• Pit Stops In Brazil For Brest Atlantiques Leaders

Posted on 12.11.2019
    Since Tuesday morning, 9:18, the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild is in Salvador de Bahia where the technical team of Gitana Team is working to repair the central drift. The trimaran MACIF took control of "Brest Atlantiques", but will have to make a technical stop on Wednesday in Rio de Janeiro to replace its central hull saffron (loaned by the Team Banque Populaire). Sodebo Ultim 3 should take the opportunity to sit at the controls of the race ahead of Actual Leader. Every Tuesday, Sébastien Josse, a consultant for the race director, returns to the last week of "Brest Atlantiques".

Let's first mention the departure of "Brest Atlantiques" and this descent into the Bay of Biscay, how did it go for the four trimarans?
    They all sailed like a sailor, leaving with one or two reefs and without a sail; they did not have much choice. They knew that there were six hours a little delicate under muscular conditions. The difference with the Route du Rhum last year is that it was more open, VMG, so less demanding for boats. They left quite quickly, at 28 knots average. They all looked a little, and after four to five hours, the trimaran MACIF unfurled its forward sail and immediately gained 4-5 knots. Maxi Edmond de Rothschild geared up. They are all competitors: when François ( Gabart)drew, Franck (Cammas) , it immediately titillated.

Subsequently, there were different road choices, why do you think?
    Yes, the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild and Actual Leader went under the DST, it was not necessarily routing. The optimum route was more that followed by MACIF to the west. I think this trajectory inside was linked to stories from the sea , it was a bit wiser. After, it's always difficult, when you're under the wind of a boat, to luff, because you know you'll be behind.

After, there was a battle of gybes ...
    Yes, with much more irregular winds than the files. In particular, when one makes a "gull wing" to go around the anticyclone, it is more stable. Maxi Edmond de Rothschild jibed first, then two more gybes. I think they tried to escape a grain under which they were stuck, they probably also wanted to avoid getting closer to the anticyclone, because the boat is heavier. Again, the routes gave more route to the west, but the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild crossed in front, because the boat is the fastest in the fleet. It has the advantage of having under the pedal, they are always a little faster, a little lower. We had already seen him on the Route du Rhum and the training sessions this year. Which is normal,30 meters against 32).

TRACKER

How was the crossing of Pot-au-noir?
    I think they all looked well at what happened on the Transat Jacques Vabre. Since it went well enough in his east, it's always better to have benchmarks in front. Maxi Edmond de Rothschild did well. I think that in the soft zones, the damage of saffron of MACIF was penalizing: at high speed, beyond 25 knots, it is a plus to not have a central saffron, because it makes less trail. However, at low speed, in less than 15 knots, the boat becomes difficult to hold, they may have sometimes lost control and made some 360. So, to always have control of the boat, you sail less the sails are complicated as driving; but François excels in the field. He still did a Route du Rhum last year with a third of his appendages less!

Do you think the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild has been penalized by his drifting problem?
    Yes, I think that between the Doldrums and Bahia, they should have approached flying mode of 35 knots average, or even beyond, while they have rarely passed above 30 knots.

Will the two technical stops of Maxi Edmond de Rothschild in Bahia and the MACIF trimaran in Rio generate a gap in favor of Sodebo Ultim 3 and Actual?
    It obviously depends on the time of the stops; but yes, inevitably. When you stop, as these boats advance to more than 25 knots minimum, it allows those behind to quickly return. So Sodebo will take the lead, it can open for him if he has no damage and he does not stop. We know that this race will be full of twists with these pit stops that are completely part of the game.

How do you judge the course so far of Sodebo Ultim 3 and Actual Leader?
    Actual Leader, we knew, has a speed deficit compared to the others, which was detrimental to the start of the race, because he did not have the same angles of descent, he was more downwind than the others who walked more through. After seeing the rest of the program in the South Atlantic, it will be different. There will no doubt be a tightening in his favor. And anyway, he can claim the others to the podium or even to victory. If he never stops and everyone else stops, he can win! As for Sodebo Ultim 3, we see that it goes a little slower than the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild and trimaran MACIF at certain speeds. This is related to the fact that it does not have a buoyant plan on the drift, but it is an assumed choice. I remember hearing Thomas say, two years ago, that he had designed this boat for the solo world tour planned initially at the end of this year and that in this light, he did not want to have too much artifice, believing that reliability was paramount. For the moment, that gives him reason, since he will take the lead.

Let's talk about the rest of the program: how is the road to Cape Town in the South Atlantic?
    Complicated! For now, the road is blocked by the St. Helena anticyclone which is very South. Engaging in the south, as is traditionally done, seems difficult, you find yourself blocked by both the anticyclone and the ice limit which is quite north. The option seems to go north of the anticyclone with close up for a while. For the moment, this stage of the south between Rio and Cape Town, announces itself with headwind.

And the close, it is not very pleasant ...
    Not necessarily. Today, on these boats in flight mode, you can advance to 28-30 knots offshore. They are mounted on shock absorber, so comfort level, it is not so unpleasant, it sails very flat. It will however be less comfortable for Actual Leader who does not fly like the others. Otherwise, the downside is that it solicits a little more the boat.

