Thread: Chicago -Area III Pressure Drop

Chicago -Area III Pressure Drop

The local status quo blows chunks here...
    The T is silent like the P in swimming

April 8, 2010 (CHICAGO) -- The Chicago Yacht Club announced today that the 102nd Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac, Presented by Veuve Clicquot is sold out at 375 paid entries.
    'We are very pleased that the race continues to have such a wide appeal across the region and nationally. We are especially pleased that we could open up the race to more boats in 2010 to meet the increase in demand,' said Greg Freeman, Race Chair.

Boats that want to enter the race may ask to be put on the wait list. Interested skippers should contact the Chicago Yacht Club at the e-mail address below.

'There are always boats that drop out and we’ll do our best to accommodate as many of the wait listed boats as we can. We encourage them to submit their entries as soon as possible since the wait list will be managed on a first come, first served basis,' Freeman adds

One design fleet requests for the 2010 Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac need to be submitted by Friday, April 9, 2010.

The Schedule of Events for the 2010 Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac is posted on the race website at www.cycracetomackinac.com

For more information please contact racecoordinator@chicagoyachtclub.org

Brief History according to "Robin":

You need to understand the origins of LMSRF in order to answer the question what should it be doing and where has it failed. When I first started racing in Chicago the structure was USYRU (United States Yacht Racing Union) -- the national organization -- it in turn provided authority to various regional authorities to govern yacht racing pursuant to USYRU rules. At that time it was LMYA (Lake Michigan Yachting Association) an organization that still exists by the way. The Chicago Yachting Association was the mechanism used by the Local clubs to coordinate their calendars for races etc and to permit non members to race in all races sponsered by other CYA member clubs--the so called AREA 3 did not exist.

Many of the senior racers in Chicago believe that LMYA was so focused on non sailboat racing activities (sounds like one of the complaints about USSailing today)that LMYA was not serving the needs of racers or of the Chicago Area Clubs. So they organized a revolt and persuaded a sufficient number of clubs outside of Chicago to assist the revolt. The key was to obtain the area designation from USYRU. The organizational meeting of the proposed new designee LMSRF was at Chicago YC Belmont Station a long time ago. I was there and signed up and have been a member ever since. The new organization was to have as its only focus, as the name implies, sailboat racing on Lake Michigan. It was always, however, a creature of AREA III and supported AREA III activities much more than it supported activities in other areas.

LMSRF was intended to and did for a substantial period of time provide for a substantial improvement in racing focus on Lake Michigan. When it came into being it created the local AREA III office and supported it with dues of both clubs and individual members. It paid for the development of the scoring and posting, the web site (this of course came later)it also took over the oversight of various youth and adult championships for Area K that lead into the national ladder for competition. So it is still a need sailing organization. Does that justfy its existence in its current form--probably not but we, as sailors need regional organizations to coordinate cross club and area wide competitions.

The role of LMSRF can be changed in a minute through your club or by your active participation. AKAGP's extreme position does not fully work for me because it further Balkanizes yacht racing. It is absolutely true that "AREA III" can within its own region run its own races pursuant to rules laid down by ???. AREA III as we discuss it is even missnamed. It should actually be Chicago Area. AREA III does not have any non Chicago Club race on the schedule and not even some of the races sponsored by Chicago Clubs. Clubs have taken to deliberately withdrawing certain races or regattas from the "AREA III" schedule so that they do not have to share revenue thereby creating shortfalls in all budgets except those that believe they have the draw to go it alone.

Enough already. I do not have an answer.

Robin

(lifted from another site-for educational purposes)

I've already taken the names:

Grinder
    AkaGP
    Teddy
    WhereTodaySkip?
    The other mongo
    Irish Driver
    Ike Scott
    TsunamiMike
    Trimmed for Speed---
    5degrees
    Flying Wasp
    Sailor 90
    Christian
    Sailor is a Punk
    JoeO
    ChiGuy
    CleanIssoCool
    Rich Frye
    caribou
    Willsail4food
    REW
    RO!
    Seadog14
    Moxie
    chaosmaster
    RtWL
    strbrdtckr
    ockam-nokam
    And Last but not least _Vegas_

If you guys want your handles, they'll cost $20 each. CleanIsSoCool, yours will cost $500... Once I've got the cash in hand I will change over the email registery and will give you a temp password. I recommend you change the password right away, I might change my mind and charge you again for using my password..

Later suckers.
    Last edited by Blubberboy; 04-09-2010 at 08:24 PM.

