View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Bath to Boothbay Harbor and The Back Door

Friday morning, after sleeping late and taking our time over coffee, we returned to shore. This time not to explore the museum but rather to shower and do laundry as we found the museum has free, clean facilities for traveling boaters. By 2pm we were back out to Libra and securing everything for our trip through the inside passage to Bath. One cool trek through the countryside in narrow, current and lobster ...
  2. New England Part 6

In the morning I take Mac ashore for his morning constitutional and there to greet me are two guys with golf clubs walking towards the boat ramp with 9 irons over their shoulders. Now theyre dressed like golfers not angry lobsterman so Im not too worried, just confused. There is a golf course next to the marina but what would they be doing at the boat ramp with 9 irons? Well some things are better left to speculation and I continued up the hill to walk Mac and spend some time holding and tossing ...
  3. New England Part 5

The next morning Curt came back to join us for our last short little trip into Portland, ME and there was no wind. Oh well, we motored in through the channel and found our marina - priced at our level, and immediately started cleaning the boat inside and out. A few weeks previous we decided it was time to list Libra for sale, the summer was coming on and wed spent a good bit of time sailing this boat, if someone wants it, great, if not well keep sailing along. Well someone was coming to look ...
  4. New England Part 4

Showered and tanked up we waved goodbye to New Hampshire and entered the last state of our trip, the final outpost of America on the Eastern Seaboard, Maine and the Down East. Now I cant for the life of me figure out why they call it down east. Its not down, its up north from the entire rest of the east coast. Its not east, its north of the entire rest of the east coast! Im told it has this name ...
  5. New England Part 3

Next stop was the Merrimack River with its twin towns of Newburyport and Salsbury, a Blaisdell stronghold, my wife's maiden name. We reached along the beach before striking the sails for the motor up the river. Bruce, who owned the 8 meter I sailed on, has a brother named Lloyd who had invited us to his dock up near Amesbury - a free place to tie up! Were on it, so up the river we went, through the first lift bridge, winding past the islands and rocks to the next bridge we needed open, a Swing ...
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast