• 3 Boats Now In HanaLei

Gregory Ashby's Wilderness 30' Nightmare and David Clark's Olson 30' have joined
    Phillipe Jamotte's Olson 30' Double Espresso at anchor in Hanalei Bay as the 1st 3 boats
    to complete the 2018 Single Handed Transpac. As of this writing, Double Espresso maintains
    the lead on corrected time. Unclear if any of the higher raters can knock him off his perch at this point.

Crinan II is next boat expected in, followed by Rainbow

TRACKER

News From The Fleet:

The parties in Mike’s head
    another morning of sailing dead down wind. its a little challenging because my boat begins to dislike the full main at about 21 kts tws depending a bit on sea state. last night i was humming along with full main 20 kts reasonable sea state good boat speed so decided to get some sack time. rude awakening sometime later with my tws alarm going off, the boat jumping and complaining and me sitting there in the bunk thinking “remind me where i am again” answer, you are in a sailboat about to do another reef Mr. Cunningham…NOW WOULD BE GOOD! You untangled those reefing lines earlier right? Sir, yes Sir. by now you may be wondering how many actual people are on the boat. well there’s Mr. Yellowcoat protecting the forward cabin, a Marine Drill Instructor kicking my ass, and a bunch of talking chipmunks who get pretty chatty when i get short on sleep. i also continue to be on board and am, in fact, doing all the work. rcvs 9:38am PDT 7/6

Mike Chamberlain
    Freedom 30
    Jacgueline

Fugu still has power!

Saw Riff Rider today he had AP broken the last two days! I’d been feeling sorry one of my solar panels failed and i had been hand steering to nurse amp hours

Sun today! First in a week so battery are full this evening happy times! Also first warm day thought warm would not wait till 400 miles off the islands to be

Chris Case
    Wilderness 30
    FUGU

“It’s pretty nice out here” says Dolfin Bill
    I can’t tell you how wonderful it is out here today because that might jinx us. So I won’t mention the warm, steady trades blowing 15-20, the seas smoothing as the cross swell diminishes, the beginning of puffy tradewind clouds, the vast expanse of the sea all around with no hint of the distant civilization over the horizon, just the soft moan of the wind, the sound of breaking waves and of clear blue seas rushing past Dolfin”s hull. I can’t tell you any of this because then Mother Nature might take it away.

But I can tell you is it’s pretty nice out here.

DolfinBill

Mike and his AP

i have had an interesting voyage of discovery with my ray ev1 AP. the pilot has three settings: performance, cruising and leisure. i have found them more like Chihuahua on drugs, Chihuahua on less drugs and “the dude”. the Chihuahuas consume power like crazy and steer downwind as their name implies, whacky and somewhat demented. they do stuff, you just go….what??? “the dude” however is perfect downwind. just like you would expect after a few White Russians. i wish i had discovered “the dude”three days ago.

Sir! Yes Sir!
    another morning of sailing dead down wind. its a little challenging because my boat begins to dislike the full main at about 21 kts tws depending a bit on sea state. last night i was humming along with full main 20 kts reasonable sea state good boat speed so decided to get some sack time. rude awakening sometime later with my tws alarm going off, the boat jumping and complaining and me sitting there in the bunk thinking “remind me where i am again” answer, you are in a sailboat about to do another reef Mr. Cunningham…NOW WOULD BE GOOD!
    You untangled those reefing lines earlier right? Sir, yes Sir.

by now you may be wondering how many actual people are on the boat. well there’s Mr. Yellowcoat protecting the forward cabin, a Marine Drill Instructor kicking my ass, and a bunch of talking chipmunks who get pretty chatty when i get short on sleep. i also continue to be on board and am, in fact, doing all the work.

Mike Chamberlain
    Freedom 30
    Jacgueline
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 2018 SSS Single Handed Transpac started by Photoboy View original post