Whitecaps Marine

North Sails

Jan's Marine Photgraphy

H2oshots.com

Advertise with US

• The Front Page RSS Feed

Published on 06-24-2017 11:30 AM
    Article Preview

Race day 3 in Bermuda saw ETNZ take the 1st race by a huge margin of over 2 minutes to inch
    closer to avenging the devastating loss of 2013...

The 2nd race of day ...
    Published on 06-23-2017 04:47 PM
    Article Preview

IRC Nationals fleet licking their wounds after tough opening day!

With the southwesterly piping up to 30 knots in the final race, the RORC IRC Nationals got off to a brisk start on the Solent today with two windward-leewards followed by a round the cans race.

Appropriately, given this is an annual championship for Royal Ocean Racing Club's rating rule, it is a mix of both the newest boats and the very oldest, that lead at the conclusion of day one.

all photos © Paul Wyeth/pwpictures.com
    Published on 06-23-2017 09:46 AM
    Article Preview

Andy Soriano's British entry Alegre suffers a gravity storm during today's racing in Porto Cervo
    and a resulting drop in standings as well. Alegre was tied for 3rd with SLED and Provezza before today's
    racing, and the resulting mast breakage hurts in more than one way. Full report shortly...

In the mean time, please enjoy the video highlights from Day 2:

Better Never Stops
    Wednesday's transgression may be two days behind them. Today they climbed to the top of the Porto Cervo 52 SUPER ...
    Published on 06-23-2017 09:14 AM
    Article Preview

Howie Hamlin and Andy Zinn have cleaned up at the 2017 5o5 North American's in Buzzards Bay.
    The pair's 3rd such victory in 4 years. Howie now 64 and Andy a mere 43, remain a force in the
    classic high performance dinghies even today, despite sailing against sailors often 20 plus years their juniors.
    With a wide variety of conditions, they managed to take 5 bullets and a pair of deuces in the 9 race event.

When asked how they manage to succeed, Howie indicates "Time on the boat. There are no shortcuts and it takes preparation,
    practice and boat handling, simply put" Howie and Andy travel near and far to compete ...
    Published on 06-22-2017 09:47 PM
    Article Preview

Coast Guard suspends search for missing Celebration solo-sailor in South Pacific

HONOLULU — The Coast Guard suspended the active search Thursday for a solo-sailor aboard the 36-foot sailing vessel Celebration last reported 1,800 miles southeast of Hilo, Hawaii.

Richard ...
    Published on 06-22-2017 02:12 PM
    Article Preview

Well last night the barometer plummeted to 970 mb at its lowest so I must have been quite close to the centre of the low-pressure system. My efforts of sailing south for all of yesterday ...
    Published on 06-22-2017 01:51 PM
    Article Preview

Rán Racing On Top of 52 SUPER SERIES Roller Coaster

(Thursday 22nd June, Porto Cervo) – For two of the 2017 season's top 52 SUPER SERIES teams the familiar waters of Porto Cervo, Sardinia have been something of an emotional rollercoaster. The oft heard cliché that so competitive is the 52 SUPER SERIES fleet right now that one day you are in the penthouse, seemingly unstoppable, then, severely punished for the smallest of mistakes, you are languishing on the pavement.

On Day 1 of the Porto Cervo 52 SUPER SERIES Audi Sailing Week the defending 2016 champions Quantum Racing finished rock ...
    Published on 06-21-2017 03:54 PM
    Article Preview

Seems like just yesterday a group of crazy sailors proposed a race from Cascade Locks, 42 miles
    upriver and downhill to The Dalles through the Columbia ...
    Published on 06-21-2017 03:00 PM
    Article Preview

Let's Go Racing Already!

When the AP flag was taken down to finally mark the start of Block Island Race Week 2017, it was like watching schoolchildren being let out for recess. Sailors who had waited 1 ½ days to go racing rushed down the docks, hopped aboard their boats and couldn’t wait to cast off the lines.

Thick fog that blew in late Saturday and refused to leave forced cancellation of Monday’s racing and delayed Tuesday’s attempt to get things going. At long last, the fog lifted around noon and race committee chairman announced that one start would be held for all courses beginning at 2 p.m.

As it turns out, the fog had not ...
    Published on 06-21-2017 10:20 AM
    Article Preview

13 year old David Little of the Stockton Sailing Club has been advancing his sailing skills
    as well a his command of drones. David and SSC member Marvin McDougal spent the day of the Ditch Run chasing the fleet
    via land and sky. 1st at Pittsburg and then an undisclosed area closer to the SSC.