Yann Riou / PolaRyse / Gitana SA

Here is the word from the edge of Martin Keruzoré, media man on Sodebo Ultim 3, which looks back on its first week of racing on Brest Atlantiques.

The joy of starting on this new adventure is quickly relegated to the background and gives way to the challenge of producing images in its muscular conditions. Helmet on the head and concentration at its maximum just crossed the starting line to avoid injury or break equipment, rule number one that I had set on this start of the race. It shakes and it flies in all directions, computer, tablet, camera case, you must constantly secure everything with carabiners, rubber bands, systems of all kinds if you do not want your work tools to end up in two pieces, under the wind, in a bath of salt. Helmet on the head and concentration at its maximum just crossed the starting line to avoid injury or break equipment, rule number one that I had set on this start of the race. It shakes and it flies in all directions, computer, tablet, camera case, you must constantly secure everything with carabiners, rubber bands, systems of all kinds if you do not want your work tools to end up in two pieces, under the wind, in a bath of salt. Helmet on the head and concentration at its maximum just crossed the starting line to avoid injury or break equipment, rule number one that I had set on this start of the race. It shakes and it flies in all directions, computer, tablet, camera case, you must constantly secure everything with carabiners, rubber bands, systems of all kinds if you do not want your work tools to end up in two pieces, under the wind, in a bath of salt.

It's a real marathon, a race over time, we have thousands of miles to tell the story, the strategy adopted by the sailors is also good for us, not to spoil the man and the machine. Fortunately spared from seasickness, I will not hide that I took 4-5 days to find the rhythm of "cruise" on board, normally it takes me 2-3 days on a "classic" boat. Finding the rhythm is for me to agree with the boat, eat well, sleep well, perform daily tasks, but it is also to be in agreement with the men, understand them, integrate this duo without disturbing them, without get noticed. We too have our share of small galleys; on my side, the drone that I had embarked never wanted to take off, today,

In a few days, once past the hot Brazilian waters, we will head to the East, difficult conditions are at the rendezvous and we will make every effort to report to you daily on the situation using our cameras. "

Photo: Martin Keruzoré / Sodebo Ultim 3

The near, a close pace, closer to the wind. When you talk about sailing closely, it is not usually to evoke good memories. This term is often synonymous with suffering, it knocks, it hits, it does not move, and think again

Since yesterday, on our Ultim, sailing at 60 degrees from the wind since the end of the endless doldrums is a real pleasure. You probably will not believe me, but it's relaxing, yes. Our boats have this fabulous ability to pass the sea and chop with ease, which at its wind angles, we are mainly facing. These machines literally fly over this mogul field, at a regular cottage, gentle movements, it's fluid, it's graceful. The average speed is still very correct in medium wind, so it is at this rate that we will arrive very quickly along the Brazilian coast.

Tonight the wind is falling and the sea is flattening, as if to wave politely to the sun to give way, plunging into the West and leaving the dance floor to Madame la Lune, entering through the main door to the East . The night will be soft, the trade wind is hot and salty, the drift whistles and the foil sings. Good night

Martin Keruzoré / Médiaman aboard de Sodebo Ultim 3

Finally ! Finally we came out of this pot to black endless!
    Compared to most sailboats, it was very short ... but what
    intensity. A frantic race with the clouds that never stopped
    to inflate above us, to drive mad!
    And again, I was "cool" watching Yves and Alex wincher and
    maneuver almost non-stop for 24 hours!
    But the efforts paid off, it was a good operation for us, I
    believe that we have returned almost 100 miles to the rest of the fleet.
    And the end, at moonrise, was magical. To finally see the stars
    in front of and the moon forge a path through the last mutant grain
    behind ... a feeling of liberation and victory: finally came out of
    claws of the monster!
    We are now at "reaching", all the way to Rio. And
    you know what ? And the "reaching" is pretty unbearable,
    especially at the bottom of the hold! I make good in every way in front of the
    keyboard, the machine is perfectly tuned: we do not stop it anymore!
    The only place where we could be good is in the bunk, but
    the heat is unbearable. Besides, my "cellar" begins to smell
    the wild beast! I live even with the trash cans. I would have to
    motivates to send them forward, to the intended location but it is necessary to
    sneak into a narrow neck, then along the central drift, into
    the bowels of the beast. No way to do that now, to
    28-30nds on a mogul field, I will finish inlaid in the carbon!
    We passed the equator, symbolic moment ... I slept! Same
    time, the two of them, have spent more than 30 times, on any type of
    boats. Like everyday life. And I've already crossed it by bike, at
    Gabon, with my colleagues from Lost in the Swell - Yves told me that,
    it was class!
    In any case the boat looks in good shape and the sailors recover
    gently sleep. Whenever I get in the cabin, there is
    has one that snores like a mammoth under prozac. I even took the
    time to make a big dish of tuna pasta, it feels good!
    Besides, I have to stop complaining, we're here, at
    calm and warm ... See what awaits us in Rio (wind very strong) and the
    rotten scenario looming towards South Africa, we are not at
    end of our adventures!

Ronan Gladu / Médiaman à bord d'Actual Leader
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 2019 Brest Atlantiques Blasts Off started by Photoboy View original post