Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Sale: Farr 30 - Trunk Monkey

For Sale: Farr 30 - Trunk Monkey

We are selling the MummFarr. We have been campaigning the 18 in preparation for the JJ's in Australia and the Farr has been sitting on the dock at the SFYC, needlessly neglected.

We just aren't focused on campaigning it as it should be. Our "fun" boat is the 49er and we have committed to campaigning the 18 for the next few years, so the FarrMumm is on the block.

Below is the advert we have put out to the class and several prospective teams who have shown interest.

We are always available for any questions. My email is:

ninerslr@Yahoo.com

Thanks,
    Skip McCormack

For Sale (by Owner)

1997 Ovington Farr 30 (Ex Mumm 30)
    USA 630
    USCG Documented Vessel – “Trunk Monkey”
    Asking Price: $92,500 (o.b.o.)

The boat was purchased in early 2009 with the goal of sailing double handed to Hawaii in the 2010 Pacific Cup. The boat also raced successfully in inshore/offshore PHRF during 2009 and 2010.

Work Completed in preparation for a safe ocean crossing:

1. faired and sprayed a new Proline 3066 epoxy bottom
    2. removed and replaced all stainless steel through deck fasteners, nuts and washers
    3. repaired all water damage in cockpit floor around hardware
    4. counter-sunk and water-proofed all new deck hardware
    5. installed 2:1 halyard for easy reefing
    6. re-painted foredeck non-skid with Awlgrip
    7. G-10 backing plates added behind stanchions for strengthening the hull to deck joint
    8. rebuilt both masthead B& G displays
    9. re-wired the electrical system with new 85amp alternator, electrical panel, 2 group 27’s and installed a navigation table/compartment above the engine
    10. added a masthead vhf antenna (removable)
    11. custom carbon masthead mount for the tri-color Lopolight (removable)
    12. custom carbon and foam transom mount for an emergency rudder (removable)
    13. custom ‘transfer’ bow sprit (removable)
    14. strengthened the bow knuckle for bobstay attachment
    15. added bracket for a 4 person hard cased life raft behind tiller (removable)
    16. new running rigging
    17. built custom Kevlar reefing diaper for boom
    18. added custom built pipe berths for offshore.

The mast was new in 2008, Southern Spars number 298. (We have numbers regarding the bend characteristics and can forward upon request). The Triad trailer was purchase brand new in 2007.

Sail Inventory

Uphill
    1. 1998 Hyde PBO Main, #1, #2, #3 (we use these as our primary set, still in fair shape)
    2. 2001 North Main*, #1, #2 (Heavily used main, medium used jibs)
    3. 2006 Quantum Main*, #1, #2, #3 (Slightly used)
    4. 2008 Quantum Main, #1, #2 (12 hours total use)

* Reef points in class mains are typically “cosmetic” to comply with class rules. For safe ocean racing, these two mains had all reef points re-built and added second reef point to meet load requirements for prolonged rough weather sailing.

Downhill

1. 1999 Doyle .6 AM (Fair)
    2. 2000 Hyde S-1 Reacher (Poor)
    3. 2000 Hyde S-2 .75 Runner (Good)
    4. 2006 Quantum R-1 Asym (Great)
    5. 2006 Quantum C1 (Good)
    6. 2006 Quantum C2 (Great)
    7. 2007 Quantum S1.5 (Excellent)
    8. 2007 Quantum A1 Asym (Excellent)
    9. 2010 North A6 Asym Frac (Excellent)
    10. 2010 North A2 Asym (Excellent)
    11. 2010 North A4 Asym (Never been hoisted. Excellent)
    12. 2010 North 125% Jib Top (Fair)

The boat is configured for easy transition from short handed PHRF racing back to one design compliance.

Results

• 1st – 2010 Double handed Spinnaker Cup
    • 1st – 2010 Single handed Farallones- Sportboat division
    • 1st – 2010 Wosser Cup – Spinnaker Division
    • 4th in class, 24th overall – 2010 Pacific Cup
    18' Skiff - USA Black
    18' Skiff - CT Sailbattens

We can all thank JP, he named the boat!

I think I'm going to use this thread as a repository for vids and pics if nobody objects... We will point prospective people to this site for the full detail.

2010 Spinnaker Cup - (Pre-crash...)

2010 Pre-Pac Cup - bowsprit and A1 test

2010 Pre-Pac Cup - A6 test
    18' Skiff - USA Black

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here is that *%$^ing Monkey now!

I'll be if you threw in a couple *official pressure drop* 2010 Calendars it would sell in a heartbeat!
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Side-note: I just watched the Trunk Monkey youtube clip. Awesome!

Trunk Monkey Price Reduction

Okay, after lots of deliberation and debate... We are ready to aggressively market the Monkey.

We are focusing on our 18 foot skiff campaign and the costs of storing and keeping the Monkey in top shape are no longer a priority.

We have dropped the price to $65,000.

I can be reached at my email: ninerslr at yahoo.com

Thanks,
    Skip

(Recent 1st place in Division 1 at the Leukemia Cup to add to the list of Results!)

Quote Originally Posted by ninerslr View Post
    We have dropped the price to $65,000.

I can be reached at my email: ninerslr at yahoo.com

Thanks,
    Skip

(Recent 1st place in Division 1 at the Leukemia Cup to add to the list of Results!)
    USA 630

That's $ 27,500.00 in 11 months! (or $2500 per month)

If I wait 26 months, it will be FREE! And the rate that my savings are depleting the timing will be perfect!

You don't mention livable amenities, how's the galley, salon and sleeping quarters?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Tuna View Post
    USA 630

That's $ 27,500.00 in 11 months! (or $2500 per month)

If I wait 26 months, it will be FREE! And the rate that my savings are depleting the timing will be perfect!

You don't mention livable amenities, how's the galley, salon and sleeping quarters?
    Hah; yeah, and if you wait 27 months we will pay you to take the thing...

Livable amenities? Sorry, we are keeping the single burner. But the port-o-potty comes with a seat warmer.

Let's just say priorities shifted. We just bought another 18 foot skiff that is traveling in the container between NZ, AUS, Europe and SF. We came to the conclusion that we would rather spend our money campaigning the 18 then doing another short handed Pac Cup campaign. So we dropped the price in line with the last 4 Farr's sold in the US over the past 8 months in an effort to aggressively get rid of it.

Hopefully someone realizes that the only Ovington with a new stick and a new trailer is kind of a good deal...

We are ready to pass her on and focus elsewhere. Wish we could afford to campaign both.

(BTW, I was just "informed" our skiffs were renamed, "His" and "Hers". She got the new one. I'm not going to argue...)
    18' Skiff - USA Black

Awesome commitment for you guys! You got Hamlins last boat then?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Brass Balls View Post
    Awesome commitment for you guys! You got Hamlins last boat then?

Thanks! We are REALLY damn excited. Howie is keeping his two boats down in LA to use for training and rig/sail testing with the Glasers. He has the two boats pretty evenly matched so the incremental changes in the sail plans and rig stiffness are quickly apparent.

We are picking up Alex Vallings 'CT Sailbattens', the one of the NZ skiffs that was up here for the SF International event. We don't take possession of the boat until this year's Mark Foy in Auckland. He has picked up his new boat from Van Munster and it's getting put together as we speak.

We are still working on our boat handling and choreography across the boat, but we will no longer be the only boat with pin-head mains! We have a way to go with our maneuvers, but at least this boat gives us a few years to grow before we have to jump again to catch up with the equipment curve.

Can not wait for NZ!!