• Race Reports RSS Feed

Published on 03-24-2017 09:13 AM
    Article Preview

Most of last night I had winds of 10 knots so I decided to keep the No 1 jib out and the full main sail even though I was looking at going to bed. I did end up setting a wind alarm on the B and G display to let me know if the winds were over 17 knots. This is the upper wind range of my no 1 head sail so I wanted to make sure that I would ...
    Published on 03-24-2017 09:00 AM
    Article Preview

Perth, Australia (March 24th, 2017) – Local skipper Matt Jerwood certainly overplayed the anxiety card on his way to becoming the third Western Australian skipper to make it through to the semi-finals of Match Cup Australia, the first event on the 2017 World Match Racing Tour.

Earlier in the day David Gilmour had gone through 3 – 1 against US Virgin Islander Taylor Canfield, ...
    Published on 03-21-2017 10:57 AM
    Article Preview

The 2016-2017 Vendée Globe, a hugely popular event and media success

The results of the 2016-2017 Vendée Globe show huge increases everywhere: many more people attending the event, unprecedented media coverage and feedback, a record level of international coverage without talking about the very positive race outcome in terms of the rankings. With 29 skippers lining up, 18 were ranked, which is a record number in the history of the Vendée Globe

With 29 skippers setting sail and 10 nations represented, the 8th Vendée Globe offered a wide range of projects, showing once again the increasing interest of the general public for a race, which brings together sporting performance, technological challenge and human endeavour. This Vendée Globe DNA has over thirty years contributed to the legend of the event.

In terms of visitor numbers, the last Vendée Globe beat all the records, with 2,250,000 visitors attending (1.5 ...
    Published on 03-21-2017 09:02 AM
    Article Preview

Vestas 11th Hour Racing launch Volvo Ocean Race campaign with sustainability message

Vestas are returning to the Volvo Ocean Race for a second consecutive edition, after launching their 2017-18 campaign in partnership with 11th Hour Racing at simultaneous events in Newport, Rhode Island and Aarhus – where it was also announced that the fleet will make a 'fly by' of the Danish city on the final leg ...
    Published on 03-20-2017 09:09 AM
    Article Preview

Since we last check in on Lisa, she has sailed past Cape Horn,
    and is currently dealing with water ingress as she makes her way around Antarctica in her Open 50' Climate Action Now

"Last night was by far the coldest of the trip to date... Burr... It was so cold that when I went to bite into a mini mars bar I almost broke my ...
    Published on 03-20-2017 08:57 AM
    Article Preview

We were lucky to escape the clutches of a tricky start line as the combination a building flood, inconsistent wind, RC postponements and a cluster of late starters all conspired to ensnare us before we could get away, yet somehow we managed to separate from ...
    Published on 03-19-2017 06:21 PM
    Article Preview

Saturdays revamped BAMA Double Handed Farallones race featured more choices on course options, 80 boats registered,
    light wind, medium winds flat seas and a start that can only be described as organized chaos. With light wind at the 08:00 start
    and an unexpectedly strong flood right along the shoreline, officials postponed the original start, ...
    Published on 03-18-2017 12:09 PM
    Article Preview

The pursuit classes at the Bucket enjoyed mild conditions today for their kick-off race in St. Barths, with mostly 15-16 knots of breezes and a manageable sea state prevailing on a 19.5 - 23.9 nm course that circled the island in a counter-clockwise direction. WinWin, Ganesha, Wisp, Perseus^3, and Q were all winners today, giving them a leg up on three races scheduled for each ...
    Published on 03-17-2017 12:00 PM
    Article Preview

A Good Day to be an Old J: Velsheda Tops her Newer Counterparts

Velsheda’s clean, smart start at the race committee end of the line this morning foreshadowed her brilliant performance to come over the rest of the race and the day, as the J Class started its Bucket Regatta series and chalked up two windward-leeward (twice around) races in a testing breeze of 15-22 knots. Winning the J Class’s Kings Hundred Guinea Cup, a coveted trophy ...
    Published on 03-16-2017 04:45 PM
    Article Preview

By Danny Boyle & Olivia Rudgard / THe Telegraph

British deckhand, 18, dies after falling from mast of luxury yacht she was cleaning 'when ropes came undone'.

A British teenager has died after falling from the mast of a luxury yacht she was cleaning in Jamaica when the ropes are said to have come undone. ...
    Published on 03-16-2017 02:52 PM
    Article Preview

San Francisco Baykeeper helped craft newly proposed state legislation that would change dredged mud from a waste product to a resource for restoring the Bay’s dwindling wetlands. Building up wetlands ...
    Published on 03-16-2017 09:43 AM
    Article Preview

Grand Illusion
    Santa Cruz 70 - 97
    Speed: 9.7 knots @ 76.16°
    Skipper: James McDowell
    Owner: Edward McDowell
    Position at: 16 Mar 2017 09:33 -07:00
    Lat/Lon: 22° 52.17 N, 109° 56.33 W
    DTF: Finished ...
    Published on 03-16-2017 09:26 AM
    Article Preview

Top female sailors Carolijn Brouwer and Marie Riou join Dongfeng Race Team for Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18

Dongfeng Race Team have selected Carolijn Brouwer and Marie Riou for their Volvo Ocean Race campaign in 2017-18 – a move that confirms the impact of a rule change introduced by the race to encourage mixed male-female crews

Dongfeng Race Team have selected Carolijn Brouwer and Marie Riou for their Volvo Ocean Race campaign in 2017-18 – a move that ...
    Published on 03-16-2017 08:05 AM
    Article Preview

TRACKER

The two sleds, Edward McDowells Grand Illusion and Brack Duker's Holua are dashing towards the finish and are less than 2 hours away
    from the finish, meanwhile Zephyrus and Mighty Merloe wrapped ...