• Boris Makes A Bold Move

    LAST NIGHTS UPDATE 8:30pm 08/11/18: Boris is now in 1st but he sent us this update last night.
    Now I am sitting here taking my ďaperoĒ alone. A beer and bel cheese with crackers. I try not to think about the race for 20 minutes. I feel itís important to refresh my mind starting to be quite tired. A moment of mental recuperation after the stressful first days.

    A long swell is pushing us like a very deep breath and then almost stopping us. This is the rhythm of my day. Maybe 4-5 meters but the swell is very long. Not ideal on my upwindcourse as it lowers significantly the average speed. But for my evening beer itís impressive to see and I try to enjoy. The sunset is fast. When I started this text it was just starting. Now the horizon is purple and grey. As I sail south I canít see the sunset itself. Itís hidden by the high side of Malizia heeling over to the east and no view to the west. I look out to the northeast from my Veranda cockpit. Rapidly I feel also the temperature dropping. Big amplitude between day and night.
    Yesterdayís j3 tack breakage is still stuck in my bones. My mind less innocent, always looking up to the mast and sails as if I got weakened in my confidence. Maybe also because I am pushing Malizia hard. J2 and one reef at 22-24 knots wind from 65 degrees.

    I miss my companions sitting here with me usually on all our other trips. I think thankfully about my teammates. Canít wait to find them again in Guadeloupe. Itís often hard to disconnect the senses from the boat and stop sailing in the brain to sleep. I then try to picture Malizia gliding quietly along on perfect flat water. I try to picture my arrival in Guadeloupe reunited with my friends. Still not easy to sleep. The wind is so unstable that I canít relax. The boat is soaking and suffering and so I am. Basically since the start. In that sense it can only get better.

    24 hr ago I was highly stressed. Had just managed to repair and tryout the j3 when I got hit by a series of squalls. Some up to 43 knots. My god what a stress. Each time you think if you should furl the j3. And then suddenly the wind is back to normal. Later at night we started slamming so hard that it became impossible to live on board. I couldnít sit anywhere or stand. I had the choice to go to delivery mode or to keep racing. But the only place to exist is the bunk, ideally asleep. I think I managed to sleep some but maybe only minutes. I had to press hard with my legs against the bulkhead to prevent sliding forward in every wave. Each gust I lift my head and observe the instruments under tension. Made some good miles that night and this morning second place.
    Our little moment of glory. Very conscious that this is not likely to remain. But why not enjoy as we are here today!

    It all depends on the high pressure and ridge situation. A cold front is pushing from the west and helping to develop a new high. The models say I would be in the perfect timing to just take advantage and slide through but it remains highly uncertain. The formation of a new high is less accurate in the predictions than a big system. Now I need a big chunk of luck to still be in the race next Monday when I will have finally reached the trade winds.
    Besides endless studies of routes and models there is now the factor of destiny. It will happen as it will. I am in my special west position away from the fleet and canít correct this anymore.

    I will try to proceed my route directly ssw. I try not to tack back up to the Azures as I initially thought. I am so tired of the slamming and stronger winds expected up there. The routing gains are marginal. So I prefer to continue my path here to the south west in the quest for some flat sea where Malizia can glide along effortlessly and in all harmony and safety without suffering and slamming. I remember those moments in the se trades with Thomas exactly one year ago in the Transat Jacques Vabre. I remember how impressed Thomas was with our downwind speed.

    I had planned to stay with the pack for this race but with a long full stop inside the secondary low just after the race start on Monday I started the race from far behind. I could see Paul and Vincent sailing away at 15 knots speed while i was stuck at 2 knots. For hours. And hours. Like Yann but then he found the wind and left, I kept rolling around with flapping sails. That was the verdict on Malizia just then on day one. Just hours later I got out and no one was on the AIS any more. I was in my own race. Lonely. Itís so much nicer to race direct opponents. At least we got our day of glory on the tracker here today and some hope for the future. Iíll keep pushing as hard as possible and especially try to be smart with every opportunity laid out. I will try to share as best and enjoy. I have learned a lot already for the vendee but I donít want call it yet just that. The race is still long and I will give it all. I want to see Malizia glide along over the finish line in about 8 days. Team Malizia - Yacht Club De Monaco Route du Rhum - Destination Guadeloupe
    This article was originally published in forum thread: A Record Number Of Single Handed Rum Runners started by Photoboy View original post