• 44' Catamaran Arne Givika Sinking A Close Call

    As reported yesterday by one of the Norwegian newspapers, on the night of 6 September near Morocco, there was a breach and sank a sailing 44-foot catamaran with the Norwegian crew. People are safely saved. The newspaper brings the story of the captain of the yacht Arne Givika:

    "The deceased yacht was just bought by a 44-foot catamaran that I was planning to move from Tenerife to Trondheim.

    Before we went out to the sea, me and two of my friends carefully examined the boat. She seems to be in good condition, and we are out of Lanzarote on agadir in North Africa.

    In the afternoon of the fifth of September, we went out to the sea from agadir already with a passenger on board, holding a course on Casablanca. Meteosvodka predicted fresh wind. But at the exit of agadir, there was a good weather and a calm sea.

    After five or six hours of move, we saw the deterioration of the state of the sea. At night, a strong wind went up, high waves went up.

    At three o'clock in the morning, I woke up from the response launch alarm and quickly realized we had a flow in the hull. I checked the left hull, but he was fine. In The right hull, however, the water was standing almost knee-deep. When I opened the door to head, there was a big breach, and the water was pounding on me.

    I tried to close the hole with a pillow from the couch, but it was useless. The pillow disappeared through the hole in the sea. The breach was probably received when the yacht collided with something in the water - but because of the wind and the excitement on board was so noisy that we didn't hear or feel the blow.

    Despite the work of electric and hand pump, the water came so fast, it became clear -we will have to leave the boat . We put on rescue vests and called for help. Waiting for the rescuers we sat on the left hull, it was getting cold, but the water temperature was fortunately high enough.

    At 11 am, we were approached by Moroccan Navy Rescuers. They pulled us one on a rescue boat. The journey to the shore took about two and a half hours. Here we received dry clothes, food and opportunity to call home before being sent to the hotel.

    The authorities met us at the hotel the next day to see if we needed anything. They helped us call a taxi that took us to the consulate. We are very grateful to them for how we were met in Morocco and helped us.