• Bermuda 1000 Underway In Ideal Conditions

Top start of Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez - Brest: A very open game for the 17 solitaires

This Thursday, May 9 at 17h, 17 sailors took in Douarnenez the start of the Bermuda 1000 Race, the first event on the calendar of the Globe Series (the IMOCA World Championship) in 2019. The conditions were ideal with a west wind of 12 knots allowing the solitaires to take their marks serenely. The weather promises to be manageable throughout the 2000-mile route to Brest, via the Fastnet lighthouse and the Azores archipelago. But the loners will have work because the transition areas will be many, which will require them to maneuver a lot. A scenario that should promote suspense.

It is with a mixture of impatience, excitement and sometimes apprehension that 17 sailors of the IMOCA class (13 men, 4 women) presented themselves on the starting line of Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez-Brest. The liberating gunshot was given at 17h in a 12-knot western regime, on a small residual swell. The start was quite busy for a dozen riders. Yannick Bestaven, Sam Davies and Sebastien Simon were the fastest on the line, while others, like Miranda Merron and Denis Van Weynbergh, were more cautious, making a second-place appearance. The sailors came out of the bay of Douarnenez up close, with some transfers to the key.

TRACKER

A complex weather scenario, first options from Ouessant

At the Basse Vieille isolated danger buoy in front of Cape de la Chèvre (Crozon peninsula), Sam Davies led the fleet ahead of Clément Giraud, Sébastien Simon, Manu Cousin and Giancarlo Pedote. Sailors can fire on the bar to set sail for Ouessant, which serves as a course mark to leave to starboard. "From the first hours of the race, at the end of the evening, the competitors will have a first tactical choice to make, passing to the East or West of Ouessant's DST (traffic separation device), which is a forbidden zone, " explains Jacques Caraës, the race director."The first night looks very calm for the start of the climb to the Irish Sea. According to our routes, the first boats should arrive at the lighthouse of Fastnet jsamedi in the early morning. The 825 miles between the Fastnet and the Azores virtual brand will start in a very weak Southeast regime with the passage of a ridge, then the wind will intensify at 15-20 knots before easing again. We can expect a tightening of the fleet at the Azores waypoint. "

The conditions are very tactical and the sailors know that the maneuvers and change of sails will be numerous. "All the elements are there to make a nice regatta with a beautiful plateau and varied weather conditions. We will be able to dig our heads over the options, " rejoiced Damien Seguin (APICIL Group) shortly before the start.

Where to place the cursor?

For many of the entries, the Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez-Brest is a major milestone on the road to the Vendée Globe 2020. "It is essential to finish this race for miles to qualify," confirms Sam Davies (Heart Initiatives ). "With its new foils, my boat is much more powerful and I do not have the instructions yet. I will have to go slowly, I must check that everything is fine before hoping to put the foot on the floor. "

Like Sam Davies, several other sailors will have to determine where to place the cursor between safety and performance. "I do not want to do anything stupid and put myself in danger, I will not hesitate to reduce the canvas if necessary. At the same time, I like the competition, I have a hard time getting rid of the performance of the head, " says Maxime Sorel (V and B-Sailing Together). Clément Giraud (Envol by Fortil) has a clear vision of how he will navigate: "To avoid getting into the red, I think I navigate 90% of the routing. This will give a tone to my navigation, without being overly influenced by competitors, some of whom are much more experienced than me. "

According to the routes launched by the race management, the first competitors are expected in Brest after a good week of racing on the morning of Friday 17 May. Who will compose the podium? Who will complete the course? Difficult to predict the outcome of this indecisive test ...

image ©François Van Malleghem

Reactions of sailors before departure:

Sébastien Simon (Arkea Paprec): "I've been waiting for the Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez-Brest for a little while and I'm well prepared for it. This is my first solo race in IMOCA and I will not take any risk. It's a competition so I'm going to try to win, I think it's possible ... "

Stéphane The Time For Oceans: "My goal is to finish in the first three boats without foils. If the opportunity is to put foilers behind, I will not deprive myself! I traveled 35,000 miles with my boat and acquired a lot of automatisms on board. In the changing conditions announced, I'm counting on this experience to make my mark. "

Giancarlo Pedote (Prysmian Group): "I am only at the beginning of my solo training on my IMOCA. I will try to do the maneuvers 'cleanly' without putting pressure on me. I want to learn the sounds of the machine, find my bearings, experiment settings. I will focus later on the performance. "

Fabrice Amedeo (Newrest-Art & Windows): "Although I am already selected and qualified for the Vendée Globe 2020, it is important for me to participate in the Bermuda 1000 Race to continue to progress and test the boat. We have beautiful machines just waiting to navigate. I do not put pressure on results. I will try to navigate well and if everything goes well, I will support the mushroom. "

https://www.bermudes1000race.com
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Bermuda 1000 Underway In Light Conditions started by Photoboy View original post