Advertise with US

• The Front Page RSS Feed

Published on 07-23-2016 03:55 PM
    Article Preview

Severe Storm Warnings Issued for Chicago Macinac Race Participants
    Mariners are advised to seek shelter!

Published on 07-23-2016 03:31 PM
    Article Preview

Lauren Easley nails it again, capturing some Friday Finishers from high above!

http://www.leialohacreative.com/

Published on 07-23-2016 10:47 AM
    Article Preview

Bill and Melinda Erkelens completed the 2016 Pacific Cup in grand style, their 2nd Pacific Cup sailing together double handed on the
    Donovan 30 Wolfpack. With good pressure the entire course, they completed the 2,070 nm course in 9 days, 5 hours, 19 minutes and 45 seconds,
    winning the DH 2 division on corrected time by 20 hours, 28 ...
    Published on 07-23-2016 09:54 AM
    Article Preview

By Liza Tewell
    A fleet of 64 sailboats traveled to the Oak Harbor Marina July 11-15 for the 34th running of Whidbey Island Race Week (WIRW) hosted by the Oak Harbor Yacht Club. The nation’s only true race “week,” WIRW gives sailors from the United States, Canada and Europe the opportunity to test their racing skills on both short and long courses in Penn Cove and Saratoga Passage. The event, which includes nightly awards and live bands, kicked off Sunday night as sailors sized up competition and rekindle friendships at the traditional Sunday meet-and-greet.

Dictated by the tides, this year’s event was held mid-July in cooler than normal temperatures and lighter than average winds. Nonetheless, Race PRO Charley Rathkopf and his committee from Corinthian Yacht Club Seattle finished eight to nine races during the five-day regatta. Nine classes, including three one-design classes, ...
    Published on 07-22-2016 11:07 PM
    Article Preview

The Triple Crown winner of the 2016 Pacific Cup has yet to be announced, but it is just a formality.

The winner, measuring in at just 24' and weighing in at 2050 lbs total displacement is the Moore 24 Mas!

The story is one of emotional and time investment, luck, and teamwork. ...
    Published on 07-22-2016 04:02 PM
    Article Preview

It's been 18 years since Doug Frolich and John Donovan sailed their Moore 24, Low Profile across the Pacific in the 1998 Pacific Cup and established a record of 11 Days, 9 Hours, 48 Minutes and 25 Seconds. The two started their campaign 5 years prior ...
    Published on 07-22-2016 01:33 PM
    Article Preview

COMANCHE SETS OFF TO CHASE TRANSATLANTIC MONOHULL RECORD
    Weather window promises record-breaking potential for world’s fastest monohull

Comanche, the 100 foot racing yacht owned by Jim Clark and Kristy Hinze-Clark, will depart this evening from New York (USA) and point her bow East to Britain as the record-breaking monohull takes ...
    Published on 07-21-2016 01:21 PM
    Article Preview

Condor completed her rocket ride to the islands last night crossing the finish line at 20:18,
    becoming the 1st boat the is not a Maxi to finish and the 1st to get lei'd in Kanaohe!

Varuna VI is the 2nd boat to arrive in E Division, arriving at 07:37 HST, for an elapsed time
    of 5 Days, 20 hours and change *still awaiting official numbers

In DH1, Mas! is still Boss, and maintains its triple crown holdings, with 119 ...
    Published on 07-21-2016 09:56 AM
    Article Preview

Hello All

Good news for the morning…we are less than 500NM away from Kaneohe Bay. Now, we just need to inject a little NOS to get to Kaneohe for lunch on Friday.

Fairly calm night last night. Not too many gusts. We setup a non-conventional sail configuration: we mounted our larger staysail on the bowsprit to help battle the yaw which allowed us to get some rest through the night so that we can go back into attack mode once it gets to be light out. We hoisted our big orange spinnaker up this morning and we’re moving right along.

Yesterday evening was probably the first real blissful moment of the race. Freddy was sleeping and I was at the helm of Thirsty, which despite it’s injuries and MacGyver’ed repairs was stably blasting down waves between 13 and 18kts right ahead of our first real sunset of the race (it’s been gray and San-Francisco-y the entire time) which happened to generate a superb display of colors. I am happy to report that when the Pacific chooses to be less brutal, it’s just as beautiful as I remember it. Had Moby playing in my earphones (“Everything That Rises” is still my favorite tune for these moments). At this point I am telling myself that at least I came all the way out here for these 30 minutes of serenity and beauty. And then, sunset. And then, a “home-cooked” meal of macaroni and prosciutto.

