• Ocean/International RSS Feed

Published on 04-25-2017 09:39 AM
    Article Preview

Segel Reporter reports on
    a crazy 11 Day crossing of the Atlantic on a 20' Catamaran

Vittorio Malingri (56) and Nico Malingri (26) have now also won the best time on the big pond after their Mediterranean record .

The Italian father-son team Malingri has broken the long-distance record for Beach Cats under 6.50 meters on the route Dakar - Point-a-Pitre (Guadeloupe) with his 6.05 meter long Formula 20 catamaran ...
    Published on 04-20-2017 08:35 AM
    Article Preview

The core crew of Vesta's 11th Hour Racing departed Lisbon yesterday with a crew of hopefuls, headed to
    Newport, Rhode Island, as part of their qualifying requirements and crew vetting exercise.

They may be the most recent team to announce, but Vestas 11th ...
    Published on 04-12-2017 04:24 PM
    Article Preview

The UK’s Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) has published its final report into the two fatal accidents which occurred in the Clipper 2015-16 Race, the first in our 20 year history.

The report highlights that the first fatality was a direct consequence of crew member Andrew Ashman entering the cockpit danger zone, where they were struck by the mainsheet on the boom when ...
    Published on 04-12-2017 08:47 AM
    Article Preview

Meet the man behind the next generation One Design

Guillaume Verdier is working on plans for the next generation Volvo Ocean Race One Design – and the final decision on monohull vs. multihull is now just weeks away...

Verdier and his team of designers will be working alongside a Volvo Ocean Race Advisory Board, featuring race veterans and team directors.

Published on 04-07-2017 09:26 AM
    Article Preview

Well after my dismasting I have spent the last 2 days motoring North towards Cape Town trying to collect myself and to intercept Hong Kong container ship M/V Far Eastern Mercury who had been diverted by Maritime Rescue Coordination Center Cape Town (MRCC Cape Town) when I had issued a Pan Pan during my dismasting. The plan was for the container ship to give me fuel and any other supplies I may need to safely make my way to Cape Town. ...
    Published on 04-06-2017 09:53 AM
    Article Preview

- France’s Guillaume Verdier to lead new design project for 14th edition, with Persico Marine selected as lead boatbuilder

- Monohull-multihull question to be resolved in coming weeks

- New boat is part of radical shake-up of race to be announced 18 May, in Volvo’s home town of Gothenburg, Sweden

While final preparations and team announcements continue ...
    Published on 04-05-2017 04:48 PM
    Article Preview

Morning All,

Well what a long 48 hours it has been and a heart breaking one as well.

On April the 3rd the day was for me finishing like any other. It was 1.30 in the afternoon and I had completed the blog for the day and eaten a hot meal and went to bed. The conditions were 35-40 knots from the NW with a large messy sea of 7-9 meters. My barometer had finally stopped falling and was at 988 mb. I was in the peak of this little blow sailing with my storm jib up and the no 3 reef in the main sail. Remember that the third ...
    Published on 04-05-2017 09:23 AM
    Article Preview

Lisa Blair checks in, the day after suffering a major rig reduction issue.
    She has clean up the aftermath and is currently motoring towards Cape ...
    Published on 04-04-2017 09:18 AM

It's time for our big reveal! How do you like the look of this VO65? It's almost time for Vestas 11th Hour Racing to ...
    Published on 04-03-2017 02:19 PM
    Article Preview

TRACKERS

MEDIA RELEASE: Australian Sailor Lisa Blair dismasted 895nm south of Cape Town
    0300 AST Tuesday 4 April 2017 (1900 SAST)
    048:38:384 S 022:31:430 ...
    Published on 04-03-2017 12:06 PM
    Article Preview

MAPFRE will be back sailing in just over two weeks, with a new rig already on its way and the team eager to get back in training following the dismasting of their Volvo Ocean 65 on Thursday.

The crew have been meeting with Volvo Ocean Race's Chief Technical ...
    Published on 03-30-2017 05:12 PM
    Article Preview

MAPFRE's boat dismasts during offshore testing in Spain
    There are no injuries and the boat and team have returned to their base in Sanxenxo

MAPFRE's boat dismasted today during offshore testing in Spain.
    The incident happened at 17:15hrs local time on*Thursday afternoon ...
    Published on 03-27-2017 08:03 AM
    Article Preview

Evening All,

Well in the early hours of the morning the storm started to abate but the swell continued to build until I was rocking and rolling in 6-7 meter waves. I ended up going to bed around 8am and by that stage the winds were averaging 20 knots from ...
    Published on 03-24-2017 09:13 AM
    Article Preview

Most of last night I had winds of 10 knots so I decided to keep the No 1 jib out and the full main sail even though I was looking at going to bed. I did end up setting a wind alarm on the B and G display to let me know if the winds were over 17 knots. This is the upper wind range of my no 1 head sail so I wanted to make sure that I would ...
    Published on 03-21-2017 10:57 AM
    Article Preview

The 2016-2017 Vendée Globe, a hugely popular event and media success

The results of the 2016-2017 Vendée Globe show huge increases everywhere: many more people attending the event, unprecedented media coverage and feedback, a record level of international coverage without talking about the very positive race outcome in terms of the rankings. With 29 skippers lining up, 18 were ranked, which is a record number in the history of the Vendée Globe

With 29 skippers setting sail and 10 nations represented, the 8th Vendée Globe offered a wide range of projects, showing once again the increasing interest of the general public for a race, which brings together sporting performance, technological challenge and human endeavour. This Vendée Globe DNA has over thirty years contributed to the legend of the event.

In terms of visitor numbers, the last Vendée Globe beat all the records, with 2,250,000 visitors attending (1.5 ...
    Published on 03-21-2017 09:02 AM
    Article Preview

Vestas 11th Hour Racing launch Volvo Ocean Race campaign with sustainability message

Vestas are returning to the Volvo Ocean Race for a second consecutive edition, after launching their 2017-18 campaign in partnership with 11th Hour Racing at simultaneous events in Newport, Rhode Island and Aarhus – where it was also announced that the fleet will make a 'fly by' of the Danish city on the final leg ...
    Published on 03-20-2017 09:09 AM
    Article Preview

Since we last check in on Lisa, she has sailed past Cape Horn,
    and is currently dealing with water ingress as she makes her way around Antarctica in her Open 50' Climate Action Now

"Last night was by far the coldest of the trip to date... Burr... It was so cold that when I went to bite into a mini mars bar I almost broke my ...
    Published on 03-16-2017 09:26 AM
    Article Preview

Top female sailors Carolijn Brouwer and Marie Riou join Dongfeng Race Team for Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18

Dongfeng Race Team have selected Carolijn Brouwer and Marie Riou for their Volvo Ocean Race campaign in 2017-18 – a move that confirms the impact of a rule change introduced by the race to encourage mixed male-female crews

Dongfeng Race Team have selected Carolijn Brouwer and Marie Riou for their Volvo Ocean Race campaign in 2017-18 – a move that ...
    Published on 03-10-2017 08:59 PM
    Article Preview

Sébastien Destremau takes 18th place to bring the Vendée Globe to a close

Sébastien Destremau (TechnoFirst–faceOcean) crossed the Vendée Globe finish line off Les Sables d'Olonne in eighteenth place at 00hrs 40min et 18 sec UTC on saturday 11th March 2017 after 124 days, 12 hours, 38 minutes and ...
    Published on 03-10-2017 09:18 AM
    Article Preview

Sébastien Destremau to cross the line this evening and to enter the harbour tomorrow afternoon

Sébastien Destremau is less than fifty ...