the Gold Cup race location at Marina Bay Yacht Harbor to the Encinal YC dry storage yard by a well known FInn sailor and EYC club member. He's also the North American Devoti rep. Good guy, German accent...you all know him if sail a Finn in CA.

2) The masts were stored alongside the fence next to the swimming pool behind the Finn parking lot (we have a bunch of them at the EYC).

3) The masts disappeared sometime between Sept 7 and 11.

4) The masts were reportedly found back in Richmond at an undetermined location by an individual that we cannot yet name until the police investigation is completed. If you sail a Finn, you all know him too.

5) The masts were returned on the 17th.

Suntouched is going to release a statement lauding this individual for rescuing the missing HIT masts, and that, I guess, will be that. Except for the fact that the members of the EYC know for an absolute fact that the masts were stolen from our dry storage yard. The Alameda PD is continuing to investigate the theft because of the value of the masts ($10K in total) drops it into the Grand Theft realm, which isn't that common for the Alameda PD so they're going to have some fun with it.

Frankly, those of us from the club are pretty disgusted with the whole matter, we're cooperating fully with the police investigation and we're still hoping to see this guy in bracelets.

foreguy
09-20-2010, 11:39 AM
String em up! Sol should be around soon with his boots!

Buzz Light Beer
09-30-2010, 09:10 PM
What ever became of this heinous crime and the perp?

J30 Dell Todd
10-18-2010, 10:48 AM
bump

Nick Salvador
10-18-2010, 01:56 PM
with less than full disclosure about when and where they happened to be located. I guess getting them back is pretty much all that matters.

foreguy
10-18-2010, 02:13 PM
http://funnyhub.com/content_images/4017_2009_free-happy-ending.jpg

solosailor
10-18-2010, 02:57 PM
I guess getting them back is pretty much all that matters.No, it's not all that matters. What is the situation with the Alameda Police? Charges filed? This thief obviously had access to the Encinal Yacht Club dry storage area..... was this person an EYC member? I guess if I knocked off a liquor store for 10k and returned the money everything would be cool? I think not.

Angry Dolphin
10-19-2010, 10:24 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Pgvl4GC_Jhc/Sm2tNU3zOFI/AAAAAAAAAZA/QhEyTCaDeh0/s320/lynch+mob.jpg

Let's get em!

hobot
10-20-2010, 11:52 AM
No, it's not all that matters. What is the situation with the Alameda Police? Charges filed? This thief obviously had access to the Encinal Yacht Club dry storage area..... was this person an EYC member? I guess if I knocked off a liquor store for 10k and returned the money everything would be cool? I think not.

Solo...'dat you?