• Rio And Salvador de Bahia Pit Stops Give Macif & Sodebo Advantage

Photo: Ronan Gladu / Actual Leader

Posted on 13.11.2019
    Always leader of "Brest Atlantiques" since the stop, Tuesday, Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, trimaran MACIF should arrive around 19h (French time) in Rio de Janeiro where he will stop for a change of central hull saffron. Sodebo Ultim 3 is expected about five hours later in the Cagarras Islands, where he could seize the orders of the fleet. At the back, Actual Leader and especially the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild were considerably slowed down in a zone without wind.

The big maneuvers are preparing for the MACIF team on the Marina side of Gloria, site of the sailing events of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, where the trimaran led by François Gabart and Gwénolé Gahinet, disabled from Cape Verde by the breakage of its central hull saffron, must arrive around 19-20h (French time). At 16h, he had crossed the Cabo Frio and progressed by jibing towards Rio, with an east wind in the back of 18 knots. The stop will allow the technical team to replace the damaged central hull saffron in a collision with an OFNI by the one that could be recovered by the Team Banque Populaire last year after the rupture of the front arm that caused the capsizing , on the Route du Rhum, Banque Populaire IX led by Armel Le Cléac'h.

This stop will benefit Sodebo Ultim 3 which, pointed 100 miles from MACIF at 16h, will probably seize for the first time since the departure of Brest orders "Brest Atlantiques". Thomas Coville and Jean-Luc Nélias are expected to cross the Cagarras Islands, located 2.5 miles off the mythical Ipanema Beach, about five hours after MACIF, around midnight. And after Christian Dumard, weather consultant to the race direction, Sodebo Ultim 3 has a good chance to take to their heels once marked e passed:"They will start at the front of a depression in a sustained wind around 25 knots but at reaching, ideal conditions to go fast, while for those who later pass to the Cagarras, the wind will be stronger at the same time. , 28-30 knots, and more of face. "

A situation that is not necessarily going to do the business of Maxi Edmond de Rothschild, on board which, since the departure of Salvador de Bahia Tuesday at 22:58, Franck Cammas and Charles Caudrelier are living painful moments, evidenced by their average score of 2.6. knots over four hours between 12h and 16h classifications! "A depression is coming up from South Africa, with in its north a front that goes to Brazil and their bar the road, they are passing in, with very little wind along the Brazilian coast. As they left Salvador, they could not recede to the east and have much less wind than the Leader Leader more offshore ", adds Christian Dumard. Yves Le Blevec and Alex Pella, who between 12 and 16h, advanced to 14.2 knots, will probably take the opportunity to grab the third place.

In short, the maps of "Brest Atlantiques" are completely redistributed as the first mark passes, and it is probably not over to believe Christian Dumard: "On the other side of the South Atlantic, Sodebo may crash into the anticyclone, so it could come back from behind, especially since the St. Helena high pressure will tend to rise, which could open a small door to pass in its south. » To be continued ...

Photo: Jérémie Eloy / MACIF trimaran

Here is the word of the board sent this Wednesday, November 13 by Jérémie Eloy, media man on the trimaran MACIF.

"A week at sea, a goodbye, a storm, a doldrums, an equator, the alizé, sunsets, moon lifts, flying fish, infinite surf, starry nights, an OFNI, the passing sea, screaming foil, shared meals, stories told, chills, anguish, restless nights, smiles, laughter, tea chocolate, din, a ship that does not understand why do not get confused for the photos ...

In a week, I got to know this boat, its reactions, its whispers, its screams, its creaking, its joys, its pains, its rhythm, all shared with my adventure acolytes. I like to watch the sea unfurling, sometimes I take a look, just to know if it's still there. But frankly today, in the wind, the desire to jump into the water, rinse, was more than tempting but already a laughing up his nose, the boat snorts, curve echin, and resumes more, it hisses, it screams. We know that we go to Rio, repair, heal, find the mainland, to better start, to another continent, Africa. "

Photo: Yann Riou / PolaRyse / Gitana SA

Posted on 13.11.2019
    Here is the word of the board received Wednesday, November 13 Yann Riou, media man aboard the Maxi Edmond de Rothschild.

"Funny day, suspended race, stopover, a lot of work by the technical team, and a few hours after joining Salvador, even before he got used to the comfort of life on the mainland. again sitting in the same place as yesterday, my tablet on the lap Just above, Franck and Charles have resumed their quarters.In the race, nothing seems to have changed since yesterday, and yet our boat has found its potential, our skippers are over-motivated, our team can be proud of the work done and our dishes are clean, we spent a day in Brazil.

PS: I think this is the first time I come to Brazil without drinking a single caipirinha! "

TRACKER

This article was originally published in forum thread: 2019 Brest Atlantiques Blasts Off started by Photoboy View original post