Quantum Sails

RBS Battens

North Sails

Pacific Rigging

Jan's Marine Photgraphy

H2oshots.com

Advertise with US

• SF NOOD - The Good, The Bad, and the Really Ugly

The Wicked Enema Transducer Aparatus aka WETA takes on the anchor rode of the pin end boat

Ferry Nice, or not... plowing through the fleet on the City Front Course

Did you say wrap?

The 2011 SF NOOD is a wrap. For only two days, fleets from Weta's to J/24's competed on three different courses for Sailing World's second consecutive event after a long layoff hosted by the St Francis Yacht Club.

The Good

Of course you have to start with just being on the water, because the worst day sailing is better than the best day working. Also racing in "real" bay conditions. So much of this year has been abnormal it was nice to finally get a weekend in where you never pull out anything but a #3. And let's not forget watching the yard sales! Finally, the return of Eclipse. As some know, the PNW's Brad Butler and his boat Eclipse pretty much dominated, or at the least never left the podium, the Moore Roadmaster for several years. The boat was sold in favor of his other Moore and a major (on a scale of 1-10 it was an 11 major) refit was performed and this became the 8 Ball. She was then sold to former Tortuga owner Bill Erkelens who has once again returned the name. Lots of smiles in the fleet over that move I can assure you.

Brad Coopers TNT in the lead of the IRC Fleet, but isn't this a One Design Regatta?

Going slow is a drag, which had nothing to do with other festivities on the other side of town

The Bad
    Let's just say I won't beat the dead horse on USSailing and SW and their NOOD modus operundi...we all know it and we all pretty much agree it is far from ideal. With that said, balancing the fleets entered on to 3 courses felt lopsided. We never saw the likes of the lasers or cats as we ended up down on the circle with 105's, F-24's, Express 27's and J/24's. Beating from the circle back to the club was an hour and a half for those unlucky ones who choose to do it The majority of our fleet said no thanks to that and sailed the 30 minutes back to RYC. Either way, you ended up with maybe an hour of free booze and food, music outdated (We pulled up in the Grady White "Pretender" to Motley Crue...oh brother) being played so loud you had to scream or leave the tent to talk, and booths with cold, wind blown out-of-towner's hawking their topsiders and other over priced blue blazer apparel. And the last day when no starts were to occur after 3 PM and the second race was the last race and started at 1:00. The whole thing screams of a giant money grab, name in lights, wank fest. It was a step above the keg on the dock but the way SW comes in and takes over leaving the host club and it's people as yes men makes most scratch their heads and wonder. In the end, if they were helped to realize the revenue loss by the host club I'm sure they'd make an effort top have people closer by but then would it really be better for anyone but them in the end? I guess I'm just over the whole NOOD thing after years and years of the same ol thing.

The fishing boat which nearly drifted into the offset mark just as the Coarsairs and J-105's
    arrived neary got VERY ugly

Nothing ugly about it "Blown Away" smoking to the weather mark in race 2 on the Bezerkely Circle

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

The "Circle of Pain" makes for some real nice images, the ride back to the YC afterwards,
    that's a different story.

The Really Ugly
    We weren't even supposed to be there to start with. I knew in Mid May while in a blizzard in So Lake Tahoe that Huntington Lake was probably not going to fly. All of our efforts to honor Joel Verutti at the Second Annual Verutti Cup and defacto PCC Championship at the place he loved so much was now being controlled by mother nature. A call to the lodge confirmed our fears, snow above the toilets in the lot and the lake too low with no hopes of it being raised until July. So with one of our board members on the St Francis board we quickly determined the NOOD to be the easiest PCC replacement and hoped for the best. What we got should have been expected but was far from ideal, sharing the course with drastically different boats like 105's and Corsairs proved interesting in a "got to go get a route canal done" way. Three races Saturday and two on Sunday also left a somewhat hollow feeling as our championship events are typically three days long and at the least seven races. But sixteen boats showed and made a go at it in the 20+ and chop down on the circle. Where the really ugly comes in was our performance. It has been a long time, almost too long to remember that we were so out of pace with the top of A fleet. Eighty pounds under weight in a full breeze contest doesn't help one bit but we frankly could not find a way to do ourselves any favors. We'd fall out of phase too easily, get out of gear and not get back quick enough, too much head in the boat, not enough foresight on course management irt other fleets; you name the negative sailing euphamism we did it. All except wipe outs, luckily even on our worst days we don't seem to have that problem. But honestly, it was one of the ugliest weekends of on the water performance that I can remember in a very long time. One where the drive home is painful where you lay in bed awake searching for an answer (beyond the obvious weight thing) and just can't find one. A day later it doesn't bother me so bad, we've found some answers as to our performance and know no matter what, the fun of it all keeps us coming back for moore.

Results
  • Right Side Sponsors

Pacific Rigging

North Sails

NorCalSailing

H2oshots.com

Quantum Sails

RBS Battens

Advertise with US