Thread: Blokart / Landboat (is there such a thing) 101

COO of Unauthorized Sailing Divisions! war dog's Avatar

Blokart / Landboat (is there such a thing) 101

I asked this question in the rules thread but get the feeling I asked the wrong person so…………..

How would you in the know suggest someone who is interested in Blowkart or for that matter other types of wheeled sailing try it out? It is something I have been interested in since talking to (I think it was) Dorado on the other site. Is there anywhere within aprox a 1 hour drive from the SF bay area that rents the equipment and or some basic instructing and then lets you give it a try?

Make me a convert my wife would love it if I found another way to spend time and $$$

Your closest Dealer is Bob Casey in Reno. I am sure if you get in touch with him he will help you out. He is a top guy and very keen to get new people in the sport.

Blokarts of Northern Nevada
    PO Box 19712
    Reno
    Nevada

blokartsnnv@aol.com

Phone: +1 775 848 5226

One of the first blokart Dealers appointed in USA Bob is very experienced and has a wealth of knowledge.
    Local Cub: Windseekers blokart Club

Quote Originally Posted by war dog View Post
    I asked this question in the rules thread but get the feeling I asked the wrong person so…………..

How would you in the know suggest someone who is interested in Blowkart or for that matter other types of wheeled sailing try it out? It is something I have been interested in since talking to (I think it was) Dorado on the other site. Is there anywhere within aprox a 1 hour drive from the SF bay area that rents the equipment and or some basic instructing and then lets you give it a try?

Make me a convert my wife would love it if I found another way to spend time and $$$

Quote Originally Posted by war dog View Post

Dog, I'm down in the Ventura area. If you have any fairly flat area in the bay area it may be usable for land sailing.

One of the best things about the Blokart (blo not blow) is it's size is very manageable and it uses hand steering so us gimps can compete/sail too. Just another great example of how sailing is a true crossover sport that needs to me marketed as such.

As NZ mentioned contacting Bob Casey may be the first start. After the first of the year we will look at a few trips to the El Mirage Dry lake bed outside Victorville (about 2 hour drive for me) for some sailing and tuning for the North American Blokart Sailing Association Championships. (NABSAC).Bob and a few from his group might come down too.

Sailing the Blokart in a small area is fun, lots of turns and boat handling are learned, but the real fun is when you get to the dry lake beds and let your speed climb to your limits (not the kart's). Doing 50mph by wind poser is something every sailor should experience. It's also very in-expensive compared to regular sailing.

I suggested Alameda NAS a while ago..... Don't know who to ask for access, but should be big enough with fairly reliable wind.

Edit to add a link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
    Last edited by familysailor; 12-04-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Add link

Wasn't Ocean Beach or Dillion Beach an option? How about Treasure Island?

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Do they make RC landboats/blokarts?
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery