PDA

View Full Version : Americas Cup in San Francisco: A preview

Photoboy
03-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Some pics from the Moet Cup in 2003, much has been discussed on the A-cups future and whether or not SF will actually be able to pull off an A-cup series here, or if San Diego or Newport another US venue. We'll attempt to keep you abreast of the latest, but in the mean time, how about some wild ass speculation?

Greever
03-22-2010, 09:20 PM
As long as it's held in the USA I am cool.

If they have the next Cup in Europe I will be pissed!

pogen
03-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Hey Greeves glad to see you here -- come out to SF for AC34, you can spectate from my boat.

PD Staff
03-23-2010, 05:52 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/22/technology/oracle_ellison_americas_cup.fortune/

Fortune) -- On Feb. 20, days after winning the 33rd sailing of the America's Cup regatta in Valencia, Spain, BMW Oracle Racing owner Larry Ellison made a formal presentation of the silver Cup at San Francisco's City Hall. Joined onstage by San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, team CEO (and four-time America's Cup winner) Russell Coutts, and skipper Jimmy Spithill, Ellison spoke of his plans for the Cup tournament now that it will be back in the U.S. for the first time in 15 years. He elaborated in far greater detail with Fortune's Adam Lashinsky in an exclusive interview following the public event. An edited transcript follows:

Why was Russell Coutts, perhaps the world's most accomplished professional sailor, a manager rather than a skipper in your victorious pursuit of the America's Cup?

(Coutts) is an extraordinary engineering manager. This is a big operation. It's 150 people. Fifty design engineers. Russell himself is a design engineer. Putting a team of this quality together, the credit goes to Russell.

The first guy I hired was Jimmy (Spithill). Jimmy was offered the job of driving for Alinghi [the Swiss-owned defender of the 2010 America's Cup]. Russell convinced him that he should come with our team even though he knew that the only team that he might not get a chance to drive for was Russell Coutts's team. But Jimmy decided he'd rather be No. 2 behind Russell Coutts than No. 1 at any other team.

As it turned out, Jimmy put in all the hard work and Russell gave him the driving gloves and let him drive the boat, and he did a great job.

This is just like business, isn't it?

What I didn't realize when I went from amateur sailing -- I drove my boat Sayonara to five consecutive world championships; I thought, oh, I must be good at this sailing thing -- and then I turned pro, and I drove in the Louis Vuitton Cup and I'd been sailing in pro match racing for a while -- that there's just a gigantic difference between professional sports and amateur sports.

I found that professional sports resembles Oracle (ORCL, Fortune 500) much more than my experience with Sayonara. In America's Cup sailing we have a large engineering team, recruiting is crucial, planning is crucial, leadership is crucial, the level of effort and the level of commitment that's required to be successful, the focus, it really is a full-time job.

Have you signed contracts with Coutts and Spithill for your defense of the America's Cup?

Well, we haven't signed anybody. But I'm confident. We all get along. I think we all have the same vision for the 34th America's Cup and indeed for the America's Cup in general that I'd be stunned if this team broke up. Not only will we keep Jimmy and keep Russell, our team will be even stronger going into the 34th.

Can you actually make money with an America's Cup team?

That's one of the things that's crucial for the 34th is that we make this a profitable venture for all the teams, not just for the defender or the challenger of record.

We'd make it a more attractive TV sport so we can sell TV contracts. We'll get the budgets under control so someone can come in and campaign for three, four, five million dollars. So the South Africans will come back. The Swedes will come back, not that they can't raise more money, but we'd want someone with a smaller budget to be able to build their boat, put together their team and be competitive. We'd like this to not be a matter of who invests the most money in designing their boat but who sails the best.

But you're the guy with the resources and who has shown the willingness to spend them. So you're willing to make it so that people who spend only $5 million can compete with you?

You bet. If you look at the kind of sailing I've been doing lately, I'm sailing RC 44s. Last year I was on the international circuit, sailing RC 44s. What is that circuit? Every boat is exactly the same. Everyone's got the same boat. Everyone's got the same sails. I love that circuit, and it's all professional.

The guy who won it last year was Jimmy Spithill, driving for one team, and I was second, with Russell as tactician. I was driving Russell's boat. I love that kind of sailing. And I think we'll do very well in an America's Cup where sailing skill is at a premium.

Now, I don't want to turn America's Cup into one-design sailing, which is too much of a break with tradition. There should be some engineering aspects. But the engineering aspects should not be dominant or, as my legal friends say, should not be dispositive: I've got the fastest boat, therefore I win.

I want it to be a combination, where you've got a little bit of an edge with a slightly faster boat. But in the end it's got to come down to how good is your sailing team and how do you sail and how well do you call the wind and how good are your tactics and how well do you trim and how well did you drive.

Won't the size of your team alone make it impossible to keep to $5 million?

No. You wouldn't need 50 design engineers, obviously, if you had smaller boats, and if the design rule wasn't so flexible, if you limited how much of an engineering advantage you'd get. If the boats are smaller they're much cheaper to build. The sails aren't so expensive. The sails on these big boats cost half a million dollars. One sail.

So you're committed to rules that will lower the bar?

Oh yeah. It shouldn't be about money. It should be a little bit about technology and a lot about sailing. And it's got to be a great experience for viewers. It's got to be something kids want to watch. Quite frankly when I'm watching the Olympics I watch downhill racing. My kids watch the snowboarders. Okay. We've got to pay attention to that.

I kind of like monohulls. All my racing experience is on monohulls. But if what the kids want to watch is multihulls because it's more exciting, we'll go multihulls. We've got to make this a great sport from the point of view of the participant, especially the kid who's just getting into the sport, and from the point of view of the viewer on television.

Have you approached the networks yet?

I know Rupert Murdoch, but I'm not going to approach him about Fox. Though they would be great. I know Bog Iger and I'm not going to approach him about ESPN. But that's what we want. We want network coverage. We want ESPN coverage. We think we can make this extremely attractive and comprehensible. We want some 15-year-old watching this thing, saying, "Wow, that's cool. I'd love to do that."

What other marketing ideas do you have?

It's got to be a commercially viable sport. Baseball is. Football is. Tennis is. We've got to attract a fan base. We have to make it interesting. We have to have interesting commentators. When the NFL put in that yellow first down line on the field, it gave the fan a little more insight as to what was going on during the play. We can provide that computer assistance, which is especially needed in sailing.

Have you met people who can do this?

Oh yeah. The guy who did the yellow line is named Stan Honey. I've sailed with him. He lives in the North Bay. He was my navigator in my first-ever trans-Pacific yacht race in the Sayonara.

So we know the people who really understand the computer technology that does that. We think it's a huge opportunity for our sport.

Are you comfortable predicting the next America's Cup winner will not be due to a technological edge?

No. You never know. It's okay to be about clever, so long as it's not about money. In the Australian challenge when John Bertrand came over here [in 1983] and sailed the winged keel, that was not an expensive deal. It was just a clever piece of engineering. So I have no problem with clever, occasionally moving the America's Cup from one place to another. That is the America's Cup.

What I have a problem with are budgets that are so high that most teams can't participate, because we want to have a broad base of teams come in here and compete for the America's Cup and have a reasonable chance of winning.

I also have a problem with technology always being the determining factor as opposed to sailing skill. So maybe once every 10 America's Cups someone comes up with something really innovative and wins because of technology. The other nine it's about who sails better.

So just by the law of probability you're decreasing your chances of winning.

You bet. That's okay. All we care about is if we duly lose that we get a fair chance to win it back next time. That's all we want. We don't want to ever have to go to court again to get a fair set of rules.

PD Staff
03-23-2010, 06:01 AM
Part 2 of interview

Where's the American audience today compared with where it's going to be for the next America's Cup?

We've talked with Louis Vuitton [sponsor of the Louis Vuitton Cup, which in the past has determined the right to challenge for the America's Cup] about sponsoring with the older boats, the Class V boats, a circuit, where we do a race in Hong Kong, New Zealand, Italy, France, in Newport, San Francisco, six or seven races, and getting the existing teams back, with America's Cup-class boats.

It would be like the Premier soccer league in the U.K. with the occasional World Cup. Every fourth year there's the America's Cup. But you have all these teams playing soccer against each other in the intervening years until all of a sudden everything stops for three months and you have this America's Cup.

What about the U.S. audience?

No sport can be successful without good TV coverage. The TV coverage of the America's Cup has been dismal in the United States. We can fix that easily. With a little bit of technology and care and attention I think we can make this incredibly exciting to kids. The sailors watch. But we've got to go beyond that. We've got to get the next generation interested.

Angry Dolphin
03-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Do you think Larry wears a gold lame´ thong when he races?

Greever
03-24-2010, 07:07 AM
Hey Greeves glad to see you here -- come out to SF for AC34, you can spectate from my boat.

That sounds cool! Are they really talking about holding the next Cup in San Francisco?

You have had her for about a year now right? How is that new boat treating you?

heckler
03-24-2010, 07:30 AM
In addition to the electric cattle prod; Coutts has the remote. Not that I care, butt it's interesting this goes undiscussed.

It is also curious that no one has even touched on the fact that the day after becoming COR, Onorato was in Boston with his hand out. That might not be a good sign...

h

PD Staff
03-25-2010, 05:56 PM
http://www.cupinfo.com/en/cayard-possible-new-americas-cup-boats-and-format-10004.php

Paul Cayard Talks About Possible America's Cup 34 Plans
Louis Vuitton Trophy Could use First Four New Cup Yachts in 2012,
Data shared among teams,
Next America's Cup in 2014

March 24, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul Cayard, America's Cup sailor and President of the World Sailing Team Association (WSTA), spoke to a standing-room-only crowd Wednesday night at Ullman Sails in Costa Mesa, CA, talking about his sailing career and his recent past at the Louis Vuitton Trophy Auckland. In particular he provided some details under consideration for the path to the next America’s Cup and the new America’s Cup class design. Here's a sample of what Cayard had to say about the possible future of the America's Cup:

“Larry Ellison is a founding member of the WSTA and believes in the concept. I’ve had some meetings, and what I can say is [BMWOR] see the Louis Vuitton Trophy and the events being an integral part of the next America’s Cup. What that means exactly is yet to be determined, of course, but it might be something like this....

“We might race the Version Five boats for a couple more years, say, through 2011. Then, in looking at bringing a new class of boat online, what could be clever is to design that rule this year and build four identical boats of the new rule and put them on the circuit, to allow the teams to experience these boats before they actually have to design their own, so that there’s some background and some experience before we have to go out and spend, collectively, 50 or 100 million Euros on a fleet of boats.

“The idea would be that all the design information that goes into the research for the rule -- tank-testing, CFD, structural information on the rigs, on the hulls, on everything that goes into those four boats -- would be available to all the teams as sort of a starter kit. And, of course, all the data on those boats.

“Then we would race the 2012 season on those boats, shipping them around, then at the end of 2012 we would freeze the actual rule, from which the teams would build one new boat for the Cup. Those boats would be built in 2013 and come online at the end of 2013, probably for one of the Louis Vuitton events. For the first event of 2014, you bring your own boat and those start to really count for something. The Cup’s probably going to be in 2014, that’s my guess, just because, to do this all prudently, not in a rush and do it well, it’s better to do it well than do it in a rush. That’s my personal feeling but Larry and Russell will make the decisions.”

--Diane Swintal for CupInfo/©2010 CupInfo

Photoboy
03-26-2010, 10:12 AM
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs445.snc3/25528_1210167304402_1535312333_30423939_5565784_n. jpg

Full house at the AC 34 Mixer at the Plant in San Francisco yesterday afternoon, photo ~Kimball Livingston~

Solo
03-26-2010, 12:24 PM

PD Staff
03-26-2010, 12:33 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/03/26/sports/s110954D96.DTL

http://www.ggyc.com/acnews.php

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/88387230500778423490.jpg

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/21733442911305505879.jpg

San Francisco (March 26, 2010) – An agreement has been reached with the
previous America’s Cup Trustee, Société Nautique de Genève, that all
outstanding litigation in the New York courts concerning the recent 33rd match
will be dropped by both sides.
This includes GGYC’s Breach of Fiduciary Duty (“BFD”) claim against SNG,
as well as all other claims over the design and construction of yachts Alinghi 5
and USA.
GGYC’s yacht USA won the 33rd Match on February 14 off Valencia, Spain.
“In place of controversy, we seek consensus. Instead of continuing argument,
we are pleased to have reached agreement,” said GGYC Commodore Marcus
Young.
GGYC’s representatives have started a consultative process with regard to
the venue, timing, format and type of boat for the 34th America’s Cup.
GGYC and the Challenger of Record, Club Nautico di Roma and its sailing
team Mascalzone Latino headed by Vincenzo Onorato, are cooperating
closely in this.
“Good decisions not hasty decisions – this is what the Cup community wants,”
added Russell Coutts, CEO of GGYC’s sailing team BMW ORACLE Racing.
“Our focus is on looking ahead and making the 34th edition of the oldest
trophy in international sports the best America’s Cup yet.”
Discussions will continue over the next six months with the details of the 34th
Cup confirmed during 2010.
“We will do our best to fulfill Larry Ellison’s vision of a competition which
respects the Cup’s unique tradition whilst moving forward with the latest
technology to attract an even wider audience,” commented Coutts.

For further information
Jane Eagleson, +34 620 280 742
jeagleson@bmworacleracing.com
www.ggyc.com

PD Staff
03-29-2010, 08:47 PM
http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Locals-lead-push-to-win-Americas-Cup-venue-89328682.html#ixzz0jVIRexSb

Locals lead push to win America’s Cup venue
By: Katie Worth
Examiner Staff Writer
March 28, 2010

SAN FRANCISCO — While well-heeled sailing aficionados, developers and business leaders are holding mixers at fancy waterfront restaurants to cheerlead an attempt to bring the America’s Cup sailing race to San Francisco, city leaders are continuing talks with billionaire Larry Ellison’s winning team to make that happen.

On Thursday night, about 150 people attended an event at Pier 3’s tony Plant Café Organic intended to rally support for bringing the race to San Francisco Bay. The mixer was spurred by a Facebook campaign that managed to attract 4,000 members to the cause within a few weeks.

“We just want to show [Ellison’s BMW Oracle Racing team] how many people — and what caliber people — are interested in making this happen,” organizer Paige Brooks said.

Earlier that same day, a group of city officials and volunteers from the development world met with leaders of the BMW-Oracle team as part of ongoing discussions about potential venues in San Francisco.

According to waterfront developer Simon Snellgrove, who was at the meeting, Ellison’s sailing syndicate provided some details about what facilities would be needed at a San Francisco venue. Snellgrove has an interest in the project both as a sailing enthusiast and because he sees it as an opportunity for private development on the waterfront.

Ellison’s team indicated that any venue would need about an acre of facilities per challenger in the race, according to Snellgrove. Since the syndicate has not yet made decisions about where the event will be held or what size and type boats will be raced — choices they are entitled to make, being the defending champions of the trophy — no teams have challenged and it’s not clear how many will.

Snellgrove said a working estimate is that perhaps 12 challengers may participate. Those teams would each employ between 150 and 180 people and would likely be practicing on the Bay for about a year prior to the actual races, he said.

City officials have said that four candidate sites in San Francisco could make the cut: Treasure Island, a 13-acre site at Piers 30-32 under the Bay Bridge, Pier 48 just south of AT&T Park, and cargo facility Pier 80 on The City’s southern waterfront.

kworth@sfexaminer.com

We will have more info on the 4 venues a tad leter in the programming, please stay tuned!

PD Staff
03-29-2010, 08:55 PM
“We’re working with the BMW Oracle Racing team to help them evaluate potential alternatives,” he said. To go deeper would be “premature.” In the big picture, however, “Every year the City of San Francisco hosts Fleet Week, and we manage more than a million spectators on the waterfront. We have a history of managing the logistics, and with the America’s Cup the opportunity for a world-class spectator event is unparalleled.”

The Oracle racing team investigated Piers 30 and 32 before the races in Valencia in 2007, and they have the advantage of being close to the heart of the city. Along with the mayor’s office, Oracle is also looking at Pier 48, just south of the baseball park, and Pier 80, much farther from the city center and less desirable because of the length of the tow to the racing area. (Unless we race in the South Bay, which would be handy, but it loses the camera-pleasing backgrounds and the natural amphitheater, so I think that’s a nonstarter.) There also is Treasure Island, the former naval base now in the hands of the city and in need of inspired attention. And—the city of Alameda has its own former navy base with scads of elbow room. Alameda Vice Mayor Doug deHaan showed up for a talk that I gave on the cityfront when I was fresh back from AC 33, and I got the impression they’re open for business.

http://kimballlivingston.com/

bowline
03-31-2010, 07:59 PM
I heard the cup is likely to be scheduled for the late 2014 timeframe, with races inside the bay.

PD Staff
03-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Breaking News- Ellison’s surprise purchase.

In a move not foreseen by anyone, Larry Ellison has purchased a 51% ownership in the San Francisco 49ers and was granted the rights to purchase the nearby former Hunters Point Naval Shipyard for $1.00.

“Warriors Shmorriors, I want a winner” was quoted in a local east bay blog writers journal

We caught up with AC34SF (Acquire Candlestick SF) project manager, Fumuriours J Bandersnatch as he was exiting a meeting with Top SF officials and 49er brass to get the lowdown.

PD: Can you tell us more about the project?

FB: It’s still early, but with a controlling interest in the 49ers, plans for a new stadium and a promise to keep them in SF, we are happy to join up with a organization with a proud history and 4 World Championships!

PD: Um , that's 5 World Championships, isn’t it?

FB : 2 were against the Bengals and we can’t really underestimate the futility there, so we’re keeping the number low

PD: So with the purchase of Hunters Point, does that mean the stadium will move there or ?

FB: Actually the AC Village and a new bayside business park will live there

PD: The Village? Mr E had indicated he would prefer to raise sails and sail to the race course, not endure any lengthy tows…..

FB: Exactly, were moving the CUP to Candlestick Gulch

PD: What? The depth, the lack of scenery, the lack of place to view it from? Were these not concerns?

FB: ONE question at a time, please

PD: Okay, the depth, the water is not deep enough for any vessel with any draft, how would you tackle that?

FB: Dredging, permits are already in hand and we can get the entire area up to 20’ MLLW by the 2014 date

PD: Okay, but that’s expensive, especially if you have to dispose of the mud, isn’t it?

FB: Not a problem, we’ll use most of it to fill in the old stadium, which will make a fine foundation for the new high rise complex, the rest we’ll use to raise the parking area 5-6 feet, to combat any rise in sea level, a problem the old park has suffered with since its inception.

PD: So tell us about the new stadium proposal

FB: Okay, 1st it will live on the SE corner of existing lot, overlooking the Bay, it will have a removable dome and an operable section to overlook the bay, people will actually be able to watch the Cup races from the comfort of their seats and on the many jumbotrons located throughout.

PD: Hmmm, Okay, but isn’t that stretch of the Bay a little less sexy than the Central Bay? Wasn’t the idea to sell the Cup here part of the Bays natural amphitheatre setting and beauty?

FB: What is reality and what is perceived reality? With CGI we can project any backdrop onto the racecourse we want. Ideally viewers watching in stadium, on line or on the TV can choose the backdrop of their desire, Milan, Sydney, Saul Paolo, whatever, the racing will be live but the background will be up to the viewer

PD: That sounds expensive, how does that all get paid for?

FB: Were working on that, but PSL’s for the stadiums season ticket holders will take care of some of the sting, PPV on TV with escalating price lists, and purchase of event viewing through broadband. People pay more for 3d at the movies Don’t they? And yes this Cup will be available in 3D. Licensed users of a certain business software shall be provided with deep discounts for all mediums.

PD: Wow that sound great, and what about the football team?

FB: Part of the deal is to keep them in the city, but we do retain the right to change them from the SF 49ers to the SF Oracles, and have them play exhibition games at certain company functions

PD: Thank you for the insight, and good luck!

Happy Uno d'Abril!

PD Staff
04-01-2010, 02:44 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304370304575151911874516980.html?m od=WSJ_myyahoo_module

San Francisco hasn't yet presented a plan for hosting the America's Cup, unlike other cities vying to be the next site of sailing's famed event. But people close to the decision-making process say the City by the Bay's effort is in good shape.

"The stars have aligned to make it happen," says Marcus Young, commodore of the Golden Gate Yacht Club, home base of BMW Oracle Racing, the sailing team headed by Oracle Corp. Chief Executive Larry Ellison. Mr. Ellison's team in February won the most recent edition of the America's Cup in Spain—and with it the right to choose where to hold the next Cup.

In the past several weeks, representatives from BMW Oracle Racing, the yacht club and the city have been working together to bring the regatta to San Francisco, say people close to the talks. San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom met privately with Mr. Ellison soon after his team won the Cup, says Michael Cohen, director of San Francisco's Office of Economic and Workforce Development and the city's point person on the Cup effort.

Over the last month, representatives from the city and the team also have held several meetings and toured potential sites together. They have had numerous conference calls and exchanged other information in an effort to bring the Cup here, says Mr. Cohen. "The discussions are very detailed," adds Mr. Young.

View Full Image

Reuters
.Mr. Ellison, through a team spokeswoman, declined to comment. The 65-year-old billionaire has said publicly that he wants to hold the next Cup in San Francisco. The bay is "a wonderful natural amphitheater for sailing," he said in an interview in February.

Tim Ehman, a team spokesman, says that San Francisco is at the "top of the list" of potential race sites, but that "I would not say that it is a shoo-in."

The mayor's office referred questions to Mr. Cohen. While a formal decision isn't likely until Thanksgiving, Mr. Cohen says, "I believe our chances are good."

The America's Cup is held every few years and can be worth billions of dollars to the host city. Teams spend years training, often locally, for the regatta, which can bring tourists and spawn sailing-related businesses. The America's Cup itself is usually a series of races spanning a week or two, and preliminary races to determine which two teams will compete for the Cup can last a lot longer. The particulars of the regatta, including how frequently it is held, the style of boats used, and the number of races a team must win, vary with each edition.

San Francisco Bay is an unlikely destination for the Cup, which is usually held in the open ocean. Apart from being in a busy commercial-shipping channel, San Francisco lacks the appropriate harbor facilities to house the boats. In Valencia, Spain, where the previous two editions of the regatta were held, the government dug and developed a new harbor for the teams and offered them tax incentives.

San Francisco has mostly kept quiet about its bid for the Cup. In contrast, Gov. Donald Carcieri of Rhode Island in February appointed a committee tasked with bringing the America's Cup to Newport, where the regatta was held regularly until 1983. That committee has met a dozen times and has lined up land for the teams to use, says Keith Stokes, executive director of the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation and a member of the committee.

San Diego, another former host city, also is publicizing its bid. Troy Sears, who is a member of the committee trying to bring the America's Cup there, says that waterfront sites for the teams are already available.

But all the work by the contending cities might be for naught, since the final selection rests in the hands of the event's defending champion. Mr. Ellison is a longtime Bay Area resident, and the Golden Gate Yacht Club is based here. BMW Oracle Racing is expected to announce its timetable for selecting a venue within the next few weeks. San Francisco officials are conducting due diligence on potential locations for the regatta, including Piers 30 and 32, says Mr. Cohen. Currently those piers, in the shadow of the Bay Bridge, are in disrepair.

Hosting the Cup could prove a financial windfall for San Francisco. Tom Cannon, a professor of strategic development at Britain's University of Liverpool who performed an economic analysis in 2007 of what hosting the Cup would mean for San Francisco, estimates that the event ultimately could contribute up to $6 billion to San Francisco's economy through improved infrastructure, tourism and new businesses that would be created by the Cup.

Mr. Ellison has told city officials that he would rely on the city to contribute only access to waterfront land; he doesn't expect taxpayers to cover the costs of holding the race in San Francisco, according to Mr. Ehman.

Mr. Cohen, the city official, says San Francisco's own economic analysis study isn't complete. He adds that the city "has a track record of getting done projects that have transformational potential," citing AT&T Park and the Ferry Building as examples.

The various Bay Area agencies that would have to expedite permits and take other steps to make sure the Cup can be held in San Francisco are aware of the stakes and are committed to making it happen, says Ann Lazarus, executive director of Fort Mason Center event venue and a San Francisco Port commissioner. "Let's not blow this one," she says.

Photoboy
04-12-2010, 01:04 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/12/MN9C1CS5V5.DTL

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2010/04/11/ba-treasureislan_SFCG1270962706.jpg

While it seems a natural fit on many levels, the long term plans don't seem fit with development
goals...Well be reviewing the current best bets later this week to give you a little deeper perspective.

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/86706139596361704062.jpg

http://www.sftreasureisland.org/index.aspx?page=26

Photoboy
04-15-2010, 04:54 PM
America’s Cup Village Venue Possibilities
©2010 Pressure-drop.us

The petite yet suddenly powerful Golden Gate Yacht Club, just yards away from the StFYC

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/09018473001525612351.jpg

With a decision originally slated for the Summer on if San Francisco will indeed host the 34th edition of the Cup and any challenges prior, we’’ take a closer examination or the possible candidates and their pluses and minuses.

Weeks after the Cup was secured in Valencia, wild-ass speculation ensued with finally a SF Chronicle report indicated that the Mayor’s office had been in talks with BMW Oracle and the list of candidate were quoted as follows: “The city is looking at various locations, including Treasure Island, Fort Mason, Pier 17, on the northern Embarcadero, Piers 30-32, near the Bay Bridge, Pier 48, which is just south of AT&T Park, and Pier 80, a container ship pier at the foot of Cesar Chavez Street."

Out of those 6 choices, 3 have been virtually eliminated, Fort Mason, Pier 17 and Treasure Island:

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/48671472563429836131.jpg
*Fort Mason: Too much there already, it's owned by the GGNRA, with currents and wind that arenot too user friendly. It’s buildings house plenty of existing offices, halls and restaurants, including the GGNR offices themselves. No unfettered dock space to haul out vessels. While in close proximity to the Golden Gate Yacht Club and very close to proposed sailing areas, it really was a nonstarter from the beginning

*Pier 17: (No Photo) Located just a few block northwest of the Ferry Building on the Embarcadero, while geographically ideal, a contract was recently signed by the Exploratorium to lease the location, remodel and move the science/educational museum there.

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/86706139596361704062.jpg
*Treasure Island: A just released set of plans for the manmade island ½ way between SF and Oakland indicates that the city and developers have already laid plans for the islands future, and none of it included a Cup Village. Access is terrible, with no real mass transit. Plans are already underway for new marina, and the cove is filled with lead from years of artillery practice, which could require bundles in clean up to be invested and a lengthy EIR. Larry Ellison’s company Oracle holds its annual company celebration on the island every fall in the approximate location where a village could have lived. If only they Cup had been won a couple years earlier.

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/88890039564247951314.jpg
http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/51421498732185453450.jpg
Piers 30-32: Located just south of the San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge on the Embarcadero, It’s still in usable condition, although some structural work would be needed. Possible to squeeze a village there, however it lacks any utilities and the city has just spent bundles revamping the Embarcadero and may be inclined not to to tear up that major thoroughfare again. The citys rejuvination estimates are in the $50 million price range. Its also is a money maker for city as is, utilized as a parking area and is very popular during events held at nearby AT&T Park

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/02582190532071233866.jpg

Pier 48 is right across McCovey Cove from AT&T Park. It’s too small and would adversely affect the Giants, especially parking wise. It also is currently housing a tractor tug operation.

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/57477351573887799336.jpg
http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/94820203150100711013.jpg
Pier 80 is further south, approximately 2 miles from AT& T Park. It is in a fringe industrial neighborhood but has the most real estate and warmest weather...It's piers are in still decent shape. The area just north has enjoyed a massive facelift and is becoming the biotech capitol of the Bay Area. A light rail has already been installed that runs right past it. The area is already on the books as part of the continued economic redevelopment moving slowly south along the city’s eastern flanks. Although it does a minimal amount of freight cargo, it's insignificant and could be routed elsewhere

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/30492183000766838945.jpg
http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/50000518522802283201.jpg
Also still in contention is the City of Alameda; the city council wasted little time in suiting BMW Oracle with its willingness to provide a venue. The former Naval Air Station offers near perfect existing infrastructure and a deep water port, almost tailor made for a village. It’s West End location is about as close as you can get to San Francisco without getting wet. It’s major drawback is it's not San Francisco and is off the beaten path. It lacks the cosmopolitan panache that most of the other venues can offer, and would most certainly require a ferry service route to become feasible

While there has been direct mention from Mr Ellison himself that he desires a location without a substantial tow to the course, most of these south of the Bay Bridge locations would not meet the criteria for a central bay racing course, the South Bay has not been ruled out as a contender. We’ll discuss those options at a later date.

Photoboy
04-16-2010, 10:35 AM
http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2010/04/13/ba-SPTS_STADIA_P_421960662.jpg

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2010/04/13/ba-BALLPARK_TOP__422093681.jpg

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/11/MN731CSA8F.DTL

A slight deviation, but last Sundays SF Chronicle illustrates beautifully the economic redevelopment that has happened recently in the
China Basin are of San Francisco. 15 years ago and eyesore, today a crown jewel...

PD Staff
04-16-2010, 08:21 PM
A secret spy from the SF Bay Area sends us this!

In case any of you were napping under a large cedar log, BMW Oracle Racing won the 33rd America's Cup in Valencia on February 14, 2010. Some refer to it as the Valentine's Day Massacre. Since that time, the cup has been on a "Victory Tour" with its most recent stop in Anacortes to honor the hundreds of folks and hundreds of thousands of hours that went into building the great Dogzilla at Core and Janicki. In fact in celebration, Core built a new base/stand for the cup out of carbon fiber - complete with inscription plaque.

The cup arrived for a Victory Stop tour at the Stricly Sail Pacific boat show at Jack London Square in Oakland, CA on April 15th, 2010. Scott's Seafood Restaurant's outdoor facility served as the pavilion for the event. The Cup was on display from noon on Thursday until the event wrapped up at 7PM. Security quite present, but subtle. As usual BMWO put on a great display and event, and most pointedly, our hometown hero John Kostecki got the serious accolades. This tour has been going on a for over a month and from venue to venue it's pretty much the same deal, but as each day ticks by more and more info is revealed about what will happen for AC34. Enjoy. Lot's of energy to bring the cup to SF... Let's hope that happens. And enjoy Kostecki's abashed view of the starts.

Here's the whole one hour shebang...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PKKX-TcKn8qLW_Rafd-41g

foreguy
04-26-2010, 01:07 PM
http://americascupalameda.com/

Alameda steps up it's game!

PD Staff
04-27-2010, 09:45 AM
http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/11833703687549991418.jpg

Richard Gladwell, Sail-World.com

An announcement will be made in Rome, next week on arrangements for the 34th America's Cup. In a brief joint statement the Challenger, Club Nautico de Roma (ITA) and the Defender, Golden Gate Yacht Club (USA) advised that the Press Conference would be held on 6 May 2010.

The venue for the Press Conference was not named. The event will be live streamed on the internet.

Indications are that the 34th America's Cup will be staged in San Francisco, probably in monohulls sometime in 2014.

Currently there is only one Challenger for the trophy which was won by Golden Gate Yacht Club in February 2010, after an acrimonious legal saga spanning over two years and culminating in a decisive win for Larry Ellison's BMW Oracle Racing, sailing the wingsailed USA-17.

Since that time the Defender has been committed to a process of consultation with the prospective Challengers. Nothing concrete has been publicly revealed of that process, or the state of progress, which has been likened to watching the progress of a bus in a traffic jam.

The Notice of Challenge for the 34th America's Cup has not been publicly released, however it is expected that the next America's Cup will be conducted under the Mutual Consent provisions of the 19th century Deed of Gift, which means that anything that is contained in the Notice of Challenge can be altered by the Challenger and Defender, provided both agree.

While a formal protocol is not expected to be announced on 6 May, the basic parameters of the Match, prescribed by the Deed of Gift, being the dates, type and size of yacht and preferred venue are expected to be revealed.

The window under which entries will be accepted and timeframes for entry is also expected to be announced. This period could be open for a year or two. The objective of this phase has previously been to identify potential participants and then embrace those clubs into a process to determine the conditions under which the Challenger Selection Series and Defence will be conducted.

For the six months or so, that Alinghi conducted the multi challenger and mutual consent process during the 33rd America's Cup, up to 20 clubs were involved and several different sizes of yacht were contemplated - all to be designed to a 'box rule' outlining basic dimensions into which the yacht must 'fit' as opposed to a strict design rule as used for the America's Cups from 1992 to 2007.

Full Article
http://www.sail-world.com/USA/Americas-Cup:-Announcement-in-Rome-next-week/68893

PD Staff
04-30-2010, 03:49 PM
http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/30492183000766838945.jpg

Alameda Sun Article (http://alamedasun.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6902&Itemid=10)

Next month, major decisions regarding the future of the next America's Cup race should be settled. Though the location of the future race is unlikely to be revealed, the cities of Alameda and San Francisco hope the decisions will help their efforts to secure the sailing challenge for the Bay Area.

In 1851, the U.S. schooner America defeated 15 British boats in a race around the Isle of Wright. The race was called the 100 Guinea Cup. This was a great victory for the United States, as Britain had previously dominated the sailing community. After the race, a trophy was commissioned to celebrate the U.S. boat's victory. After its creation, the trophy spent six years traveling the U.S. It was eventually donated to the boat's headquarters, the New York Yacht Club. As a condition of receiving the trophy, the yacht club had to establish a regular sailing race between friendly countries. The winner of each race would receive the donated award. The America's Cup was thus established.

In addition to receiving the trophy, the winner of each Cup gets to decide where the next race will be located. Oracle CEO Larry Ellison's BMW Oracle team, sponsored by the Golden Gate Yacht Club, won the last race. As his team is stationed in San Francisco, Mayor Gavin Newsom has been directly appealing to Ellison to hold the Cup at his home site.

According to Kyri McClellan of the Office of Economic and Workforce Development for the city of San Francisco, "We have been engaged in a due diligence process with the BMW Oracle racing team." As a part of San Francisco's effort, it has been doing evaluations of city structures to see if any of them might be useful for the tournament. San Francisco asked a local company to do a regional analysis of the economic impact that the America's Cup could have on the Bay Area. The city government has also been appealing to many local organizations for support.

Besides its internal work, San Francisco's government has been working with the city of Alameda. San Francisco hopes to use Alameda Point and other sailing locations on the Island as places to station Cup challengers. Alameda officials are excited about the possibility of their city's involvement with the America's Cup. McClellan said of Alameda's involvement, "We're greatful for their expression of interest and support."

In March, Mayor Beverly Johnson, Interim City Manager Ann Marie Gallant, and some city council members sent a letter to Ellison explaining why Alameda could greatly benefit the next race. The authors of the letter state that, "Alameda supports San Francisco's efforts to secure the next competition and would welcome the opportunity to provide residential, warehouse and docking facilities to the sailing syndicates that will visit San Francisco to participate in the next America's Cup."

The letter also highlighted Alameda's expansive list of maritime companies, its six piers and yacht clubs, as well as Alameda's Point's usefulness for possible contenders. Alameda Point's warehouses could house boats in need of repair and its historic naval homes could be places for sailors to stay. "I think it is a very, very feasible thing to do. It's a great fit and we have underutilized facilities." said Councilman Doug DeHaan. "We are also subservient to San Francisco."

Councilwoman Lena Tam also expressed support over San Francisco's efforts to bringing the sailing challenge to its shores. She told the Sun, "The city of Alameda would benefit from bringing America's Cup to the San Francisco Bay Area — primarily the yacht clubs and the maritime businesses along the Estuary. I am very supportive of bringing this visibility to the region and promote Alameda as the jewel on San Francisco Bay."

Last week, Russell Coutts, CEO of the BMW-Oracle sailing team, told the international news organization AFP that he expects major announcements regarding the race will be made in May. He told AFP, "We have had several consultations for the 34th edition (of the America's Cup), namely over the design of the boats and we are very close to making a public announcement over the Cup." The location of the next race is unlikely to be announced, but San Francisco's Office of Economic and Workforce Development believes that the rules for deciding the location will be determined.

For more information, see www.amaericascupalameda.com (http://www.amaericascupalameda.com)

Written by Sam Felsing Alameda Sun Published: Friday, 30 April 2010

K38Bob
05-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Interesting comment on Russell Coutts weekend interview on multi vs mono for AC on the above site. Direct link here
http://americascupalameda.com/interview-with-russell-coutts-sheds-light-mono-versus-multi

What do you think?

Estimating Prophet
05-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Somebody has been doing their homework!

PD Staff
05-04-2010, 01:47 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/snnrl5.jpg

Pier 30-32 after the reconstruction?

PD Staff
05-05-2010, 10:43 AM
http://americascupalameda.com/news/michael-cohen-podcast

The latest out of SF City Hall, which seems to have a bit of a circus atmosphere of late!

PD Staff
05-05-2010, 06:18 PM
America's Cup Press Conference Preview: What to Look For
Specifics on the 34th America's Cup have been scarce to date. The first press conference is scheduled for Thursday, from Rome. We should get some information, but not all of it. Here are a few things to look for.

May 4, 2010
By Stuart Streuli
Sailing World Magazine

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/96262178164926696223.jpg

Should we be concerned that the first press conference for the 34th America's Cup—potentially the first America's Cup to be held in American waters in two decades—is to take place in Rome, Italy, on Thursday, May 6? And, no less, in Rome at noon, aka 6 a.m. on the East Coast and 3 a.m. in the Cup's new hometown of San Francisco. Now that's a fine how-do-you-do for all the general interest media from the Bay Area. (Do you stay up late, or get up early? Or do you skip it altogether?)

I want to say no, that it's merely a sign of a new era of cooperation between the defender, the challenger of record, and the predominantly European syndicates that are likely to compete for the 34th Cup. Or a magnanimous gesture on the part of the defender. Or maybe that a press conference in San Francisco wasn't logistically a fit in the middle of a busy European big-boat schedule—Russell Coutts and Larry Ellison wrapped up a RC 44 regatta on Tuesday. But I can't shake the feeling that if you're a fan of seeing the America's Cup back on American waters—as I am—this isn't a good start

So the first thing I'll be looking for is any hints that Larry Ellison's stated desire to host the regatta in the United States, specifically San Francisco, has ebbed. Ellison isn't expected to be at the press conference, Russell Coutts will be there representing BMW Oracle Racing, with the challenger of record, Mascalzone Latino Audi Team and the Club Nautico di Roma, represented by syndicate founder Vincenzo Onorato. It will be interesting to see how Coutts responds to questions regarding the location of the regatta. At one of the final press conferences in Valencia, not long after Ellison stated his desire to host the Cup in San Francisco, it was Coutts who hedged slightly by stating they would look for the best venue, regardless of nationality.

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/12417607144999244981.jpg

Here are few other things to watch for, BTW, if you're not adverse to getting up early, you can catch it live at www.americascup.com

In case your interested here are links for exclusive Podcasts with principles from the three U.S. cities bidding for the America's Cup, Keith Stokes, of Newport, R.I.; Troy Sears of San Diego; and Michael Cohen of San Francisco.

• The timing of the regatta is something that I wouldn't be surprised to hear nailed down in Rome. I don't think we'll get as specific as which month, but we should know whether it's the summer of 2013 or 2014.

• The role of the Louis Vuitton Trophy series and World Sailing Teams Association. The expectation is that the WSTA and LVT will become what the ACTS were to the 32nd America's Cup, with possibly the LVT being used to thin the herd a bit in advance of the final summer leading up to the America's Cup.

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/36404428647730259022.jpg

• The boats for the LVT. The word on the street is that once the rule is finalized, Louis Vuitton/BMW Oracle Racing/the challengers will finance four identical boats to the rule. These will be used for the LVT events and the data will be shared with all the teams. This could potentially be a boon to smaller teams, allowing them to build a more competitive boat right off the boat. Plus it'll make the LVT events that much better. Let's hope this comes to fruition.

• If this is the case, the number of teams that will continue into that final summer—will it be 2 defenders and 6 challengers, 8 challengers, 4 challengers, etc.—will provide some clues as to what BMW Oracle Racing expects from the host city. The fewer the challengers, the more likely we'll see this competition in San Francisco. Despite what Michael Cohen told me in today's podcast (LINK HERE) about their supreme confidence in running big maritime events, I can't see San Francisco running a proper elimination with a dozen or more teams. That required two circles in Valencia, running full time for three months. It will be hard enough to get one circle into San Francisco Bay and the time frame is equally as short, if not more so.

Courtesy BMW Oracle Racing
With BMW Oracle Racing's big tri looming in the background, Vincenzo Onorato (far right) signs the agreement to be the challenger of record for the 34th America's Cup.
• Cost-management measures will play a role in this America's Cup. The real nut is how to balance a low budget operation—unlimited two-boat testing is the most obvious line item to be eliminated or curtailed—and still allow the defender the opportunity to properly prepare for the Cup defense. Alinghi's solution was to limit each team to one boat—requiring only one crew, a big cost savings—and then allow the defender to race in the challenger selection series. It was a flawed arrangement; particularly Alinghi's ability to potentially influence the CSS results. However, it's a thorny question and I can't say anyone else has come up with a better solution. BMW Oracle Racing has said it will not participate in the challenger selection series. Unless another strong American team, or two, pops up to provide BMW Oracle Racing with some competition via a defender trials, the defender will have to allow for some two-boat testing. Even with another team, one or two defense syndicates will be at a disadvantage compared to the survivor of the CSS involving a dozen challengers or more. Coutts and company could propose a limited two-boat testing schedule, which could save a lot of money, but not nearly as much as limiting each team to one boat. It's a difficult question and will be the biggest test of Ellison's claim that this America's Cup will feature a level playing field for all.

• Speaking of that level playing field? If the challenger elimination series involves the LVT events, but the finals are held in San Fran the defense teams will be at an advantage being able to design boats specifically for the Bay's strong winds while the challengers will need a more all purpose design to ensure they make the final eliminations. Boats can be stretched, however, the America's Cup has proven that an all-around boat has trouble beating a one-trick pony in its favored conditions.

• Speaking of that level playing field, part II? Who will run the regattas? The team committed to establishing a separate entity to run the regattas. This is a great idea in theory, but as we saw with Alinghi's America's Cup Management, it's a challenge in practice. How will the BMW Oracle Racing set up the governing body to ensure the event is as fair as possible.

• Any changes to the Deed of Gift? This is one I'd like to see, but don't think it's going to happen. While it's easy to assume that all future defender-challenger of record partnerships will be friendly and productive, it's a mistake. At some point, we'll have another nasty deed of gift battle. So, let's at least streamline the process. Update the box for the boats, add an arbitration panel staffed by representatives from the last five defenders of the Cup, change the regatta schedule and course description, and eliminate the hemisphere date restrictions, among other improvements. In short, make the document one that works fluidly in today's litigious society so that if the two teams decide they can't get along and it comes to a Deed of Gift match we spend more time on the water and no time in the New York State Supreme Court. This could be an outstanding legacy for Ellison and Coutts. But I'm not holding my breath. I asked Coutts about it in February and he didn't seem to share my opinion that the New York State Court system needs to be mostly removed from adjudicating America's Cup disputes.

• Finally, I'm interested to see the body language between Coutts and Onorato. They are old friends and go back quite a ways. This can be a good thing for the America's Cup, especially since Alinghi and BMW Oracle Racing had such an acrimonious relationship and that caused so many headaches. But, there's also a potential for Onorato to not fulfill his obligation at the COR, which is to get the best possible set up for the challengers, to ensure the defender doesn't take advantage of its power. Yes, BMW Oracle Racing has committed to a "level playing field," but if anything that's more worrisome. The America's Cup isn't about a level playing field. it never has been and never should be. There are advantages to being a defender, and advantages to being a challenger. Ideally they balance out to some extent. But it's never perfectly level for all competitors. That's part of its charm.

http://www.sailingworld.com/article (http://www.sailingworld.com/article.jsp?ID=1000082724&cmpid=enews050510)

PD Staff
05-06-2010, 07:23 AM
http://www.americascup.com/videos/

Highlights from Sail-World.com website:

The oldest trophy in international sport is expected to be re-energised by unprecedented collaboration between the Defender and the Challengers, an assembly of dignitaries and media were told today at the first media conference staged for the 34th America's Cup, in Rome.

The group was addressed by Russell Coutts, of the Defender Golden Gate Yacht Club and BMW Oracle Racing and Vicenzo Onorato of the Challenger Club Nautico di Roma, and Mascalzone Latino

Speaking in the Sala Exedra in Rome’s Musei Capitolini, surrounded by some of Rome’s most precious treasures, Russell Coutts and Vincenzo Onorato mapped out the future of the 34th America’s Cup.

The press conference webcast was streamed live around the world.

The keypoints from the session were:

• New, fair rules and independent professional management will give an equal
opportunity to all teams

• A new class of fast, exciting boats created in conjunction with all teams

• The 159 year old competition made irresistible to commercial partners with regular
racing in multiple venues under professional, neutral race management

• Transformed television and online coverage will place race fans right at the heart of
the action, wherever they are in the world

Discussion and debate; consultation and collaboration were the themes of the Press Conference

“Dictate has been replaced by discussion, confrontation by consultation,” said Coutts, four
time winner of the iconic competition.

“Our minds and our ears are open. We are receptive to ideas.”

The opportunity to shape the rules and the design of the new boat has been offered to potential teams.

The management of the on-the-water racing will be controlled by an independent, neutral and professional authority, not the Defender.

New Protocol rules.

Yesterday teams received the Protocol used in the 32nd America’s Cup and were asked:

“What would you change to make the competition better?”

This document was negotiated by the Golden Gate Yacht Club and produced the successful 2007 America’s Cup. Feedback from the teams will be used to shape a new Protocol for the 34th Match.

The wide-ranging reforms would not have been possible without close co-operation with the other teams – who will be the Defender’s rivals when racing gets underway.

In particular Coutts noted the unprecedented collaboration between the Challenger of Record and Defender: “The task would have been impossible without working in partnership with Vincenzo Onorato.”

Onorato was given the honour of revealing the key decision date targets on behalf of the entire America’s Cup community.

Key dates announced

• Protocol for the 34th America’s Cup will be issued by 31st August
• Design rule released by 30th September
• Notice of Race & Sailing Instructions published by 31st December
• Venue confirmed by 31st December
• Challenge Period open from October 1st – 31st January 2011

New thinking on television

A bow-to-stern re-think of the entire television and media output is already underway. Not only will fans be able to turn-on and tune-in, anytime, on any platform, but they will be made to feel as if they are on-board themselves, right at the heart of the action, alongside the best sailors in the world.

New boat- faster sailing & thrilling racing

The new design rule will be a critical element of building a spectacular event. Renowned but neutral designers - Bruce Nelson and Peter Melvin - have created two different concepts – a multihull and a monohull.

Teams will sit down this month and discuss which concept to adopt and begin the process to create a design rule.

The requirements of the new America’s Cup Class rule are:
• It should produce dynamic and close racing
• It should use advanced, efficient and cost-effective technologies
• It should be distinctive and epitomize the pinnacle of the sport
• It should be able to race in any venue in winds from 5-35 knots

The ability to race in all venues and in most wind strengths is vital to make race scheduling reliable for fans and broadcasters.

“Delays kill interest. Even the hard-core fan doesn’t like having to wait for enough wind to race,” said Coutts.

Venue and Year-host cities evaluated

2013 and 2014 were named as the most likely dates for the next Cup.

Sufficient time is needed to evaluate venues and create impressive, efficient infrastructure
for the Cup Village.

Coutts confirmed that American sites were not the only ones under consideration. But he noted: “Every candidate city knows that a very strong case has already been put forward by San Francisco.”

Cities in the USA and Europe are under consideration.

Highly experienced specialists have been engaged to manage the evaluation process.

Regular racing in multiple locations

Host cities are also being sought for a series of regular racing for Cup teams. This racing will be integrated into the America’s Cup, in a plan developed in conjunction with the World Sailing Teams Association.

Changes welcomed by Cup community

Paul Cayard, six-time America’s Cup competitor and representing not just Sweden’s Team Artemis but the World Sailing Teams Association, commented on the reform package:

“We believe that the WSTA and its Louis Vuitton Trophy events are exactly the type of activity that needs to be incorporated into the big picture of the America’s Cup.

“With its global venues in important markets, regular calendar of events, tight racing in America’s Cup class boats, equal representation for each team, these events represent great commercial value that the teams can pass along to their sponsors.”

Challenger trials for the challengers & litigation ended

Coutts confirmed that the Defender will not participate in the Challenger trials as the previous Defender had done. And that all litigation from the contentious 33rd America’s Cup was over because of a settlement signed last month with the Swiss.

“That episode is history. Our focus is the future,” Coutts said.

PD Staff
05-06-2010, 10:31 PM
There were no bombshells in the America’s Cup 34 press conference held today in Rome’s Musei Capitolini, but the hour-long session had its moments. Most of all it got me to thinking how long it’s taken for a familiar idea to take root. That being, to normalize Cup racing, give it a structure, and establish a marketable schedule for an event that long ago outgrew the 19th century vision of a yacht club somewhere challenging another yacht club for a trophy.

Not everyone agrees that independent management should be the future of America’s Cup, or that it should be “normalized” according to the prescriptions I heard today. But this approach makes sense to me. We’ll still have yacht clubs, and challenges, but no yacht club is big enough to manage what the America’s Cup has become, no amount of talking and wishing has produced another sailing event to rival the America’s Cup, and our sport deserves something that works. This is it.

Full Article:

Kimball's Blue Planet Times (http://kimballlivingston.com/?p=2995)

PD Staff
05-06-2010, 10:39 PM
The great strength of Larry Ellison in this Brave New America's Cup World is how he operates as a benign dictator - because that is the role he must adopt if this deal is to work. Currently the consultation and collaboration game is being played. A game that Ellison made it clear that he would playing the nano-second he put his hands around the America's Cup.

Ellison also very cleverly leaves Russell Coutts to front the Defence operation, always leaving room for deference to Ellison and scope for a change in approach if that is what is required - without anyone really losing face.

While some would hope that an America's Cup can be run by a committee of competitors, the problem is that the objectives of the game soon become lost in a sea of consensus. Ellison has the financial clout and power as leader of the Defending team in the Cup to keep the game on track. And that he must do.

Giving the power of the first move to the Challengers is a very cunning ploy. It gives Ellison and his Defence and Event team the ability to pick the eyes out of the ideas put forward by the Challengers, and steer the game in a direction with which all are comfortable. For all the talk of consensus, the Defender still has half the bag of America's Cup marbles, the Challengers get to play with the other half. What is being talked of now is a game of mutually acceptable parameters - to be finalised inside six months.

Full Article

Gladwells Take (http://www.sail-world.com/USA/Gladwells-Line:-34-Americas-Cup---All-done-by-Christmas?/69254)

PD Staff
05-12-2010, 09:05 AM
The Mission Bay / China Basin Redevelopment proposal which now site before the City of SF

At May 12, 2009 Port Commission meeting the Commission approved the award of the SWL 337 development opportunity to Seawall Lot 337 Associates, LLC and authorized exclusive negotiations for a mixed-use development project at SWL 337 and Pier 48.

http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/port/port_commission/Volume%201%20Part%204.pdf

No mention of A Cup Village, but then again BMW Oracle had not claimed the Auld Mug yet. The whole
Mission Bay redevolpment does look good for Pier 80 though.

PIER 48

APPENDIX J - PHASED LAND USE & DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM FORM
PHASE Phase 1 Phase 2 LAND USE PROGRAM Block A Block B Block C Phase 1 Block D1 Block E Block F Block G Subtotal Pier 48

Square Footage 0 Pier 48 is an important element in our plan. It is a clear reminder of the history of the Mission Rock site. Views of Pier 48 are preserved and highlightedin our plan. Mission Rock Park is designed with Pier 48 in mind. As people cross over the Lefty O’Doul Bridge from the north and arrive at Mission Rock Park, Pier 48 is in clear view. Directly in front of Pier 48 is Festival Plaza. This public plaza is designedto frame Pier 48 and to accommodate a variety of events that seek to spill outside of the Pier inviting patrons to explore inside. Pier 48 is used now primarily for ballpark parking, the
storage of election equipment and for an occasional special event. We believe that if actively marketed, it could attract an array of regional trade shows, designer showcases, art festivals, food and wine gatherings and other special events and exhibitions too small for Moscone Center, but too large for other City venues. Pier 48 can be an effective tool in preserving and attracting businesses to the City and generating important revenues for the hospitalityindustry. This use is explicitly compatible with the public trust doctrine applicable to this site. In particular, we believe that the northern apron of

Pier 48 could be a popular destination for visitors and a busy hub for water taxis, excursion boats, ferries and other vessels. The southern apron of Pier 48 would continue to take on the character of a working waterfront, much like Pier 50 to the south. At first, Pier 48 could be operated with modest
capital improvements. Over time, however, the Pier would need more extensive improvements to
maximize its economic potential and stake its claim as an energetic contributor to the neighborhood.
The Pier would be rehabilitated consistent with to the Secretary of Interior Standards. The existing cargo doors will remain in place, with new operable glass doors added where feasible so that in inclement weather, the interior spaces can take full advantage of natural light and views, and on beautiful days reinforce the indoor-outdoor potential of the public uses inside. Because the last few bays at the far eastern end of the Pier were damaged by a fire and subsequently rebuilt, these portions of the building can be approached more flexibly in terms of their architectural treatment. The eastern end of Pier could be transformed into its own smaller venue, attractive to smaller celebrations, conferences and events.

