View RSS Feed

East Coast Cruise for 2012

Exploits on the East Coast Cruising Adventure

1. New Engand Part 2

Now everyone had told us that sailing in New England was reaching along the coast with the wind abeam - did anyone ever tell you to never believe a sailor? Upwind we went towards Boston Harbor sailing along in warm temps for our anchorage at Bumpkin Island in Boston Harbor. We walked the beach and had a calm night on the anchor while watching the fireworks shoot off the barge at Hingham, June 30th and the major fireworks are already happening! The next morning, July was hot, it started hot and ...
  2. New England Part 1

Our sailing vacation is winding down, we’re on our last trips and are sailing with the schedule of a 2 week vacationer for the first time this year and I am days, almost months and miles behind on the blog. I apologize, but it’s been just too damned fun!

So we left Nantucket early in the morning after our enjoyable “where’s Libra” experience and headed off to Martha’s Vineyard for a change ...
  3. Nantucket

When I left you last, we were on our way to Nantucket from Falmouth on a hot, still and hazy day. Nantucket is a medium sized Island some distance out into the ocean, about 20 miles south of the elbow of Cape Cod. Boats must traverse through tide rip after tide rip as the strong tidal currents flow around the various shoals and islands. The transit out to Nantucket reminded me a lot of the transit down ...
  4. The Three Bay Triangle, Part III

The sun was out Friday morning and the wind looked perfect for a jib reach all the way to Cuttyhunk from Newport. We filled our tanks, water and diesel, before heading out of the harbor just as the race committee was setting up the starting area for the afternoon’s start of the offshore sleigh ride to Bermuda. We quickly had our sails up and pulling, gybed around the point and were reaching hard for the little island 20 miles away. But like every other day we’ve had, the wind just doesn’t stay ...

Updated 06-28-2012 at 05:35 AM by Ballard Sailor

Categories
  5. The Three Bay Triangle, Part II

We departed Mystic Seaport on June 10th with a forecast that looked like a good 12 knot sunny sailing day for our long coasting up to Narragansett Bay, but like all forecasts their only true somewhere else. We motored all day and as we turned the corner at Point Judith we could see the fleet of racing sailboats off of Newport competing in the New York Yacht Club’s “Annual” regatta - supposedly the longest running regatta in the United States. We weren’t ready for Newport yet so put into Dutch ...

Updated 06-28-2012 at 05:23 AM by Ballard Sailor

Categories
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast