• The Denouement Approaches!

After driving at great speed for 24 hours, propelled by a steady northwesterly flow, the leading boats of the Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez-Brest have, as expected, seen their speed of progression drop in all early in the afternoon. And for good reason, the leaders of the fleet are currently negotiating a transition phase. At the end of the day, a soft and unwilling wind that forces them to make small adjustments on the road but also causes some uncertainty. It is difficult, therefore, to know exactly how long each one will be slowed down. For now, the latest estimates suggest the arrival of the first, Sebastien Simon between 5 and 8 am tomorrow morning in Brest. The skipper should then be four or five hours ahead of the trio Boris Herrmann (Malizia),

" Since the Azores, it's treadmill. It was a beautiful weather and the sea is rather tidy. Currently, I sail at 90 ° from the wind, reaching, with 25 knots of wind. It is the best !"Commented Clement Giraud (Envol by Fortil). Pointed in 7th position 175 miles from the leader, the Toulonnais still enjoys good conditions to go back to Brest, Wednesday afternoon, while the leaders have, for their part, started to butter in a soft zone. In the lead, Sebastien Simon was the first to fall in around 13:30, seeing his speed drop from 20 to 5 knots, but also the wind to refuse. It is currently upwind that the Sablais evolves while waiting to touch a north wind that it should logically be the first to find to reach the finish line, an axis between the semaphore of Saint-Mathieu and that of the Toulinguet located at the entrance of the Brest gully. " For now, it's hard to estimate how long this transition will last and when the new wind will resettle. We will see the gaps between the leaders tighten and then get rid as all the leading boats should not escape this delicate area ", Said Jacques Caraës, the race director of the Bermuda 1000 Race, then expressing reservations about the ETAs announced (see below) that could naturally slip a little. The one concerning Sébastien Simon could reasonably be between 5 and 8 o'clock tomorrow, and those of his closest pursuers oscillate between 9 and 11 o'clock. One thing is certain, however: the final match between Boris Herrmann (Malizia), Yannick Bestaven (Master Rooster) and Sam Davies (Heart Initiatives) promises to be formidable. In fact, these three are held in less than three miles, which means not much, especially given the weather. Stake ? The second and third places on the podium, nothing less!

Place your bets !

The fight for the accessits risk, too, to be exciting until the last lengths, and especially for the 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th places that should, a priori, be distributed Clément Giraud (Envol by Fortil), Stéphane Le Time (Oceans), Arnaud Boissières (La Mie Câline - Artipôle) and Fabrice Amedeo who are today in a pocket handkerchief in terms of distance to the goal, but evolve on different trajectories. The skipper of Newrest - Art & Fenêtres, who is 40 miles north of his three competitors, now enjoys a little more pressure but also a better angle of progression than his teammates. opponents, and may well upset the current hierarchy. "Since my climb in the mast yesterday, I was able to get out of the soft zone thanks to the return of my large sails before (gennaker and code zero). I am currently evolving at reaching, a pace that the boat likes. I tell myself that there is still a chance that it passes on the group below, " commented the skipper - journalist who enjoys optimistic routing.

Always a little crazy for latecomers

Further back, Manuel Cousin (Setin Group), Damien Seguin (APICIL Group) Miranda Merron (France Campaign) and Alexia Barrier (4myPlanet), have also passed the overdrive since this morning. A relief, as explained the British sailor in a message from the edge sent in the morning: " Yesterday was really a tricky day because of the idle. Now, I think I have found the way out, in any case, I hope so. It was hard to spend hours trying to make painful progress with the sails beating violently because of the swell. The little wind there was, was very unstable and every time I turned my back to do something else, he direction changed ". At the back of the pack, Pip Hare (Superbigou), Ari Huusela (Ariel II) and the Belgian Denis Van Weynbergh (Eyesea) who crossed the Azores waypoint this morning around 3 am and are now also on their way to Brest, still eat their black bread. All three compose with a very weak wind that should, fortunately, cool in the evening while rocking to the northwest. What allow them to accelerate the stride in their turn, and complete the 2000 course of this Bermuda 1000 Race Douarnenez - Brest in the day of Monday.

To note

Mapping will be activated every two minutes within 25 miles of the finish line.

TRACKER

Update on the latest ETAs

Sébastien Simon (Arkéa - Paprec) on May 17th at 4:45 am

Boris Herrmann (Malizia II - Monaco Yacht Club) on May 17th at 9am

Yannick Bestaven (Master Rooster IV) May 17th at 9:50 am

Sam Davies (Heart Initiatives) May 17th at 9:50 am

Giancarlo Pedote (Prysmian) on May 17th at 11:45 am

Maxime Sorel (V and B - Sailing Together) May 17 at 12:30

Fabrice Amedeo (Newrest - Art and Windows) May 17th at 18:15

Clément Giraud (Envol by Fortil) on May 17th at 19:45

Stéphane The Time for Oceans May 17 at 19:45

Arnaud Boissières (La Mie Câline - Artipôle) on May 17th at 19:45

Manuel Cousin (Setin Group) on May 18th at 00:30

Damien Seguin (APICIL Group) May 18th at 2:00 am

Miranda Merron May 18th at 12:15 pm

Pip Hare (Superbigou) May 19 at 3:30

Ari Huusela (Ariel II) on May 19 at 4:00

Alexia Barrier (4myplanet) May 19th at 5:00 am

Denis Van Weynbergh (Eyesea) on May 19th at 8 pm
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Bermuda 1000 Underway In Light Conditions started by Photoboy View original post