The open portion between Sheds A & B constitute the “Valley” and can be programmed in conjunction
with activities in the indoor spaces. The “Valley” can be entirely open to the sky or possibly covered with temporary fabric shade structures. We believe that the “Valley” would be far more attractive and usable if its eastern end could be replaced with transparent
glass walls opening up views to the Bay.

THe WHOLE ENCHILADA (http://www.sfgov.org/site/port_page.asp?id=56101)

PD Staff
05-12-2010, 02:27 PM
http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/content.php?335-Americas-Cup-Mono-vs-Multi-via-Americascupalameda.com

May 1st Article update via americascupalameda.com

Photoboy
05-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Diggin through the archives! May come in handy...If in you know someone who's a looking...

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/26615775693735670848.jpg

Crown Beach, Alameda in foreground, edge of NAS upper right

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/81042159172556085850.jpg

The place where a village could live

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/04917812039767869593.jpg

The little club that could

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/57281117936314160941.jpg

The iconic StFYC

Photoboy
05-12-2010, 06:07 PM
http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/93903739030908684729.jpg

I think you all know the kid on the right...but the left?

And the event?

PD Staff
05-18-2010, 10:27 AM
AC Flight Plan Still to Come

What was that statue to the right of Russell Coutts and Vincenzo Onorato during the first America's Cup 34 press conference? And why was it chosen? And what to make of BMW Oracle Racing's road map for the sailing's biggest prize.

By Stuart Streuli, Sailing World Magazine

The choice of Cam Lewis as the moderator for the first press conference for the 34th America's Cup was curious. But not nearly as curious as the selection of historic artwork flanking the stage.

The Capitoline Wolf depicts the myth of the foundation of Rome. Quoting from the Wikipedia entries for the stature itself as well as the myth:

The statue's subject is inspired to the legend of the founding of Rome: when the twins Romulus and Remus' father Numitor was overthrown by his brother Amulius, he ordered them to be cast into the Tiber. They were rescued by a she-wolf who cared for them until a herdsman, Faustulus, found and raised them.

The twins are eventually restored to their regal birthright, acquire many followers and decide to found a new city.
Romulus wishes to build the new city on the Palatine Hill; Remus prefers the Aventine Hill. They agree to determine the site through augury. Romulus appears to receive the more favourable signs but each claims the results in his favour. In the disputes that follow, Remus is killed.

So if BMW Oracle Racing Racing plays the role of Romulus, who is Remus? Alinghi? Mascalzone Latino Audi?

OK, so maybe I'm reading way too much into this. It's an iconic statue and symbolic of the host city. But hey it wasn't like we got a lot of specifics to dissect during the press conference. The 34th America's Cup may have launched, to paraphrase Lewis' closing remarks, but the flight plan most certainly hasn't been filed.

The BMW Oracle Racing press release provides the nuts and bolts of what was revealed. Rather than re-hash it all, I'll provide some thoughts.

• The design competition between Bruce Nelson (monohull) and Melvin & Morrelli (multihull) will be quite interesting. Nelson's been out of the America's Cup spotlight for a few years. He was last with the OneWorld Challenge in the 2002-'03 Louis Vuitton Trophy in Auckland. Perhaps that's why he was selected. Melvin & Morrelli worked with BMW Oracle Racing on the tri and have already drawn up some conceptual plans for a 70-footer. But I'm not sure that head start is going to be enough. If BMW Oracle Racing is serious about the consensus approach to choosing a design, then the monohull, whatever it may be, has to be an overwhelming favorite. My informal straw poll in Valencia found few current AC sailors—Great Britain's Ian Walker being the lone exception—that would prefer a multi to a mono. If BMW Oracle Racing wanted to sail the Cup in a multihull they'd have to say that's the boat and move on. For more on a multihull America's Cup, listen to my podcast with cat legend Mitch Booth, recorded during the 33rd America's Cup in Valencia. At the time Booth was set to work with GreenComm Challenge, purported to be Alinghi's challenger of record had the Swiss team successfully defended the Cup.

• Another perplexing thing about the boat selection process is that it will ostensibly be done independent of the venue selection, which sounds like something that BMW Oracle Racing will handle itself. While a good concept will work in most, if not all, venues, matching the two together seems like an easier solution. An 80-foot catamaran capable of gobbling up a 3-mile loop in a matter of minutes might not be the best choice for San Francisco Bay where space is so limited. A 70-foot skiff might be great in San Fran, where it blows 25 knots on a regular basis, but not so much fun in San Diego, where it's usually around 10 to 12 knots. And so forth. I like Democracy as much as the next guy, but I think part of hosting the America's Cup is taking the reins and putting your stamp on the event.

• However, BMW Oracle Racing's commitment to have consensus on the rules is a good step forward as is its promise of truly independent race management. Alinghi had the idea right with America's Cup Management, though the execution was marginal. These steps should go a long way toward convince teams and perhaps more importantly, the general public, that this is a true, fair sporting competition (even if we know it will never be truly fair!).

• The commitment to the best possible TV coverage is great news as well. After all the bickering during the last three Cups about who should wear the microphones, and how many cameras are on each boat, etc., it will be great to have a more open policy. Hopefully the team's internal communications systems will be broadcast during the racing. One of my favorite moments during the 32nd America's Cup was during the semifinals when we had some onboard footage from Desafío Español and got to hear tactician John Cutler talk helmsman Karol Jablonski down the run. Even without any match racing maneuvers, it was fascinating. More of that will be great for the sport.

• For San Franciscans looking for some reassurance that their city is the lead candidate there was little to be positive about, starting with, as I said before, the fact this thing was held in Rome. Coutts re-iterated his stance that they are looking for the best venue and no city is out of the running. In other words, San Francisco, Newport, and San Diego better put on their game faces for these bids.

• Peter Rusch relayed my question about potential Deed of Gift changes and it was nice to hear they're considering it, though it didn't sound like it's high on BMW Oracle Racing's list of priorities.

• Coutts response to the nationality question—a good one, BTW, whichever Italian journo asked it—was classic. It sort of reminded me of the Bush (Junior) administration's policy of global warming. "Sure, fixing it would be a great idea, but we'd rather let the next generation deal with that time bomb." This is sort of like the boat issue. You're never going to get a bunch of international teams to agree to a nationality rule, just like a bunch of monohull teams will never agree to a catamaran. If you, being the defender, think it's a good thing, put it in, take the flack, and push the event to a better place. A percentage rule would be a good one for this Cup, say 30 or 40 percent of the sailing team on the boat at any one time must hold passports from the country of origin. From there going even further, 50 percent or more, would be easy. As would stepping back a bit if it proves unworkable and exclusionary to countries with limited sailing talent.

• The worst-kept secret in this arena is that Louis Vuitton is one of the former commercial partners of the Cup that wants back in. LV point man Bruno Troublé was in attendance and surely holding court afterwards. This is great news if for no other reason than LV throws some great parties.

• When talking about cost-cutting, Coutts mentioned black-out dates to limit personnel expenses. He steered clear of boat limits. As much as many people would like to see each team restricted to one boat, I think the cost-control measures will come in other ways. I just don't see how a defender that cannot "sail in the challenger selection series at the venue" can be expected to train without a second boat.

• And with that, we're back on standby.

PD Staff
05-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Meanwhile in Valencia...

Noted yacht designers from around the world are attending a conference to lay the groundwork for a new class of boat for the 34th America's Cup.

The conference is being hosted by design coordinator Ian 'Fresh' Burns at the BMW ORACLE Racing base in Valencia.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_So4nXyDaWE0/S_KZXUFUsHI/AAAAAAAABZc/2YryIgUGrkM/s1600/AC34_Rule_Briefing.jpg

As mentioned at the Rome press conference for the 34th America's Cup, the goal is a fair design rule that will produce a next generation boat that is thrilling for sailing fans to watch, challenging for the sailors to sail and stimulating for the designers as well.

By seeking input from the best brains in the business, the process is off to a good start. The objective is a rule fair to all teams which, like race management, will be placed in the hands of a neutral organisation.

The design rule for the new America's Cup class is to be finalised by the 30th September of this year.

Posted by Peter Rusch at 15:26

http://bmworacleracingblog.blogspot.com

PD Staff
05-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Kim Livingstons Take (http://kimballlivingston.com/?p=3113)

No, you can’t park it in your driveway yet, but the 19 designers who met today in Valencia put rubber on the road toward a decision on what kind of boat we’ll be racing in America’s Cup 34, monohull or multihull. Beyond the tradeoffs, priorities and passions that might pop up in any barside conversation anywhere, these people were concerned with matters such as the ease of shipping these new boats—plug and play keel technology would be welcomed by the monohull set—and how to make the racing and the boats television-friendly. Yes, the likes of Juan Kouyoumdjian, Marcelino Botin, Patrick Shaughnessy, Mani Frers, and Rolf Vrolijk engaged in discussions of boom height, gunnel height, and deck height, all with cameras and camera angles in mind.

This was merely an opening round, of course. Ten nationalities were represented. Fresh Burns (BMW Oracle Racing design coordinator) moderated. For a starting point, the meeting had conceptual designs presented by Bruce Nelson (a monohull up to 27 meters LOA) and Morelli & Melvin (two multihulls at 20 and 25 meters LOA). One matter that hasn’t been made clear–if it’s even been decided–is whether we’ll have an interim announcement regarding the number of hulls per boat, ahead of the no-later-than-end-of-September announcement of the boat itself. But the “consensus” theme rolls on. From my foxhole in California I skyped-up Tim Jeffery, in the Communications wing of BMW Oracle Racing in Valencia, and he said, “The World Sailing Teams Association has been asked if they want to take on the rules writing. We don’t want it in our four walls.”

This is, ah, not trivial.

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/92357885568681554249.jpg

World Sailing Teams Association is WSTA, the usual-suspects challengers plus Louis Vuitton, which is to say the folks now gathered at breezy La Maddalena for Louis Vuitton Trophy racing that begins on Saturday. Larry Ellison may be trying to give the America’s Cup a 21st-century restructuring, but this seems a clear offer to maintain the historic and fundamental challenger-driven character of the event.

It is also a reminder of events post-1988 (post Big Boat/catamaran debacle) when the players sat down, analyzed the situation, and developed the class of boat that served Cup matches 1992-2007 and is still on the water at La Maddalena.

Here is how WSTA explains itself:

The World Sailing Teams Association (WSTA) was founded in 2009 by a group of professional yacht racing teams to develop regular high-level match race regattas in large and complex racing yachts. The WSTA is jointly owned by its nine shareholders (the teams) and represents the interests of those teams in the pursuit of fair and highly competitive racing. The WSTA, in conjunction with title partner Louis Vuitton, co-organises the Louis Vuitton Trophy.

And here is the full text of today’s release from BMW Oracle Racing:

Designers focus on new America’s Cup Class

A significant step was taken towards creating the next America’s Cup boat when 19 designers met in Valencia.

Central to the deliberations was whether to develop a monohull or a multihull for the 34th America’s Cup.

The conference was held at the home base of BMW ORACLE Racing during its successful 33rd America’s Cup campaign.

“The teams want a new boat; the fans deserve one too,” commented Russell Coutts, four time winner of the America’s Cup.

“It will not be a ‘defender’s boat’. It will be the product of genuine discussion and dialogue,” Coutts added.

The Valencia meetings were chaired by BMW ORACLE Racing’s design coordinator, Ian Burns.

Around the table was a ‘who’s who’ of yacht design: 10 nationalities were represented, with winning records in every level rating class from Quarter Tonners to TP52s as well as the Volvo Ocean Race, Jules Verne Trophy, classic races such as the Fastnet and Sydney-Hobart and, the America’s Cup.

Structural and performance experts also attended as did those with experience of creating rules for the ACC, Whitbread 60 and Volvo 70 classes.

Two different multihulls (20m and 25m LOA) were discussed as was one monohull (up to 27m LOA).

The new concepts were conceived by eminent designers Bruce Nelson and Morelli/Melvin, creators of previous America’s Cup winning yachts.

http://www.americaone.org/syndicate/images/nelson-sg.jpg

Bruce Nelson

http://www.morrellimelvin.com/webyep-system/data/42-2-im-StoryPic-9450.jpg

Pete Melvin

http://www.morrellimelvin.com/webyep-system/data/42-1-im-StoryPic-2544.jpg

Gino Morelli

Besides their expertise, Nelson and Morelli/Melvin were chosen because they are unaligned with either BMW ORACLE Racing or the Challenger of Record, Club Nautico di Roma/Mascalzone Latino.

High performance is fundamental to all three concepts. The monohull proposal will give significantly faster speeds upwind and downwind compared to boats used in 2007.

“The America’s Cup is the pinnacle of our sport, so the boats should be physically demanding to race well and produce fast, competitive racing to engage new fans,” said Burns.

Requirements for all three concepts are:

• fast, dynamic and close racing
• high levels of athleticism required to race the boats to their optimum
• advanced, efficient and cost-effective technologies
• logistical efficiency to facilitate transport to a regular series of regattas
• distinctive to the America’s Cup
• versatility, enabling racing in any venue in winds from 5-35 knots

Versatility is seen as essential to minimise disruption to racing.

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/31888285541990778827.jpg

“Delays and postponements kill interest,” commented Coutts. “America’s Cup boats shouldn’t be the last to start racing and the first to quit whilst other classes are still racing. They also need to be designed from the outset to unleash the full potential of television.”

Television specialists will provide expertise and advice before the rule is written so that media requirements are incorporated at the outset.

The World Sailing Teams Association has been asked if it would manage the rule drafting. Non-aligned experts will be used to ensure fairness to all teams.

The rule-writers will report back to all teams equally and frequently. And teams will have the chance to review the new rule before it is finalized.

Publication of the new class rule will be no later than 30th September.

PD Staff
05-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Before the Wing there was....

http://www.morrellimelvin.com/agallery/starsandstripes/stars-01.jpg

http://www.morrellimelvin.com/agallery/starsandstripes/stars-07.jpg

http://oldsalt1942.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/stars__stripes_1988_cat_big.jpg

K38Bob
05-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Ok...who is w Paul?? and what event?

PD Staff
05-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Kimball Livingston gives the B+CDC some love and affection:

BCDC Loves You, Baby (http://kimballlivingston.com/?p=3164)

PD Staff
05-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Looks like you can cross the Pier 48 A-Cup Village off the list.
Pier 80, Alameda and Pier 30-32 only viable contenders left?

The plan to build a new Mission Rock District - and possibly a new home for the Golden State Warriors - next to AT&T Park got enthusiastic support Tuesday from the city's Port Commission, even though any construction is probably years away.

"I always thought we would do this, but I didn't think I'd be alive to see it," said Commissioner Stephanie Shakofsky.

Under terms of the agreement, which was approved unanimously, the Giants and their development partners have up to six years to get the approvals needed before the first bulldozer can begin work on the 16-acre bayfront tract now leased from the port as the stadium's parking lot.

The nation's economic slump is behind the slow-moving nature of the project, which originally was scheduled to break ground by 2013. Since the Port Commission agreed last May to award the development rights to the team led by the Giants, two of that group's six partners - Kenwood Investments and Stockbridge Capital - have pulled out.

"Obviously the economy has had a big effect on new development," said Jack Bair, senior vice president and general counsel for the Giants. "But for the past (few) months we've been moving forward to get this done."

Flexibility in plan
Because of "an economic climate that poses extraordinary uncertainties regarding development markets and financing," the agreement between the port and the developers is designed to "provide flexibility and reduce front-end investment" for the Giants, according to a staff memorandum to the Port Commission.

That flexibility could leave the city with a neighborhood that looks very different from the one presented to the commission last year.

That plan included a 5-acre Mission Rock Park along the bayfront, 10 commercial and residential buildings, including one taller than 300 feet, 2,650 parking spaces, acres of open space and rehabilitation of historic Pier 48.

Even that was a major step back from the Giants' February 2008 proposal for the property, which called for a 5,000-seat music hall and an entertainment district with nightclubs and other attractions.

'Uncertain times'
"We're in uncertain times," admitted Jonathan Stern, the port's assistant deputy director of waterfront development projects. "There are changes that market reality will dictate."

The for-sale Warriors are the wild card in the development deck. There were reportedly more than a dozen nonbinding bids submitted for the team last week, but there's no telling when Warriors owner Chris Cohan will accept an offer or if a new owner will be interested in moving the team from Oakland.

But because the Giants are said to be one of the bidders for the Warriors, a multipurpose arena could be part of the final development plan.

Bair tiptoed past any arena questions.

Arena option is open
"If the opportunity presents itself, we will explore it," the attorney said in an interview. The development agreement with the port "leaves that option open."

But Mayor Gavin Newsom suggested that a Warriors move to San Francisco is a real possibility, and that the port's development deal is designed with that in mind.

"I've talked to a lot of suitors for the Warriors," he told The Chronicle's editorial board Monday.

One reason the Giants became involved in the development plan for the site is that they wanted a say in what happened around AT&T Park.

"We'd like to see development that is synergetic to the ballpark and that fits in with the neighborhood," Bair said.

The Mission Rock development is a top priority for the cash-strapped port. Although original estimates of $10.2 million a year in rent from the tract had dipped to about $6.5 million by last year, that's still plenty of incentive to move the project along as quickly as possible.

The site "is one of the most important in terms of future income potential," Stern told the commission. "This is very important to the port's future plans."E-mail John Wildermuth at jwildermuth@sfchronicle.com.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/05/26/BAGN1DK739.DTL#ixzz0p4COqmx2

PD Staff
06-03-2010, 02:43 PM
http://kimballlivingston.com/?p=3306

500 Million Euros & Italy?
By kimball | Published: June 2, 2010
Say it ain’t so, Joe.

I mean, Larry.

I mean, those rumors that are flying around that a city in Italy has promised 500 million Euros for the America’s Cup, the rumors that claim said city is on the brink of taking over America’s Cup 34.

It’s serious enough that a member of the Long Beach committee—they want a Cup in San Francisco and a Louis Vuitton event in Long Beach—has written to the president of US Sailing, urging him to “use your bully pulpit of editorial comment to encourage the organizers to host the 34th America’s Cup on San Francisco Bay.” That would be John Sangmeister, veteran of the 12 Meter days, writing to Gary Jobson (likewise a veteran of the 12 Meter days, come to think of it).

As a matter of fact, Sangmeister rang my chimes too, which is how I came to be rattling the doors at BMW Oracle with a message on the order of: I know you can’t tell me anything, but tell me something anyway.

They didn’t, exactly. The responses were a mix of the calming and the cryptic.

Herewith their Director of Communications, Tim Jeffery, via email: “There are some interesting punts around at picking the venue: some so way off base you really wonder where these ideas come from; some public and known; some plausible but wrong. All of them are much farther advanced than the reality, as the options continue to increase.” Best, Tim

I would prefer to think that there is only one option, and that is to hold America’s Cup 34 on San Francisco Bay, in the home waters of Golden Gate Yacht Club, inscribed on the Cup itself as the winner of the 33rd match.

I’m sure that even in the midst of the European debt crisis, there are ports in Spain, France, or the home country of the Challenger of Record, Italy, that are eager to roll out a pathway smoother than any that lead through the quirky backalleys of San Francisco politics.

Maybe the Board of Supervisors should threaten to boycott Italy.

But—

If Larry Ellison wants to secure his place in the history of yachting, most of which is recorded in the annals of America’s Cup, he won’t be sailing the 34th Defense in foreign waters while there remains water lapping American shores.

I know there are people who think I’m softheaded to take Ellison at his word, but he’s made all the right noises so far.

I know there are people who are skeptical of the boat selection process and perceive ulterior motives in it. But I don’t see the evidence. I figure that’s yet another Rorschach test.

Misters Ellison and Coutts have sworn themselves to high standards, and we are watching and waiting with high expectations.

Say it’s so, Joe.

PD Staff
06-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Meanwhile, SF Planning Commision begins look hard at the renovation of Hunters Point. With the renovation of China Basin and Hunters Point in the works,
one question remains, will an A-Cup Village somewhere in between become part of the mix?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/06/03/BA9H1DOQF2.DTL

A plan to put 10,500 new homes on the long-shuttered Hunters Point Naval Shipyard will face its first real showdown this afternoon when the city Planning Commission is asked to approve the environmental impact report for the huge project.

The development, which will include retail space, offices and a home for "green tech" businesses, is also the site of the proposed 69,000-seat home for the San Francisco 49ers.

The agreements the Planning Commission and Redevelopment Commission will be asked to approve, however, include contingency plans that would put housing on the stadium site if the 49ers move to Santa Clara.

"This (project) will happen whether or not the 49ers are involved, because the public benefits are so important for the city," Michael Cohen, director of economic and workforce development for the city, said Wednesday.

Cohen and representatives of Lennar, the project's developer, stressed those benefits during a tour of the shipyard site Wednesday.

More than 30 percent of the homes built will be affordable, said Kofi Bonner, a vice-president for the developer, based in Miami. When completed sometime around 2032, the project is expected to create 10,000 permanent new jobs in a new San Francisco neighborhood that will be home to 24,500 residents and the site of shops, parks and environmentally friendly development.

With the vote today, "we're now looking for the city to put its blessing on the plan," he said.

The shipyard, which the Navy left in 1974, is now home to little more than some artists' studios and dozens of ramshackle World War II-era buildings. But the site, anchored by the landmark crane that will remain as part of the new development, provides gorgeous views of San Francisco Bay.

Questions raised
Despite the glossy renderings of the proposed project and promises of a new, better future for the Bayview district, there are plenty of questions being raised about the plans for the 700-acre site, which includes Candlestick Point.

For the past month, planning commissioners were given an early look at the various parts of the environmental impact report and listened to concerns about the development.

Community members worry that despite spending more than $700 million, the Navy has not sufficiently removed toxic substances from the site. Dust from construction could threaten neighbors, they argue, while the toxic substances left in the ground could endanger people who will live, work and play there. The Environmental Protection Agency found the site safe for development.

Environmentalists oppose a proposed $45 million bridge over Yosemite Slough, which separates the shipyard site from Candlestick Point, saying it would endanger wildlife in the tidal wetlands.

Some people have raised concerns about how the shoreline development would withstand a major earthquake and a rise in the level of the bay, while others argue that more studies are needed to gauge the impact of a major development on the area.

Cohen is confident that those questions have been answered and that the time for study has passed. The plan for the shipyard has been in the works for more than a decade and work on the environmental impact report began in 2007. The development plan was endorsed by the city's voters in 2008, when they passed Proposition G, Cohen said, and local groups have given their OKs.

Today's vote "is an important next step in what has been 10 years of a community-based planning odyssey," he said.

More hearings
Besides the environmental impact report, the two commissions will be asked to approve other agreements so the project can move forward.

If approved, the project is expected to go to the Board of Supervisors this summer for more hearings and a final vote. Construction could begin in 2011.

Today's meeting at City Hall will begin at 1 p.m. and is expected to continue into the evening. The commissions can approve or reject the plan or send it back for further study.

A vote against the project won't end the development effort, Cohen promised.

"If (the commissions) vote 'no,' we'll keep at it," he said. "The city and the Bayview community have been working on this so long, we're not going to stop."

PD Staff
06-04-2010, 02:19 PM
The America's Cup Is To Be Held In Italy. Maybe.
June 4, 2010 – World News

We can't identify who called Latitude yesterday morning with the report, but a normally reliable source extremely close to the ultimate decision-maker for the site of the next America's Cup says that Larry Ellison of BMW Oracle is about to announce that the next America's Cup will be held off Italy, not on San Francisco Bay.

The source tells us that a guarantee of half a billion U.S. dollars on the part of somebody or some entity in Italy was one of the deciding factors.

Cap-d'Ail, is certainly presentable enough for an America's Cup, the Italians are rabid sailors, and Elba is just a short distance away. But we don't think there is sufficient infrastructure.

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/img_lectronic_480/2010-06-04_9816_It1.tif.jpg

Photo Courtesy Air Italia
© 2010 Latitude 38 Publishing Co., Inc.

We've always thought that there would be Acts around the world — and maybe there still will be — but that the Finals would be held on San Francisco Bay. But if the Finals turn out to be in Italy, remember you read it here first. If our source is wrong, please forget that you read it here.

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/img_lectronic_480/2010-06-04_1091_It2.tif.jpg

Portofino has the requisite beauty and ambiance for an America's Cup, but it's not much bigger than Ayala Cove, and the beautiful and windy two-lane road from Santa Margharita would turn into a daily parking lot. Not that it isn't already during the season.

Photo Courtesy Webb Logg

Where would in Italy would it be held? Cap-d'Ail, Portofino and Capri are all spectacularly beautiful and would draw fans and the ultra-affluent like flies to a fresh cow pie. But they really don't have the facilities for all the crowds and mega yachts that would want to be part of the action. As such, if it's going to be in Italy, we think it would be off either La Spezia, which has plenty of space for bases and is next to romantic Portovenere, or Sardinia. If it's Italy, we'd guess it would be held at Sardinia.

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/img_lectronic_480/2010-06-04_5004_It4.tif.jpg

Chic and romantic Portovenere is just around the corner from the industrial and yachting center of La Spezia. If the Cup went to Italy, this wouldn't be a bad place to hold it.
Photo Courtesy Webb Logg

Is there any reason to doubt such a report. Sure. For one thing, Larry Ellison needs an extra $500 million for the event like an alcoholic needs another case of beer.

- latitude / rs

PD Staff
06-04-2010, 02:34 PM
San Francisco Business Times - by Eric Young

As it readies its pitch to host the next America's Cup, San Francisco has already scored an unusual coup: Lining up early support from a wide array of government agencies.

San Francisco's economic development arm, which is overseeing the city's bid, has already received preliminary support from the city's Board of Supervisors, Port Commission, Recreation and Park Commission and the Convention and Visitors Bureau, as well as the Bay Conservation and Development Commission and Golden Gate National Recreational Area.

Even more backing is expected. The Metropolitan Transportation Commission, a regional planning and funding agency, is expected to formally back a bid this month.

The America's Cup regatta, governed by rules that can vary with each competition, is typically held every two or three years and can generate billions of dollars for a host city. Apart from the competition itself — which can last up to two weeks — teams spend much more time training, which can bring tourists and other race-related commerce.

Lining up early support, organizers said, is done in the hope that these various fiefdoms will pull in one direction on the project. And it could also send a strong message to the sailing team headed by Oracle CEO Larry Ellison — the America's Cup defender — that San Francisco will be able to plan and build an America's Cup village, where teams would train for more than a year and be based during the regatta.

