Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SF About To Get Scrooged?

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

SF About To Get Scrooged?

We have been following the ongoing trials and tribulations about the Americas Cup Host City process for nearly a year now,
    and the overwhelming joy that the speculation of actually holding the Cup in San Francisco has certainly had its ups and downs. With 12 days until the 31st when the Cup Host City is due to be announced, there is further speculation that Newport Rhode Island is about to be announced as the new front runner by some groups. In fact there is a scheduled announcement of some sort to be made by the RIEDC and the Cup Authority this afternoon which may or may not define the fate of the Cup and San Francisco.

So in the spirit of the season we offer this mini-cup Christmas Carol for your entertainment!

The Books! The Books! They don't add up!

The shackles of a bad decision are forever, don't let this haunt you my friend!

There is but one person with the key!

Let the old man do his job and bring the Cup to SF, and make this a Christmas to remember!
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Well played!

Hope you were not expecting any Oracle items in your stocking!

America's Cup organizers say RI a top contender to be host
    5:49 PM Mon, Dec 20, 2010

NORTH SMITHFIELD, R.I. (AP) -- Organizers of the next America's Cup say Newport is a top contender to host the most prestigious sailing competition in 2013.

Golden Gate Yacht Club board member Tom Ehman said Monday that organizers are serious about holding the contest in Newport, but need assurances that Fort Adams State Park can be ready in time.

Newport is competing with San Francisco and other locations to host the competition. A venue decision is expected by Dec. 31.

Rhode Island officials say hosting the event could produce thousands of jobs in a state with about an 11-percent unemployment rate.

Rhode Island launched an aggressive bid this year to bring the America's Cup races back to Newport, which hosted the competition from 1930 until 1983.
    Pressure-drop.us ~It's not the size of the website, it's how you use it! ~

John Cotes Obituary for SF AC34 Hosting

So much for the idea that America's Cup race organizers were just courting Newport R.I. to get San Francisco to sweeten its bid for the 2013 races.

Facing a self-imposed Dec. 31 deadline to inform competitors about the location of the next regatta, race organizers say they are pursuing efforts to return the Cup to Newport, R.I., home to sailing's most prestigious event for decades.

"We are very serious in our intent to move forward with Rhode Island," Stephen Barclay, an official for BMW Oracle Racing and the Golden Gate Yacht Club, said in a letter to Rhode Island's economic development chief that was released today. "There is much to do to meet the timeframes we have set."

America's Cup officials, after voicing displeasure with the financial terms of San Francisco's bid, were talking with Rhode Island leaders as Mayor Gavin Newsom's administration put the finishing touches on its proposal last Tuesday.

Even after last-minute tweaks by San Francisco, talks in Rhode Island continued into the week, including meetings with Gov.-elect Lincoln Chafee, state Sen. M. Teresa Paiva Weed and Keith Stokes, head of the Rhode Island Economic Development Corp.

A letter from Barclay to Stokes that Rhode Island official released today reads: "Over the past week, you have clearly presented why Rhode Island, and Fort Adams State Park, in particular, has the capability to host the 34th America's Cup, one of the largest sporting events in the world in terms of economic benefit and mass media audience."

BMW Oracle Racing, owned by Oracle CEO Larry Ellison and sponsored by San Francisco's Golden Gate Yacht Club, captured the cup in February. The winning syndicate gets to choose where the next race will be held. Holding the cup in San Francisco is projected to create more than 8,000 jobs and inject $1.2 billion or more into the local economy.

Barclay, in an email, said San Francisco is not out of the running and no decision has been made yet.

But there's another interesting element in his letter to Stokes, where he writes: "On our side we must establish how the teams, visitors and VIPs will be accommodated and how we will raise the necessary corporate sponsorship."

The San Francisco proposal calls for a newly formed America's Cup Organizing Committee of influential and deep-pocketed civic and business leaders to raise $270 million in corporate sponsorships for the event. Barclay's letter suggests race organizers would take on that responsibility themselves in Rhode Island.

Perhaps race organizers view any potential land deal in Newport to be more valuable than the development rights to Piers 30-32 and the adjacent Seawall Lot 330 that San Francisco is offering. Barclay's letter indicates the Newport idea calls for team bases and public race facilities to be located at Fort Adams State Park, an 80-acre historical site containing the largest coastal fortification in the country.

Team officials are being tight-lipped on the Rhode Island proposal, but Stokes told the AP that it would cost race organizers as little as $10 million to make inprovements to hold the races in Newport. That's compared to at least $55 million race organizers would pay to shore up crumbling San Francisco piers. Race officials estimate that holding the event in San Francisco, including infrastructure work and pre-Cup races, would cost them about $500 million before factoring in income, like sponsorships.

