Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 20k pet

Quote Originally Posted by Zipped View Post
    I just read an article the other day talking about pet insurance. The insurance typically comes out to $1 a day according to the article so they suggested that you just put a dollar a day away for the pet and you'll be set.
    Guess that works as long as the bill is less than $365 a year, I wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad View Post
    Guess that works as long as the bill is less than $365 a year, I wish.
    yeah but I don't expect the pet to have many problems the first few years. you'll have $2000 every 5-6 years. I guess it really comes down to what pet you have. If you get a golden retriever you have to know that you're going to get boned by the bills when it gets older. We have cats and other than the initial bills after 7+ years the only big trip to the vet was for a cyst in an ear. If you're going to get a pet that is known to have issues then yeah, you should probably get insurance but if not, then I don't see why you shouldn't just set aside money yourself

Group 3 Studmuffin Sanity Check's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipped View Post
    yeah but I don't expect the pet to have many problems the first few years. you'll have $2000 every 5-6 years. I guess it really comes down to what pet you have. If you get a golden retriever you have to know that you're going to get boned by the bills when it gets older. We have cats and other than the initial bills after 7+ years the only big trip to the vet was for a cyst in an ear. If you're going to get a pet that is known to have issues then yeah, you should probably get insurance but if not, then I don't see why you shouldn't just set aside money yourself
    I'm not saying the idea of this type of self-insurance is wrong, but I do have reason to suspect there might be a wider benefit to getting a plan.

The last time I tried to get treatment for a cat, I was told that the reason I couldn't get an early appointment with the vet was that the pets with insurance coverage took precedence. The only way I could jump the line was to opt for emergen$y treatment.

The insurance coverage in question was that provided by the animal hospital in the same manner as Kaiser Permanente, and the whole spiel might have simply been a means to push me into buying in to the plan.

The vets want a steady revenue stream (don't we all?) and I think insurance is going to be the way of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad View Post
    Why not?
    you've obviously never heard me rant on insurance companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post
    I'm not saying the idea of this type of self-insurance is wrong, but I do have reason to suspect there might be a wider benefit to getting a plan.

The last time I tried to get treatment for a cat, I was told that the reason I couldn't get an early appointment with the vet was that the pets with insurance coverage took precedence. The only way I could jump the line was to opt for emergen$y treatment.

The insurance coverage in question was that provided by the animal hospital in the same manner as Kaiser Permanente, and the whole spiel might have simply been a means to push me into buying in to the plan.

The vets want a steady revenue stream (don't we all?) and I think insurance is going to be the way of the future.
    that's not a benefit...that's bullshit. and another way for a middle man to separate you from your money for no damn good reason.
    that's all i am gonna have to say about this or it will get into an ugly rant.

Quote Originally Posted by elle View Post
    that's not a benefit...that's bullshit. and another way for a middle man to separate you from your money for no damn good reason.
    that's all i am gonna have to say about this or it will get into an ugly rant.
    I regret the extent to which my less than exquisitely formulated group of words might have led you to direct a rant towards me. I have come to the opinion that despite its promise, insurance is in large measure a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by elle View Post
    you've obviously never heard me rant on insurance companies.
    No, but we can always save it for later

I guess I get a good deal, every claim has been down to accidents.

Slicing pads off because some shit head can't be bothered to put the beer bottle in the bin.
    Crashing into trees chasing deer and the odd bite from other dogs when playing.

At the moment its the only insurance that I am making on

But you're right, most insurance is bullshit.

I regret the extent to which my less than exquisitely formulated group of words might have led you to direct a rant towards me. I have come to the opinion that despite its promise, insurance is in large measure a scam.
    not directed towards you...towards the insurance scam.

sportin 3 corner pants hard aground's Avatar

wow, that's crazy. The vet would rather go through the bullshit of getting money from an insurance company rather than taking cold hard cash from a customer? Sounds like time to go vet shopping.
    Everybody needs to go out and buy a book and take it home and beat their TV to death with it - Ron Bennington

Quote Originally Posted by hard aground View Post
    wow, that's crazy. The vet would rather go through the bullshit of getting money from an insurance company rather than taking cold hard cash from a customer? Sounds like time to go vet shopping.
    No, not in the case I am referring to. The veterinary hospital was offering a Kaiser Permanente-type coverage for enrolled pets: a monthly fee to cover any problems.