• 2020 Drhream Cup Underway

94 boats set off under light conditions this Sunday from Cherbourg-en-Cotentin bound for La Trinité-sur-Mer for the third edition of the DRHEAM-CUP / GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE DE COURSE AU LARGE. In the program for the first hours of the race, a crossing of the English Channel in rather soft wind, before a descent of the English coasts downwind which promises beautiful cavalcades among all the classes.

" Good start ! » Twice, at 1 p.m. for multihulls, at 1:15 p.m. for monohulls, Jean-Gabriel Le Cléac'h, president of the race committee, pronounced this sentence eagerly awaited by all the participants of the third edition of the DRHEAM- CUP / GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE OF RACING OFFSHORE, happy to return to competition after several months working on their brakes. For this recovery, the weather had decided to be mild for boats and sailors, with a very light west-northwest flow (5 knots) which allowed spectators to attend the departure on the water of have time to admire the colorful fleet.

To the right of the line, the Multi50s, more comfortable in light weather than the Ultimes twice as large, were the quickest to make their way to the La Manche clearance buoy located 2 miles, crossed at the head by Leyton (Arthur Le Vaillant) in front of Solidaires en Peloton-ARSEP (Thibaut Vauchel-Camus) and Ciela Village (Erwan Le Roux). The trio then chose to seek salvation at the coast towards Omonville, 8 miles further.

TRACKER

For their part, the three Ultimate trimarans played the offshore card, with in order of passage to Omonville, the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild (Franck Cammas / Charles Caudrelier), Sodebo Ultim 3 (Thomas Coville) and Actual Leader (Yves Le Blevec). Two hours later, at 5 p.m., the big trimarans had already almost swallowed the Channel, on the verge of crossing the West Shambles mark!

As for monohulls, the fastest to sail west was the IRC crew title holder, Amanjiwo (Sébastien Harinkouck), followed by the Figaro, with the duo Pierre Leboucher / Benoît Mariette (Guyot Environnement) ), solo sailors Sam Goodchild (Leyton) and Armel Le Cléac'h (Banque Populaire), while on the Class40 side, Credit Mutuel (Ian Lipinski), crowned with his recent record for the tour of the British Isles, led the debate. Note two early abandonments, those of Banque du Léman (Simon Koster / Valentin Gautier) in Class40, following a waterway caused by the engine which tore from the transom, and Tuff… Tuff… Tuff (Pascal Tuffier) ​​due to an electronic problem.

The rest of the program? “Crossing the Channel will be complicated, with a front passage and the wind will weaken then turn completely northeast. There will be shots to play to arrive on the English coast then, it should be nice, from the down almost to the end, " explained Armel Le Cléac'h when leaving Port Chantereyne. Or a race which should last less than two days for the fastest, two-three days for most of the fleet expected in from Tuesday afternoon on the side of La Trinité-sur-Mer.

They said :

Armel Le Cléac'h (Banque Populaire, registered in Figaro Bénéteau 3 solitaire): “It's good to have this multi-class race which was a bit lacking in the French racing landscape and is a bit the equivalent of the Fastnet or the Sydney-Hobart. We see that the format pleases, since we are 100 boats with a lot of good sailors, it's nice to have the Figaro on the same starting line as the IRC or Class40. My goal is to navigate at the forefront, because it's when you're in front that you learn the most, and because for me, it's the last big meeting before the Solitaire du Figaro which is my big goal of the year. "

Henri Leménicier (Team Baie de Saint-Brieuc, registered in Figaro Bénéteau 3 double): “We missed the regatta so much that we are really happy to be there. We will also have incredible conditions with a lot of downwind in the wind, it's perfect for a recovery, we will have a lot of fun under spinnaker in the south of England. I form a duet with Maël Garnier, who is 19 years old and launches on the circuit. It’s his first race in Figaro Bénéteau, he plans to hit the circuit next year, so I’ll play the big brother a bit for him, he has the energy, I have the experience, we’ll try to '' go for a double podium. "

Anne Beaugé (co-skipper of Class40 Milai) : “This is our first race on the boat with Masa (Suzuki). He did the Mini-Transat at the same time as me, he offered to board with him on the Globe40 in a year (new round-the-world double by stages), this DRHEAM-CUP therefore marks the beginning of our preparation for this great common adventure. I love multi-class racing, it's really a boat party. "

Yann Marilley (No Limit, entered in Multi 2000): “We have been waiting for a while, this first race of the season, it's great to start again with the DRHEAM-CUP / GRAND PRIX DE FRANCE DE COURSE AU LARGE which is a very nice race of several days and which, icing on the cake, arrives at our place in La Trinité-sur-Mer. There will be a good match in Multi 2000, with wind, which is better for us, because we have a boat a little heavier than our friends. "

Xavier Macaire (crew member aboard Ciela Village, enrolled in Multi50): “I'm changing my support for this race, going from Figaro to Multi50 and from solo to crew, it's great to vary the pleasures. The weather is very uncertain, I who am in charge of routing, I tear my hair out a bit, because all the files give quite different conditions, especially in the Irish Sea, we will have to be good at strategy. "

Roland Jourdain (crew member aboard Everial, enrolled in Class40): “This is the first time I have raced with a skipper (Stan Thuret) and his sponsor. Lionel Garcia (boss of Everial) is someone who gets wet, literally and figuratively, he is greedy to learn, it is courageous on his part, because he still has a job nearby. I feel like it's nice for everyone to be there, it's good to see each other physically and to get back to racing. "

Bernard Fondrillon (Vasco, registered in IRC crews): “We expect a fairly complicated Channel crossing, with little wind, but as soon as we get to Shambles, we will go downwind, it will be a lot nicer and as our boat needs wind, we will be able to descend under spinnaker thoroughly. Our goal is to arrive in the first monohulls in real time. It's great to be here with stars, guys who have an incredible track record, and to share the same moments as them. It is really the great pleasure that we have to do this type of race. And we are very happy to be in Cherbourg-en-Cotentin which really has an opportunity to become one of the major poles of ocean racing. "

Henry Bomby (Leyton, registered in double IRC): "It's my first regatta of the season, it's huge to see so many boats here and all the people happy to go back to sea. It's also very good to come here for the Fastnet Race next year which will arrive in Cherbourg-en-Cotentin. We will try to win in IRC double for my first race under the colors of Leyton, in addition, we have three Leyton boats here, it's nice. "

Linky
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 2020 Drhream Cup Underway started by Photoboy View original post