• Projection Towards Rio Looking Good

TRACKER

Ocean racing is one of those difficult sports as one has to have a well planned strategy before the start and stick to as changing strategy is slow, especially if you want to be somewhere quite distant on the course. It’s not as if a position change will happen quickly, and could take many hours or even a day or two.

Which is why I am impressed with the manner the ‘JM Busha 54′ team have stuck to their guns from the start, and now appear to be in a really good position, while climbing the leader board too. They are the most Northerly boat in the fleet, with their current position and course showing them to now be making some ‘westing’. My guess is that during today they may well consolidate their position further and move to the top of the leader board. They are currently fastest on the water in terms of boat speed (as of the latest satellite ‘ping’ which is at a point in time), going in a good direction, and looking to have found some good wind which will be with them for a few days yet. Plus, they have the highest run in the fleet of 62nm, 10 miles more that San Salvador and substantially more than their other rivals.

‘San Salvador’ has been ploughing along on a westerly course for a few days, and while they wear the leaders crown in terms of both line and handicap honours amongst the monohulls, it looks as if they will be staying in an area of lighter winds for most of today.

The true race is now developing and unfolding, with compulsory 4-hourly viewing of the YB Tracker.
    Being the navigator and weather strategist on this race is not for the feint-hearted, and judging from the latest YB Tracking data – the ‘JM Busha 54′ team have been the bravest and most consistent.

Roll on the next update as this is becoming exciting!

by Richard Crockett

09|01|2020
    Today's leaderboard and report- back from the fleet:

𝗔𝗱𝗿𝗶𝗮𝗻𝗮:
    Starting to blow

𝗔𝗿𝗴𝗼𝗻𝗮𝘂𝘁:
    Fixing bug kite and just had beautifully cooked sirloin. On the braai of course.

𝗖𝗶𝗮𝗼 𝗕𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗮 – 𝗝𝗠 𝗕𝗨𝗦𝗛𝗔 𝟱𝟰 𝗦𝗮𝗶𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗧𝗲𝗮𝗺:
    The wind is finally back and the team could not be happier! Full send from now to Rio

𝗠𝘆𝗿𝘁𝗹𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝗕𝗼𝗻𝗻𝗶𝗲𝘃𝗮𝗹𝗲:
    We are sailing under spinnaker in 12 knots of wind up the Namibian coast. A sunny beautiful day.

We are 6 crew on board and has divided the day into 8 shifts of 3 hours each. We are 2 crew on shift at a time, 3 hours on shift and 6 hours off. Pierre and Sonja is on one shift, PK and Lize on the next shift and then Pietman and Inge. Being off shift does not mean now you sleep or read a book. (I have never read one page in a book on 7 previous Atlantic crossings.)

When off shift you attend to other stuff, like fixing broken things, adjusting some equipment, cooking, washing, etc, then maybe if there is time, sleep a few hours.

This morning all were on deck working together very hard to take PK up the mast to remove the self furling genoa from its aluminium bolt rope track, which has separated at a join. It took us 2 hours and the sail is now neatly folded and tied up on the foredeck. In 30 minutes we are going to take PK up the mast again to fix the separating aluminium foil with epoxy glue and new grub screws. We hope that will allow us to use the genoa again. At the moment we only use the main sail and spinnaker.

Everybody is happy, we think we will cross to do the Atlantic crossing closer to Walvisbaai.

Regards and Hi to everyone from all on board Myrtle.

Pierre Albertyn

𝗥𝗼𝗻𝗶𝗻:
    I never thought it possible but I think I am getting fat on this boat. Curry chicken with basmati rice to dinner. Then sundowner and a Cohiba cigar. Hoping the wind will pick up

𝗨𝗺𝗼𝘆𝗮:
    we discovered today our alternator hasn’t been working and had critically low power on our aux battery. luckily with 2 Germans onboard we managed to strip it and rebuild it. luckily all is well again. we can play tunes and make water again: )
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 2020 Cape 2 Rio Update started by Photoboy View original post