"San Francisco has a history of having a tortured process," said Kyri McClellan, a project manager in the San Francisco Mayor's Office of Economic and Workforce Development. "This early demonstration (of support), we hope will show Mr. Ellison and his team that this can be done."

The early support does not give America's Cup supporters carte blanche. Once they select a site to promote and have specific plans about how it will be developed, they will have to reappear before these various governmental bodies to get final approvals.

Ellison, whose company is based in Redwood City, is expected to select a site for the 34th America's Cup before the end of the year.

The city's early push to line up support is breaking new ground.

"It's unusual for us to adopt a resolution way in advance," said Will Travis, the director of the Bay Conservation and Development Commission, whose charge is to protect the bay and regulate development along the waterfront. But the commission was comfortable giving an early thumbs-up because, "this is a project which would make the most wonderful use of San Francisco Bay we could imagine."

There are four sites in San Francisco under consideration for an America's Cup village. They are Piers 30-32, Pier 50, Pier 80 and the east side of Treasure Island. Each site would need infrastructure upgrades, likely requiring several million dollars worth of improvements and construction.

Some, if not most, of that money could come from corporate sponsorship.

For now, city officials are able to keep their costs low as they prepare a bid. As they consider sites, officials are getting free help from a number of local companies, including construction firms Bovis and URS Corp., architects Skidmore Owings & Merrill and law firms Gibson Dunn & Crutcher LLP and Sheppard Mullin LLP. They are also getting help from the Bay Area Council Economic Institute and Beacon Economics to compile an estimate of economic impact of the event.

San Francisco is not the only place that wants to host the next America's Cup. San Diego and Rhode Island want to woo Ellison as well. San Diego, a previous America's Cup host, has infrastructure in place, which Ellison's team used as it prepared for the 33rd America's Cup. And sailing wags have noted that Ellison recently bought an estate in Newport, R.I., which would be convenient if that is the next America's Cup venue.

It is also assumed that Valencia, Spain — where the previous regatta was held — and perhaps other sites in Europe, will compete as well.

A spokesman for Ellison's team, BMW Oracle Racing, declined to characterize San Francisco's chances of hosting the event.

PD Staff
06-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Valencia Sailing's Full Interview (http://valenciasailing.blogspot.com/2010/06/paul-cayard-talks-to-valencia-sailing.html)

Paul Cayard: No, we now think it's better with each team building their own new boat while the plan you mention would have worked for a Cup in 2014. I think a 2013 America's Cup date is better for commercial reasons, between the Olympics and the world soccer. The year 2013 is better because the calendar is not full from a sponsorship standpoint and as result we don't have the time to build that fleet.

We will all probably start building our own yachts around June 2011 in view of a March 2012 launch. For sure, from that time all teams will be bringing their own yachts to the events, Louis Vuitton Trophies or Acts as we used to know them. That just really leaves up in the air what we do next year. We, the WSTA, are planning on having 4 events next year and we think the Defender maybe wants to add a couple more.

Valencia Sailing: Will those events be raced with the current yachts?
Paul Cayard: Right now that's our plan but there are some other ideas that could be interesting. We are working on a series of things but again, it's a very dynamic moment right now and I wouldn't want to be locked in and say anything is for sure. Everything is still at a state of development and ideas and don't forget we are on the outside because it's BMW Oracle that has the keys to this game.

What they say, obviously, counts a lot more than what we say. Right now we are planning Dubai in November and Honk Kong in January with the current ACC yachts. We have an additional three events worked up to a very high level of agreement, in San Diego, Sochi in Russia and San Francisco in September 2011. The WSTA is going ahead with its business but, of course, at the same time we have to be sensitive to the Defender and what they want.

Valencia Sailing: What's in store for the Louis Vuitton Trophy in the future? Are the regattas going to form part of the 34th America's Cup?
Paul Cayard: Well, we are still working on that. Ultimately, it's up to BMW Oracle to decide and since they are a preferential shareholder in the WSTA, the organizer of the Louis Vuitton Trophy, they are obviously a big believer in that concept of races that travel around the world, bringing sailing to fans in different countries.

I'm quite sure that this concept will be part of the America's Cup. Exactly how this gets done, whether it's on boats provided by the organization, at what point we are all going to bring our own boats to the events (because I'm sure at some stage we'll have to do it), exactly when that transition is made, all these are points we are working on with BMW Oracle. Ultimately, they have a huge say in how that takes place.

Valencia Sailing: What role, if any, will the WSTA have in the America's Cup?
Paul Cayard: Again, that's something we are currently working on. I think so but we have to work that out with BMW Oracle and Mascalzone Latino. They both are preferential shareholders of the WSTA, so they see a value in that and they will want to protect it.

Valencia Sailing: Let's now talk about the future America's Cup boat. What would you personally like to see?
Paul Cayard: A faster, more exciting boat than the current ACC yachts. Maybe more demanding from a crew standpoint, with fewer crew and the maneuvers quite difficult in order to make it more exciting for the spectator. Maybe races could be decided in the last minute going to the finish line when someone doesn't gybe properly, a real test of the crew as well as the design. Another important thing is that I think the courses should be shorter, just like we have them here in the Louis Vuitton Trophy, resulting in races approximately 40-45 minutes long.

Valencia Sailing: Even for the actual America's Cup match?
Paul Cayard: Yes. I think we need to move forward with our top sailing events and create high-level commercial value. I think that an America's Cup race with a 3-mile beat and with the boats sailing side by side for 20 minutes, tacking once and then going for 20 minutes again, might be interesting to the sailing fans but I think it's long for the people that don't know about our sport.

I think a 40-minute race with two laps and each leg taking 10 minutes is something that a non-sailing expert can watch, especially in a place like the San Francisco bay where it's windy, we have lots of planing downwind, someone is broaching, we have action when gybing, etc. If you add some nationalism to that, the Italians racing the Spanish, the Spanish racing the Americans, these are some basic things that anybody can follow. We need to make changes to the way we run the top-end of our sport that requires a lot of commercial support in order to make them more interesting to the non-sailing audience.

Valencia Sailing: Does the boat you mention have to be a monohull or a multihull?
Paul Cayard: I'm not prejudiced one way or the other. I think we'll end up with a monohull. I know Russell is very open-minded on the subject and we are going to run some trials between monohulls and multihulls to establish how TV would work and what makes a more exciting race.

Valencia Sailing: Is there a consensus among the WSTA members regarding the type of boat?
Paul Cayard: If you take everybody's temperature they would say monohull but most of it is hanging over from tradition. I think that what we really want to do is look at everything in a very new and fresh way and say: "What makes the most sense for where we want to go with the event?

Photoboy
06-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Paul Oliva has written this piece for the SF Chronicle. Not earth shattering, nor anything we didn't already know or assume.
At least no one said the Cup would be held in Italy and SF could blow bears...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/06/11/DD521DSMJ8.DTL

"The spirit of the Cup was lost since 2007 ... but the Cup is a great story, and great stories always have a rebirth," says Louis Vuitton Chairman and CEO Yves Carcelle, gazing out at the sparkling blue Mediterranean racecourse from a 120-foot VIP yacht. "San Francisco would be the perfect place for the Cup."

Carcelle's opinion is important because of the company's long involvement with the America's Cup contest. From 1983 to 2007, the company organized the official America's Cup challenger elimination series. Today, the Louis Vuitton Trophy race offers Cup-level competition four times a year for teams that intend to challenge for the America's Cup. It is now run by the newly formed World Sailing Teams Association chaired by Bay Area sailor Paul Cayard.

Tom Ehman, spokesman for Cup holder BMW Oracle Racing and Golden Gate Yacht Club, says, "Larry Ellison has said all along his top choice is San Francisco."

He added that wherever the Cup is held, the Bay Area will play a role by hosting some pre-racing, a challenger series or a defender series.

"I can't see any scenario where there will not be significant racing in San Francisco," he says.

Regarding the location preference of the Cup itself, the positions of the other teams haven't been known until now, but in several interviews conducted over the past week, most of the competitors agree that San Francisco is the best choice for the next race.

Italian shipping magnate Vincenzo Onorato, president of sailing team Mascalzone Latino (Latin Rascals), the official challenger for the America's Cup under the flag of Club Nautico di Roma, says there is mutual consent and that he and Ellison "share the same vision."

Interesting thought wouod be a "Commercial Village" at piers 30-32 or Pier 50 and any working village elswhere, Pier 80, TI or Alameda....That scenario would probably make everyone happy...hmmmmm

PD Staff
06-23-2010, 02:05 PM
In a joint initiative by the defender, San Francisco’s Golden Gate Yacht Club and the Challenger of Record, Italy’s Club Nautico di Roma, a draft of the Protocol rules for the 34th America’s Cup was sent to the challenging teams today.

Foremost amongst numerous innovations is a forward-thinking structure that allows funds and assets to transfer from one America’s Cup to the next.

The draft is a ‘listening and living’ document. Teams have been invited to comment and, contribute to its final form.

This follows an already unprecedented level of cooperation with the Challenger of Record and a dialogue with potential teams. It offers another chance for input before the Protocol is finalized and published by the target date of 31st August 2010.

“This has been a painstaking process, but we believe it sets out a New Deal for the America’s Cup and fair play for all teams. It also incorporates the vision of the Cup held by Larry Ellison and BMW ORACLE Racing,” said Russell Coutts, CEO of BMW ORACLE Racing.

“To create a fair playing field we plan to issue all of the event rules before the end of the year, and this is a significant first step in that direction,” Coutts said. “Teams will know exactly what they are signing-up to.”

Potential teams asked for these key elements to be included the 34th America’s Cup Protocol and they have been:

• neutral race management body
• wide-ranging powers for the Jury
• cost cutting measures
• initiative to transform television & media output
• added-value to sponsors & business partners
• sustainable, long-term business model

Building on the initiative by the World Sailing Team’s Association, a maximum of eight pre-regattas per year is planned for consistent racing and exposure for the teams in the years leading up to the America’s Cup.

The Protocol will rein-in costs by reducing the number of racing crew, introducing no-sailing periods and limiting the numbers of hulls, masts, appendages and sails teams can build.

At the end of the 34th Match, the New Deal leaves an inheritance of substantial funding and assets to the next Defender in a move to end the stop-start cycle teams have faced previously. This sustainable legacy is dependent of the 35th America’s Cup defender continuing with neutral race management and a schedule of regular competition.

In keeping with GGYC’s pledge of fair-play for all, among the many measures which will achieve this is a commitment that GGYC’s defender will not will not compete in the final Challenger Selection Series but that there will be defense trials if there is more than one viable US team.

Television and media output have been prioritized in the draft Protocol to deliver more pictures, more audio and more data than ever before to audiences for an immersive experience, either through television or online broadcast.

Progress on a new, exciting and physically-demanding class of America’s Cup yacht, again with a dialogue with stakeholders fundamental to the process, is moving strongly ahead.

Key dates (as announced at the joint Defender & Challenger of Record Press Conference on 6th May 2010):

• Protocol for the 34th America’s Cup will be issued by 31st August
• Design rule released by 30th September
• Race rules published by 30th December
• Challenge Period open from 1st October – 31st January 2011

The draft Protocol for the 34th America’s Cup may be downloaded http://www.americascup.com/media/AC34_Protocol_Draft_23_June.pdf

IOR Geezer
06-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Finally, some sanity brought back to the Cup.

Hallejulah!

PD Staff
06-28-2010, 02:26 PM
http://www.americascup.com/34th-americas-cup-news/

http://www.americascup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/VidContBann_585.jpg

VALENCIA, Spain (28 June 2010) – Do you have what it takes to supercharge the media production of the America’s Cup?

So asks a video posted today on the official 34th America’s Cup web site, www.americascup.com, that launches the America’s Cup Video Production Competition.

Transforming the video output in a way that excites and engages the biggest ever audience is a primary goal for the 34th America’s Cup. Fresh thinking for video production is being sought from Generation Y.

The America’s Cup Video Production Competition is open to anyone so long as they’re between the ages of 18 and 28 years of age.

All that is required is a clip of any length that illustrates production techniques and exciting, new perspectives that could boost coverage of the 34th America’s Cup.

“Transforming television is the single-most important change we can make to this magnificent competition,” said Russell Coutts, CEO of BMW ORACLE Racing, winners of the 33rd America’s Cup.

Ambition is the main requirement for entry. Naturally, content must be original and 100-percent rights-cleared.

http://americascup.com/media/entry.jpg

Clips may be of any sport or activity and any combination of camerawork, editing and production.

The 28-year age limit is in place with a view to blending new talent with the best and most-experienced specialists in sports broadcasting.

“We’re looking to the next generation to help bring the screen alive,” Coutts said. “We expect this competition to open our eyes to some creative concepts that will increase the event’s appeal to younger audiences.”

A panel of extreme sports and social media leaders will review the videos. Producers of the most interesting videos posted by 12 July 2010 will be flown to Valencia, Spain, to participate in the 34th America’s Cup Media & Race Evaluation Trials slated for the end of July.

The ultimate competition winner, to be announced at the end of September, will get to choose from prizes that include a top of the range Apple MacBook Pro, installed with the latest video editing software, to a high-end, HD camera. Other finalists will receive BMW ORACLE Racing official team gear.

The competition video and details, including terms, timing and prizes, can be viewed on the official 34th America’s Cup Web site at www.americascup.com/videocompetition.

Contestants are invited to enter the competition by posting their video at http://acvideocompetition.magnify.net.

