Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Antigua Race Week questions

COO of Unauthorized Sailing Divisions! war dog's Avatar

Antigua Race Week questions

I'm starting to pack for Antigua race week and am curious what the expected conditions are this time of year. should I bring some light weight FW gear or are shorts and t-shirts plenty? Cell phone coverage and or what is the best way to send in updates to PD from the island? Any other tips/thoughts are welcome also.

Thanks,

WD

Temps in 80's during day, 70's at night. Humid and showery.
    Check with your hotel on wifi, other wise coconuts with strings might work.

Quote Originally Posted by war dog View Post
    I'm starting to pack for Antigua race week and am curious what the expected conditions are this time of year. should I bring some light weight FW gear or are shorts and t-shirts plenty? Cell phone coverage and or what is the best way to send in updates to PD from the island? Any other tips/thoughts are welcome also.

Thanks,

WD
    take a very light rain jacket for squalls. Other than that, shorts and UV t-shirts are fine for racin'. Very lightweight fleece sweater for the eves is the most you'll ever need, and you probably won't even need that.

Verizon on roam worked for me on occasion...depending upon the island.

Headed Offshore
    I'd say lots of sunscreen, board shorts, agree with Nick on lw rain jacket. I would also bring some Keens, Tevas, whatever to sail in depending on where you're going to be. I ended up with a foot full of coral in SXM once when sailing in bare feet.

Depends on the size of boat and where you are. I was in the cockpit and sailed most of the week in a bikini top and board shorts. Needed a spray top for the showers. The guy on bow spent a lot of time catching waves so he wore a spray top most of the time...bene 42.....Where are you staying and does the boat have a crew van. We stayed in condos at ??Jolly Harbor?? which was great from a startline perspective to easily get to the line regardless of where the start was....however, it was hugely expensive to get cabs to English Harbor for the parties. Lay day was spent downtown and had great goat curry. Drink the Old Style rum punches....You may not remember how you got home but it will be fun.

PS we had 25kts all day every day....it was the year Taco lost their rig in their practice before the week. Highlights: rounding marks with Wally's and thinking holy crap I hope they don't mess up and run us over.

Thanks K we have a Farr 40 and I'll be doing the bow dance...I'll pack a light top. Not sure where we are stayin but know its a house within walking distance of the club with a cook! I'm looking forward to seeing the Blue Taco and Rick as its been a few years!!

I hear English Harbor rum (from Antigua) makes a great gift for friends and family at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing-Fish View Post
    I hear English Harbor rum (from Antigua) makes a great gift for friends and family at home.
    As my 8 yr old daughter would say....KK.....I got the hint!

One last question...... I know we have reservations for dinner 2 nights one at the place upstairs at the YC and one at another place don't know the name but knowing the Owner it's nice......dress codes? Do I need to pack 1 pair of nice pants and a dress shirt or will decent shorts and shirt be enough? And shoes?

Thanks!!