Of course, all of this comes after race organizers in July announced that San Francisco was the only U.S. city in contention to host the next Cup, beating out previous hosts San Diego and, you guessed it, Newport.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...#ixzz18hKw0HMu
    Pressure-drop.us ~It's not the size of the website, it's how you use it! ~

I'm for having SF host the AC34 as much as the next bay area sailor, but do you think SF was ever really in contention given the boat choice? It seems to me the announcement of huge stayed rig cats as the next class of AC boat was when Larry's hand tipped. Stayed rigs in windy conditions, a lack of runway for ultra fast boats, and an ebb chop which would wreak havoc on boats designed on the edge of structural limitations are all realities of sailing in the bay which make SF an oxymoronic choice. The flat water and light winds of Newport is a more logical venue given the type of boats to be raced. I'm just sayin' ...

The winds and chop that are a part of sailing in San Francisco are what makes it attractive. The wind/wave height limitations of the Valencia race took away much of what AC is for me.
    Of course, I still think that the boats should get to the defender's designated location on their own hulls. Yes, the Defender ought to sail their boat on it's own hull from GGYC in San Francisco to Newport if that's the final location chosen.

Blog Entries

Stewies Take: Tire Kickin In R.I.

December 20, 2010
    Way Beyond Kicking Tires
    by Stuart Streuli
    As Monday’s meeting of the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation broke up, I sidled up to Tom Ehman of BMW Oracle Racing and put it as straight as I could.

“Are you just kicking tires?”

He looked me straight in the eye and shook his head.

“No, we’re way beyond that,” said Ehman. “I went all the way to Michigan [his native state], came back here. We brought a bunch of people in here, spent a lot of money. Larry [Ellison] has a house here.

“We’re looking for the best possible facilities that will happen reliably on July of 2012 and in a way that’s not expensive.”

Among the BMW Oracle Racing officials that visited Rhode Island last week were COO Stephen Barclay, Craig Thompson, CEO of the America’s Cup Event Authority, the organization tasked with running the event, and Iain Murray, the Australian Cup skipper from 1987 who will serve as regatta director for the contest.

But does this mean they are serious in their intentions; and not simply looking for leverage to get San Francisco to sweeten the deal. Who knows?

To his colleagues, Ehman is “The Chairman,” a man who’s experience working behind the scenes of the America’s Cup dates back to 1983. Others in the America’s Cup circle call him, not to his face, however, by less salutatory nicknames. Regardless of his reputation, he works for Larry Ellison and BMW Oracle Racing. And while he has an affinity for Newport—he’ll remind just about anyone who asks about Newport that he spent a number of years here in the late 70s and early 80s and was one of the founding forces behind Sail Newport, the public sailing facility that rose up when the Cup left in 1983—his job is to get the best deal for his team. If cozying up to Rhode Island without any serious intentions of consummating the deal—again—serves a purpose, then he would be negligent in not doing so.

Hopefully Keith Stokes and the rest of the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation had some hefty grains of salt in their pockets, though their abject enthusiasm, and Stokes’ irrepressible optimism would seem to indicate the state is all in.

“As a Newporter, I’ve always believed that San Francisco was a stalking horse for Newport,” Stokes said with a slight grin Monday evening. “I have absolute confidence in my community and who we are and our identity in sailing.”

However, the likelihood of last week’s multifaceted reconnaissance mission being a large charade seems to be sinking slowly. For one, the offer approved by the San Francisco Board of Supervisors last week has been deemed by multiple people inside BMW Oracle Racing as not acceptable because it puts too much financial risk onto the event authority, which would need to somehow come up with close to $300 million for the required infrastructure. The numbers for a Cup Match in Newport are a small fraction of that.

“We’re not looking for public funding of teams or the event,” said Ehman. “We’ll go out and get sponsors and television. What we’re looking for is shoreside facilities for a world-class event. That’s become expensive in San Francisco. And it looks like it’s available here, now, at a very reasonable rate to everyone in what could be a world-class event facility.”

Read More at Sailing Worlds Blog:

http://www.sailingworld.com/blogs/wa...-kicking-tires
    Last edited by Photoboy; 12-20-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Crikey Erik, I filed that story like 2 minutes ago, and you've already snaked it!??! Don't you have anything better to do? Here's the link, http://www.sailingworld.com/blogs/wa...-kicking-tires just in case you'd like to support the source of the journalism (yes the click-thus do matter). Hopefully I don't sound like a homer. Obviously, the Cup in my backyard (Newport) would be mighty convenient. But I'm not ready to buy everything they're selling. Tried to report it as objectively as possible.

-Stuart Streuli, Sailing World

Blog Entries
    Time waits for no man...nice report homer....your click clicky thing is right there...

P. S. Packers shoulda won last night...

Thhhhppppttttt