North Sails

Jan's Marine Photgraphy

H2oshots.com

Advertise with US

• 2020 Cape 2 Rio Update Jan 11th: Second Wave Departs

TRACKER

11|01|2020
    Today's leaderboard and report- back from the fleet:
    We can report that we've have the best example of German efficiency to date... Haspa Hamburg sent in their 1st position report immediately after the start.

Haspa Hamburg:
    It’s all fine on Board, we had a great start.

Adriana:
    Today’s menu was chicken hot curry and beer
    Best regards

Mojie 1:
    All is well. We’re headed West, finally! However, this point of sail makes life on board more. Hall gong due to heeling!

Myrtle of Bonnievale:
    Sunny skies and crew in good mood. Yesterday Lize baked us a very delicious bread. Today it is Inge’s turn to bake a bread. PK and Pietman pushed Myrtle very hard the past 2 days. We had good wind (20 knots) for the spinnaker – too much sail up according to my liking. When the boat has too much sail up, she is over pressed and everything is under a lot of strain. Sonja is working very hard at everything – from cooking, organising the housekeeping, cleaning, being the medical officer, etc.

Two nights ago PK and Pietman was pushing the limits and I said we should consider reducing sail. They felt we were fine but I thought less sail will be better. I went down below for some sleep, but the sound was overwhelming – it sounded like two steam trains constantly running past me on both sides. I could not close an eye and sat in the saloon watching them right through the night – I did not sleep 1 minute that night and thought I will have a chat to them in the morning. I watched them driving Myrtle right through the night. The next morning, before I could speak to them, an e mail came in from expert yachtsman, Bernard Farmer. Bernard will be the delivery skipper of Myrtle sailing her back to Cape Town from Brazil. I copy Bernard’s one liner e mail: “You guys are cooking!! Remember that ocean races are won at night!”

Case closed.

Well, we did wonderful miles in the right direction and we moved into first position on handicap. The race is now one week old and lots can happen in the next two to three weeks.

Today at 14:00 is also the start of the second group of yachts in Cape Town. They are the super yachts, the big fast yachts – like Maserati. They are around 10 yachts on the start line and two of them are in our class – Multihulls: Maserati and Love Water. They are super fast and super expensive yachts. Their results will be added to the list daily from tomorrow. We all have a different handicap rating to make it possible that Myrtle, the smallest Multihull in the race, can compete with Maserati. If it takes Maserati 9 days to Brazil (and break the record for the crossing – which is why they are here), and if Myrtle takes 23 days to Brazil, Myrtle still wins Maserati – something like that.

Love to all.

Pierre Albertyn

Ronin:
    Great run last night. 200 nm. All good here.

Leaderboard: https://cape2rio2020.com/leaderboard-11012020/

#cape2rio2020 #adventureofalifetime
    City of Cape Town Discoverctwc TAAG Angola Airlines FlySAA
    Argonaut JM Busha 54 Peace Sailing Team - Cape2Rio 2020 Indulgence Cape2Rio SV Northern Light JML Rotary Scout LoveWater Sailing Team Zulu Girl Racing Giovanni Soldini Pagina Ufficiale #angolacables
    This article was originally published in forum thread: 2020 Cape 2 Rio Update started by Photoboy View original post
  • Right Side Sponsors

North Sails

NorCalSailing

H2oshots.com

Quantum Sails

RBS Battens

Whitecaps Marine

Advertise with US