PD Staff
07-04-2010, 12:30 PM
http://kimballlivingston.com/?p=3612

The defenders of the America’s Cup today released narrower parameters for the next racing class, still keeping open the question of whether it will be monohull or multihull.

I’m happy to see a wing mast specifically permitted in the new specs for the multi, and I am only mildly surprised to see a cant-keel included in the spec for a monohull.

A canting keel is the surest route to high performance in a large monohull, and the documents released by the Golden Gate Yacht Club, through the offices of BMW Oracle Racing (still operating out of Valencia, Spain pending a venue decision) make it clear that the smallest-possible motor (“an environmentally-friendly, smart, low-emission engine or power pack”) is intended for moving the keel and appendages on the multihull. Powered winches will not be allowed. We’re back to those camera-pleasing grinders.

And I will argue that those who oppose multihulls for match racing are ignoring the lessons learned in team training in multihulls for AC 33. And the fact that the Alinghi catamaran and the BMW Oracle trimaran were, um, markedly different. And wings are cool.

The ability to race in winds of 5 knots or 30 knots remains a key element, so that broadcasters will find sailing at least as reliable as baseball (my phrasing) and, “In response to feedback from potential teams, the original concepts for both types have been scaled back from 26m (82 feet) LOA to 22m (72 feet) for tangible cost reduction.”

Some sort of “trials” are planned for Valencia in late July to evaluate (again) the relative merits for multis versus monohulls for match racing and media penetration. Meanwhile, in a move that we don’t have to interpret as long-arm’s length to still believe in a reasonable outcome, the Royal Ocean Racing Club’s Seahorse affiliate was handed the outline specs for a monohull box rule, which are now in the hands of Nick Nicholson and James Dadd for development. Box rule multihull specs went to US Sailing and Pete Melvin of Morrelli & Melvin.

Morrelli & Melvin were consultants, I believe, in the design of the USA-17 trimaran. BMW Oracle nonetheless argues that as designers they are entirely independent. If I don’t quite buy that, I also don’t buy any argument that there is a problem here.

Whether multihull or monohull, the next AC class is intended to produce boats similar to each other, for the sake of close competition. Design Coordinator Ian “Fresh” Burns said, “Unique configurations are the expensive part of the America’s Cup. We don’t want a light-air boat taking on a heavy-air boat.”

Ease of shipping is critical, because this will be a traveling roadshow till we get to the venue of AC 34 itself. The specs allow 13 crew on the monohull, 12 on the multihull. The specs further require that, in 10 knots or less true wind speed (measured at 10 m) the monohull is to go upwind at windspeed, downwind at 1.4 X windspeed; the multi is to go upwind at 1.2 X, downwind at 1.6 X.

“The objective is to publish the new America’s Cup rule by the end of September.”

And we now have a specific statement of the almost-obvious: “Intensive planning for the next edition is underway, with the 34th Cup match expected in 2013 or 2014 at a venue to be determined by the American team.”

I’d bet on 2014.

Sorry if this reads like hasty pudding, but I’m in the Mojave Desert prepping for my role as timer of the DDWFTTW quest, per my previous post. We’ll be rolling soon, so I have to figure I’ll have time later to absorb the fine points.

Details specs are worth the read, however. As in, the multihull is expected to lift the windward hull at 5 knots of true wind speed upwind, 6 knots downwind. For details read:

Multihull-Concept (http://www.americascup.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2010/07/AC34-Class-Rule-Multihull-Concept.pdf)

Canting-Monohull-Concept (http://www.americascup.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2010/07/AC34-Class-Rule-Canting-Monohull-Concept.pdf)

Photoboy
07-26-2010, 04:32 PM
http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/94863324313306310506.jpg

Pier 50 is just south of AT&T Park and is park a redevelopment project just layed out for the area

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/25308605339975113384.jpg

Two miltary Ro-Ros currently inhabit the end tie, Service Engineering inside the building

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/52568582821372915683.jpg

Service Engineering: unsure of their status

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/96603642761889258132.jpg

Lots of water front, yet lacks dock space for hauling out

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/61714540588096872311.jpg

What's behind door #3???

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/40355489435539623936.jpg
Deep water and dock space, good for mega yacht mooring!

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/33700393120523280812.jpg

The status of piers is still a question.

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/40064567141618499217.jpg

The once proud Mariposa/Hunters Point Yacht Club is a fine, fine drinking establishment and would have front row seats to all goings on at Pier 50, should they use it in any capacity!

Photoboy
07-26-2010, 04:46 PM
http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/03774222971951885155.jpg

Pier 80, near the foot of Ceasar Chavez Street, looks like the slam dunk best bet to host a complete A-Cup Village

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/58557672778256922765.jpg

Located at the corner of Marin and Illinois Street, plug these co-ordinates in your GPS now if you
are coming to AC 34 in SF!

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/99028517576030090108.jpg

Razor wire already in place to keep out Ernesto and tourists

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/92319202447540204626.jpg

A second layer reminds intruders they really aren't welcome here

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/33410596749153127074.jpg

Call now for reservations

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/15112930375072608756.jpg

Lots of building space, and dock space to host a very large working village. Drydock and barge additional.

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/42632360990206025836.jpg

More space than the new Cowboys Stadium

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/21727373475687801539.jpg

Really big hoists!

http://pressure-drop.us/imagehost/images/26198065214125862588.jpg

The north side view

IOR Geezer
08-11-2010, 08:42 PM
City working on sailing-race scenarios
By: Katie Worth
Examiner Staff Writer
August 10, 2010 The cracked and crumbling concrete parking lots in the shadow of the Bay Bridge could be transformed into a busy central hub for a 2014 America’s Cup yacht race. But in order to make that a reality, The City must bargain away the long-term development rights for the valuable property.

San Francisco’s most developed vision yet for how a race could be held in the Bay was outlined Monday night at a neighborhood meeting at the South Beach Yacht Club. The City is competing with Spain and Italy to host the race, which is considered the world’s third-largest sporting event after the Olympics and soccer’s World Cup.

Local billionaire Larry Ellison’s BMW Oracle Racing team, which sails for the Golden Gate Yacht Club, won the Cup in February and has the right to name the location and date for the next race.

The 10 or 12 racing yachts from around the world would be docked at Pier 50, just south of AT&T Park, but the central public hub for the event would be further north, at Piers 30-32 and Seawall 330, according to project manager Kyri McClellan. The piers and the seawall are currently used as parking lots on either side of The Embarcadero just south of the Bay Bridge.

Pier 50’s foundations are in good shape, but Piers 30-32 are literally crumbling and were red-tagged after the tire of a large truck punched a hole in the pier last year. Now, only small vehicles can park there and no events can be held on the grounds.

Because neither The City nor the Port of San Francisco have the money to fix the piers’ foundation, funding would need to come from a private investor. In order to make it worthwhile, San Francisco would provide them with a long-term lease and the promise that they could propose development there after it’s no longer needed for the regatta, McClellan said. That development would still need to go through an entire public hearing process, she said.

In the meantime, a temporary village would pop up on the piers, including restaurants, retail, educational facilities and space for the public to get a better look at the boats or watch the race.

The existing businesses at Pier 50 could be moved to Pier 80 or elsewhere on the waterfront, McClellan said. She said the event likely couldn’t be held before 2014.

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/City-working-on-sailing-race-scenarios-100323254.html#ixzz0wM7Bva00

PD Staff
08-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Initially, officials thought they had until the end of the year to put together a host-city proposal for the world’s oldest and largest regatta. But, they’ve been told by BMW Oracle Racing, the team with the power to choose the location for the next event, that a basic proposal is needed by the end of September, according to Kyri McClellan, a project manager in the Mayor’s Office.

That means a draft of a basic proposal — including how various properties would be used to stage the race, what resources The City could provide and how the development of a village would be funded — needs to be created and approved by the mayor and Board of Supervisors in about three weeks.

Supervisors return from recess Sept. 7, and the Mayor’s Office hopes to hand an approved document outlining the terms of agreement to billionaire Larry Ellison’s sailing team by the end of the month.

The timeline, McClellan said, is “ambitious.”

But, Board of Supervisors President David Chiu thinks it may be possible, depending on what exactly is in those terms of agreement.

“We do need to work quickly to come up with an attractive proposal that will bring the Cup — and the economic boost that goes with it — to San Francisco,” Chiu said in an e-mail. “I, of course, want to look at specific terms, but I know we will need to be creative to find the needed funds for the improvements.”

The America’s Cup is considered the world’s third-largest sporting event, after the Olympics and soccer’s World Cup. And, it’s the oldest trophy in sports. Ellison’s team won the Cup in February and now has the power to name the date, location and rules for the next race. It’s said it hopes to announce all three by the end of the year.

Ellison has said he would like to host the event in San Francisco Bay, but McClellan said The City is still competing with Valencia, Spain, which already has all the facilities for the event, and a city in Italy, which she said has offered money for the chance to host the regatta.

In a recent community meeting, McClellan laid out the basic land-use proposal being considered by her office. Piers 30-32 and Seawall 330 across from the piers would be used as the central hub of the race, and Pier 50 would act as a dock for the 10 to 12 racing yachts. The existing businesses at Pier 50 would be relocated. A developer would be granted a long-term lease and promised the chance to propose a future development at Piers 30-32 if they pay to repair the crumbling foundation.

kworth@sfexaminer.com

City’s basic plan

Piers 30-32: Temporary buildings erected for central public engagement hub, including restaurants, retail, educational areas and public space
Seawall 330: Staging and support area for race and media hub
Pier 50: Docks for racing yachts
Pier 80: Docks for support boats and some of relocated businesses from Pier 50

Source: Mayor’s Office

Racing venues

In the previous 159 years of the America’s Cup, only six cities have hosted the prestigious sailing event:

* New York
* Newport, R.I.
* Fremantle, Australia
* San Diego
* Auckland, New Zealand
* Valencia, Spain

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Race-for-Cup-speeds-up-100505409.html#ixzz0wS3LVOQk

PD Staff
11-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Initially, officials thought they had until the end of the year to put together a host-city proposal for the world’s oldest and largest regatta. But, they’ve been told by BMW Oracle Racing, the team with the power to choose the location for the next event, that a basic proposal is needed by the end of September, according to Kyri McClellan, a project manager in the Mayor’s Office.

That means a draft of a basic proposal — including how various properties would be used to stage the race, what resources The City could provide and how the development of a village would be funded — needs to be created and approved by the mayor and Board of Supervisors in about three weeks.

Supervisors return from recess Sept. 7, and the Mayor’s Office hopes to hand an approved document outlining the terms of agreement to billionaire Larry Ellison’s sailing team by the end of the month.

The timeline, McClellan said, is “ambitious.”

But, Board of Supervisors President David Chiu thinks it may be possible, depending on what exactly is in those terms of agreement.

“We do need to work quickly to come up with an attractive proposal that will bring the Cup — and the economic boost that goes with it — to San Francisco,” Chiu said in an e-mail. “I, of course, want to look at specific terms, but I know we will need to be creative to find the needed funds for the improvements.”

The America’s Cup is considered the world’s third-largest sporting event, after the Olympics and soccer’s World Cup. And, it’s the oldest trophy in sports. Ellison’s team won the Cup in February and now has the power to name the date, location and rules for the next race. It’s said it hopes to announce all three by the end of the year.

Ellison has said he would like to host the event in San Francisco Bay, but McClellan said The City is still competing with Valencia, Spain, which already has all the facilities for the event, and a city in Italy, which she said has offered money for the chance to host the regatta.

In a recent community meeting, McClellan laid out the basic land-use proposal being considered by her office. Piers 30-32 and Seawall 330 across from the piers would be used as the central hub of the race, and Pier 50 would act as a dock for the 10 to 12 racing yachts. The existing businesses at Pier 50 would be relocated. A developer would be granted a long-term lease and promised the chance to propose a future development at Piers 30-32 if they pay to repair the crumbling foundation.

kworth@sfexaminer.com

City’s basic plan

Piers 30-32: Temporary buildings erected for central public engagement hub, including restaurants, retail, educational areas and public space
Seawall 330: Staging and support area for race and media hub
Pier 50: Docks for racing yachts
Pier 80: Docks for support boats and some of relocated businesses from Pier 50

Source: Mayor’s Office

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Race-for-Cup-speeds-up-100505409.html#ixzz0wS3LVOQk

Lt. Gov.-elect Gavin Newsom, who wants a deal to bring the America's Cup regatta to San Francisco in place before he leaves his job as mayor in January, plans to introduce a binding agreement between the city and race organizers at the Board of Supervisors on Tuesday.

But this deal isn't going to please the Giants.

The world-famous yachting race needs space and piers to build boats and show them off to the public. The first proposal was to center the operations at Piers 48-50, which need costly infrastructure work. In exchange for paying to shore up the piers, the city would give up the long-term leasing rights for the site.

The Giants complained that might interfere with their plans to build in the area, a development that could include a new basketball arena or concert hall.

So Newsom started pushing for the America's Cup to be put on the northern waterfront, where the piers don't need much work.

Alas, the new deal was summarily rejected Thursday by representatives for Oracle's Larry Ellison, who, as the current cup winner, gets to make the final call.

Now Newsom has little choice but to stick to the original plan at Piers 48-50 if he hopes to get a deal done before the clock expires.

As for the Giants, they declined our request for comment, saying that they preferred to negotiate in private.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/11/08/BAFU1G7P6V.DTL#ixzz14j4gnINf

Photoboy
12-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Reminiscing of things to be...will they still?