• Good Luck Or Bad Luck: The Boss Takes Over 2nd Place

TRACKER

Sébastien Destremau: "The boat is now like new"

After the setbacks of yesterday and last night, Sébastien Destremau climbed up the mast to release a rope preventing him from changing sails.

“It's just a small string that broke on a mistake on my part. Everything got tangled up there and there was only one solution: climb to a height of 18 meters (at the level of the 3rd spreader), turn everything and install a new rope. A very 'bustling' climb with the residual sea from the gale of the day before yesterday. The boat was broken down for several hours under the close supervision of the Race Direction. It's nice these guardian angels on the ground. We feel safe knowing that the race management is always by our side. After several hours of effort and a few bruises, the boat is now "like new" except for the famous cardboard cabin ( editor's note, Sébastien Destremau has fitted his boat with a cardboard cap.) who took a severe blow when the line broke. The boom and the mainsail collapsed on it (200 kilos anyway). I took the road around 12:30 pm, everything is perfect. Until the next shit of course. "

Sébastien / thank you

The first news of Jérémie Beyou (Charal) - attached in video this morning ...

"It gets worse when you think about the events around us. Now, when you are a top athlete, you only live through your goal. For 4 years, I have lived with the goal of trying to win the Vendée Globe. I'm 100% in it, I don't see anything that exists around it. When it stops like that, suddenly, it's super violent. That's why I put so much time to turn around, I should probably have turned back right away, because going to cross the front with the boat in this state, inevitably it did other collateral damage but I couldn't do it. Believe. Waking up is a little hard.

A little earlier in the day, when the wind was not yet too strong, I tore off my headsail clew point return chain, it blew up the helm bulkhead ... tore up the starboard deck and then while I was inside the boat inspecting it all, I hit something with the rudder. It has half risen, I have a hole in the rudder attack and I have the rudder trailing edge which is broken. The strong wind was coming in, so it was either I turned right away, or I continued: we decided with the team that the rudder was going to hold the front and I managed to scramble a sheet. The front has passed, it has passed very quickly. We went from 45 knots on one side to 45 knots on the other. I jibed, I took the runner-up and with all the carbon shards it blew up the runner-up current, I found myself without a runner-up. I had just broken my aerial just a few hours before. The runner-up was the last thing. I had to shoot down and then head back.

There is still sea there, I'm downwind in about fifteen knots with the sea behind so it's fine. On the other side, on the port tack, the rudder is starting to be badly damaged, I can't go very fast. I expect to arrive on the morning of the 14th. For the rest I don't know… The rudder maybe changed, the listening bar and the partition, I admit that I don't really know. Honestly, I'm waking up from 4 years of preparation to try to win the Vendée and that's it. My dad went to the hospital, he had a stroke a week before leaving, I completely overlooked that. Obviously there, it bursts a bit in my face.

There, I bring the boat back and I'll see after. I don't know, I don't know to go back. "

Today, between the fate of Alex Thomson and that of Jérémie Beyou, there is a world. The first sees his dreams of victory slip away. The second is in the lead. Competitors on the water, the solo sailors of the Vendée Globe are also brothers in arms, united in evil. In the northeast of the Azores, as the fleet sped downwind to meet a large tropical depression, the U-turn of one of the race's favorites cast a shadow over the board.

Jérémie Beyou stunned

“ I wake up from 4 years of preparation to try to win the Vendée and that's it (…) Obviously there, it breaks me a bit in the face. There, I bring the boat back and I'll see after. I don't know if I could go back. "It is a Jérémie Beyou struck by the disappointment which was expressed this morning in video. Downwind, port side amûre - to preserve the rig without starboard backstay -, the black boat travels in reverse the path taken to the outward journey. A heartbreak for this great favorite and this great competitor driven by the desire to win the race. Charal should arrive in the port of Les Sables d'Olonne on Saturday morning. Damage assessment (see the skipper's explanations more bas) will start from then on. Jeremy does not yet know if he will be able to go to sea again. He has until Wednesday November 18 2:20 pm to cross the starting line again. " None of us wish anyone what happens to Jeremy. Declared the new leader Alex Thomson.

Thomson in the lead, Le Cam in great shape

While Jérémie Beyou continues his Stations of the Cross towards the port of departure, the fleet continues to progress under the influence of a weak depression located in the northeast of the Azores. An unprecedented situation on a Vendée Globe, the Portuguese archipelago is on the path of sailors who will certainly see the lights of Sao Miguel or Santa Maria tonight. Will some pass between these two islands? A priori, it will be more a question of jibing in this downwind to ward off the winds, but who knows if LinkedOut and Apivia will not play cat and mouse between the rocky islets of Formigas?

North of the map, these two have been an inseparable duo since they crossed paths last night, followed at a distance by PRB. About forty miles downwind, the black bow of HUGO BOSS took control of the race this afternoon. “ Busy, crazy night for all of us: a crazy and intense night for all of us. We spent our time jibing and changing sails, ”Alex Thomson told the radio session this Thursday morning. " We're all tired, I have to go to sleep because it's very easy to do something stupid ". The Briton hasn't done much so far. CORUM-L'Epargne, Initiatives-Cœur and ARKEA-Paprec have aligned themselves along its path. But the Dalin and Thomson groups, shifted to the west of the depression, did not benefit from the strongest wind this evening. The situation continues to benefit men from the East, starting with Jean Le Cam a very fit, new boss IMOCA drift and 2 e in the standings 15:00!

DIY day

The weather situation and the obligation to approach the depressions from the right side (from the North then the West in order to be able to slide downwind) is forcing the fleet to line up. Deviations in longitude are turning into deviations in latitude and more than 300 miles now separate the former from the latter. At the back of the pack, apart from Fabrice Amedeo who flirts with the coasts of northern Spain, Sébastien Destremau has lived through stormy hours. That night, he fell asleep and spent several hours asleep inside the boat, opposite to the road. He then spent his day tinkering on the deck and climbing the mast to untangle twisted halyards. The list of technical issues grows longer as sailors check the condition of their mounts. Maxime Sorel also climbed the mast to retrieve a halyard. Same penalty for Louis Burton who, in addition to his ascent, had to mop up liters of oil (coming from his keel cylinder) spilled inside his boat before grabbing the grinder to repair a small crack on a partition.

Ensuring the condition of the equipment is essential. Because tomorrow morning, it will be necessary to tackle the big tropical depression which bars their way.

Theta 29 th tropical depression of the year

It is at the center of the concerns of sailors. It's a big red ball placed in the middle of the map. A cannon ball. The solitary ones will have to follow its curvature, from the west, touching from afar its generous forms. Those who rub it too closely could be severely punished. Because this subtropical depression conceals within it winds of 50 to 60 knots and makes rise liquid hills of 6 meters. It's Theta. And this is the 29 thtropical depression of the year, a record since we have never observed so many phenomena of this type in previous years. For the record, tropical and subtropical depressions are named after the letters of the alphabet. First 21 letters from the Latin alphabet, then, when all are exhausted, we move on to the Greek alphabet. Theta is the 8 th .

The editor of the Vendée Globe / C. El

On-board message sent by Pip Hare (Medallia) this morning, Thursday 12 November.

"Everything is going well on Medallia, we currently have 10 knots of wind, flat seas, and spent the whole night fighting La Mie Câline - Artisans Artipôle , which finally took the upper hand about 30 minutes ago.

Yesterday was difficult, I didn't stop. I had up to 50 knots around 7 am yesterday morning, the change was brutal. The state of the sea after the front was horrible. It takes about an hour to empty the ballast from the bow of Medallia . The waves were big, they were breaking coming from strange angles, but we got through them all. We didn't have enough canvas and we had too much weight up front - which meant every time I tried to do anything on the deck I was constantly dealing with huge walls of 'water. They also filled the cockpit on several occasions.

I didn't stop, I went from three reefs to a full mainsail while watching the sail climb slowly up the mast (at the column, I was set in "grandmother" mode) and promising myself tea and a rest when it was all over. But it never seemed finished, moving the piles, emptying the ballast, emptying the bow… Then all the damage checks after 50 knots in the bow…

We did quite well. I have some damage on the furling pad, which is superficial, the rope of the J3 is damaged, I will have to sew today. There were some weird noises coming from the back of the boat and I discovered that one of the rudder quadrants had loosened, so I had to get on with it. I think it will be a weekly job, we had similar problems in the Transat Jacques Vabre, and Alan told me he had the same.

The ballast is leaking which is disappointing but ok, it's just more work for me. We really thought we fixed the leaks before the start, but apparently it always leaked, even Bernard Stamn said it was leaking.

Finally, when everything was checked and changed, and the boat was again in a good configuration for the conditions, I settled down to sleep. I activated my AIS alarm because La Mie Câline - Artisans Artipôle was behind me and on a collision course. We fought all night and I had the opportunity to take a few naps. In fact, I was pretty happy when Arnaud finally passed me - I mean it's great to fight with a foiler - but I really needed to sleep.

Today the breeze will pick up and I expect the jib to come off any minute. I have a full list of sewing and splicing jobs to do. I need to sleep and eat more.

I have taken note of the warnings regarding Tropical Depression Theta. She's right on our way. The trickier thing will be to negotiate what will happen next because it seems to have sucked all the wind from the surrounding areas. "

Pip / Medallia

This article was originally published in forum thread: 2020-2021 Vendee Globe PD Coverage Central started by Photoboy View original post