Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LMPHRF and US Sailing

LMPHRF and US Sailing

I received my renewal for LMPHRF and there is now a requirement for having a US Sailing membership. WTF> how can we influence the US Sailing board if they don't start to see it where it hurts. In $$$$. It seems like it will be business as usual.

J/92 Ragtime!
    How else will you get "your passion, organized?" (Smiley thing)

Do you get a big discount on the LMPHRF side?

No discount, they will not offer a PHRF cert without a US Sailing membership.

J/92 Ragtime!
    Encourage the clubs to accept 2010 certificates for this year. Your PHRF committee will get the message pretty quickly that this is not the time to force an extra $60 membership on people. Some of our races allow certificates from other regions - that would also work in the short run.

This really shouldn't be a big deal for people...$105 for a new cert and US Sailing membership is not that much money in the grand scheme of things...take one night off from going out dining and boozing and after paying for a sitter, you have it covered

IMHO

Hroth

J/92 Ragtime!
    It's not just the cost Hroth - I'm a member now.

Membership needs to be a choice so US Sailing remains accountable, especially in light of its last attempt at forced membership.

US Sailing has no business forcing itself on a local PHRF region. Are they trying to take control of PHRF ratings? Those are supposed to be based on observed performance among local boats in your local sailing conditions.

sportin 3 corner pants Marie Laveau's Avatar
    @Dyslexic Dog: That's abject bullshit. I'd tell your local PHRF guys where to stick that crap... BobJ is right on.

Quote Originally Posted by Marie Laveau View Post
    @Dyslexic Dog: That's abject bullshit. I'd tell your local PHRF guys where to stick that crap... BobJ is right on.
    While I tend to agree with the sentiment, what'll wind up the result? ... DD won't be able to sail in the races he enjoys.

Most of the local PHRF offices are directly involved in US Sailing. They tend to want you to support their 'parent' organization!

I think it would be smarter on US Sailing's part to drop their membership price back to $20 and encourage offshoots like LMPHRF to put out a (bit) lower cost certification for US Sailing members ... maybe the current $45 for members and $55 for non members?

LMPHRF does a decent job (don't hear that often!), with very few legitimate complaints about politics and favoritism and pretty stable ratings.

Haz

Quote Originally Posted by Haz View Post
    While I tend to agree with the sentiment, what'll wind up the result? ... DD won't be able to sail in the races he enjoys.

Most of the local PHRF offices are directly involved in US Sailing. They tend to want you to support their 'parent' organization!

I think it would be smarter on US Sailing's part to drop their membership price back to $20 and encourage offshoots like LMPHRF to put out a (bit) lower cost certification for US Sailing members ... maybe the current $45 for members and $55 for non members?

LMPHRF does a decent job (don't hear that often!), with very few legitimate complaints about politics and favoritism and pretty stable ratings.

Haz
    Wanting you to support their parent organization and forcing you to do so are two vastly different things. If USS added perceived value, sailors would support it. IMHO, USS is way out of touch with the group they supposedly represent. Instead of forcing people to support USS, why not try asking people what they want USS to do for them, instead of the other way around?. $50 is meaningless compared to what most of us spend on sailing in a year.

sportin 3 corner pants Marie Laveau's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haz View Post
    I'm not ok at all with someone holding a proverbial gun to my head which is exactly what you're describing. Acts like the aforementioned tell me that USSailing is damn well aware that they're not doing what the sailors want but they don't give a flying shit because they can coerce sailors into joining anyway.

It's not about the money... there are entry fee discounts for USSailing members and I'm fine with paying more to race, but I'm damned if I'll directly support an organization with whom I am not in agreement.

USSailing needs to think real hard about these sort of acts - they're only serving to alienate more people, and if enough people are alienated, we'll be enough to organise our own sandbox to play in...