+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What it was

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What it was

Gary Gebhardt's old custom Holland 47 IOR Warhorse "Infinity" still sits on the hard
    and in the yard in Richmond...

What was the story behind this?
    " I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

Just a flesh-wound. It'll buff out.

Group 3 Studmuffin Sanity Check's Avatar
    That's why you should always carry booze on board.

Collision between Infinity and (can't remember) prior to the start of the Great Vallejo Race in 200X. There was a very serious injury involved, and as far as I know it's still in the courts.

despondent correspondent Photoboy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks J-Bob, vaguely recalled the incident...curious as to the foot dragging in the repair department...

You bringing your boat out of mothballs to chase bunnies this weekend? Weather actually looks
    decent for a change...

" I just found out my nest egg has salmonella"

h2oshots.com Photo Gallery

J/92 Ragtime!
    I'm trying not to think about it. Working today instead of doing the delivery, working tomorrow instead of racing and working next week instead of hitting the show. It's been a tough year for some reason. Maybe it's time to go back into the corporate side.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Salvador View Post
    Collision between Infinity and (can't remember) prior to the start of the Great Vallejo Race in 200X. There was a very serious injury involved, and as far as I know it's still in the courts.
    2009 - the personal injury part was settled, as far as I know the property damage has yet to be settled.

A clear port starboard situation and the at fault boats insurance company elected to litigate the hell out of it to see how little they could get away with paying. Needless to say that didn't work as planned and backfired on everyone resulting in a > six figure settlement. Thank your US Boat insurance premiums for funding a losing proposition - they refused to back off with a losing case and they are probably $800K worse off for their piss poor judgement, which boaters will pay for.

The other interesting facet of this debacle is the fact that VYC after agreeing to hear the protest (which they were obligated to do) inadvertently decided to change their mind, despite a successful appeal to US Sailing/YRA. Essentially half of the entire executive staff at US sailing became involved and when VYC still steadfastly refused to hear the protest a hearing was convened with YRA and the at fault boat went down in flames, as they should have.

VYC nearly lost their right to host races in the process for being indignant jackasses. One of the biggest races on the bay came very close to being cancelled due to their indigence, as US sailing was ready to revoke their rights to host a race because of their steadfast refusal to conduct a protest hearing.

It gets more complicated that this with StFYC members at risk soliciting inputs from the YRA board president, which caused him to rescue himself from the matter entirely.

Local sailing politics lost out on this case, and they paid a hefty fine to challenge the situation. Their downfall was expert defense witness testimony that understood the sport and the rules very well, and could communicate this to the jury.

To my knowledge the property damage case is still pending but the defendant (Cox the attorney) got deservedly boned on the personal injury case.

+ Reply to Thread