$500 and this could be you... hahahahahahahha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blubberboy View Post
    I've already taken the names:

Grinder
    AkaGP
    Teddy
    WhereTodaySkip?
    The other mongo
    Irish Driver
    Ike Scott
    TsunamiMike
    Trimmed for Speed---
    5degrees
    Flying Wasp
    Sailor 90
    Christian
    Sailor is a Punk
    JoeO
    ChiGuy
    CleanIssoCool
    Rich Frye
    caribou
    Willsail4food
    REW
    RO!
    Seadog14
    Moxie
    chaosmaster
    RtWL
    strbrdtckr
    ockam-nokam
    And Last but not least _Vegas_

If you guys want your handles, they'll cost $20 each. CleanIsSoCool, yours will cost $500... Once I've got the cash in hand I will change over the email registery and will give you a temp password. I recommend you change the password right away, I might change my mind and charge you again for using my password..

Later suckers.
    You forgot Hippie, Cooler by the Lake, SME, Codger and the occasional Militiagander weigh-ins

Fair Winds Maggie........../).......

Marjorie ‘Maggie’ Rogers: 1927-2010
    One of 1st women to crew Mackinac race, join Chicago Board of Trade

By Joan Giangrasse Kates, Special to the Tribune
    7:09 p.m. CDT, April 8, 2010

Marjorie "Maggie" Rogers liked to be where the action was — even if women "just didn't do that."

A proud feminist before the rise of modern feminism, Mrs. Rogers was one of the first women to crew the Mackinac Island boat race in the early 1950s.

"Her husband back then sailed, and even though women weren't supposed to race, she wasn't about to get kicked off the boat just when things were getting fun," said her daughter, Tracy Dickerson, with a laugh. "She crewed during the day and at night fixed delicious duck dinners for the men."

During the 1950s and '60s, the longtime Chicago resident learned to pilot a plane, scuba dive and even trap shoot, her daughter said.

"Maggie was a great cook, but she was no Molly Miss Homemaker," said Geri Lauric, a close friend since the 1960s. "She was a strong, independent woman with all the same interests as most men. What's more, she was on equal footing with them."

In the early 1970s, Mrs. Rogers again broke ground, becoming one of the first women to be admitted as a member of the Chicago Board of Trade and trade on the floor of the exchange.

"The physicality of the job didn't discourage her, but she did get a black eye once from being elbowed in the face," recalled her daughter. "She was a 5-foot-2-inch pit bull who'd scream at the top of her lungs and bore her way to the front of the trading floor."

Mrs. Rogers, 83, a former comptroller for the Berry Trading Co. in Chicago, died Monday, March 22, at St. Joseph's Hospital in Chicago, after suffering a stroke.

Over the years, Mrs. Rogers had traveled to cities all over the world, and in the mid-1970s was part of a monthlong safari in Africa.

"Most people collect things," said her daughter. "She collected experiences."

Born in Knoxville, Tenn., Mrs. Rogers was an only child and still young when her family moved to Cleveland. After a few years there, her family moved to Chicago's North Side, where she graduated from high school.

While still in her teens, Mrs. Rogers married a sailor serving in the Navy, with whom she had her daughter. That marriage ended four years later. She married two more times during the 1950s and 1960s, and both of those marriages were brief and ended in divorce.

Mrs. Rogers' second husband was a hunter, and the couple spent their honeymoon duck hunting — a trip made even more memorable after being mistakenly shot at by another hunter.

"It was one of those stupid hunting accidents you hear about, but fortunately no one was seriously injured," said her daughter. "When she got home, she just laughed it off and said, ‘Now that's what I call a shotgun marriage!' "

While raising her daughter, Mrs. Rogers worked for many years as a bookkeeper for small businesses and a law firm in Chicago. In 1966, she landed a job with Berry Trading Co.

"Her boss saw real potential in her and sent her to night school to become a trader," her daughter said.

In 1974, Mrs. Rogers became a member of the Chicago Board of Trade and began trading soybeans, corn and wheat on the floor of the exchange. She rose within the company to the position of comptroller before she retired at age 72.

"Her mind was sharp," Lauric said. "She pretty much had an answer for you before you even finished the question."

Mrs. Rogers had no other immediate survivors.

Plans for a memorial service in May are pending. For details, contact the Cremation Society of Illinois at (773) 281-5058.
    Sailing Forums - Where Smartphones Do Dumb Things

Verve cup....any other "west" coasters heading in?

everybody gets a trophy this year at Verve....

http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_sc...et.cfm?eID=340

PHRF 2 winners

Team Scout

3 great days of racing in Chicago on Circle A. Friday 3 races in 10-15, flat water, Saturday 2 races in 5-10, flat water, Sunday 2 races in 18-20 and 3-5 fts waves. 158 boats in the regatta and 3 days of free rum and beer for two hours each day at the YC parties.
    Attached Images Attached Images