Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: BYC Port Huron to Mackinac NOR

Quote Originally Posted by MDD View Post
    Overall in a race with as big of a fleet as the Mac is out of your control. You can race your ass off to beat similar size/speed boats, but you must be lucky to have the right weather over your fleet's part of the course to win overall. It has always amazed me how many people believe that somehow a rating rule, any rating rule, would be able to account for smaller boats sailing in different weather systems than bigger boats further up the track, regardless of if the smaller or bigger boats had the better weather.
    BTW, just realized, my avatar is from Sunday AM of '07 race.
    It's the boat that sails the best race, sails the best course up the lake, and has the best conditions suited for that particular boat. You can go to the right or the left, and the magnitude of how far you're willing to go to that side also plays a part. Sometimes to a point that overshadows the first 3 points I mentioned.

mak

There is an element of luck there too. Boats from the front to the back of the fleet can be sailing in completely different conditions. Sometimes they are relatively favorable, sometimes they are not.

P.S. Can we keep this site and thread about sailing, and leave the shit slinging out of it?. Enough.

Quote Originally Posted by barleymalt View Post
    There is an element of luck there too. Boats from the front to the back of the fleet can be sailing in completely different conditions. Sometimes they are relatively favorable, sometimes they are not.

P.S. Can we keep this site and thread about sailing, and leave the shit slinging out of it?. Enough.
    That's what we've been doing. You felt the need to bring that up?

I have deliberately not posted here earlier after reading the nonsense going in both directions. Yeah, Mark I did.

Quote Originally Posted by barleymalt View Post
    I have deliberately not posted here earlier after reading the nonsense going in both directions. Yeah, Mark I did.
    For the record I don't think that he wasn't doing anything wrong. He was protecting himself when his post was copied and eventually provoked into offensive. He personally would rather not be here to begin with. It's all done and over

mak

Quote Originally Posted by Gang Vang View Post
    For the record I don't think that he wasn't doing anything wrong. He was protecting himself when his post was copied and eventually provoked into offensive. He personally would rather not be here to begin with. It's all done and over

mak
    Agreed - on to other matters.

Anybody else hear a violin?

My condescending ass will be going up the shore course on Fast Tango. Some interesting conversations on this subject tonight. It will be interesting to see how things evolve.
    Whizzo Butter: "Absolutely indistinguishable from a dead crab."

Back to the point of this thread...
    So far, by my rough count, there are over 200 boats signed up for the BYC Mackinac.
    About: 62 on Cove/IRC course, 96 on Shore/PHRF course, and 41 on Shore/Cruising course. There are also some multi-hulls and double handers I didn't count.
    A quick check of these three courses last year came up with about 178 and in 2009 - 170.
    For those who love making this about a rule, the Cove/IRC course is down about 18 boats from last year and cruising is down 11 while the PHRF/shore course is up 51. The main classes that moved from long to short course seem to be J120's and NA40's.

With a couple more boats still to register(?), it looks like a good year for the race.

Hmm, if the trend continues, they will have to move the party to Monday, cuz everyone will be gone by Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris O View Post
    Hmm, if the trend continues, they will have to move the party to Monday, cuz everyone will be gone by Tuesday.
    Sad but true. I know I have said it before, but will say it again. I don't get why a 40+ foot boat would want to go through so much effort to sail 200 miles. For all the time and prep work that goes into doing this race, not to mention arrangements to get the boat back home, to do 40 hours of sailing (let's hope these J120's and NA40's are at least 5 knot SB's), seems a lot to me. 24 boats 40' and longer are doing the short course PHRF race. From those of you outside the mid-west, it takes a boat about a 8-10 hours to deliver from Detroit to Port Huron where the race starts (about an hour drive from Detroit). Then you race to Mackinac, which is 200 nautical miles past that (5 hour drive from Detroit).
    My feeling for these guys is go big or stay home, but, to each their own. If this is how they enjoy their time, so be it. Seems to be that shortening the race is helping increase numbers the way Marathons adding the Half-Marathon option increased the number of "marathon racers".