Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southern Cross Race, 9/11

Southern Cross Race, 9/11

LIght winds, flat seas, and brutal tides greeted us for the annual Southern Cross regatta. Heading toward the Gate the fleet was greeted by a few pods of black dolphins who were working directly upwind fighting the tidal flood at superior speeds to our vessel. Under the bridge about 10 30, working the north shore, it was a challenge as threads of favorable water were not always in close, but in a few lanes on lay lines to the points. Getting beyond lands end was an impossibility for everyone except Ocelot, even the SC50 Emily Carr struggled to break free of Seal Rock. The south side kept pulling competitors back behind mile rock, the north side saw the swarm sailing in loops in and out of the flood and relief against the shore at Bonita. Eventually escape was possible as a weak northerly filled and the North side boats moved out into deeper waters headed SW towards the turning mark 12 miles away. Time was about 1:40 pm.

The fog rolled back in as we moved out from Ocean beach and a beautiful coastal scene was eclipsed into a gray pall with visibility down to a few 100 yards. All the boats evaporated into the haze. Patchy winds oscillated over 30 degrees but generally were from 245. Laying the mark involved a few tacks and the long slog ended at about 6 pm. The spin run home was uneventful except for hearing a ship in the channel blasting 5 horns nearly continuously for 5 minutes after sunset. A quick radar scan showed a competitor in line with the ships path about 3 miles west of the gate. Not a pretty experience aboard that race boat, now in total darkness and near zero visibility.

The Golden Gate was fetched at 10 30 in the dying ebb and of course the light conditions outside had now switched to 20knots on the stern as the finish was approached. The fog was high enough that the street signals were visible. The race ended on this boat around 10 50 pm.

Actually not a bad day. Slow most of the time but with flat seas sail handling was relatively enjoyable.

Brian

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That WAS the fleet all amassed by Mile Rocks at 1:00 PM....

Looked for spinnys on the horizon all afternoon, saw none, followed e-27's in to Yerba Buena the called it quits.

Gorgeous day, all in all.

Any on boat pics? Video?

Express 27-Select Gallery
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

You would have to have looked for Ocelot's kite at like 7:30 ! No photos because they would have been just ghostly white with all the fog after early morning. We didn't round the southern approach mark until 4:20..... ouch. Took us many tries to break free from Seal/Mile rock area and we were the only ones to do so until we couldn't see the corner any more with binoculars. We finished the Spinnaker Cup and the Windjammers in less elapsed time than this 30nm drifter.

Ouch! Gotta give you kudos for sticking it out!

COO of Unauthorized Sailing Divisions! war dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    You would have to have looked for Ocelot's kite at like 7:30 ! No photos because they would have been just ghostly white with all the fog after early morning. We didn't round the southern approach mark until 4:20..... ouch. Took us many tries to break free from Seal/Mile rock area and we were the only ones to do so until we couldn't see the corner any more with binoculars. We finished the Spinnaker Cup and the Windjammers in less elapsed time than this 30nm drifter.
    It sounds like I picked a good da- to be a soccer dad!!

Quote Originally Posted by war dog View Post
    It sounds like I picked a good da- to be a soccer dad!!
    Me too. I think they birthday party I went to on Saturday was more enjoyable than a drifter in the fog.... Way to stick it out Ocelot.

Ocelot stuck it out ? I did nt or hear them out there at 1100 pm ?

We finished @ 7:14'ish..... wrapped up at the dock by 9pm.

http://www.yra.org/OYRA/docs/Results...10_results.pdf

Was the RC there when Ocelot finished? They had gone when we finished on Always Friday so we followed the SI's and took our own time.

And way to stick it out Tesa, Red Sky, Ohana, Spellbound and X-Dream.

-Mike