• Joy for Joyon's New Mauritian Record

Francis Joyon breaks the Mauritian record
    19 days, 18 hours, 14 minutes and 45 seconds to reach Mauritius

Francis Joyon comes, with a disconcerting appearance of ease, to explode his own record established 10 years ago on this Route des Indes baptized La Mauricienne. 19 days, 18 hours, 14 minutes and 45 seconds, a gain of 6 days and 10 hours in 10 years. The Mauritian, an original route, which borrows from Port Louis in the Morbihan, the course of great tours of the world that Francis knows so well, alone or crew, until the rise of the Indian Ocean all traps, to another Port Louis, that of Mauritius.

8,950 theoretical sailing miles, which turned to Francis, turned into nearly 11,000 miles on the bottom, swallowed at 23.2 knots average. A performance that fits perfectly to its author, satisfied to bring safely his IDEC SPORT in perfect condition, happy with his career, delighted to respect the demanding timing of his Asian Tour, and illuminated wonders crossed.

A weather window far from optimal
    "I lived this record under double pressure," says the winner of the last Route du Rhum and holder of the Jules Verne Trophy. "The pressure of the result, as usual when we fight against the clock. I did not have the pressure of opponents as on the Route du Rhum, but I had to stay in the timing given by our upcoming appointments of the Asian Tour that will lead us to Vietnam and China. I did not want to compromise everything when I arrived here late. A remark in all modesty that hides Francis' insatiable appetite for these races against the chronometer and the convolutions of the natural elements. For this record was from the start, on October 19, far to be won: "Our weather window was far from ideal," he says, "but as we have seen later, nothing really interesting came before us for days, even weeks. We had to leave in order to remain able to respect our Asian program. "

In a little over 7 days and two hours, IDEC SPORT reached the equator. An average time, according to the same person, compared to the times established in recent seasons both solo and crew. But who already put it ahead of more than a day on his record of 2009.

A vast bypass of Saint Helena
    Saint Helena and its anticyclone holiday resort under the Brazilian coast were therefore a new challenge at the height of Francis. The trade winds of South East pushed IDEC SPORT far in the west, towards a huge and discouraging bypass of the languid delineated areas in the heart of the South Atlantic. IDEC SPORT, heading south west and away from the road, left some feathers, lamenting in his 11th day of racing a handful of miles (up to 27) behind IDEC, second name, author at the same time a beautiful parable in the shortest of the South Atlantic.

The great transatlantic cavalcade!
    Then began the true piece of bravery of this adventure. With Christian Dumard's always clear-sighted help on the ground, Francis discovered in the development under the Uruguayan coast of a beautiful depression, the possibility of renewing his great cavalcade of 2017 with his fabulous crew during his triumphal Jules Verne Trophy. "I left on the front of the depression, which was evolving very quickly towards the East. With Christian, we thought that she would very quickly leave us on the way, and that I would have to wait long hours before the arrival of a second system, very interesting too. But as the hours went by, well lined up on the northern edge of the mighty North West flows, IDEC SPORT was once again marveling, aligning days to more than 600 miles, to the point of convincing his skipper that there was perhaps a possibility to remain until the end in this system. "There was a gain of two days in Bonne Espérance to the key! Says Francis, "So I got hooked! "We do not measure the feat achieved at this moment of the record. "The depression as planned is passed on it" continues, admiring, Christian Dumard. "Francis found himself with strong, irregular winds, more than 30 knots and above all a huge sea raised by the depression. But he caught on, adjusting the angle to the wind of the boat, barring much to place his giant trimaran on the crest of the huge waves of the Great South. "It's rare to be able to enjoy this weather system as long as you can," exclaims Francis. "We did it with the IDEC SPORT crew on the Jules Verne Trophy. " But at what cost ! Francis admits having suffered to see his boat suffer. "He was jumping from waves to waves, and making noises I had never heard him utter! The night just before Good Hope was the worst, with lows of 10 meters. I was tired but it was necessary to prolong the effort. That's where this record is played ... "

Happy as Francis ...
    And yet, Joyon says, he has at no time "put in the red", as was the case during the Route du Rhum last year. "I always made a small margin. I have never pushed my settings. I had to spare the boat for the rest of the program. It's done. I am happy with this beautiful trajectory and this beautiful sequence of weather systems. The road was long but meteorologically, it was not bad. I arrived this morning and discovered with the sunrise my first lands since the departure. An incredible light, the turquoise water, the islands ... "To the happiness of Francis!

https://www.idecsport.com/francis-jo...-mauricienne/?
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Joyon's Light Glows Amber started by Photoboy View original post