• Jean-Luc Van Den Heede To Carry On

Here is the retranscription of the message of Jean-Luc Van Den Heede recovered thanks to the radio-amateurs network and the Terre & Mer collective : #GGR2018

"I had plenty of time to think about my situation during these four days of escaping the storm (220 miles lost to the North)." My mast is now extremely precarious due to my capsize. If I stop to make a repair, it will be only temporary. For Matmut to continue sailing, it will need more or less long to change to a new mast.

So I decided, to save my soul (dixit Moitessier), to continue my route non-stop and head for Les Sables d'Olonne.

As soon as the sea will allow it I will climb in the mast to secure it as best as possible with what I can use onboard. If I get dismasted, I have like all competitors a jury rig that will allow me to reach a port in full autonomy. I am no longer in racing mode but in safe mode. This is not the first time I will attempt to bring home a damaged boat. And if by miracle I get to Les Sables d'Olonne, I do not care about the ranking, at least I will have tried. I cross my fingers and thank all those who help me in this adventure.

The message has been transmitted thanks to the network of radio amateurs and the Collectif Terre et Mer, which is our only way of communicating with the earth and providing all the competitors with weather situations. I thank them warmly".

Signed: JLVDH.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Golden Globe Race Ushers In July started by Photoboy View original post