• SF Bays Entree To R2AK : Team Shut Up And Drive

Meet The Team

NATHALIE CRIOU

Nat is the team's scrappy and resilient skipper. Sinking in the middle of the Pacific after a collision with a sperm whale did not diminish her appetite for the ocean, Cancer did not diminish her appetite for life and suffering from chronic asthma does not prevent her from competing in events such as the Death Ride or Climb to Kaiser.

Birth: Normandy, France.
    Primary Role on the team: logistics, safety and generally making sure the boat stays up right. Oh and shutting up when driving.
    Age she became a sailor: 15 months, but more seriously around 6 years old if Optimists can be considered serious.
    Family: staff to two cats, Hershel and Pumpkin, both non sailors.
    Education: electrical and electronics engineering, MBA.
    Profession: technology executive.
    Type of sailing she loves: boats where the head is a bucket .
    Other Hobbies: cycling, cooking, reading, San Francisco Giants.

In her own words
    Why R2AK?: "I am just hoping that the team will stop complaining about the boat's rating.'
    Her advice to people attempting R2AK without a toilet on board: "Experience the freedom of going over the side. How many people can claim to have a toilet bowl the size of the Pacific Ocean?"

TANGUY DE LAMOTTE

Tanguy is the team's rational optimist. With two Vendée Globe participations, 15 transats, several fastnet races and Sydney-Hobart participations as a professional racer, he brings a ton of experience to the team and knows a thing or two about making a boat go fast. He also speaks Spanish, which actually does not sound terribly useful in Canada.

Birth: Versailles, France.
    Primary Role on the team: performance master, navigator, tactician. In short, making sure the boat is fast. Always good to have someone you can point a finger to when you fall behind.
    Age he became a sailor: 6 months, but more seriously around 15 years of age. He's mostly caught up though having clocked over 100,000 miles since.
    Family: married to Saskia and Dad to two boys: Billy (4) and Tao (1.5).
    Education: naval architecture.
    Profession: race team manager.
    Type of sailing he loves: adventure offshore sailing.
    Other Hobbies: kite foiling, windsurfing, surfing, cycling, running, SUP, DIY.

In his own words
    Why R2AK?: "It has been on my bucket list for a while."

His advice to people attempting R2AK without a toilet on board: "Always use the bucket, even to pee."

SATCHEL DOUGLAS

Outspoken Satchel is the dependable anchor of the team, that precious person who shines when times get tough and everyone else is down, feeding off challenges. He is also the team's compost bag as he eats pretty much everything that everybody else cannot finish. Yes, he does a lot of eating. He is also a veteran of Race to Alaska and brings a wealth of knowledge to the table (no pun intended).

Birth: US of A.
    Primary Role on the team: ideation, general engineering, foredeck and standing comedian, the former offering plenty of material for the latter.
    Age he became a sailor: 11 years old. He has never sailed an Optimist. He is that odd.
    Family: mom and two sisters.
    Education: naval architecture.
    Profession: naval architect.
    Type of sailing he loves: all types so long as there is more than 12 knots of wind
    Other Hobbies: skiing, kite surfing, Ultimate Frisbee, Disc Golf, sewing, cooking and baking, backcountry ice skating.

In his own words
    Why R2AK?: "I did it once, but I feel like I can do better. When I finished the first race I made a deal: I would do it again, either on a faster boat or a more comfortable one. The Figaro 2 is not comfortable."

His advice to people attempting R2AK without a toilet on board: "For the sake of all that is holy, the bucket should only be used when absolutely necessary. The risk of bucket mishap resulting in unwanted interior decoration is too high. Direct deposit is the way to go."

NEIL ROBERTS

With his deep baritone voice, Neil is the Stan Rogers of the team, on his quest to conquer the inside passage. He is the team's Jack of All Trades. He has sailed on dinghies and keelboats, he is an experienced fleet and team racer and he can fix pretty much anything that moves, or should, or that makes sparks. He never looses his cool unless you make a bad pun. He is also a veteran of R2AK, match racing a trimaran the whole way, a skill that might prove useful come June.

Birth: Canada.
    Primary Role on the team: pedal drive, pedal drive and pedal drive. He can also cook.
    Age he became a sailor: young.
    Family: they live in Canada.
    Education: mechanical engineering.
    Profession: mechanical engineer.
    Type of sailing he loves: selling has never been his forte.
    Other Hobbies: skiing, kite surfing, cycling, camping.

In his own words
    Why R2AK?: "Last year I found out how miserable rowing a sailboat can be. So I designed a pedal drive system. I needed a boat to put it on and a race to try it at."

His advice to people attempting R2AK without a toilet on board: "Wait, we don't have a toilet on board?"

https://envoleeadventures.blogspot.c...ew-vessel.html

This article was originally published in forum thread: SF Bays Entree To R2AK : Team Shut Up And Drive started by Photoboy View original post