David's ...
    Published on 06-20-2017 09:25 AM
    Article Preview

Curious as to what lies below the deck of the latest addition to the J-Class?

Carlo Borlenghi provides a glimpse the comfort level that is the current standard for
    those that like their yachts large and elegant inside and out. No shots of the steerage
    area for crew, wet ...
    Published on 06-20-2017 09:01 AM
    Article Preview

In the historic first ever America's Cup J Class Regatta in Bermuda three different crews won races on the opening day. Just one point separates the top two boats, Hanuman and Ranger on seven apiece with Lionheart poised for three way final day showdown on eight.

The record fleet of seven J Class yachts, the biggest ever mustered in the 87 year history of the class, may have been forced to wait an extra few days after Friday's opening races fell victim to winds which were too light and ...
    Published on 06-19-2017 04:07 PM
    Article Preview

The key to ETNZ's success lays in the division of power...

The Match – Day 2
    Sunday 18 June
    Matthew Sheahan, The World Sailing Show

Oracle Team USA took a second pasting today, it wasn’t even close.
    Unable to make to the bottom gate in front, speed was their issue.

In the first race of the day, Spithill got to the first mark in the lead, just. Seconds later he got to the boundary and managed to force the Kiwis to gybe first.
    But as an illustration of just how fine a line separates the winner from the loser, the Kiwis were able to soak down onto Oracle, gassing Spithill as they did so and slowing him down.
    Published on 06-19-2017 10:21 AM
    Article Preview

Leg 1 - a rough night

I take out some taboule and proceed with eating my dinner - the fleet has rounded the mark G I am still miles away from which is quite disheartening - I really took a hit in the Gironde. I also know that we will have some heavy weather and the directive I got was 'after you round BXA and you are on your way to the most windward mark of the course, once the wind is up around 20, drop down to your Solent (aka jib). I will just monitor. I am able to fly the kite to mark G so I do. Things quiet down and the wind is now down which make for serene conditions.

I can't help thinking that I am ...
    Published on 06-18-2017 12:51 PM
    Article Preview

Saturday morning at 9:30 am HST, June 17, 2017, Hōkūle‘a along with sister-ship Hikianalia returned home to Hawaii after a three-year worldwide voyage. Their tour ...
    Published on 06-18-2017 11:26 AM
    Article Preview

The Foiling Peloton won race 3 and 4 on the Great Sound by ginormous margins today, upping their
    record against Oracle to 4-0... 4 more wins and ETNZ can redeem themselves for 2013!

Full official report to follow...

Battle resumed on Father’s Day in the America’s Cup Match, presented by Louis Vuitton, with Jimmy Spithill’s ORACLE TEAM USA looking to seize back the advantage gained by Peter Burling’s Emirates Team New Zealand on day one. However, it was day two to the Kiwis again, with Emirates ...
    Published on 06-17-2017 11:57 AM
    Article Preview

The Foiling Peloton Dominate day1 of the 35th America's Cup, amassing very large leads
    in light and shifty conditions on the Great Sound. The Kiwis had leads of over a minute
    in both races and nearly gave those leads away only to pull out some magic and sail away
    with 2 victories!

Oracle Racing started with a one point advantage with point earned during the Louis Vuitton Qualifiers
    yet with two wins today, ETNZ hold a 2-1 advantage in the 1st to 8 points contest.

Racing resumes on the Great Sound Sunday with races 3&4 and then there will be a 5 day break
    before ...
    Published on 06-17-2017 11:40 AM
    Article Preview

The SVEA story... Tom Seibel's J-Class yachts pedigree explained! ...
    Published on 06-17-2017 06:51 AM
    Article Preview

Coast Guard, locals rescue dozens after high-speed ferry accident in Hyannis

image © david curran

BOSTON – The Coast Guard teamed-up with local responders late Friday and early ...
    Published on 06-16-2017 09:11 AM
    Article Preview

'Crazy sailor' who quit teaching job to cross Atlantic in a washing machine dies aged 77
    Tom McNally raised hundreds of thousands for cancer charities

Tom McNally a former fine arts lecturer from Kirby prepares to set a new world record by sailing the Atlantic Ocean in ...

• Right Side Sponsors

North Sails

NorCalSailing

H2oshots.com

Quantum Sails

RBS Battens

Whitecaps Marine

Advertise with US