Stamina-wise, we’ve regained some energy from our 3-day insomnia marathon. We are thinking we’ll inject that “NOS” when we pass the 200NM to go mark in the last 24 hours. After days of running lines, steering, adjusting various trims and re-rigging, I can report that I no longer have finger prints…our hands are wiped out. Oh and I think we’ll probably need to wear long sleeve lycra tops on the beaches of Hawaii otherwise I fear locals will call Adult Protection Services (does that exist?) if they were to see the bruising and cuts we have all over our arms, backs, torsos, and legs. On future crossings, we’ll leave the forward deck work to the young whipper-snappers to get the crap beat out of them on. Yes, you read that correctly: I think this’ll be our last double-handed crossing. Maybe. Not sure. Ask us again next year. But yeah…

Hope today we make good mileage gains because Fred and I are tired of being on this boat. Hawaii can’t arrive soon enough. But hey, we broke a Thirsty/SailingForALS speed record: 18.7kts boat speed. And it didn’t feel like we were flirting with the Grim Reaper of the Pacific or anything like that, so that was fun.

-Charles

Later this afternoon, the GBC received another message from Charly. Sounds like the Poseidon and Aoelus had a beer together and said “A’ight, that’s enough crap for now. Let’s let ’em finish.” So here goes for the 5pm update:

First nice day of the ENTIRE race. The boat’s temporary mends seem to be holding and the sea isn’t as violent so the boat is just gliding over the tamed waves under a beautiful sun. We did some more permanent organizing and cleaning of the boat.

[GBC note: One of the things you guys probably didn’t realize through all of this is that without an autopilot, Fred and Charly would barely see or talk to each other except for when sh!t was hitting the proverbial fan. And none of that chat was really enjoyable.]

Today, Fred and I were able to catch up like long lost buddies from our 2012 and 2014 Pacific Cup.

We are moving at 11kts on the direct route to Kaneohe Bay. We’ve decided we’re not gonna take down the spinnaker until we cross that finish line. We just can’t wait to get there anymore. Still, when things are going better for us, this boat is still fairly injured and doing any adjustments with out current state of rigging is headache. We had another broach this morning with our spinnaker up in sprightly gust which sent the boom straight into the shrouds (probably gonna have to re-rig this boat with completely new hardware once it’s back in LA). Anyway, minor mechanical ...
    Published on 07-20-2016 10:37 PM
    Article Preview

A few frames from Lauren Easley's brilliant work from Rio's record setting finish!

Published on 07-20-2016 05:06 PM
    Article Preview

Pics from the start of the journey, as Manouch Moshayedi's Maxi Rio 100 set off on the quest, a 1st to finish
    and new record of the Pacific Cup! Breaking Mari Cha's 2004 record of 5 Days, 5 Hours, 38 minutes and 10 seconds
    Published on 07-20-2016 02:45 PM
    Article Preview

The tracker went live a few hours ago when Condor and Rio crossed the 200 nm and the
    anticipated finish of the 1st boats and division leaders is palpable!

As of this writing, Rio is just 63nm to finish and barreling through the Pacific at 18.6 knots
    and is expected in at 16:47 PDST, in just 3 hours or so...

http://pcup.org/track.html

DH1" Mas! continues to impress, now 301 nm to finish and doing 8.5 ...
    Published on 07-20-2016 10:14 AM
    Article Preview

http://www.vicmaui.org/tracker

Will the records fall? (July 20)

Today all eyes are on the Vic-Maui Elapsed Time Record, currently 9 days, 2 hours, 8 minutes set in 2000 by Jim McDowell on the Santa Cruz 70 Grand ...
    Published on 07-20-2016 10:02 AM
    Article Preview

Today was great. The sun came out with blue sky, and the Big P was a deep crystal azure. The winds were favorable 20knts and we sailed the entire day wing n wing clogging along t 7-8 knot. Jorge did his job and kept us on course, while we talked about movies and conspiracy theories and traveling in Tokyo. Did you know we didn't actually ever land on the moon AND that octopus are smarter than a 5th grader?

Today was captain Lad's bday, which we somehow overlooked his wife's hints to alert us. We were able to gather some items together and have a nice time out in the cockpit just before sunset. The moon and stars also appeared. Kathy and I watched the full bright moon dip and dive behind clouds in a dramatic fashion. Mars is visible too. This is the Pacific Ocean night sky I've been waiting for! A squall blew through and knocked Kathy and I out of our moon daze, Winds picked up to 33 knots and we had full main and headsail flying. It was a hairy few minutes but the boat and crew are fine. The squalls will be occurring with regularity the closer we get to Hawaii. Did I mention Hawaii is far? Its is the most remote chain of islands ON EARTH I am told. Farther away from land than any other islands. We are more than halfway, and can see the finish line approaching here in just a few days. Stay tuned in. And for those of you leaving comments, we love them but cannot respond back. But keep cheering us on and saying hi, we love it.

I'm going to go back on my 2am watch now and look at the night sky in the middle of the ocean. If this isn't nice....

AM Ketch
    Shadowside

Published on 07-20-2016 09:16 AM
    Article Preview

Randy Leasure is sailing his Westsail 32' Tortuga in this years Single Handed Transpac. Still a couple days out from
    the finish in Hanalei Bay, he was caught in the after ...
    Published on 07-19-2016 03:33 PM
    Article Preview

Everyone is Going Fast (July 19)

The Leaderboard looks funny as we re-started Turnagain and Forty in a new two-boat match race for supremacy in Cruising Class. We are not sure how to handicap tuna caught and lamb roast enjoyed, but we will try. Anyway, the different distance and start-time will makes it look like one of these two are leading the race for a while. To make the Leaderboard more accurate, make sure you click RECENT on the dropdown in the VMG box.

And speaking of leading the race, with 500 miles to go, a real battle for Line Honours between ...
    Published on 07-19-2016 03:12 PM
    Article Preview

New record race established

Overall winner of the race and with a new record in hand, Yann Guichard, Dona Bertarelli ...
    Published on 07-19-2016 11:31 AM
    Article Preview

The fleet continues its march to the Mai Tais, but not without collateral damage.
    Many boats are reporting various amounts of unfortunate incidents from shredded sails,
    failing electronics, damaged rigging, rudder damage... the list is long... Fatigue is also
    rearing its ugly head, especially in the double handed fleets, but they continue to push...

DH1: Mas remains the triple crown leader and has just sacked a ...
    Published on 07-19-2016 09:48 AM
    Article Preview

http://www.vicmaui.org/tracker

Kinetic update Mon Jul 18 at 0345 HST
    We are about 825 nm fom the finish line, so about 1/3 of the race distance remains. We just sailed within 2 miles of Longboard and saw their lights as we passed them. Ahead and to the right, unseen and further away, is Valkyrie. The rest of the fleet is spread out behind us now. A few days ago, we were close enough to see Turnagain and Atalanta.

It is windy, about 22-25 knots, with a very lumpy sea state. Dark, of course, and Reigh's starboard watch is driving ...
    Published on 07-19-2016 09:40 AM
    Article Preview

Aloha! things are warming up out here. Shorts and sandals during the day. The winds are lighter but the boat is still surfing along. The water is more blue, but because of the cloud cover, it is not the intense violet yet. We are zooming along under spinnaker, so the conditions down below are far more comfortable. We enjoyed Fred Paxton's infamous brownies and a tasty turkey veg meatloaf from Robin with some amazing spicy mango sauce I found at Safeway (it had a monkey on the label, I had to try it!).

The days are long as although we are sailing across time zones, we are still on PST. We will have a full moon in a few nights - so even with the cloud cover, the nights are well lit so we can see the spinnaker, the foredeck, and some sort of horizon. We had a busy night with little sleep (time, tide, and sail changes wait for no man), but we are all caught up. Things (sock, shirts, boots) are starting to smell. No worries, though, in a few days, we won't even notice.

Flying fish and squid are zinging about. Plastic garbage is more noticeable. While sailing fast to Hawaii is our ...

• Right Side Sponsors

North Sails

Sail Tactics

Offshore Productions

101 Surf Sports

NorCalSailing

H2oshots.com

Quantum Sails

RBS Battens

Whitecaps Marine

Advertise with US